what it takes to be an honorary brahmin? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what it takes to be an honorary brahmin?

+8
Hellsangel
bw
Propagandhi711
confuzzled dude
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

what it takes to be an honorary brahmin? Empty what it takes to be an honorary brahmin?

Post by truthbetold Sun May 11, 2014 5:03 am

http://m.thehindu.com/features/magazine/the-big-paradox/article5996032.ece/?secid=2780

Read and comment. This writer is talking about many on such who support modi.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

what it takes to be an honorary brahmin? Empty Re: what it takes to be an honorary brahmin?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 5:55 am

he tiptoes around the question of whether he himself supports modi in this article. in a previous article, he answers that question more clearly:

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/india-can-do-better-than-modi-or-rahul/article4640436.ece

it's good that artistes are choosing not to remain silent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

what it takes to be an honorary brahmin? Empty Re: what it takes to be an honorary brahmin?

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 7:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:he tiptoes around the question of whether he himself supports modi in this article. in a previous article, he answers that question more clearly:

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/india-can-do-better-than-modi-or-rahul/article4640436.ece

Looks like he changed his mind. This article is old.

Either way, this dude isn't a deep thinker. He's pretty superficial.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 7:34 am

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:he tiptoes around the question of whether he himself supports modi in this article. in a previous article, he answers that question more clearly:

Looks like he changed his mind. This article is old.

Either way, this dude isn't a deep thinker. He's pretty superficial.

i agree he is not a very articulate guy. but i don't think he has changed his mind. he isn't particularly articulate, but i think in the article TBT posted, he is trying to fathom why the brahmin establishment around him all seem to be supportive of modi whereas his own inner beliefs are asking him to question the events of 2002. sort of on explainer without actually stating his own position. that's why i went looking for what HE thinks and i found it in the older article.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 am

that all said, why is what the brahmin establishment thinks or does of remote interest to anyone except themselves? they are a ridiculously small fraction of the population. their votes in any direction is not going to change the outcome of any election.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that all said, why is what the brahmin establishment thinks or does of remote interest to anyone except themselves? they are a ridiculously small fraction of the population. their votes in any direction is not going to change the outcome of any election.

This is true in TN and AP where Brahmins are 3% and 1% respectively, but it is not true for all states. In Uttar Pradesh, Brahmins are 10% of the population.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 8:33 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that all said, why is what the brahmin establishment thinks or does of remote interest to anyone except themselves? they are a ridiculously small fraction of the population. their votes in any direction is not going to change the outcome of any election.

This is true in TN and AP where Brahmins are 3% and 1% respectively, but it is not true for all states. In Uttar Pradesh, Brahmins are 10% of the population.

At a small meeting held in a private home in old Hyderabad area of Lucknow, Rita Bahuguna Joshi, the Congress candidate speaks to a group of middle class Muslim voters. Many just want to know whether she is has the support of Brahmins or not.

The community has a 10% vote bank across the state, but urban centres like Lucknow have up to 15% Brahmin voters. "My father used to say that Bharat ki aatma maile janeyu main basti hai (the soul of this country resides in the dirty janeyu, i.e.sacred thread of a rustic Brahmin)," says Salman Bashar a prominent Congress supporter. "We are waiting to see where they will go."

A poster put up by the SP in Lucknow read: "Brahmin nirdhan hoga to Sudama, or apmanit hoga toh Chankaya banega, naye raaj ki sthapanaa kar dega (if a Brahmin is poor he will be Sudama -a friend to Krishna who honoured him -- and if insulted will be Chanakya and establish a new order)."

The wait is to see which way the Brahmins choose to go.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/33707560.cms?curpg=2&utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun May 11, 2014 8:36 am

>>>The TN Brahmins neither have political nor economic power to really oppress  other castes. I wonder people like Maria say otherwise.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 9:55 am

Gujarat riot is a dead issue. Like hte politicians - with cases against them - often say that people are superior to court and by reelecting them they accept their innocence.

