Humblebrag Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humblebrag

+4
Rishi
Silly Point
bw
Seva Lamberdar
8 posters

Go down

Humblebrag Empty Humblebrag

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Pattappan and Murthy both have Ph.D in E.E.

Dr. M should be about 10 years older than Dr. P. After getting his advanced degree, he returned to India. Then came back to America after a few years. He could not find a job in the academia. That was what he wanted to do; teach and do research at a university. He ended up working for the defense industry.

Pattappan has been having a successful career in the academia. One thing going for him was his area of expertise. He has been doing cutting edge research in a leading technology field. Sometimes I see him in a community gathering. But the man would not even bother to smile at me.

One day I saw Murthy and Pattappan at a friend's house. The host had invited me also for the puja he had in his house. Murthy gave me a ride after the event. He was kind of upset. He said "I asked Pattappan how he was doing. He told me "what to do sir? I have got 15 Ph.D students under me. (என்ன பண்றதுனே தெரியலே Sir பதினஞ்சு Ph.D students )"

Murthy was pissed off. He knew that although Pattappan was describing his situation as if he had been burdened with the task of being the thesis advisor for 15 students, he was really boasting how successful he was.

"ஹோதா பா! ஹோதா!" Murthy told me.

After a few months, I ran into Pattppan at the temple. I was caught with him alone in "shoe rack" room. He looked at me, smiled. I simply ignored him. The man glared at me. I could care less.

This happened more than 15 years ago.

Now I hear the man has more than 50 Ph.D students.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Humblebrag Empty Re: Humblebrag

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:15 pm

This happened more than 15 years ago and you still haven't forgiven the guy for not smiling at you during "puja" at a friend's house? What kind of "puja" was it?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 pm

So this dude is the Phd Adviser for 50 students at the same time? or has been an adviser to 50 gran total??

*waiting impatiently for answer*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Rishi wrote:Pattappan and Murthy both have Ph.D in E.E.

Dr. M should be about 10 years older than Dr. P. After getting his advanced degree, he returned to India. Then came back to America after a few years. He could not find a job in the academia. That was what he wanted to do; teach and do research at a university. He ended up working for the defense industry.

Pattappan has been having a successful career in the academia. One thing going for him was his area of expertise. He has been doing cutting edge research in a leading technology field. Sometimes I see him in a community gathering. But the man would not even bother to smile at me.

One day I saw Murthy and Pattappan at a friend's house. The host had invited me also for the puja he had in his house. Murthy gave me a ride after the event. He was kind of upset. He said "I asked Pattappan how he was doing. He told me "what to do sir? I have got 15 Ph.D students under me. (என்ன பண்றதுனே தெரியலே Sir பதினஞ்சு  Ph.D students )"

Murthy was pissed off. He knew that although Pattappan was describing his situation as if he had been burdened with the task of being the thesis advisor for 15 students, he was really boasting how successful he was.

After a few months, I ran into Pattppan at the temple. I was caught with him alone in "shoe rack" room. He looked at me, smiled.  I simply ignored him. The man glared at me. I could care less.

>>> What was Pattapan's attitude toward you at your friend's puja? Is it possible he may have stated a fact about the 15 students? Why was Murthy upset with his statement about it, if Murthy was not in academia, even if P. was boasting? Just trying to understand the undercurrents in the story.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Silly Point wrote:So this dude is the Phd Adviser for 50 students at the same time? or has been an adviser to 50 gran total??

Krithi

>>>50 students at the same time

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Rishi wrote:
Silly Point wrote:So this dude is the Phd Adviser for 50 students at the same time? or has been an adviser to 50 gran total??

Krithi

>>>50 students at the same time

does pattappan manage some massive lab where students are running experiments/simulations?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm

I would like to know the name of the institution that has 50 students assigned to one advisor..

