India renamed as Bharat - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India renamed as Bharat

+11
Maria S
michelle2
ashdoc
swapna
Vakavaka Pakapaka
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
confuzzled dude
nevada
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
smArtha
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

India renamed as Bharat - Page 2 Empty Re: India renamed as Bharat

Post by swapna Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:00 am

Rashmun wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Kinnera wrote:It's high time India is renamed as Bharat. Time to bring back old names. Madras was renamed as Chennai, Bombay as Mumbai, Calcutta as Kolkata, Trivandrum as Tiruvanantapuram, Bangalore as Bengaluru, etc. Why not India as Bharat? Hope it gets done soon.

the capital of kerala state is thiruvananthapuram, not tiruvanantapuram. i've never seen the name of that city spelt the way you did. google for tiruvanantapuram and note the results. there is no 't' sound in malayalam or thamizh; indeed, there is no 't' sound in hindi or any other indian language. the northindians don't know that because they don't know the correct sound of the english 't'.

the reason for your spelling thiruvananthapuram incorrectly, as you did, is obvious; you feel better about yourself when you make the same errors that the northindians make!

Hindi and Sanskrit have both the English hard t sound ( as in tomato which is called tamaatar in Hindi) and also the soft french t sound ( for instance tota in Hindi meaning parrot).
I disagree. I've heard numerous indians speak, many of them northindians, but never heard any of them pronounce the english 't' correctly, as in the englsh words "tea" and "latent."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 am

is this the most important change that you think should be brought about to/in india?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:32 am

Maria, India is not a Sanskrit word. It came from the word Indus, which is river Indus that now flows in Pakistan. 
btw, the name 'hindu' also came from that river (Sindhu, Hindu, Indus)
Bharata is a Sanskrit word, not north indian or south indian.

A friend of mine said that she has some Indian genes on her mom's side. I thought it was the asian indian blood. it turns out to be native american. your post reminded me of that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:39 am

swapna wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Kinnera wrote:It's high time India is renamed as Bharat. Time to bring back old names. Madras was renamed as Chennai, Bombay as Mumbai, Calcutta as Kolkata, Trivandrum as Tiruvanantapuram, Bangalore as Bengaluru, etc. Why not India as Bharat? Hope it gets done soon.

the capital of kerala state is thiruvananthapuram, not tiruvanantapuram. i've never seen the name of that city spelt the way you did. google for tiruvanantapuram and note the results. there is no 't' sound in malayalam or thamizh; indeed, there is no 't' sound in hindi or any other indian language. the northindians don't know that because they don't know the correct sound of the english 't'.

the reason for your spelling thiruvananthapuram incorrectly, as you did, is obvious; you feel better about yourself when you make the same errors that the northindians make!

Hindi and Sanskrit have both the English hard t sound ( as in tomato which is called tamaatar in Hindi) and also the soft french t sound ( for instance tota in Hindi meaning parrot).
I disagree. I've heard numerous indians speak, many of them northindians, but never heard any of them pronounce the english 't' correctly, as in the englsh words "tea" and "latent."

Just because the people you heard mispronounced some words does not mean that the hard and soft 't' sounds are not present in both Hindi and Sanskrit. Just because some hindi speakers do not pronounce the "sh" sound properly does not mean it does not exist in Hindi and Sanskrit. In the anecdote below the lawyer was obviously using the "sa" sound instead do the "sha" sound.

---
Chief Justice Kamala Kanta Verma was very particular about correct pronunciation. The counsel appearing before him had the reputation of being religious-minded but he could not pronounce 'Sh' and went on saying 'Application', 'tradition', and so on. Every time, the advocate pronounced the sibilant) the Chief Justice winced. When he could not bear any more, he asked the advocate, "Do you believe in god Shiva" "Yes, my Lord", replied the Advocate. "Then", suggested the Chief Justice, you better recite 'Shiv Shambho, Shiv Shambho, Shiv Shambho' a hundred times every morning."

---
The Hindi word "tatti", meaning shit, is using the hard t sound and not the soft t sound. Meanwhile this article may be of interest to you:

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/jugglebandhi/angrezi-hatao/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 am

swapna wrote:is this the most important change that you think should be brought about to/in india?
Did you ask the same question when Madras was changed to Chennai or Trivandrum to THiruvanantapuram?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:53 am

Maria S wrote:Good morning fellow Bharathian-American (?) Kinnera!

