The "new" cuisine in Hyderabad Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "new" cuisine in Hyderabad

+6
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
confuzzled dude
Idéfix
Propagandhi711
Vakavaka Pakapaka
10 posters

Go down

The "new" cuisine in Hyderabad Empty The "new" cuisine in Hyderabad

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Restaurants in Hyderabad are introducing Telangana dishes - sakinalu, pacchi pulusu, senagapindi biLLala koora, salla kadi, jonna rotte, etc........ Next time I go there, I'll try these. I already ate some at a relative's house in the past - hot and spicy (more so than in Guntur dist).

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/now-telangana-menu-hits-eateries-across-hyderabad/articleshow/21542899.cms

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

The "new" cuisine in Hyderabad Empty Re: The "new" cuisine in Hyderabad

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Nice!
Here's is how the telugu movies dubbed into telangana will be titled (courtesy: FB):

1. Narasimha Naidu:Narsing Yadav
2. Parugu:Uruku
3. Akkada Ammai Ikkada Abbai:Gaada Pori Geeda Poradu
4. Siddhu 4m Srikakulam:Mallesh 4m Malkajgiri
5. Village Lo Vinayakudu:Galli Lo Ganeshudu
6. Ammailu Abbailu:Porlu Poragallu
7. Sankranthi:Bonalu
8. Anveshana:Devulaata
9. Bava Garu Bagunnara:Em Bava Manchigunnave
10. Palnati Bramhanaidu:Karimnagar KCR
11. Nari Nari Naduma Murari:Pori Pori Nadmitla ND Tiwari
12. Aavida Ma Aaviday:Gadee Na Pendlame.. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Brahmaiah Naidu = KCR?  That is an insult to KCR :-).

Bahmaiah Naidu didn't drink alcohol, had impeccable integrity and was fiercely loyal to his king (didn't change parties for selfish reasons).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Restaurants in Hyderabad are introducing Telangana dishes - sakinalu, pacchi pulusu, senagapindi biLLala koora, salla kadi, jonna rotte, etc........ Next time I go there, I'll try these. I already ate some at a relative's house in the past - hot and spicy (more so than in Guntur dist).

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/now-telangana-menu-hits-eateries-across-hyderabad/articleshow/21542899.cms

sakkinalu are good but jonna rotte is native to T state?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Restaurants in Hyderabad are introducing Telangana dishes - sakinalu, pacchi pulusu, senagapindi biLLala koora, salla kadi, jonna rotte, etc........ Next time I go there, I'll try these. I already ate some at a relative's house in the past - hot and spicy (more so than in Guntur dist).

jonna rotte is a rayalaseema food, prolly imported from karnataka or native to seema coz without the geographical border, they both share a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:36 pm

kinnera wrote:Nice!
Here's is how the telugu movies dubbed into telangana will be titled (courtesy: FB):

1. Narasimha Naidu:Narsing Yadav
2. Parugu:Uruku
3. Akkada Ammai Ikkada Abbai:Gaada Pori Geeda Poradu
4. Siddhu 4m Srikakulam:Mallesh 4m Malkajgiri
5. Village Lo Vinayakudu:Galli Lo Ganeshudu
6. Ammailu Abbailu:Porlu Poragallu
7. Sankranthi:Bonalu
8. Anveshana:Devulaata
9. Bava Garu Bagunnara:Em Bava Manchigunnave
10. Palnati Bramhanaidu:Karimnagar KCR
11. Nari Nari Naduma Murari:Pori Pori Nadmitla ND Tiwari
12. Aavida Ma Aaviday:Gadee Na Pendlame.. Razz
Haha, nice. I didn't know Siddhu was a kosta name.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Jonna rotte is native to Hyderabad state. It is staple in parts of Maharashtra & Karnataka that belonged to Hyd state back in the day.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 pm

One more. Totally hilarious!