*dhaal mei kuch kaala hai*

*suspicious*
Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Kris wrote:

One day I saw Murthy and Pattappan at a friend's house. The host had invited me also for the puja he had in his house. Murthy gave me a ride after the event. He was kind of upset. He said "I asked Pattappan how he was doing. He told me "what to do sir? I have got 15 Ph.D students under me. (என்ன பண்றதுனே தெரியலே Sir பதினஞ்சு  Ph.D students )"

After a few months, I ran into Pattppan at the temple. I was caught with him alone in "shoe rack" room. He looked at me, smiled.  I simply ignored him. The man glared at me. I could care less.

>>> What was Pattapan's attitude toward you at your friend's puja? Is it possible he may have stated a fact about the 15 students? Why was Murthy upset with his statement about it, if Murthy was not in academia, even if P. was boasting? Just trying to understand the undercurrents in the story.

What was Pattapan's attitude toward you at your friend's puja?

>>>Whether it was puja or at any other place, for Pattappan, I was nobody to him especially when there were other desis who had a higher station in life than me. That was fine with me. When I told this to Murthy, he was pissed off. He said it was very bad. On another occasion, he purposely took me to Pattappan and introduced me to him.

Is it possible he may have stated a fact about the 15 students? Why was Murthy upset with his statement about it, if Murthy was not in academia, even if P. was boasting?

>>>Murthy and Pattappan have known each other. Pattappan is absolutely very successful. Has his own lab, gets lot of funding for his research etc. There was no need for him to bring up that "fact" of many Ph.D students competing to research under him. He was obviously had a better status than Murthy who worked for a defense contractor. Who knows may be Murthy was writing some proposals for some contracts. It was not that he was doing research at Bell Labs. He might have gotten hurt by P's boasting.

Is it so difficult to figure out if someone is bragging?

One time my friend and I went to a fellow's house. The man went to the same college I and my friend attended. The host who got his Ph.D a few years ago said to us "Anyone can get a Ph.D. It is so easy." It was a humblebrag.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Rishi wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Whether it was puja or at any other place, for Pattappan, I was nobody to him especially when there were other desis who had a higher station in life than me. That was fine with me. When I told this to Murthy, he was pissed off. He said it was very bad. On another occasion, he purposely took me to Pattappan and introduced me to him.  

Is it possible he may have stated a fact about the 15 students? Why was Murthy upset with his statement about it, if Murthy was not in academia, even if P. was boasting?

>>>Murthy and Pattappan have known each other. Pattappan is absolutely very successful. Has his own lab, gets lot of funding for his research etc. There was no need for him to bring up that "fact" of many Ph.D students competing to research under him. He was obviously had a better status than Murthy who worked for a defense contractor. Who knows may be Murthy was writing some proposals for some contracts. It was not that he was doing research at Bell Labs.  He might have gotten hurt by P's boasting.

One time my friend and I went to a fellow's house. The man went to the same college I and my friend attended. The host who got his Ph.D a few years ago said to us "Anyone can get a Ph.D. It is so easy."  It was a humblebrag.

>>>Okay. So M. and P. have had a history, although I think this sort of dynamic happens only when one party senses that the other has some insecurities. Imagine the same scenario if M. had made a killing playing the market or even worked out a healthy work-life balance or was a multi-dimensional personality, P would have figured out early in the game that he was getting nowhere. I have also run into the flip side of this, where someone starts playing an one-upmanship game out of an imagined sense of rivalry. Thankfully, this was a long time ago and I have learned not to engage these types anymore.That is what triggered my question as to whether P's statement about the 15 students was just a matter-of-fact thing rather than have any agenda behind it. On a personal level, I wouldn't feel comfortable with either of these types (P/M).

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:53 pm

...By process of elimination this is the guy I zeroed in.

Everythign you said matches his profile. Only one glitch. He used to be a down to earth and humorous guy a while ago...may be he changed now...(100% sure he would not remember me).

