how about idlis for dessert?  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how about idlis for dessert?

+7
garam_kuta
Merlot Daruwala
Jebediah Mburuburu
MaxEntropy_Man
nevada
truthbetold
Rishi
11 posters

Go down

how about idlis for dessert?  Empty how about idlis for dessert?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:33 pm

first off, madhuri dixit still looks so pretty (she was on the front cover of my sunday magazine):

how about idlis for dessert?  14coverFINAL

ok, now idlis (from the same sunday mag.):

source: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130714/jsp/graphiti/17110724.jsp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 minutes. The sweet idlis are ready.

You can do many other things with an idli. Smear it with jhola gur (liquid gur). Bake it with a topping of cheese and fruits, the chef suggests. Smear it with rabri and serve it. Or, mix some other grains in the rice and urad dal mix to give it a different texture and a mildly different taste.

Of course, sweet idlis don't excite all chefs. Praveen Anand, the executive chef of the Sheraton Park Hotel & Towers, for instance, says he would rather serve the traditional idlis with sweet accompaniments.

One accompaniment that works well is the Mangalorean dish ananas meneskai, a sweet and sour curry cooked with pineapples and tamarind. "This tastes great," he says. "We served this at a wedding recently and it was a big hit."

I see a whole new world out there — sweet chutneys and gravies being served with idlis. But I must also admit that I quite like the idea of turning idlis into desserts. Chef Mukherjee has several ideas — he says you can make a novel sweet by mashing some sondesh and placing the mash in between an idli that has been sliced horizontally. Don't cut it all the way, but leave the ends joined so that you have nice pocket for the filling.

And I would like to try it out with maple syrup. After all if you can have that with pancakes (another form of powdered cereal) why not with idlis? That will be a true coming together of the North and the South.

Blueberry Quinoa Idlis

(makes 20 portions)

Ingredients:

500g gobindo bhog rice 250g urad dal lwater as required 50g sugar 100g blueberry 100g quinoa seeds

Method:

Soak the rice and urad dal separately in water for at least one hour. The water should be almost double the amount of the rice and dal. Drain the excess water and make pastes separately in a grinder. Mix the rice and dal pastes. Add chopped blueberry, quinoa and sugar. Now leave the mixture for at least three to four hours to ferment. Put in an idli steamer for approximately seven to 10 minutes. Steam till smooth and fluffy.

Multigrain Chocolate Idlis

(makes 20 portions)

Ingredients:

500g gobindo bhog rice 250g urad dal water as required 100g chocolate chips 100g multigrain 50g sugar

Method:

Soak the rice and urad dal separately in water for at least an hour. The water should be almost double the amount of the rice and dal. Drain the excess water and make pastes separately in a grinder. Mix rice and dal. Add chocolate chips, multigrain and sugar. Now set the mixture aside for three to four hours to ferment. Steam for seven to 10 minutes in an idli steamer. Serve when smooth and fluffy.

Back to top Go down

how about idlis for dessert?  Empty Re: how about idlis for dessert?

Post by Rishi Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:54 pm

How does she look without the makeup?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Rishi wrote:How does she look without the makeup?
probably like you.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm

rishi,

Watch the link. That is closest you will get to mafhuri without make up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6R1Va1u0fI&feature=endscreen&NR=1

It is another story that you did not notice her lack of make up.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:49 pm

How about Tandoori chicken for dessert? Pour melted chocolate over it, sprinkle raisins and pistachio on top, smear it with ice cream, dip in sweet corn batter and deep fry it.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
probably like you.

HK,

You are a cruel man!

What did she do to you?

Why don't you wish her well?

I would not want even my worst enemy to look like me.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 pm

nevada wrote:How about Tandoori chicken for dessert? Pour melted chocolate over it, sprinkle raisins and pistachio on top, smear it with ice cream, dip in sweet corn batter and deep fry it.

+1000
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
nevada wrote:How about Tandoori chicken for dessert? Pour melted chocolate over it, sprinkle raisins and pistachio on top, smear it with ice cream, dip in sweet corn batter and deep fry it.