Modi has since won Gujarat elections since 2002 and thus the most affected - Gujaratis - have declared Modi is innocent.

The pSeudo-iSlamiais are behaving like Indian police in beating a guy into submission of a false accusation.

Rajiv may not be standing for elections - but the CONcrass (i) has a moral responsibility to answer and own Sikh riots. If anything, the only riot cases that are alive are the ones from Sikh riots... There are even cases against MT Sonia ji in the US and she has been lying, and lying scared.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 11, 2014 10:22 am

Rishi wrote:
>>>The TN Brahmins neither have political nor economic power to really oppress  other castes. I wonder people like Maria say otherwise.

"The buffalo, of course, is a lesser breed! In some ultra-traditional households, an air-wall stops non-brahmins at the kitchen door and house-help have taboos imposed on what they can touch and what they cannot."

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 10:42 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

"The buffalo, of course, is a lesser breed! In some ultra-traditional households, an air-wall stops non-brahmins at the kitchen door and house-help have taboos imposed on what they can touch and what they cannot."
More nuggets:

"Now comes the paradox. Would this same group of people, more or less as a group, go out of its way to proclaim its support to an ‘OBC’ for Prime Ministership? Yes it would, in fact, with great fervour. It is not that the upper classes have not voted for other castes in the past, but the great passion with which they seem to be backing Narendra Modi is very different. Does this mean that casteism has been erased from our minds? We know this is untrue.
"

>>>> Yes sir, reading this article, one is convinced more than ever that casteism still exists pretty strongly, that too in its ugly form.

"What the brahmins and the upper classes stand for goes beyond the rites and rituals of the Brahmin caste to something deeper — brahminism. It informs every aspect of Hindu culture framed and propagated by the controlling group — Brahmins. What does it actually represent? I do not accept the philosophical explanations given for this idea, which I believe to be excuses, as in social practice the manifestations are very different. Brahminism is about control, power, hierarchy, education, knowledge, purity and sanctity."

>>>> I can't believe he includes 'purity and sanctity' in the same sentence. Purity and sanctity of what? Definitely not of the mind. And of course, he's too shallow to accept the philosophical explanations.

"Another ugly reality of our society is all that goes with skin colour. The fairer you are then the more brahmin you will be. Ask a random South Indian what caste he thinks Modi belongs to, and you are likely to hear “I assumed he is Brahmin.” Even if you are non-Brahmin, you can, if fair-skinned, get taken to be a ‘brahmin by colour’"

>>> Racist too, not surprisingly!

Every sentence of his in the article seems outrageous. Can't believe the hindu offered space in its paper for such kind of shit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 11:06 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

More nuggets:

"Now comes the paradox. Would this same group of people, more or less as a group, go out of its way to proclaim its support to an ‘OBC’ for Prime Ministership? Yes it would, in fact, with great fervour. It is not that the upper classes have not voted for other castes in the past, but the great passion with which they seem to be backing Narendra Modi is very different. Does this mean that casteism has been erased from our minds? We know this is untrue.
"

>>>> Yes sir, reading this article, one is convinced more than ever that casteism still exists pretty strongly, that too in its ugly form.

"What the brahmins and the upper classes stand for goes beyond the rites and rituals of the Brahmin caste to something deeper — brahminism. It informs every aspect of Hindu culture framed and propagated by the controlling group — Brahmins. What does it actually represent? I do not accept the philosophical explanations given for this idea, which I believe to be excuses, as in social practice the manifestations are very different. Brahminism is about control, power, hierarchy, education, knowledge, purity and sanctity."

>>>> I can't believe he includes 'purity and sanctity' in the same sentence. Purity and sanctity of what? Definitely not of the mind. And of course, he's too shallow to accept the philosophical explanations.

