Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record

+11
Jebediah Mburuburu
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
truthbetold
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
Propagandhi711
goodcitizn
Merlot Daruwala
Idéfix
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Empty Re: Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the fundamental question is how successful the ploy of using gujarat's economic success to offset modi's image as a communally divisive leader is going to be.  the attempt at changing the conversation has definitely been loud, but will it also be effective? we'll see.

Modi is definitely communally divisive. But maybe Indians could benefit from a new party in power. It will clean out some of the staleness.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Empty Re: Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Not really. With institutions like BSE and NSE being located in Bombay, Maharashtra would not do anything to upset the goose that lays the golden egg. Also, Bombay alone contributes 20% of the state's GDP according the link above.
Not screwing up Bombay is good economic policy for MH. Not screwing up Ahmedabad and Surat is good economic policy for Gujarat. BSE and NSE don't drive investment flows and job creation in MH; state government policies do.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the fundamental question is how successful the ploy of using gujarat's economic success to offset modi's image as a communally divisive leader is going to be.  the attempt at changing the conversation has definitely been loud, but will it also be effective? we'll see.

Modi is definitely communally divisive. But maybe Indians could benefit from a new party in power. It will clean out some of the staleness.
I agree we need a new party in power. I don't think Modi is the right man though.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Does Maharashtra include Bombay?

what is the relevance of the question? does gujarat include baroda?

No Indian city can come any where close to Bombay in terms of economy. In fact, Bombay probably has an economy the size of some of the smaller states. And Bombay is not truly a Maharashtrian city. So if you include Bombay in Maharashtra's economy, the numbers are bound to be skewed.
Bombay is governed by MH. If the government of MH sets policy that adversely affects Bombay, MH GDP suffers. So the ethnic make up of the residents of Bombay makes no difference to the economic performance question we are talking about here.

Not really. With institutions like BSE and NSE being located in Bombay, Maharashtra would not do anything to upset the goose that lays the golden egg. Also, Bombay alone contributes 20% of the state's GDP according the link above.

although i don't agree with your premise for excluding bombay, i'll play along. the contribution of bombay to the maharashtra GDP even given your flawed approach of excluding bombay is not relevant, but how much bombay contributed to the 10% GDP growth achieved by maharashtra. in other words if you want to push this line of reasoning, you should be asking if bombay's GDP grew at higher rates than the rest of maharashtra rather than focusing on the size of the pie that belongs to bombay.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 pm

It has been fairly effective so far. The Modi propaganda machine has done an excellent job of selling the Gujarat growth story. I was surprised when I read a couple of months ago that the growth rates of Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu have all been very similar. I didn't have time then to dig into the numbers, and did so only yesterday because I was reminded by TBT's thread. But I was genuinely surprised by the actual numbers; I thought Modi's performance was much more exceptional than that, based on the tall claims made here and elsewhere by his supporters. I chalk up my surprise to the effectiveness of the loud and repeated claims of a Modi miracle in Gujarat.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Not really. With institutions like BSE and NSE being located in Bombay, Maharashtra would not do anything to upset the goose that lays the golden egg. Also, Bombay alone contributes 20% of the state's GDP according the link above.
Not screwing up Bombay is good economic policy for MH. Not screwing up Ahmedabad and Surat is good economic policy for Gujarat. BSE and NSE don't drive investment flows and job creation in MH; state government policies do.

Bombay also has a huge base of service sector jobs and as a percentage of income tax, Bombay is a huge contributor. One-fifth of Maharashtra's GDP is from Bombay alone. State government policies is not what brought Bombay to where it is. It is more historical than anything else. And Maharashtra has been lucky to have Bombay.

But going back to the topic, what are you so afraid of if Modi becomes Prime Minister of India?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Bombay also has a huge base of service sector jobs and as a percentage of income tax, Bombay is a huge contributor. One-fifth of Maharashtra's GDP is from Bombay alone. State government policies is not what brought Bombay to where it is. It is more historical than anything else. And Maharashtra has been lucky to have Bombay.
Most of what you said is irrelevant to the metrics we are comparing: growth rates of GDP. If I compared total GDP of MH and GJ, or per-capita GDP, these considerations would be relevant. Bombay's contributions to income tax have almost nothing to do with the growth rate that MH can achieve. Growth is driven by attracting real investments, building infrastructure, and creating jobs. All of those things are in the purview of the state government.