+1000
finally, dress it in a sequined lehnga and serve it while dil-deewana music plays.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:22 am

Jebediah Mburuburu wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

+1000
finally, dress it in a sequined lehnga and serve it while dil-deewana music plays.
ACCESS TO IYER CLUB DENIED

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:23 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:first off, madhuri dixit still looks so pretty (she was on the front cover of my sunday magazine):

source: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130714/jsp/graphiti/17110724.jsp.

Growing up, sweet idlis were very common spl during festivals. My mom would just add fresh grated coconut, jaggery and elaichi to the regular batter. And it was considered a very much traditional variant of the regular idli.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:42 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Growing up, sweet idlis were very common spl during festivals. My mom would just add fresh grated coconut, jaggery and elaichi to the regular batter. And it was considered a very much traditional variant of the regular idli.

ahem..growing up, huh? well..something like this, yeah ? http://cooksjoy.com/blog/2012/09/coconut-jaggery-kozhukattai-sweet-dumplings.html
how about idlis for dessert?  Coconut-Kozhukattai-Featured

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

ahem..growing up, huh? well..something like this, yeah ? http://cooksjoy.com/blog/2012/09/coconut-jaggery-kozhukattai-sweet-dumplings.html
how about idlis for dessert?  Coconut-Kozhukattai-Featured

No, modaks are stuffed with the sweet mixture. In the case of sweet idlis, the batter itself is made sweet. Actually, I was probably mistaken in thinking it was the regular batter. Looking at internet recipes, I think my mum was actually making sweet rawa idlis. That's why they used to come out so fluffy and good looking.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:29 am

Rishi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
probably like you.

HK,

You are a cruel man!

What did she do to you?

c'mon, you are a pretty boy and that's what i meant when i said she'd probably look like you. don't be coy now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:33 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rishi wrote:...I would not want even my worst enemy to look like me.
c'mon, you are a pretty boy and that's what i meant when i said she'd probably look like you. don't be coy  now.

Hoozay, you're driving Jebji insane with jealousy with your love talk to that breasty beauty. Be considerate please.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:36 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
probably like you.

HK,

You are a cruel man!

What did she do to you?

c'mon, you are a pretty boy and that's what i meant when i said she'd probably look like you. don't be coy  now.

berry clever.. not to shatter your heart, but off screen Maduri sports facial hair like most southern men?

aside - bhaiya, in the pun thread, did you figure out the difference between Coke and Coco-Cola, in god's own country

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:first off, madhuri dixit still looks so pretty (she was on the front cover of my sunday magazine):

there's nothing interesting about the face above. in other words, it's an ordinary - or commonly good-looking - face.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:48 am

garam_kuta wrote:
aside - bhaiya, in the pun thread, did you figure out the difference between Coke and Coco-Cola, in god's own country
i did not get the pun but am curious now. coco-cola = coconut cola?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 am

source: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130714/jsp/graphiti/17110724.jsp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 minutes. The sweet idlis are ready.

Madhuri is very pretty and charming!

I am not sure about idlis for desserts (but, to each his/her own taste)..When I get tired of idlis with different sambhars, many varieties of chutneys, podis (dry spice powders) and 100 different non-veg and veg curries..like to eat them sweet too- just with a little sugar and a spoonful of ghee!

Last edited by Maria S on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:56 am

there's nothing interesting about the face above. in other words, it's an ordinary - or commonly good-looking - face.
why don't you post pics. of some interesting faces (women). maybe one that has dark skin because the person plays tennis in the sun eVerRRryDdAY and the sun makes her skin even darker. let's see your choices jebji.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am

Maria S wrote:I am not sure about idlis for desserts (but, to each his/her own taste)..I like idlis and when I get tired of idlis with different sambhars, many varieties of chutneys, podis (dry spice powders) and 100 different non-veg and veg curries..like to eat them sweet too- just with a little sugar and a spoonful of ghee![/font][/i]
+1

variety is the spice of life. sweet idlis are worth trying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:58 am

Sweet Idlis are a Nazrani dish.

http://panchamrutham.blogspot.com/2009/10/sweet-idli.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
+1

+1 for variety is the spice of life:)

With  * for depends on what one thinks/assumes is worth trying!