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Jonna rottelu is widely consumed t area. Part of banjara culture.
tokku pacchadi ( chinna mirapakaya tokku).
Dosakaya pappu.
Inexpensive but delicious.
In t., dosakaya is available on the side of fields in abundant quantities. It is poorman's.delicacy.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:22 am

truthbetold wrote:Jonna rottelu is widely consumed t area. Part of banjara culture.
Dosakaya pappu.
In t., dosakaya is available on the side of fields in abundant quantities. It is poorman's.delicacy.
Yes, dosakaya pappu is a staple, as are jonna rottelu. The sought after mirchi is waranganTi orugu, supposedly from Warangal.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 am

i thought dosakaya had something to do with dosai. apparently it's just cucumber (veLLarikkai). there is a similar malayali/palghat recipe called veLLarikkai pullisEri, except it has a bit of coconut which the dosakaya pappu does not seem to have.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i thought dosakaya had something to do with dosai. apparently it's just cucumber (veLLarikkai). there is a similar malayali/palghat recipe called veLLarikkai pullisEri, except it has a bit of coconut which the dosakaya pappu does not seem to have.

Cucumber (either the salad variety or the pickle condiment served with sandwiches here) is really not dosakaya. Dosakaya is kind of an yellowish orange ellipsoid (sometimes with wide stripes) used in very hot short term Andhra pickles (they can't be preserved for long). In fact, this dosakaya has no English name (not even Hindi). When you go to Indian stores, Korean and Chinese stores (with lot of Indian customers), and some large American grocery stores with international sections - dosakaya is called just that - dosakaya. Some regions in AP (I don't know if they still call it AP), call the salad variety "dosakaya" and the roundish orange one "nakka-dosakaya" (I don't know how the fox got into the name). Some regions in AP call the pickle "dosa-avakaya," some regions call it "dosakaya" (same as the vegetable's name), and some call it "nakka-dosakaaya" (same as the vegetable name in that region). Hope I confused you enough.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 am

Idéfix wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Jonna rottelu is widely consumed t area. Part of banjara culture.
Dosakaya pappu.
Yes, dosakaya pappu is a staple, as are jonna rottelu. The sought after mirchi is waranganTi orugu, supposedly from Warangal.

It's budamkaya pappu, you friggin kosta guys Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:09 am

indophile wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i thought dosakaya had something to do with dosai. apparently it's just cucumber (veLLarikkai). there is a similar malayali/palghat recipe called veLLarikkai pullisEri, except it has a bit of coconut which the dosakaya pappu does not seem to have.

Cucumber (either the salad variety or the pickle condiment served with sandwiches here) is really not dosakaya. Dosakaya is kind of an yellowish orange ellipsoid (sometimes with wide stripes) used in very hot short term Andhra pickles (they can't be preserved for long). In fact, this dosakaya has no English name (not even Hindi). When you go to Indian stores, Korean and Chinese stores (with lot of Indian customers), and some large American grocery stores with international sections - dosakaya is called just that - dosakaya. Some regions in AP (I don't know if they still call it AP), call the salad variety "dosakaya" and the roundish orange one "nakka-dosakaya" (I don't know how the fox got into the name).  Some regions in AP call the pickle "dosa-avakaya," some regions call it "dosakaya" (same as the vegetable's name), and some call it "nakka-dosakaaya" (same as the vegetable name in that region). Hope I confused you enough.

Salad variety (green, longish one) is also known keera (dosakaya)

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 am

Now, that's more confusion. "Keera" means thotakoora (or any leafy vegetable for that matter) in Tamil. Remember in Mayabazat movie there is a funny dialogue -- "gongura, Saakambari devi prasadam, adi lenide prabhuvula vaaru muddaina muttaru." For the Tamil version of the movie, they could not come up with a leafy vegetable that's as close to Tamil folks as gongura is to Telugu folks. So they used "keera" as a close substitute for the Tamil version.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 am

At a restaurant yesterday, I ordered for a Biryani. The waiter asked: Hyderabadi or Telangani?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 am

southindian wrote:

At a restaurant yesterday, I ordered for a Biryani. The waiter asked: Hyderabadi or Telangani?