That does not even sound right (or sweet to my ears!)..Indian and "India" works for me..and they should leave it alone! 

Unless the geographical borders change for some reason..some imperial power takes over..India is "born again"..don't see any reason for messing up..I mean changing the name! 

Frankly, I have no "name" it this fight..India is a Sanskrit name, Bharat is a Hindi name..and I don't see anyone rushing to come up with a "pure tamil name" for India, although technically- we are "all Indians"..and have equal rights. But, I am not in a state of fantasy..don't see that happening..and even if it does..it would be called "Amma Nadu" today (at the rapid rate in which the names of everything is being changed to Amma something in my beloved Tamil Nadu!)

*I really wish they would have left "Madras" alone too. I still refer to Madras as Madras as much as possible! 

My dearest American:

I agree with the idiotic name change to Madras. I continued to use and callit Madras even in India. Good that IIT-M, Madras Port, Madras Medical College, Madras Christian College, etc keep Madras name alive. If we can still use Mount Road, Pycroft, Cathedral, Peters, Eldams, Burkit Roads decades after name changes then using Madras is just fine.

Barath(am) is Indian name. Do we use INDIA in the National Anthem. I rest my case.

I know a few children- girls (some adults now) named "India"..White, Black, Carribean..even one Canadian..for some interesting reasons, and have never been to India.. One because an ancestor visited India..in the case of one young lady..like Pres. Obama's father..her "Indian" father came to study in the US..and made a baby with a nice American student..went back to India, did not really care about her.. and married a nice Indian student and made more babies:)
But, she seems to have kept the name..well, that's a different matter..

"India" triggered some thoughts about some Indias:)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 am

I don't give a damn what you call your country. Tamil Nadu has never been part of it ubder whatever name.

>> No many call Chennai as Madras anymore.

Except Hindian gov institutions. Madras High Court. Madras IIT.

>> India is the name given by the imperialists.

The so called India country itself was formed by imperialists. Let us go to the consituent countries. Tamil Nadu, etc.

>> India was the land referred to by the Greek historian Megasthanes who had accompanied Alexander to India in the 4th century BC. ------------ Megasthanes had written a book called Indica to refer to the present day Indian sub-continent

He was referring to northern part of South Asia

>> There's something that connected/connects the ppl of this entire country,

Yes, the guns in the hands of indian army controlled by Hindians

>> The aryan migration that probably happened thousands of years ago comes in very handy to him to create the divisions.

What divides this artificial country is the high handed selfish acts of Hindi politicians who push their regional, cultural interests above others.

>> Unless the geographical borders change for some reason..some imperial power takes over..

If that is the only way to change borders, come on imeperial tower take over this artificial India.

>> "India" triggered some thoughts
India triggers primarily 2 thoughts in me. 1965 massacre. 2009 massacre.

Last edited by Kayalvizhi on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 am

Kinnera wrote:Maria, India is not a Sanskrit word. It came from the word Indus, which is river Indus that now flows in Pakistan. 
btw, the name 'hindu' also came from that river (Sindhu, Hindu, Indus)
Bharata is a Sanskrit word, not north indian or south indian.

A friend of mine said that she has some Indian genes on her mom's side. I thought it was the asian indian blood. it turns out to be native american. your post reminded me of that Smile

What you say, may be technically correct.
I have not done much research related to the name "India"..from what I know, India is a westernized term of Indus-Sindhu..with multiple root-sources..Sanskrit, Persian, even Greek etc.

Bharat/a is even less appealing! The more we examine this..we will find more divisions and disagreement, and that is not good for the morale of uniting Indians, imo.

On a lighter note, as your friend indicated..all of us will find that we do have mixed ancestry - if we undergo DNA genealogy analysis! People often ask me if I am Native American..followed by the "hair comment" (which I take as a compliment- being seen as Pocahontas..although with age, getting it cut much shorter!) ..one of these days..will pay that $250 and get the genealogy analysis done!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:21 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:I don't give a damn what you call your country. Tamil Nadu has never been part of it ubder whatever name.

>> No many call Chennai as Madras anymore.

Except Hindian gov institutions. Madras High Court. Madras IIT.

>> India is the name given by the imperialists.