"Another ugly reality of our society is all that goes with skin colour. The fairer you are then the more brahmin you will be. Ask a random South Indian what caste he thinks Modi belongs to, and you are likely to hear “I assumed he is Brahmin.” Even if you are non-Brahmin, you can, if fair-skinned, get taken to be a ‘brahmin by colour’"

>>> Racist too, not surprisingly!

Every sentence of his in the article seems outrageous. Can't believe the hindu offered space in its paper for such kind of shit.

Have a daoubt:

What caste is MT Sonia ji?

Rahul - son of Rajiv - son of Indira/Feroz Gandhi (Muslim or Farsi) - what caste?

Priyanka - married to a Christian (likely converted from harijan/Dalit/BC) - what caste ?

Why wouldn't the Brahmins who vote for the above would not vote for a OBC?

Besides isn;t being labeled a OBC a "proud" matter these days? I bet TN Brahmins would love to be added to the PBC list.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 11:39 am

i think he was taking a crack at explaining why the conservative older brahmin establishment is supportive of modi. in effect he was psychoanalyzing the tamil and telugu brahmin establishment he is most familiar with. i can't believe he himself, being a young man believes in all that claptrap.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 11:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think he was taking a crack at explaining why the conservative older brahmin establishment is supportive of modi. in effect he was psychoanalyzing the tamil and telugu brahmin establishment he is most familiar with. i can't believe he himself, being a young man believes in all that claptrap.
Correction: Telugu brahmins don't have this extreme kind of mindset. They are more wiser, not the superficial kind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 11:48 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Have a daoubt:

Rahul - son of Rajiv - son of Indira/Feroz Gandhi (Muslim or Farsi) - what caste?

Priyanka - married to a Christian (likely converted from harijan/Dalit/BC) - what caste ?

Besides isn;t being labeled a OBC a  "proud" matter these days?   I bet TN Brahmins would love to be added to the PBC list.
Didn't Rahul declare himself to be a Brahmin recently? How did that happen? Going by the patriarchal hierarchy, he is technically a Parsi, no?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 12:00 pm

"I am aware that reasons for a minority community to behave in a certain way are usually driven by the behaviour of the dominant group. The “dominants” manipulate and coerce the weak to act in certain ways."

He is treading carefully - mindful that any word can be misinterpreted putting him in a spot. At the same time, he wants to "show" that he is a bigger representative of "intellectuals"

The problem with some of these intellectuals is that their exposure outside their small circle of elites - is very limited. All these guys are seeing the society from 5000 feet above the ground (reality).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Have a daoubt:

Besides isn;t being labeled a OBC a  "proud" matter these days?   I bet TN Brahmins would love to be added to the PBC list.
Didn't Rahul declare himself to be a Brahmin recently? How did that happen? Going by the patriarchal hierarchy, he is technically a Parsi, no?

Reminds me of a joke from a Vadivelu movie:

"People who are fair don't lie"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Have a daoubt:

Reminds me of a joke from a Vadivelu movie:

"People who are fair don't lie"
Lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun May 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Upps is schizo on a daily basis, can't decide if he likes one group or the next buthe has some internal mechanism that allows him to reconcile all his belief systems. Most ppl do it but he excels in it

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think he was taking a crack at explaining why the conservative older brahmin establishment is supportive of modi. in effect he was psychoanalyzing the tamil and telugu brahmin establishment he is most familiar with. i can't believe he himself, being a young man believes in all that claptrap.
Correction: Telugu brahmins don't have this extreme kind of mindset. They are more wiser, not the superficial kind.

he is a telugu born and raised in madras. since he didn't mention it specifically i assumed he was drawing on his experience from the CM world which consists of both tamil and telugu brahmins.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 12:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

he is a telugu born and raised in madras. since he didn't mention it specifically i assumed he was drawing on his experience from the CM world which consists of both tamil and telugu brahmins.
whatever it is, he needs to read/listen to some philosophical stuff related to hinduism and obtain some deeper understanding of it and not stick to just the ritualistic part and believe that it is what it is to it. He's very shallow. People like him are a blot to Hinduism.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:Upps is schizo on a daily basis, can't decide if he likes one group or the next buthe has some internal mechanism that allows him to reconcile all his belief systems. Most ppl do it but he excels in it

I divide any personality into segments and look for good things in "bad people" and bad things in "good people".

