To Kris Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Kris

3 posters

Go down

To Kris Empty To Kris

Post by Rishi Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 am

1. Do you support the policy of affirmative action for African Americans and American Indians in education and employment?
2. Do you support the reservation for SC/ST/BC/OBC/MBC in education and employment?

Whether you answer is yes or no, please give reasons why you feel that way.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

To Kris Empty Re: To Kris

Post by Kris Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Rishi wrote:1. Do you support the policy of affirmative action for African Americans and American Indians in education and employment?
2. Do you support the reservation for SC/ST/BC/OBC/MBC in education and employment?

>>>No. These programs have produced mixed results at best, after years of good money being thrown after bad. I will restrict myself here to 'affirmative action' since I have been out of the loop for quite awhile on the 'reservations' issue in India, although there may be many similarities. I would agree with your assertion in the other thread that certain groups have had psychological scars due to history, with respect to African Americans and Native Americans. Possibly many groups in the lower rungs of the Indian caste ladder fall into this category as well. It would be unfair to say 'well, that was then, today is a new day, let's move on' and wash our hands off of the issue. The flip side of this is an unending gravy train with no accountability. The latter is simply a feel-good strategy and a Band-Aid solution, which is what 'affirmative action' has turned out to be. It also breeds resentment among the majority and stigmatizes the people on the receiving end, because it is based on lowering standards to accommodate them. My suggestion would be to attack the problem at the root, by enhancing education at the foundation (school level)with better teachers and facilities and stop the differential standards at the college-entry level. On a related note, limit any special treatment at the collegiate level to financial help alone to people who are demonstrably economically disadvantaged, but are otherwise equal (in merit) or exceed their peers. This may cut across racial lines, but will probably be heavily be weighted in favor of disadvantaged minorities.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:1. Do you support the policy of affirmative action for African Americans and American Indians in education and employment?

>>>No. These programs have produced mixed results at best, after years of good  money being thrown after bad. I will restrict myself here to 'affirmative action' since I have been out of the loop for quite awhile on the 'reservations' issue in India, although there may be many similarities. I would agree with your assertion in the other thread that certain groups  have had psychological scars due to history, with respect to African Americans and Native Americans. Possibly many groups in the lower rungs of the Indian caste ladder fall into this category as well. It would be unfair to say 'well, that was then, today is a new day, let's move on' and wash our hands off of the issue. The flip side of this is an unending gravy train with no accountability. The latter is simply a feel-good strategy and a Band-Aid solution, which is what 'affirmative action' has turned out to be. It also breeds resentment among the majority and stigmatizes the people on the receiving end, because it is based on lowering standards to accommodate them. My suggestion would be to attack the problem at the root, by enhancing education at the foundation (school level)with better teachers and facilities and stop the differential standards at the college-entry level. On  a related note, limit any special treatment at the collegiate level to financial help alone to people who are demonstrably economically disadvantaged, but are otherwise equal (in merit) or exceed their peers. This may cut across racial lines, but will probably be heavily be weighted in favor of disadvantaged minorities.

What pisses me off in the US affirmative action is that it is open to all the Hispanics and messicans who might have crossed the border just few years ago, and all Africans who got GC in the last few years. Why should these people be given favors under a program which is designed to give preference to the historically oppressed segment in the US?

It is the same crap that is being pushed in India - with loud demands for Muslim reservation? Really...they were the rulers for a 1000 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down