Hmm..will think about it, thanks.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 am

Hellsangel wrote:Sweet Idlis are a Nazrani dish.

http://panchamrutham.blogspot.com/2009/10/sweet-idli.html
jebji doesn't care much for nazrani fare. he is busy ingratiating with the iyer boys and gurlz by wah wahing everything they say or do.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
i did not get the pun but am curious now. coco-cola = coconut cola?
may disappoint you, may not be good but for what it's worth: one is a soft drink, the other is a male organ

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am

Maria S wrote:
When I get tired of idlis with different sambhars, many varieties of chutneys, podis (dry spice powders) and 100 different non-veg and veg curries..like to eat them sweet too- just with a little sugar and a spoonful of ghee!

"idlis with...  100 different non-veg... curries..." -- maria s.

amazing!

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:28 am

Maria S wrote:
When I get tired of idlis with different sambhars, many varieties of chutneys, podis (dry spice powders) and 100 different non-veg and veg curries..like to eat them sweet too- just with a little sugar and a spoonful of ghee!

"idlis with...  100 different non-veg... curries..." -- maria s.

amazing!
there's nothing amazing about it. in other words, it's an ordinary - or common -- practice to eat idlis (rice) and appams with different curries (sambar -- note the sp. -- being one of them).

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 am

this thread is giving me nausea as usual.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:33 am

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/904875
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Maria S wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
+1

to be honest i would never try it. but someone else might so that won't stop me from advertizing it. kids, who are travelling abroad, have found a delicacy -- mcdonalds cheese burger (we don't get them with beef patties here). younger, who is thin as a bean stalk, wolfed down 4 macburgers for dinner today -- older said his appetite is unpredictable. actually he (younger) is the one who is making the best use of the money -- swims in every hotel and takes the complimentary massage and never skips the complimentary breakfast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Maria S wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
+1

to be honest i would never try it. but someone else might so that won't stop me from advertizing it. kids, who are travelling abroad, have found a delicacy -- mcdonalds cheese burger (we don't get them with beef patties here). younger, who is thin as a bean stalk, wolfed down 4 macburgers for dinner today -- older said his appetite is unpredictable. actually he is the one who is making the best use of the money -- swims in every hotel and takes the complimentary massage and never skips the complimentary breakfast.

"Think about it" ..is a stretch:) I'll never say say never..open to some-limited "experimentation" when it comes to idlis and foods I like (or what remotely seems like idlis- the title got my attention!) Don't think it will hurt me to take a bite of whatever mush of some baked rice and urad dhal maavu mix..and say "wow" or "yuck"! 

I like to see people enjoy what they eat..call me a food voyeur! What's the point of spending all that energy cooking or taking people to eat out and pay the big bill..if they are too fussy and finicky! And would not recommend something to anyone..if I have never tried/tasted..need to know- what I am talking about:)

But, my interest in creativity has limits too..people get all carried away I could not stick a knife into these "creative" (some very weird looking) cakes- and destroy the art work of a cake making artist..and often these cakes are yuck..all icing and tasteless..give me a good old plain pound cake..or the much ridiculed fruit cakes (love the ones they make in India!)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/cakes-inspired-by-books

Last edited by Maria S on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 pm

i have tummy boo boo.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm

My grandma used to make sweet idlies - not with regular mold but similar to kachipuram idli. It was made with batter similar to kachipuram idly in addition to jiggery and coconut.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Maria S wrote:
"Think about it" ..is a stretch:) I'll never say say never..open to some-limited "experimentation" when it comes to idlis and foods I like (or what remotely seems like idlis- the title got my attention!) Don't think it will hurt me to take a bite of whatever mush of some baked rice and urad dhal maavu mix..and say "wow" or "yuck"! [/font][/i]

I like to see people enjoy what they eat..call me a food voyeur! What's the point of spending all that energy cooking or taking people to eat out and pay the big bill..if they are too fussy and finicky! And would not recommend something to anyone..if I have never tried/tasted..need to know- what I am talking about:)

But, my interest in creativity has limits too..people get all carried away I could not stick a knife into these "creative" (some very weird looking) cakes- and destroy the art work of a cake making artist..and often these cakes are yuck..all icing and tasteless..give me a good old plain pound cake..or the much ridiculed fruit cakes (love the ones they make in India!)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/cakes-inspired-by-books
i can't access your link maria (from here, india, it says request-timed-out). but +2 to your "I like to see people enjoy what they eat..call me a food voyeur!" that's me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down