hot water heater Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hot water heater

5 posters

Go down

hot water heater Empty hot water heater

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:33 pm

biggest f***ng scam that the plumbers around here run. if you don't get comparable quotes, you are nearly certain to get suckered.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

hot water heater Empty Re: hot water heater

Post by Rishi Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:biggest f***ng scam that the plumbers around here run. if you don't get comparable quotes, you are nearly certain to get suckered.

>>> How much are they asking?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:biggest f***ng scam that the plumbers around here run. if you don't get comparable quotes, you are nearly certain to get suckered.

$1900 for a 50 gallon power vented natural gas hot water heater. that's the best deal i could get.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:03 pm

plumbers in this area never give you a breakdown for water heater jobs by parts and labor. the lowes and HD models are substandard and have a poor reputation, so nearly everyone around here go for the brands and models that the supply houses sell directly to the plumbers. and neither the plumbers nor their supply houses want to tell you the actual cost of the part. it's all sold as parts, taxes, and labor as a package. i go apoplectic when they tell me that, but every plumber in this part of the world is like that. the alternative is to go for the substandard lowes/HD deal.  anyway with great difficulty i found out that the actual water heater that he is putting in is $1100. so i figured after taxes he is charging me something like $130-$150/hour of labor.  that seems to be the going labor rate for plumbers in MA. i called a few plumbers with a particular model # and this is the best deal i got. my choices were to be ripped of by a small time conman or a seasoned dacoit. i chose the former.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:plumbers in this area never give you a breakdown for water heater jobs by parts and labor. the lowes and HD models are substandard and have a poor reputation, so nearly everyone around here go for the brands and models that the supply houses sell directly to the plumbers. and neither the plumbers nor their supply houses want to tell you the actual cost of the part. it's all sold as parts, taxes, and labor as a package. i go apoplectic when they tell me that, but every plumber in this part of the world is like that. the alternative is to go for the substandard lowes/HD deal.  anyway with great difficulty i found out that the actual water heater that he is putting in is $1100. so i figured after taxes he is charging me something like $130-$150/hour of labor.  that seems to be the going labor rate for plumbers in MA. i called a few plumbers with a particular model # and this is the best deal i got. my choices were to be ripped of by a small time conman or a seasoned dacoit. i chose the former.

guess susskind took a huge financial hit by opting to be a theoretical physicist.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:plumbers in this area never give you a breakdown for water heater jobs by parts and labor. the lowes and HD models are substandard and have a poor reputation, so nearly everyone around here go for the brands and models that the supply houses sell directly to the plumbers. and neither the plumbers nor their supply houses want to tell you the actual cost of the part. it's all sold as parts, taxes, and labor as a package. i go apoplectic when they tell me that, but every plumber in this part of the world is like that. the alternative is to go for the substandard lowes/HD deal.  anyway with great difficulty i found out that the actual water heater that he is putting in is $1100. so i figured after taxes he is charging me something like $130-$150/hour of labor.  that seems to be the going labor rate for plumbers in MA. i called a few plumbers with a particular model # and this is the best deal i got. my choices were to be ripped of by a small time conman or a seasoned dacoit. i chose the former.

guess susskind took a huge financial hit by opting to be a theoretical physicist.

no wonder his daddy was disappointed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Dont you have separate 'appliance insurance' which should cover most of the stuff at home? The insurance has been much less compared to the replacements/service calls I got so far.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:

$1900 for a 50 gallon power vented natural gas hot water heater. that's the best deal i could get.

I replaced one for 480$ 10 yrs ago and will check this weekend... must be around $600.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:49 pm

size, technology, and geographical location can change prices tremendously. also whether it is electric or natural gas. mine is natural gas and is power vented. more complex technology than electric. i did my research. $600 won't even cover the cost of the unit. don't have appliance insurance.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:size, technology, and geographical location can change prices tremendously. also whether it is electric or natural gas. mine is natural gas and is power vented. more complex technology than electric. i did my research. $600 won't even cover the cost of the unit.  don't have appliance insurance.

Just quick checked Home depot - 50 gal gas water heater 420 to 480$ high efficiency GE or Rheem brand (pretty much the same price I paid 12 yrs back).

Will check about Labor and I am reasonably sure it should be $600 to 650. Will give you some heart burn this weekend....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:23 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:size, technology, and geographical location can change prices tremendously. also whether it is electric or natural gas. mine is natural gas and is power vented. more complex technology than electric. i did my research. $600 won't even cover the cost of the unit.  don't have appliance insurance.

Just quick checked Home depot - 50 gal gas water heater 420 to 480$ high efficiency GE or Rheem brand (pretty much the same price I paid 12 yrs back).

Will check about Labor and I am reasonably sure it should be $600 to 650. Will give you some heart burn this weekend....

the only 50 gallon power vented gas heater that HD sells retails for close to $900, about $200 less than what i estimate my plumber paid, but it has shitty reviews. and before you go on about why i need a power vented one, i don't have a choice. i have to have a power vented water heater considering the location in the basement. this is what i mean when i say that specific details matter.  i can probably find a 50 gallon heater for $600 which is of no use to me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down