Takes me a very long time to call someone bad - usually I am the last to make that call. But, once made very hard to change it. But, I very few people I call REALLY bad.

So each day when I say things differently, it is based on another segment of the same person. That now, is my mechanism...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 pm

he is a controversial figure within the CM establishment. highly talented, but given to controversy. i think he has said he is an atheist.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 12:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:he is a controversial figure within the CM establishment. highly talented, but given to controversy. i think he has said he is an atheist.
So he is one more loony, a desi psuedo leftist idiot.

Last edited by Kinnera on Sun May 11, 2014 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 12:47 pm

oh i'm loving the evolution of the labels in this thread too.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 12:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:oh i'm loving the evolution of the labels in this thread too.
Keep loving. Don't forget, you were the one who started it. All the credit goes to you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:oh i'm loving the evolution of the labels in this thread too.
Keep loving. Don't forget, you were the one who started it. All the credit goes to you Smile

not really it was TBT. i just provided more context.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 1:19 pm

here is a critique of t m krishna that should make some people who had never heard of him before today, happy.

http://kupamanduka.livejournal.com/31623.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 1:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:here is a critique of t m krishna that should make some people who had never heard of him before today, happy.

http://kupamanduka.livejournal.com/31623.html
When i read the article in this thread, i knew zilch about the author. I don't care who he is. The contents of the article seemed pretty outrageous and so i joined CD in condemning them. They needed to be condemned and anyone who holds those beliefs and has that kind of an attitude needed to be condemned by one and all. If the author holds such beliefs, to hell with him. If he is an atheist and is exaggerating the attitude of the brahmins in order for ppl to get disgusted, to hell with him again. Because a vast majority of normal, regular hindus are nothing like that. If there do exist a trickle of such bigots, they need to be shot down (not literally) and condemned because they are the blots to hinduism who bring a bad name to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun May 11, 2014 6:25 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

i don't think anyone practises such nonsense today. this was perhaps true some decades ago, among some brahmins.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 11, 2014 6:29 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

i don't think anyone practises such nonsense today. this was perhaps true some decades ago, among some brahmins.

Are you sure about that, Lucy?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun May 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Are you sure about that, Lucy?

well, not sure but i haven't come across anyone doing or talking about such things openly. i know that for certain rituals, only 'brahmins' are invited but other than that, i haven't seen anything like what this guy is talking of.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun May 11, 2014 7:29 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

i don't think anyone follows such nonsense today. this was perhaps true some decades ago, among some brahmins.
>>Brahmins were originally priests. Hindusim mandated that brahmins stay clean, take bath many times a day, live an austere life, eat clean food and maintain hygeine. So they had to discriminate. Like Orthodox jews who have to eat kosher food, brahmins had to follow dietary strictures.

India is not a modern country with health laws being strictyly enforced .

Indians as a whole are dirty and unhygienic people.

Be happy at least brahmins had some good sense to practice some self discipline, hygiene and stay clean.

Btw the OBCs have no business of complaining about brahmins. In TN, in some small towns, OBCs made a huge protest when their kids were given by the food prepared by dalit women. It was the mid-day meals scheme implemented by the TN government for school kids.

Most of the non brahmins in TN especially OBCs are bunch of hypocrites.

