Father Paul/Brown Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Paul/Brown

5 posters

Go down

Father Paul/Brown Empty Father Paul/Brown

Post by bw Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 pm

moving it here since i don't want to corrupt the thread on MH370...

Father Paul wrote:Yes the Father Paul I mean Father Brown stories are among the best detective stories ever written. I sometimes wonder whether the tamil fictional detective Digambara Swamiyar was based on Father Brown. Have you read the detective stories featuring Shankar Lal, Digambara Swamiyar, Thupparium Sambu, etc?

Meanwhile do take a look at this:

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/trivia/triv188.html

i have read some of them in bits and pieces. since i didn't study tamil at school, i used to read a lot of trashy magazines and detective stories to improve my tamil reading. i tried to read "ponniyin selvan" and other classics too at my mother's insistence but never got too far with them.

i plan to watch the bbc series on father brown. shall check out your link - v.gangadhar is related to me in some way, i think.

bw

Back to top Go down

Father Paul/Brown Empty Re: Father Paul/Brown

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:10 am

Trashy magazine and detective stories. Hmm that explains the screwed up mind now.

And lol. What's a thambini if she can't name drop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:45 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Trashy magazine and detective stories. Hmm that explains the screwed up mind now.

And lol. What's a thambini if she can't name drop.

If you have a problem with her please take it up in a different thread. Consider starting a new thread for this purpose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:52 am

bw wrote:moving it here since i don't want to corrupt the thread on MH370...

Father Paul wrote:Yes the Father Paul I mean Father Brown stories are among the best detective stories ever written. I sometimes wonder whether the tamil fictional detective Digambara Swamiyar was based on Father Brown. Have you read the detective stories featuring Shankar Lal, Digambara Swamiyar, Thupparium Sambu, etc?

i have read some of them in bits and pieces. since i didn't study tamil at school, i used to read a lot of trashy magazines and detective stories to improve my tamil reading. i tried to read "ponniyin selvan" and other classics too at my mother's insistence but never got too far with them.

i plan to watch the bbc series on father brown. shall check out your link - v.gangadhar is related to me in some way, i think.

I really wanted to read the Sambu, Shankar Lal and Digambara Swamiyar stories. If you come across any English translation of these stories please let me know. Meanwhile, These look very promising:

http://www.amazon.com/Blaft-Anthology-Tamil-Fiction-Vol-II/dp/9380636008/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394884062&sr=8-3&keywords=Tamil+pulp

http://www.amazon.com/Blaft-Anthology-Tamil-Pulp-Fiction-ebook/dp/B008GWE5N2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394884062&sr=8-2&keywords=Tamil+pulp

But I had glimpsed through Volume 1 some years ago and from what I remember there was only one Shankar Lal story in it and no Sambu or Digambara Swamiyar story.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:58 am

Rashmun wrote:
I really wanted to read the Sambu, Shankar Lal and Digambara Swamiyar stories. If you come across any English translation of these stories please let me know. Meanwhile, These look very promising:

http://www.amazon.com/Blaft-Anthology-Tamil-Fiction-Vol-II/dp/9380636008/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394884062&sr=8-3&keywords=Tamil+pulp

http://www.amazon.com/Blaft-Anthology-Tamil-Pulp-Fiction-ebook/dp/B008GWE5N2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394884062&sr=8-2&keywords=Tamil+pulp

But I had glimpsed through Volume 1 some years ago and from what I remember there was only one Shankar Lal story in it and no Sambu or Digambara Swamiyar story.

i haven't come across any english translations but will let you know if i do. i bought the volume II of the blaft anthology a while ago but never got around to reading it fully. i read only a couple of stories.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:47 am

but who do you think is a better detective, father brown or Sherlock holmes?

I remember reading just a couple of father brown stories and the writing was good and interesting but now I feel like Sherlock holmes is more magnetic, probably cuz of the show. Strangely I've never read Doyle. I actually thought he was the writer of the FB series as well.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:54 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

I remember reading just a couple of father brown stories and the writing was good and interesting but now I feel like Sherlock holmes is more magnetic, probably cuz of the show. Strangely I've never read Doyle. I actually thought he was the writer of the FB series as well.

Sherlock Holmes is undoubtedly better.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:54 am

i found thuppariyum sambu to be an idiotic comic strip.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:55 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

are you kidding me?! SH is the alpha of detectives
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:57 am

Rashmun wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

you mean the style of writing, the plots, or just the character?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:58 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i found thuppariyum sambu to be an idiotic comic strip.

Isn't he in the peter sellers inspector clousseou mould? I would love to read more about him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:58 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

you mean the style of writing, the plots, or just the character?

All three departments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:59 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Max, what about Mycroft Holmes?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:01 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i found thuppariyum sambu to be an idiotic comic strip.

Isn't he in the peter sellers inspector clousseou mould? I would love to read more about him.

yes. didn't do much for me. it was neither funny nor interesting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:01 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

he had no interest in detective work. SH claimed he was smarter.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Mycroft is dangerously cool cuz he works for the british govt and he's always one step ahead of Sherlock in every single episode!
Sherlock has a dumpy dusty apt. Mycroft prob has all his stuff stashed in a secret swiss bank account.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:16 am

Rashmun wrote:

I've never heard of Father Brown or Sambu.

Originally, Shankar Lal, I think, was serialized in a children's/boys' weekly/monthly magazine called KalkaNDu. My brother had a subscription to KalkaNDu, from which I would read the Shankar Lal story.

S. Lal's man friday was Maadhu, his household employee.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Ultimate Dalit Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:39 am

swapna wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I've never heard of Father Brown or Sambu.

Originally, Shankar Lal, I think, was serialized in a children's/boys' weekly/monthly magazine called KalkaNDu. My brother had a subscription to KalkaNDu, from which I would read the Shankar Lal story.

S. Lal's man friday was Maadhu, his household employee.

One question: is Shankar Lal a North Indian? Because his name does not seem to be a tamil name or even any South Indian name.

Ultimate Dalit

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

kalkaNdu wasn't a boy's mag.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:11 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

i don't know who is a better detective but i certainly found sherlock holmes and hercule poirot far more interesting and exciting than father brown. father brown dwells more on the spiritual and human side while sherlock holmes is all about objective and scientific reasoning. i like chesterton's writing.

the BBC series is the modern interpretation of sherlock holmes and purists wouldn't like it at all. i quite enjoyed it despite the liberties taken and of course, benedict cumberbatch rocks!

have you read alexander mccall smith's no.1 ladies' detective agency series and the sunday philosphy club series?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down