imam pasand Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

imam pasand

5 posters

Go down

imam pasand Empty imam pasand

Post by bw Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 pm

i heard of these only yesterday. i was also told that alphonso is the fake king of mangoes and these are the real deal.  i am not crazy about mangoes but am curious to try these out. i have been promised a consignment.

-------------------------

None, for me, have seriously challenged the Alphonso, except for one so different from the Alphonso, and yet so good, that comparisons are really pointless.

This is the Imam Pasand, a mango that sounds like it should come from the Nawabi culture of the North, but in fact is from the deep South. Unlike other recently available varieties it wasn't developed at a research centre, but unlike most of the older varieties , its origin is not entirely obscure either. It comes from Tiruchirapalli (Trichy) where it is said to have been developed by the family that owns the Thathachariar gardens, a once sprawling estate at Srirangam, the island on the Cauvery, where the city's famous Sri Ranganathaswamy temple is located.

How a mango with such a Muslim-sounding name came from such a Hindu identified place is a mystery. Some have argued that it more likely was developed in the erstwhile Nizam's kingdom, perhaps in Masulipatam in Andhra Pradesh, from where it was taken to Tiruchirapalli. Another argument points to Tiruchirapalli's own years of Muslim rule, after the Deccan sultans seized it from the Vijayanagar empire in 1565.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2009-05-22/news/27663492_1_mangoes-alphonso-varieties

bw

Back to top Go down

imam pasand Empty Re: imam pasand

Post by nevada Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 am

OMG, feels like a blast from the past to hear about Imam Pasand again. In my childhood we used to go to various mango farms near my village and pick the choicest mangoes - rasalu, benishan, himayat, rumani, daseri, malguba, imam pasand etc. There used to be a reddy pasand variety too. Himayat used to have a great smell and intoxicatingly sweet taste.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:18 am

bw wrote:i heard of these only yesterday. i was also told that alphonso is the fake king of mangoes and these are the real deal.  i am not crazy about mangoes but am curious to try these out. i have been promised a consignment.

you'll always hear every indian state claiming at least a variety of mango that is better than alphonso.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:25 am

bw wrote:i heard of these only yesterday. i was also told that alphonso is the fake king of mangoes and these are the real deal.  i am not crazy about mangoes but am curious to try these out. i have been promised a consignment.

None, for me, have seriously challenged the Alphonso, except for one so different from the Alphonso, and yet so good, that comparisons are really pointless.

This is the Imam Pasand, a mango that sounds like it should come from the Nawabi culture of the North, but in fact is from the deep South. Unlike other recently available varieties it wasn't developed at a research centre, but unlike most of the older varieties , its origin is not entirely obscure either. It comes from Tiruchirapalli (Trichy) where it is said to have been developed by the family that owns the Thathachariar gardens, a once sprawling estate at Srirangam, the island on the Cauvery, where the city's famous Sri Ranganathaswamy temple is located.

How a mango with such a Muslim-sounding name came from such a Hindu identified place is a mystery. Some have argued that it more likely was developed in the erstwhile Nizam's kingdom, perhaps in Masulipatam in Andhra Pradesh, from where it was taken to Tiruchirapalli. Another argument points to Tiruchirapalli's own years of Muslim rule, after the Deccan sultans seized it from the Vijayanagar empire in 1565.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2009-05-22/news/27663492_1_mangoes-alphonso-varieties

The real king of mangoes is neither Alphonso nor Imam pasand. It is the chausa. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaunsa

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:51 am

Rashmun wrote:

The real king of mangoes is neither Alphonso nor Imam pasand. It is the chausa. chaunsa 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaunsa
yep, indeed it is. we call it 'Rasaalu' in Telugu.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 pm

One of these was dessert today. It's been a while since I had Indian mangoes.

imam pasand Img_2017
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down