One of my friend visited his Nadar Christian friend who lived in a village near Tiruchendur.  The next day morning, My friend's host told him "I will be back in an hour. I have to keep our church open to receive the priest". He used the word Iyer. That is what Tamil Christians call their priest. It seems the village has two churches. One for nadars and the other one for Dalits. Nadars do not want to pray together with the Dalits. Both Churches have the  same man as their priest. First the priest goes to the Dalit church , conducts the services. Then he takes a bath in the village tank to purify himself. This was mandated by the Nadras. Then he goes to the Nadar church and conducts separate services for the Nadar community.

A few years ago, a Tamil Christian couple forced a dalit man to eat human excreta because he had not yet repaid the money he borrowed.

But all the non-brahmins close ranks against Brahmins.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 7:45 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

The only place I have faced some "attitudinal discrimination" is at some Raghavendra mutt in Madras some years back and 2 months ago at the Udipi Krishna mutt - which pissed me off to no extent. But, still I did not see open instructions or billboards.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun May 11, 2014 7:49 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

The only place I have faced some "attitudinal discrimination" is at some Raghavendra mutt in Madras some years back and 2 months ago at the Udipi Krishna mutt - which pissed me off to no extent. But, still I did not see open instructions or billboards.
The Nair couple  was looking to hire  a cleaning lady. When I recommended the Hispanic woman I know, the man said "I will not let her inside the kitchen and the puja room."

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 7:55 pm

what about his original thesis that brahmins support modi because they have accepted him as one of their own. can we get back to discussing that?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 8:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what about his original thesis that brahmins support modi because they have accepted him as one of their own. can we get back to discussing that?
Please start the discussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 8:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what about his original thesis that brahmins support modi because they have accepted him as one of their own. can we get back to discussing that?

Brahmins support Modi bcz they think Modi is the one who will do something about saving hindus. That is my theory which is as good as that T M Krishna (Bhagavathar).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun May 11, 2014 9:44 pm

first off, his view of "brahmins" is antiquated. 

instead of directly saying that 'brahmins' are choosing modi coz of their deep-rooted bigotry, he has sugarcoated it with words like "control, power, hierarchy, education, knowledge, purity and sanctity". if that's his thesis, why does he not extend it all hindus?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 11, 2014 9:55 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

I think this practice is as prevalent as OBCs raping & killing dalits.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Rishi wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

i don't think anyone follows such nonsense today. this was perhaps true some decades ago, among some brahmins.
>>Brahmins were originally priests. Hindusim mandated that brahmins stay clean, take bath many times a day, live an austere life, eat clean food and maintain hygeine. So they had to discriminate. Like Orthodox jews who have to eat kosher food, brahmins had to follow dietary strictures.

Be happy at least brahmins had some good sense to practice some self discipline, hygiene and stay clean.

Btw the OBCs have no business of complaining about brahmins. In TN, in some small towns, OBCs made a huge protest when their kids were given by the food prepared by dalit women. It was the mid-day meals scheme implemented by the TN government for school kids.

One of my friend visited his Nadar Christian friend who lived in a village near Tiruchendur.  The next day morning, My friend's host told him "I will be back in an hour. I have to keep our church open to receive the priest". He used the word Iyer. That is what Tamil Christians call their priest. It seems the village has two churches. One for nadars and the other one for Dalits. Nadars do not want to pray together with the Dalits. Both Churches have the  same man as their priest. First the priest goes to the Dalit church , conducts the services. Then he takes a bath in the village tank to purify himself. This was mandated by the Nadras. Then he goes to the Nadar church and conducts separate services for the Nadar community.

A few years ago, a Tamil Christian couple forced a dalit man to eat human excreta because he had not yet repaid the money he borrowed.

We all know where would this others do it too argument leads to..

