Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion

+4
harharmahadev
truthbetold
Propagandhi711
nevada
8 posters

Go down

Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion Empty Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion

Post by nevada Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Now, this is what people who win multi billion jackpots do.

Stunner: Facebook To Buy WhatsApp For $19 Billion In Cash, Stock

nevada

Back to top Go down

Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion Empty Re: Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:19 pm

fb is ripe for shorting methinks

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion Empty Re: Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion

Post by truthbetold Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Not only fb. twtr tsla ddd netflix and few other disco darling are overvalued. Traders may be able to make a buck. Investors will be hurt.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Stupid stupid stupid deal!! What a bunch of bozos.  

$16 bill for a shitty p2p messaging software?!

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:13 pm

What next? Maybe Snapchat will go for $50 billion.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:14 pm

nevada wrote:What next? Maybe Snapchat will go for $50 billion.

they already bought that other photo service (instagram) for 750mil...snapchat will go 4 to 5 bil easy but who's gonna buy them? methinks yahoo or MS

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 pm

harharmahadev wrote:Stupid stupid stupid deal!! What a bunch of bozos.  

$19B. They bought the whole customer base of whatsapp with this. People aren't going to quit whatsapp any time soon, especially in the developing world.

On a different note:

Jan Koum (born February 24, 1976) is CEO and founder of WhatsApp, a mobile messaging application which was acquired by Facebook Inc. in February 2014.[1][2][3] Koum is Jewish and grew up in a village outside Kiev in Ukraine. He moved to California with his mother and grandmother in 1992.[4]

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

$19B. They bought the whole customer base of whatsapp with this. People aren't going to quit whatsapp any time soon, especially in the developing world.

On a different note:

So what if they don't quit?? They pay $1 for a year in subscription. I pay $100+ for family + data plan for my Sprint bill and Sprint has millions of customers. The market cap for Sprint is like $30+ billion (quoting on the top of my head!).

I think Whatsapp is a good product and has good 'social' utility. But $19 Billion price tag is insane!

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:14 pm

harharmahadev wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

On a different note:

So what if they don't quit?? They pay $1 for a year in subscription.  I pay $100+ for family + data plan for my Sprint bill and Sprint has millions of customers.  The market cap for Sprint is like $30+ billion (quoting on the top of my head!).

I think Whatsapp is a good product and has good 'social' utility.  But $19 Billion price tag is insane!

Someone crossexamined me on this before too. Why do I keep thinking i downloaded it for free? Don't remember any note about $1/year subscription.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:22 pm

harharmahadev wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

On a different note:

So what if they don't quit?? They pay $1 for a year in subscription.  I pay $100+ for family + data plan for my Sprint bill and Sprint has millions of customers.  The market cap for Sprint is like $30+ billion (quoting on the top of my head!).

I think Whatsapp is a good product and has good 'social' utility.  But $19 Billion price tag is insane!

1)The subscriber base for Sprint is a fraction of the subscriber base for whatsapp. Oh and Sprint coverage sucks.

2) Last year whatsapp messages exceeded all SMS messages worldwide.

3) Facebook has cash to burn.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
harharmahadev wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

On a different note:

Someone crossexamined me on this before too. Why do I keep thinking i downloaded it for free? Don't remember any note about $1/year subscription.

I think it is free for a year and then $1 a year thereafter. Maybe things changed after you downloaded?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 pm

harharmahadev wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

On a different note:

So what if they don't quit?? They pay $1 for a year in subscription. I pay $100+ for family + data plan for my Sprint bill and Sprint has millions of customers. The market cap for Sprint is like $30+ billion (quoting on the top of my head!).

I think Whatsapp is a good product and has good 'social' utility. But $19 Billion price tag is insane!

Sprint has spent billions to build up the infrastructure and will need billions to support it.
Whatsapp is a free loader.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:53 pm

nevada wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
harharmahadev wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

On a different note:

I think it is free for a year and then $1 a year thereafter. Maybe things changed after you downloaded?

13$/year after first year. I don't know how many people in India and other developing nations will continue to pay after the trial period is over. And how different is this from Google Voice ? Google voice is a free service that allows yout to send text messages and allows even free voice calls with apps like grooveIP. They even give you a free telephone number.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Facebook got all the paper money the rest of the world gave it and it is spending.
ha
whatsapp got some users. how are they going to make money of them.

they have to make 3 to 4 billion in profit to make sense. can they do it?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Well, as long as they're paying with overpriced currency (FB stock), who cares how much they pay.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm

truthbetold wrote:Facebook got all the paper money the rest of the world gave it and it is spending.
ha
whatsapp got some users. how are they going to make money of them.

they have to make 3 to 4 billion in profit to make sense. can they do it?

Read this:
http://sequoiacapital.tumblr.com/post/77211282835/four-numbers-that-explain-why-facebook-acquired
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
harharmahadev wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

On a different note:

I downloaded it in nov or december 2013. So I am still in trial period. Will see what happens at the end of 1 year. I don't check all my bills closely, so maybe I got charged and didn't realize. I atleast don't remember accepting any charge requirement.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Ha
read the article. only meaningful financial is 450million. these are mostly outside usa and 60 million or so in India. someday they will pay but this.is no Ali baba.
Facebook and twitter have not yet demonstrated real business revenue.
there may be hidden facts that i am not aware of but just like tesla i am not seeing the business model.
trading ok.
investing not convinced.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:13 pm

truthbetold wrote:Ha
read the article. only meaningful financial is 450million. these are mostly outside usa and 60 million or so in India. someday they will pay but this.is no Ali baba.
there may be hidden facts that i am not aware of but just like tesla i am not seeing the business model.
trading ok.
investing not convinced.
 What do you mean by real business revenue? Both of them sell ads.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm

truthbetold wrote:Ha
trading ok.
investing not convinced.

Another article that might interest you:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-21/whatsapp-shows-how-phone-carriers-lost-out-on-33-billion.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Looking at this passage from the article. Assuming that all users continue to pay after year one, it looks like it would take just a little over 42 years to break even on this deal? 

Facebook, the world’s largest social network, said this week that it’s buying WhatsApp in a deal that values each of its 450 million active monthly users at $42. Free for the first year and 99 cents annually thereafter, 

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:16 am

Voice calling today, video calling tomorrow.

FB competes with Google in this space.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down