Hellsangel wrote:But going back to the topic, what are you so afraid of if Modi becomes Prime Minister of India?
I have already addressed that elsewhere, most recently here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Ha,
Bombay's contribution to national economy was more than 10% for a long time. The rise of southern cities reduced mumbai's) contribution as a %.

One of the articles you posted above gave numbers such mumbai pays 50 % taxes and 20 % Gdp of mh. Those numbers do not seem to be correct mumbais contribution in terms of Gdp is probably 50% or higher.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:carvaka -- thanks for putting this together. here are some other things i'd like to see compared between gujarat and the other industrialized states (if such data are available)-- labor participation of women, sex ratios, health indices, child mortality, overall and female literacy rates and general levels of education, and income distribution.
These data are harder to come by than GDP. Incidentally, that is one of Sen's critiques of focusing on GDP (or per-capita income) alone. The metrics you mention arguably more important to people in their everyday lives, but they aren't easily available because the government doesn't really focus on them. I will look into what I can find when I have some time, and post them here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Bombay also has a huge base of service sector jobs and as a percentage of income tax, Bombay is a huge contributor. One-fifth of Maharashtra's GDP is from Bombay alone. State government policies is not what brought Bombay to where it is. It is more historical than anything else. And Maharashtra has been lucky to have Bombay.
Most of what you said is irrelevant to the metrics we are comparing: growth rates of GDP. If I compared total GDP of MH and GJ, or per-capita GDP, these considerations would be relevant. Bombay's contributions to income tax have almost nothing to do with the growth rate that MH can achieve. Growth is driven by attracting real investments, building infrastructure, and creating jobs. All of those things are in the purview of the state government.

Hellsangel wrote:But going back to the topic, what are you so afraid of if Modi becomes Prime Minister of India?
I have already addressed that elsewhere, most recently here.

So who would you rather see as the Prime Minister of India?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

what's wrong with chidambaram, compared to the rest of the choices that is?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Idéfix wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:carvaka -- thanks for putting this together. here are some other things i'd like to see compared between gujarat and the other industrialized states (if such data are available)-- labor participation of women, sex ratios, health indices, child mortality, overall and female literacy rates and general levels of education, and income distribution.
These data are harder to come by than GDP. Incidentally, that is one of Sen's critiques of focusing on GDP (or per-capita income) alone. The metrics you mention arguably more important to people in their everyday lives, but they aren't easily available because the government doesn't really focus on them. I will look into what I can find when I have some time, and post them here.
Most state govts publish human devlppment index reports. Ap published such report around 2007.
Un organizations also publish such reports.
While you are looking for such data also look for poverty rates by caste catagories.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Isn't it the common problem with all Congress leaders that they are beholden to the Gandhi family who pull the strings?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Hellsangel wrote:So who would you rather see as the Prime Minister of India?
Answered that here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

chidabaram. Did he win his election for parliament in 2009?
There is no king in India who can appoint clerical type of pm( diwan. In olden days).
Who supports chidambaram?
However rahul can follow his mother and appoint chidambaram as paid driver pm while he runs car from back seat.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

chidabaram. Did he win his election for parliament in 2009?
There is no king in India who can appoint clerical type of pm( diwan. In olden days).
Who supports chidambaram?
However rahul can follow his mother and appoint chidambaram as paid driver pm while he runs car from back seat.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Answered that here.

I answered here about what is wrong with Chidambaram.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Ok. This thread provided significant information guj economic growth rate under Modi.
Does modi's economic success make up for his provocative attitude towards minorities? Even if does not instigate trouble would he be trusted in case of trouble? What about his aggressive followers? Would they be trusted to act with in law? Would he distribute resources on an equal as needed basis?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Max, here is some data on female labor-force participation rates (FLFPR) by state, and the change in those rates in the five-year period between 2004 and 2009. See page 18.

Women's participation in the Indian labor force has declined in the period. This is a worrisome trend, as mentioned in this report. I have charted below the decline in FLFPRs by state. The chart shows the number of percentage points by which FLFPR declined in each state: 
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur18

As you can see, India's FLFPR fell by 12.6% in those five years, from 52% to 40%. Gujarat experienced the largest decline of any major state in that period, of 19.3%. This chart is sorted in ascending order of FLFPR as of 2009; i.e. Bihar has the lowest FLFPR and AP has the highest. 

The chart below shows the actual FLFPR as of 2009. 
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur19
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:51 pm

thanks carvaka. didn't realize TN's numbers are worse than rajasthan's!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:thanks carvaka. didn't realize TN's numbers are worse than rajasthan's!