The so called India country itself was formed by imperialists. Let us go to the consituent countries. Tamil Nadu, etc.

>> India was the land referred to by the Greek historian Megasthanes who had accompanied Alexander to India in the 4th century BC. ------------ Megasthanes had written a book called Indica to refer to the present day Indian sub-continent

He was referring to northern part of South Asia

>> There's something that connected/connects the ppl of this entire country,

Yes, the guns in the hands of indian army controlled by Hindians

>> The aryan migration that probably happened thousands of years ago comes in very handy to him to create the divisions.

What divides this artificial country is the high handed selfish acts of Hindi politicians who push their regional, cultural interests above others.

>> Unless the geographical borders change for some reason..some imperial power takes over..

If that is the only way to change borders, come on imeperial tower take over this artificial India.

>> "India" triggered some thoughts
India triggers primarily 2 thoughts in me. 1965 massacre. 2009 massacre.
Hey Kayar,

Are you suggesting that Agastya was not a Tamil?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:23 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Maria S wrote:

My dearest American:

I agree with the idiotic name change to Madras. I continued to use and callit Madras even in India. Good that IIT-M, Madras Port, Madras Medical College, Madras Christian College, etc keep Madras name alive. If we can still use Mount Road, Pycroft, Cathedral, Peters, Eldams, Burkit Roads decades after name changes then using Madras is just fine.

Barath(am) is Indian name. Do we use INDIA in the National Anthem. I rest my case.

Hello there.. dearest fellow American Smile

That's all!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:25 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Maria S wrote:Good morning fellow Bharathian-American (?) Kinnera!

That does not even sound right (or sweet to my ears!)..Indian and "India" works for me..and they should leave it alone! 

Unless the geographical borders change for some reason..some imperial power takes over..India is "born again"..don't see any reason for messing up..I mean changing the name! 

Frankly, I have no "name" it this fight..India is a Sanskrit name, Bharat is a Hindi name..and I don't see anyone rushing to come up with a "pure tamil name" for India, although technically- we are "all Indians"..and have equal rights. But, I am not in a state of fantasy..don't see that happening..and even if it does..it would be called "Amma Nadu" today (at the rapid rate in which the names of everything is being changed to Amma something in my beloved Tamil Nadu!)

*I really wish they would have left "Madras" alone too. I still refer to Madras as Madras as much as possible! 

I know a few children- girls (some adults now) named "India"..White, Black, Carribean..even one Canadian..for some interesting reasons, and have never been to India.. One because an ancestor visited India..in the case of one young lady..like Pres. Obama's father..her "Indian" father came to study in the US..and made a baby with a nice American student..went back to India, did not really care about her.. and married a nice Indian student and made more babies:)
But, she seems to have kept the name..well, that's a different matter..

"India" triggered some thoughts about some Indias:)

My dearest American:

If we change India's name to Barath, in another 25 years, America will be full of people with names like Barath, Barat, barathi, etc....etc.. This is the most effective way to Barathitize America.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:30 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:If we change India's name to Barath, in another 25 years, America will be full of people with names like Barath, Barat, barathi, etc....etc..  This is the most effective way to Barathitize America.

Very funny!

Do you have a problem with "H"..wy? maratadi saamiyaar  Very Happy!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 am

Maria S wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:If we change India's name to Barath, in another 25 years, America will be full of people with names like Barath, Barat, barathi, etc....etc..  This is the most effective way to Barathitize America.

Very funny!

Do you have a problem with "H"..wy? maratadi saamiyaar  Very Happy!

There is t and th in tamil and so I have no problem and I am not as allergic to sanskrit as KV or ThOmas Iyer. I get pissed off only when someone dictates me to do something.

I am thinking of changng my handle...one of these days.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:49 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar! wrote:
There is t and th in tamil and so I have no problem and I am not as allergic to sanskrit as KV or ThOmas Iyer. I get pissed off only when someone dictates me to do something.

Sure U..be yourself:) 

I was just teasing, you know that.

To me, you will always..one-of-a-kind U!

Ok, done with Sat. morning rounds and chores. take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Maria S wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar! wrote:

Sure U..be yourself:) 

I was just teasing, you know that.

To me, you will always..one-of-a-kind U!

Ok, done with Sat. morning rounds and chores. take care.