Is the Restaurant owned by a Kosta-wallah (bhaaago) who is paying protection money? LOL

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am

southththindian-- you don't order for a biriyani. you just order one.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Dosakaya pappu.

I haven't heard that term... everyone on the Telangana side of the family calls it dosakaya pappu.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 am

Idéfix wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Dosakaya pappu.

I haven't heard that term... everyone on the Telangana side of the family calls it dosakaya pappu.

budamkaya is what they call it in rayalaseema.

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Bonaalu festival kadhandi, sakinalu, bobbatlu, sajja rotte ki baga demand ippudu..
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:34 pm

yogi wrote:

Bonaalu festival kadhandi, sakinalu, bobbatlu BhakshyAlu, sajja rotte ki baga demand ippudu..

fixed per title of this thread.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
yogi wrote:

Bonaalu festival kadhandi, sakinalu, bobbatlu BhakshyAlu, sajja rotte ki baga demand ippudu..

LOL!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 pm

kinnera wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
Dosakaya pappu.

budamkaya is what they call it in rayalaseema.

In Mahabubnagar too, though north telanganites act like Vakvaka gAru when it comes to Mahabubnagar paddatulu Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:40 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
yogi wrote:

confuzzle ayyaru meeru, lol. bhakshyalu -- rayalaseema; polelu -- telangana
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:42 pm

yogi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
yogi wrote:

I hadn't heard the term polelu; we call them bhakshyAlu. My kosta relatives call them bobbaTlu of course. This is confuzzling indeed!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Idéfix wrote:
yogi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
yogi wrote:

I hadn't heard the term polelu; we call them bhakshyAlu. My kosta relatives call them bobbaTlu of course. This is confuzzling indeed!
yeah, i heard the polelu term from my medak neighbours.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:37 pm

yogi wrote:

Kannada "Obbattu," Telugu (Krishna-Guntur) "Bobbattu," Telugu (Godavari-Vizag) "Obbattu," Maharashtrian (may be Gujarati too) "Pooran-poli," Telangana "Polelu," are all the same. There may be differences in the base flour - wheat or maida, however.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:45 pm

indophile wrote:
yogi wrote:

Kannada "Obbattu," Telugu (Krishna-Guntur) "Bobbattu," Telugu (Godavari-Vizag) "Obbattu," Maharashtrian (may be Gujarati too) "Pooran-poli," Telangana "Polelu," are all the same. There may be differences in the base flour - wheat or maida, however.

In Rayalaseema, they are also called 'Oligalu'. I think in karnataka, they are also called, 'Holige'. They are made very thin. The thinner you make, with more Poornam (puran) and less of the outside stuff (maida/rava), the more expert you are at it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Puran poli is Gujrati. Just because PP doesn't like Modi it doesn't mean he should handover puran poli on a platter to KCR's (A-bhaago) friend Thakarey (bhaago everybody).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Idéfix wrote:

Indeed. I always had my bhakhyalu with milk and bobbatlu without.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm

indophile wrote:
yogi wrote:

the correct name for it of course is pOLi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:22 pm

indophile wrote:Now, that's more confusion. "Keera" means thotakoora (or any leafy vegetable for that matter) in Tamil. Remember in Mayabazat movie there is a funny dialogue -- "gongura, Saakambari devi prasadam, adi lenide prabhuvula vaaru muddaina muttaru." For the Tamil version of the movie, they could not come up with a leafy vegetable that's as close to Tamil folks as gongura is to Telugu folks. So they used "keera" as a close substitute for the Tamil version.

We say koora-g(k)ayalu in telugu too, right. I guess same deal.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:15 pm

keer-ai not keera.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:49 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:keer-ai not keera.

Keer-ai, dos-ai, vad-ai! You are the professor-ai.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down