And Uttarakhand. Oh the ignominy!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Next, here is some information about gender ratios. The source is this Wikipedia page that uses 2001 and 2011 census numbers. 

The chart below shows change in gender ratio between 2001 and 2011. A positive number indicates improvement; i.e. the number of women per 1,000 men has increased. A negative number indicates a worsening of the situation, meaning that there were that many fewer women in that state in 2011, than there were in 2001. The chart is sorted in order of gender ratio, from lowest to highest. 
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur20

Between 2001 and 2011, India's gender ratio improved slightly, from 933 to 940 females per 1,000 males. Several states made substantial gains, including the states with the worst ratios. Among major states that are worse than national average, Gujarat and Bihar are the only states that got worse in this ten-year period.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Answered that here.

mousy chidambaram? what leadership qualities has he ever displayed besides being finance minister? it's like asking helicopter ben to run US govt. can he get the unruly douches from some of those unruly states under control, I highly doubt it. he'll be the effete singh part deux. there is no alternative to modi, baggage or not, imagined or not, not withstanding color coded barcharts by newly minted data scientists

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Here is some information about improvement in literacy in the last ten years, from the 2001 census to the 2011 census. The source is this Wikipedia page.

The chart below shows the percentage improvement in literacy rates. The chart is sorted in ascending order 2011 literacy rate. 
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur21

This shows that Gujarat's progress on literacy is near the national average. Maharashtra, which has a higher base of literacy than Gujarat, has made more progress than Gujarat during the same period.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Answered that here.

mousy chidambaram? what leadership qualities has he ever displayed besides being finance minister? it's like asking helicopter ben to run US govt. can he get the unruly douches from some of those unruly states under control, I highly doubt it. he'll be the effete singh part deux. there is no alternative to modi, baggage or not, imagined or not, not withstanding color coded barcharts by newly minted data scientists
I put Nitish Kumar ahead of Chidambaram. I agree with Merlot's suggestion in that thread that Arun Jaitley seems like a good candidate. There are all these alternatives to Modi; chanting "there is no alternative" like a mantram won't make it so.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Answered that here.

I put Nitish Kumar ahead of Chidambaram. I agree with Merlot's suggestion in that thread that Arun Jaitley seems like a good candidate. There are all these alternatives to Modi; chanting "there is no alternative" like a mantram won't make it so.
BTW, this isn't the first time I have gone to the source to get the raw data, did some analysis, and posted the results here. Here are a couple of examples from the past, using some of the same sources of data. 

https://such.forumotion.com/t10382-peeling-the-onion-on-india-s-gdp-growth
https://such.forumotion.com/t10378-school-drop-out-rates-in-india
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:thanks carvaka. didn't realize TN's numbers are worse than rajasthan's!

And Uttarakhand. Oh the ignominy!hing
India's mountain-states (Uttarakhand) women are real bread-winners in many families and do almost everything. Many families have men who are lazy with drinking problems and little to no education. Mountain region women are bold and decision making for their families.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

I am not so sure that the female labor force participation rate is as important as other, more significant, factors that contribute to the standard of living (and quality of life) in India such as:

GDP, inflation rate, cost of housing, education and healthcare, employment rate, literacy rate, poverty rate, life expectancy etc.

I am not sure if the government publishes the standard of living indicators by state and for India overall each year. They might be an ideal way to compare how each state administration is performing as against the others and the national average.

Equally important is to know how the revenue generated by the government is apportioned to meet factors that have a direct bearing on the standard of living, and whether or not it is an equitable distribution across the states on the basis of their respective contribution to the overall public revenue.

Of course, it goes without saying that the stability of party at the center will be key which brings us right back to the topic of discussion.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:16 pm

The Human Development Index is often used as a shorthand for the state of development. This is not a measure of just income, but a composite measure that includes measures of income, life expectancy, health, and education. Here is a 2011 report about human development in India. I used the data on page 24 to produce the chart below. The chart shows the percentage change in HDI in each major state between 2000 and 2008, the last year included in this report. I will continue to look for HDI trends into 2011 and beyond and post them here. The chart is sorted in ascending order of 2008 HDI. 
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur22

It is clear from this chart that Gujarat's improvement in human development significantly lags that of the country as a whole. This is not just because Gujarat is already more developed than the country as a whole; both large states that are more developed than Gujarat -- Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu showed greater improvement in human development than Gujarat. In other words, MH and TN have been pulling away from Gujarat in human development.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:28 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I am not so sure that the female labor force participation rate is as important as other, more significant, factors that contribute to the standard of living (and quality of life) in India such as:

GDP, inflation rate, cost of housing, education and healthcare, employment rate, literacy rate, poverty rate, life expectancy etc.

I am not sure if the government publishes the standard of living indicators by state and for India overall each year. They might be an ideal way to compare how each state administration is performing as against the others and the national average.
Yes, HDI is a much better measure of standard of living. It covers most of the items you listed above. I posted HDI improvement metrics above. With all the data I have looked at so far, my conclusion is:

1. If you look at development narrowly as GDP growth, Modi's record is good, but not great. Gujarat has kept up with its peers, not beat them comprehensively. And Gujarat has delivered higher GDP growth before. 

2. If you look at development holistically using HDI, Gujarat seriously underperformed compared to the rest of the country. It also underperformed in comparison to its relatively more industrialized peers.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:It is sickening to see how people waste their brains to indulge in hate-mongering against one person while ignoring the most important issues - development, eradication of corruption and building security. Even after seeing how China has become a strong nation, these brilliant people haven't changed. Looks like India can't be saved from these characters. Disgusting.
Guruvu-gaaru, how is it hate-mongering to show real data about the first "most important issue" you list -- development? Do the data presented disaagree with your preconceived notions? Is that the source of the disgust you feel?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:48 pm

all these % data...

% with respect to what?

over which year ? year to year or over 5 years or since independence ?

how about trendlines? that too for the last 5 years - that is what matters.

Or, we can continue to give ambiguous graphs without "clear" explanation.

and finally, what matters is the perception of the common man....

data means diddly to the denizens if there is no dough in the wallet and dough to make roti.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:all these % data...

% with respect to what?

data means diddly to the denizens if there is no dough in the wallet and dough to make roti.

the answers to all your questions are already there in the prior posts. it appears you have only nuNippul mEnjufied the posts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I am not so sure that the female labor force participation rate is as important as other, more significant, factors that contribute to the standard of living (and quality of life) in India such as:

Yes, HDI is a much better measure of standard of living. It covers most of the items you listed above. I posted HDI improvement metrics above. With all the data I have looked at so far, my conclusion is:

1. If you look at development narrowly as GDP growth, Modi's record is good, but not great. Gujarat has kept up with its peers, not beat them comprehensively. And Gujarat has delivered higher GDP growth before. 

2. If you look at development holistically using HDI, Gujarat seriously underperformed compared to the rest of the country. It also underperformed in comparison to its relatively more industrialized peers.
Statistics are like bikinis. What they show is interesting but what they hide is vital.

While HDI is a good way to assess the standard of living, the chart only shows by state its own growth rate in HDI from 2000 to 2008. For example, although you haven't included Kerala, it has the highest literacy rate in the country, yet also has the highest unemployment rate in the country. It is misleading to say that Bihar has done well in growing its literacy rate well above the national average and much higher than TN or Gujarat when its literacy rate (not its growth rate) lags far below the national average and far worse than TN or Gujarat.

It would be meaningful to see both the base level and the growth rate across the states to really understand how the states stack up against each other and against the national average.

Thanks for posting the link. HDI is a good indicator and the study is quite elaborate and intricate.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:24 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
It would be meaningful to see both the base level and the growth rate across the states to really understand how the states stack up against each other and against the national average.

hasn't he already done that? the states are arranged in increasing or decreasing order of the figure of merit or index of interest, while the bars show the rate of growth in most plots. kerala is always going to be an outlier and i think he has compared the large states (from the standpoint of population), especially those with a large industrial base. so what am i missing from your question?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

% with respect to what?

the answers to all your questions are already there in the prior posts. it appears you have only nuNippul mEnjufied the posts.
Yes, the graphs are only ambiguous if you look at them without reading the explanation attached. I have provided a link to the source for each chart, as well as a brief description of the data being depicted, how it was analyzed, and the time period in question. 

Saamiyaar, it normal human behavior when confronted with data that goes against one's beliefs to try to avoid reading it, and make up one's mind that it can't be right. But I am willing to answer any questions you have about the raw data, the analysis methodology, etc. if it is not clear to you after you read it carefully.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

hasn't he already done that? the states are arranged in increasing or decreasing order of the figure of merit or index of interest, while the bars show the rate of growth in most plots. kerala is always going to be an outlier and i think he has compared the large states (from the standpoint of population), especially those with a large industrial base. so what am i missing from your question?
That's right. I showed the base values for FLFPR in a separate chart, after sorting the percentage declines in the first chart, and keeping in the same order as the chart with base values. I felt that the second chart was redundant, and here is why.

When we are trying to judge the effectiveness of a particular government, what is most relevant is the improvement that they have brought about. The purpose of this thread is not to show which states are more or less developed; my purpose is to bring a data-driven perspective to the question whether Modi has a stellar record on development. And to be fair to all parties, I showed the states in the order of the base value of the index, to address the concern that it is harder to improve an already good position than a mess. So it is easy to see on the literacy chart that Bihar is in the worst position, and has made the largest improvement among the major states. Gujarat is among the three-best placed major states, but it has shown less improvement than Maharashtra, which has an even better position.

Last edited by Idéfix on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Typically a chart should indicate both the value and the change %. I didn't see the value, only a reference to it being in ascending order. Hence my comment.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Uppili, one more thing: if you don't trust that I have done an honest job of analyzing the numbers, you are welcome to repeat the analysis and post your findings here. That was the reason I posted links to my sources -- this is repeatable stuff.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Idéfix wrote:GC, please disregard the previous chart I posted on year-over-year growth rates. Those numbers were not for Gujarat, but Maharashtra. Here are the year-over-year growth numbers for Gujarat, shown against all-India average growth rates. 

Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur17

These data show that Modi hasn't achieved some miraculous steadiness of growth that is being claimed for him. In the nine years for which we have data available, during three years Gujarat's growth was slower than national average. Growth has fluctuated between 4 and 17%. As I said before, the 4% is not Modi's fault, just as the 17% is not his singlehanded achievement the way it is portrayed by Modi's supporters.
Just saw this. This is certainly enlightening. No miracle of steadiness, alas.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Answered that here.

in this contest, as it stands in 2013, modi stands as the ONLY viable alternative to the tired, the bumbling, the leaderless, can-fuck-up-a-cup-of-coffee congress with nothing to offer other than the promises to give patronising sops to vote banks and "secular" credentials AND the old orthodox fart club of BJP . if tomorrow somehow the power to select candidates was bestowed upon the brain council of SUCH, then yea we'll go with yours and merlot's suggestions of jaitley/chidambaram/nitish kumar. until then "there is no alternative".

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:01 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Typically a chart should indicate both the value and the change %. I didn't see the value, only a reference to it being in ascending order. Hence my comment.
Like I said above, I didn't post the base values because of the nature of the question I was trying to answer: how much improvement has Modi presided over, and how does that compare to the improvement in other states, or in his state before Modi took over? 

It is a trivial exercise to post the base values, because I have them handy. 

Here is the base values chart for gender ratios, as of the 2011 census, in number of females per 1,000 males:
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur23

Here is the chart for literacy rates, as of the 2011 census: 
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur24

And here is the chart for HDI scores, per the 2011 HDI report, with latest data from 2008. HDI of 0.8 or more characterizes a highly developed society:
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur25

As you can see, all these charts show is the latest known position of these states; those positions exist because of a complex set of historical, social, and political factors far beyond the work of any single administration.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:in this contest, as it stands in 2013, modi stands as the ONLY viable alternative to the tired, the bumbling, the leaderless, can-fuck-up-a-cup-of-coffee congress with nothing to offer other than the promises to give patronising sops to vote banks and "secular" credentials AND the old orthodox fart club of BJP . if tomorrow somehow the power to select candidates was bestowed upon the brain council of SUCH, then yea we'll go with yours and merlot's suggestions of jaitley/chidambaram/nitish kumar. until then "there is no alternative".
In this contest, as it stands in 2013, Modi has not been named the BJP's candidate for PM. So by that measure, Modi is not an option either. What is happening right now is a bunch of Modi supporters making the case for him to be nominated by his party. I am questioning the biggest argument that they advance in favor of Modi, and doing so with data that can be verified.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Idéfix wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

That's right. I showed the base values for FLFPR in a separate chart, after sorting the percentage declines in the first chart, and keeping in the same order as the chart with base values. I felt that the second chart was redundant, and here is why.

When we are trying to judge the effectiveness of a particular government, what is most relevant is the improvement that they have brought about. The purpose of this thread is not to show which states are more or less developed; my purpose is to bring a data-driven perspective to the question whether Modi has a stellar record on development. And to be fair to all parties, I showed the states in the order of the base value of the index, to address the concern that it is harder to improve an already good position than a mess. So it is easy to see on the literacy chart that Bihar is in the worst position, and has made the largest improvement among the major states. Gujarat is among the three-best placed major states, but it has shown less improvement than Maharashtra, which has an even better position.
I don't know why you thought a second chart would have been redundant, albeit for this purpose, the growth based on ranking is sufficient to address the question wrt Gujarat. I'd have liked knowing how far apart the values were.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Like I said above, I didn't post the base values because of the nature of the question I was trying to answer: how much improvement has Modi presided over, and how does that compare to the improvement in other states, or in his state before Modi took over? 

It is a trivial exercise to post the base values, because I have them handy. 

Here is the base values chart for gender ratios, as of the 2011 census, in number of females per 1,000 males:
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur23

Here is the chart for literacy rates, as of the 2011 census: 
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur24

And here is the chart for HDI scores, per the 2011 HDI report, with latest data from 2008. HDI of 0.8 or more characterizes a highly developed society:
Gujarat GDP growth and Narendra Modi's economic record - Page 2 Captur25

As you can see, all these charts show is the latest known position of these states; those positions exist because of a complex set of historical, social, and political factors far beyond the work of any single administration.
This is good stuff. Thanks.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

% with respect to what?

yep:)))

bcz those who dont like Modi will never like him. Those who dont like Prince Rahul or Congress will never like him - irrespective of what the data and graphs show. Since when was a PM selected/elected in India based on "performance?" Nehru?, Sastry? Indira? Morarji? Rajiv? If anything it will be Madam Mohan Singh - but we all know he just does what he is told by MT Sonia mata and Prince Rahul.

So all the data and graphs are only of theoretical interest to Indians in India. Those ourside India may understand, but they will not be voting. Those desis in Inida who understand these graphs will not be able to vote bcz someone else would have voted already.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Idefix and gc,
I have to disagree with your declarations on Modi economics.
You guys were touting that gujarat's Literacy growth rate was 1% behind mh and it shows Gujarat is somehow not progressing.
Go to wikipedia data link above and do a cumulative growth analysis.
India Gdp grew by 178% between 2004 and 2012.
Gujarat Gdp grew by 204% in the same period. That is a difference of 26%.
If we do similar analysis between States Gujarat would ahead among all large States.
In the last tour years of between 2009 and 2012, Gujarat beat India by large % of points. This is remarkable for a time of worldwide economic crisis.
I think it dishonest to refuse to acknowledge gujarats economic success and steady performance. Modi is no superman but his high level consistent performance is unmatched in Indian politics. Prove me wrong if you have data.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm

truthbetold wrote:Idefix and gc,
You guys were touting that gujarat's Literacy growth rate was 1% behind mh and it shows Gujarat is somehow not progressing.
If we do similar analysis between States Gujarat would ahead among all large States.
In the last tour years of between 2009 and 2012,  Gujarat beat India by large % of points.  This is remarkable for a time of worldwide economic crisis.
I think it dishonest to refuse to acknowledge gujarats economic success and steady performance. Modi is no superman but his high level consistent performance is unmatched in Indian politics. Prove me wrong if you have data.
Carvaka has diligently provided data to substantiate and support his argument. If you have data that is different, show us the facts in the form of a chart, table or whatever format is convenient to you. Throwing some numbers around is not sufficient. Use the facts from your link (?) to prove your case. I'll be glad to hear you out.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 pm

truthbetold wrote:Idefix and gc,
In the last tour years of between 2009 and 2012,  Gujarat beat India by large % of points.  This is remarkable for a time of worldwide economic crisis.

how many times does it have to be repeated? gujarat has done well but so have maharashtra and TN and delhi and uttarkhand even better. so gujarat's economic performance while it is better than the indian average is neither unique, nor even the best.

as for the numbers he has chosen to give them as compound average growth rates. it's a trivial matter to convert these rates to total rates. i calculated 190% for gujarat over 2004-2011 from the number carvaka gave.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Gc,
the whole point of this discussion to talk about numbers. Throwing numbers to back your pov is the process.
when a single number proves the point why draw hundreds of charts.
India Gdp growth 2004 to 2012 - 178%
Gujarat. Gdp growth 2004 to 2012 - 204%
A Gdp growth differential of 26%.
Case closed.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next