P.S. he is the only Tamilian in EE who is capable of 50 grad students in the schools in THAT REGION.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 am

Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Murthy and Pattappan have known each other. Pattappan is absolutely very successful. Has his own lab, gets lot of funding for his research etc. There was no need for him to bring up that "fact" of many Ph.D students competing to research under him. He was obviously had a better status than Murthy who worked for a defense contractor. Who knows may be Murthy was writing some proposals for some contracts. It was not that he was doing research at Bell Labs.  He might have gotten hurt by P's boasting.

One time my friend and I went to a fellow's house. The man went to the same college I and my friend attended. The host who got his Ph.D a few years ago said to us "Anyone can get a Ph.D. It is so easy."  It was a humblebrag.

>>>Okay. So M. and P. have had a history, although I think this sort of dynamic happens only when one party senses that the other has some insecurities. Imagine the same scenario if M. had made a killing playing the market or even worked out a healthy work-life balance or was a multi-dimensional personality, P would have figured out early in the game that he was getting nowhere. I have also run into the flip side of this, where someone starts playing an one-upmanship game out of an imagined sense of rivalry. Thankfully, this was a long time ago and I have learned not to engage these types anymore.That is what triggered my question as to whether P's statement about the 15 students was just a matter-of-fact thing rather than have any agenda behind it. On a personal level, I wouldn't feel comfortable with either of these types (P/M).

>>>Kris

I think you zeroed on the real issue.

Once I was at Dr. M's house. During the chitchat, he told his wife about his B.Sc(Hons) Physics classmate who visited him. Dr. M said "I was not even aware of that. Ramu told me that I was the one who scored the highest marks in the B.Sc(Hons) finals."

Looks like M is not without ego either.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 am

with the extremely esoteric discussion on english accent goin' on in another thread, i am glad you wrote those 15 and 50 in numbers, which could otherwise lead to mixing up of fifty/fifteen or pipty/pipteen, difficult to discern with the last syllable habitually sounding soft and fading away.

aside- single prof tied up concurrently with more than 50 PhD students is quite startling! - but when saamiyar seems to support and vouch for his potential, who am i to supect Wink

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 am

garam_kuta wrote:
aside- single prof tied up concurrently with more than 50 PhD students is quite startling! - but when saamiyar seems to support and vouch for his potential, who am i to supect Wink

Most profs have every right to hire any student who is interested in doing MS/PhD under him/her. If he has funds to support he can go ahead and hire a zillion if wants to. Usually, they hire a few post-docs who each oversee 4 to 5 students, and also senior PhD students who oversee 2 or 3 others working in their sub area. This kind of supervising 50 students is not uncommon in some big schools (especially in engineering). Although in this case, Rishi was just "guessing" that he might have 50 students at this time... I dont think he has anything close to that... 15 is more like it. Allotting students may arise only when funds from other sources are used to support them (lab, graders, etc.)

I found one other goodly Tamilan prof in EE at GW but he is way too young to fit Rishi's profile.

P.S. on another account, both these guys at UMD and GW are not from IITs and very likely from Guindy Eng college.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 am

garam_kuta wrote:

with the extremely esoteric discussion on english accent goin' on in another thread, i am glad you wrote those 15 and 50 in numbers, which could otherwise lead to mixing up of fifty/fifteen or pipty/pipteen, difficult to discern with the last syllable habitually sounding soft and fading away.

arre I suspected way before  and no one cared for my suspicions *weep*

IS this thread gender biased??? IS IT?? IT IS.. ISN'T IT...

My take:
The story is bakwaas.. there is no effin way one man can be an advisor for 50 students at one time..

*shouty*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:46 am

garam_kuta wrote:

>>>The exact number was 55. It was last year. I heard that number from another desi professor who works in the same university but in a different department.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:53 am

*dog with a bone attytude*

Ok here are some questions

IS this a legit university, not WALDEN or Strayer or some shyt like that
Do the students work in labs? i mean what subject is this PhD being awarded in?
IS there a thesis requirement?
if yes, who reads the pages and pages of thesis material?