Speaking of cleanliness, hygiene, there is a saying in A.P, I think I mentioned this before, which goes like brahmmalaku inti subhrame kani vant subhram vundadu which literally translates to brahmins are only bothered about body hygiene not their house or surroundings, in other words they don't keep their houses clean.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun May 11, 2014 10:39 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

I think this practice is as prevalent as OBCs raping & killing dalits.

you are sending mixed signals - supporting muslims in some and defending OBCs (hindus) now. are you having an identity crisis? you shouldn't mess with SUCH people so. make up your mind so that you may be labelled correctly.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon May 12, 2014 9:03 am

Rishi wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

you poor ashkenazis have it so hard tch tch

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 am

truthbetold wrote:http://m.thehindu.com/features/magazine/the-big-paradox/article5996032.ece/?secid=2780

Read and comment. This writer is talking about many on such who support modi.

TBT,

Considering this group is a very small percentage of the population, I think he is focusing too much energy on it. It isn't like these guys are some big time opinion leaders either. As a welcome change, India has opened up and people are asserting themselves more. The attraction to Modi on the basis of his Hindutva credentials is neither unique to Brahmins nor the complete story. Modi is associated with the ability to grow the economy and that is a very huge part of the story. In terms of this gentleman's thesis, it makes for a good read as a sociological paper on Brahmins, but I am not sure there is any broader value in it.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon May 12, 2014 9:59 am

confuzzled dude wrote:We all know where would this others do it too argument leads to..

Speaking of cleanliness, hygiene, there is a saying in A.P, I think I mentioned this before, which goes like brahmmalaku inti subhrame kani vant subhram vundadu which literally translates to brahmins are only bothered about body hygiene not their house or surroundings, in other words they don't keep their houses clean.

General observation is that they don't keep their Living and Bedrooms on par with others - decorated and attractive. Their kitchen, dining, study and pooja areas/rooms are very well kept compared to others. Also this is generally true with many lower and just middle class SI brahmins. Very few NI brahmins I encountered seemed to do better on this front. Once they are up on the economic ladder i.e. upper middle or rich then they all seem to do better at having a well kept, clean and decorated home and surroundings.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon May 12, 2014 10:47 am

Soothbesold, what does the question mark at the end of the title of your post mean?

The title should be either:

1) "What it takes to be an honorary brahmin"; (note the absence of the question mark); or

2) "What does it take to be an honorary brahmin?" (Note the word "does," and the question mark.)

Sooth, your title is neither. The original article's title is the same as 1. You copied it, then attached an erroneous question mark! In other words, northindianized a perfectly good title and made it bad!!

Sooth, the least you can do for yourself is to learn to copy correctly.

A note to the byte-counter: I doubt if Sooth needs your help; you just keep on counting, fella.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon May 12, 2014 10:58 am

Rishi wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Amazing! I could never have guessed that any of this might be true!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Rishi wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

"Most of the non-brahmins of TN, especially the OBCs, are hypocrites." -- rishi.

I remember that you treated Ponniyin Selvan - was he not an OBC? - with great deference, while he distorted facts, lied outright, and argued aggressively for unearned benefits. Were you and the other brahmins here silent because of your guilt? And was Maria S silent because she, a Christian, is of the same caste as he?

What gives you the courage to speak up now about the OBCs?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon May 12, 2014 12:52 pm

swapna wrote:
Rishi wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rishi wrote:

"Most of the non-brahmins of TN, especially the OBCs, are hypocrites." -- rishi.

I remember that you treated Ponniyin Selvan - was he not an OBC? - with great deference, while he distorted facts, lied outright, and argued aggressively for unearned benefits. Were you and the other brahmins here silent because of your guilt? And was Maria S silent because she, a Christian, is of the same caste as he?

What gives you the courage to speak up now about the OBCs?

>>>I never treated PS with any deference. I did not want to get into fights since he has many supporters who would take his side.

I kept silent. Even if I raise the issue of OBCs freeloading the system, other brahmins like Max, kris etc are quick on their feet to brand me a bigot, casteist etc.

I speak up now because I had enough of this $shit and hypocrisy here.

Btw, you are correct to a large extent about brahmin guilt.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 12, 2014 12:56 pm

eh? i have never supported unlimited quotas or affirmative action.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next