That must be in a Al-Akbari way...bcz I asked you about a coffee date last July 4 weekend....never got any reply...and I went through Birmingham and decided to take the Chattanooga route back.

Dont tell me you were out of town...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Oh..It is not Akbar or Mumtaz way! 

அப்படியா..நானும் அந்த வாரம் ஊரில் இல்லை..வேற ஊருக்கு போயிட்டு வந்தேன்! 

Please send messages via this forum. Next time, let me know in advance. 
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Maria S wrote:Oh..It is not Akbar or Mumtaz way! 

அப்படியா..நானும் அந்த வாரம் ஊரில் இல்லை..வேற ஊருக்கு போயிட்டு வந்தேன்! 

Please send messages via this forum. Next time, let me know in advance. 

I sented message through this forum wonly... bcz I dont get any reply to emails...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:47 pm

It's quite simple, no message-no reply!

Ok, seriously, let me know next time.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:59 pm

truthbetold wrote:Michelle/swapna/flimflam,

since you have a lot of free time on your hands, try to find answers to some existential questions.

Your posts demonstrate your permanent state of loneliness and anger against any sense of enjoyment expressed in other people's posts.  Why are you so filled with hate?  What incident in your life caused you to become such a bitter monster?

Are you abused by some one in your family or as is common in some religious groups, by some religious figure?  Were you unable to find help or no one believed in you?  

Your posts show your brazen attempt to gain a little prestige from other family members. It is pathetic to live off the reputation of a daughter.  Why do you not have the self esteem to not brag about other family members ?

Your intense internal dissatisfaction with life and your family life is reflected in your efforts to put down others through spell checking and grammar policing. Where did you learn such mean behavior? 

A sharp weapon or a skill or the power of words can be used in either a positive or a negative way. You chose to use your abilities to to spread hatred and ill will.  Does that make you happy and contended?
Swapna/michelle/flimflam,

This is a topic you can claim to be an expert. We are waiting for your expert opinion.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:05 pm

swapna wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Here is another gem of bharat from the efforts of Naushad and Rafi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QFyW5Hhxd4
SoothBeSold, will you be shedding tears of nationalistic fervour while demanding that india be renamed according to the hindi language and northindian tradition?  

northindians will approve, and include you in a conversation or two, for which you'll feel enormously grateful and shed more tears, but they'll kick you in the teeth as usual soon thereafter, because you're a "kallu," and a "gult," and your hindi stinks.

btw, are you a citizen of india?
Thanks for the sermon. Did you ever give one such sermon to your hindiot friend when he posted racist jokes and links to racist forums about Gults ? Oh I forgot. You are a groveling ingratiator to the northindians. So , never mind.
PS: Is that the reason why you became an ingratiator? To avoid the ignominy of them calling you a kallu mallu ? Come on, grow a pair. If the northindians call you a kallu mallu , it reflects on them. You don't have to change your behavior and become a groveling ingratiator.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:47 am

Kinnera wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Yeah? Do you have any scriptural reference in support of this? Is this what you write any time a form asks for your religion?
Did i talk about scriptural reference? It is something that denotes the nature of the religion or whatever you call it. Hinduism is the word coined by outsiders for their own convenience (to whatever things that the majority of ppl on the other side of the river Sindhu follow) and we are all using it. That may change too. Is that a problem?
No problem. But what if our forefathers never thought of the concept of religion itself?
Do we now make up a name just so we can tell those foreigners where to stuff the label they made up for our way of life?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am

truthbetold wrote:Rash
India comes from Indus or Sindh river.  It comes from early economic activity between india and middle east. 

One argument is that hind is a variation of sindh.  While it may not have been used before a certain time in history, it is a not an unrelated word to people living near and below sindh river. 

Natives have no need to call their culture and beliefs with a name. People with multitude of variations of local beliefs are considered to be of the same belief system.  They were not looking to conquer other nations in the name of spreading religion. So they felt no need to invent a name.

The word "Bharata" occurs in the Rig Veda in several hymns in reference to the people. Moreover, the origin of words "Sindh" and "Indus" etc. (including "Sindhu" probably) might originally be from the Vedic "Indu" (meaning propitious libation, sacred water, beneficial / good water) and not the other way around (Sindh or “Sindhu” giving rise to “Indus”).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2