*still think this is BS*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 am

Silly Point wrote:
arre I suspected way before  and no one cared for my suspicions *weep*

IS this thread gender biased??? IS IT?? IT IS.. ISN'T IT...

My take:
The story is bakwaas.. there is no effin way one man can be an advisor for 50 students at one time..

*shouty*

Krithi

Sorry lady... I know of two who had almost 60 at one time ... EM Sparrow of Univ of Minnesota.. (he is 84 and has been prolific in almost all areas of mech eng). Then there was Ed Haug in engineering at Univ of Iowa who had more than 60 - he is now deceased and was a nightmare to his students. Only Chinese could work for him. These guys were not administrators to "claim" any and all students as their own. Then there was C L Tien at berkeley - who was also its chancellor (he is also now deceased).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 am

Silly Point wrote:*dog with a bone attytude*

*still think this is BS*

Krithi

There are direct and indirect ways to do that.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 am

Gosh, the number of things one has to be careful about these days, specially when talking to someone within your own field. Can't P just be doing shop-talk? Or him really meaning to tell the level of his stress/responsibilities to someone who he thinks might understand? Why call it bragging? And yeah, even if it is bragging, so be it. Sometimes you have to highlight your success yourself as a way of marketing, who else will do it for you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Silly Point wrote:*dog with a bone attytude*

*still think this is BS*

Krithi

Need to learn about Engineering Phds in more detail.. *yeah right*

indirect?

I am used to top tier universities where 3 PhD students is considered an over load and granted these are in Bio/neuroscience and psychology

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Silly Point wrote:

indirect?

I am used to top tier universities where 3 PhD students is considered an over load and granted these are in Bio/neuroscience and psychology[/quote]

These 50 student-advisors are (very) rare. These are workaholics combined with discipline, intelliegence, hardwork, and managerial skills. Also, not likely to be in many areas.

The bio/Neuroscience, Psycho/Pharma are different... They work in teams and it is common to see 10 to 15 authors on each paper (after the 4th author no one gives a shyt - but that is a different matter).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Silly Point wrote:

indirect?

I am used to top tier universities where 3 PhD students is considered an over load and granted these are in Bio/neuroscience and psychology

These 50 student-advisors are (very) rare. These are workaholics combined with discipline, intelliegence, hardwork, and managerial skills.  Also, not likely to be in many areas.

The bio/Neuroscience, Psycho/Pharma are different... They work in teams and it is common to see 10 to 15 authors on each paper (after the 4th author no one gives a shyt - but that is a different matter).  [/quote]
the senior most/last author is just someone who said 'hi' to the team members in the elevator or somethin', gave the business card and told them to spell the name right, ya?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

These 50 student-advisors are (very) rare. These are workaholics combined with discipline, intelliegence, hardwork, and managerial skills.  Also, not likely to be in many areas.

The bio/Neuroscience, Psycho/Pharma are different... They work in teams and it is common to see 10 to 15 authors on each paper (after the 4th author no one gives a shyt - but that is a different matter).  
the senior most/last author is just someone who said 'hi' to the team members in the elevator or somethin', gave the business card and told them to spell the name right, ya?

Actually, the last author is the main professor who brought the money and guided the whole gang...Ideally speaking. Most professors who are ethical will put their own name in the end (with some slight variations). The main professor having his name first of the 10 authors will backfire and they dont put their name in the middle of the pile. Just like in anything, there are gimmicks and crookery in that profession as well - as long as one can get away.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:57 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Silly Point wrote:

indirect?

So , finally you decided to abandon the other handle and use only the GK handle for both sleazy and non-sleazy posts. Good choice, I must say.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:59 pm

a *Cloo*....

MUST...GO..BACK.. and READ.....

*feels like in episode of Bloos Cloos*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:13 pm

b_A wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Silly Point wrote:

indirect?

So , finally you decided to abandon the other handle and use only the GK handle for both sleazy and non-sleazy posts. Good choice, I must say.
wrong number, bud..get your facts right..it's your CJ, propa that you want to say this to...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum