not the usual bollywood crap Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

not the usual bollywood crap

+8
b_A
Obnoxious
swapna
Kris
bw
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
nevada
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

not the usual bollywood crap Empty not the usual bollywood crap

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:28 pm

maqbool -- an adaptation of macbeth in the context of the bombay underworld.  there were no bachchchchchans or dutts in the movie.  there was a khan, but not one of the singing, dancing khans.  in any case, i enjoyed it.  slickly produced, no melodrama other than what's in the original play. it's not strictly macbeth, but also has some bombay underworld masala infused in it.  the fact that the screenplay was highly urduized did not detract from my enjoyment of the film. i have never watched any movies featuring tabu. she was a revelation.  the other folks in the movie are ones that i have always liked -- irfan khan who i first liked in namesake and of course naseeruddin shah and om puri.  shah and puri essayed the role of the witches converted into superstitious hindu policemen who prognosticate about various events that are about to happen in maqbool's life. i have to look for more movies by vishal bharadwaj.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

not the usual bollywood crap Empty Re: not the usual bollywood crap

Post by nevada Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Which Khan is in the movie? Irfan Khan? I recently saw a movie "The Lunch box" featuring him. A decent effort, without the typical bollywood nautch gana.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:maqbool -- an adaptation of macbeth in the context of the bombay underworld.  there were no bachchchchchans or dutts in the movie.  there was a khan, but not one of the singing, dancing khans.  in any case, i enjoyed it.  slickly produced, no melodrama other than what's in the original play. it's not strictly macbeth, but also has some bombay underworld masala infused in it.  the fact that the screenplay was highly urduized did not detract from my enjoyment of the film. i have never watched any movies featuring tabu. she was a revelation.  the other folks in the movie are ones that i have always liked -- irfan khan who i first liked in namesake and of course naseeruddin shah and om puri.  i have to look for more movies by vishal bharadwaj.

Tabu is one of the better actresses. She must be in her late 30s/early 40s and mostly acted in character roles - in Tamil, telugu, Hindi (She is a hyderbadi Gult). I really like her.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:34 pm

nevada wrote:Which Khan is in the movie? Irfan Khan? I recently saw a movie "The Lunch box" featuring him. A decent effort, without the typical bollywood nautch gana.

yes irfan khan.  he played one of the central roles in the film adaptation of jhumpa lahiri's namesake.  he played the role of the professor who is gogol's father in that movie.  in this movie, he plays the title role of maqbool (macbeth).

speaking of which, i just remembered that tabu also plays irfan khan's wife (gogol's mother) in the namesake. somehow i placed irfan khan right away, but it took me a long time to place tabu in the context of the namesake.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Omkara is one of the best movies i ever watched. Also by Vishal Bharadwaj.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:04 pm

nevada wrote:Which Khan is in the movie? Irfan Khan? I recently saw a movie "The Lunch box" featuring him. A decent effort, without the typical bollywood nautch gana.

i watched lunchbox. it was an interesting movie. are there more such movies that don't follow the formula and have none of those cringeworthy buffed, pretty boys of bollywood?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Kinnera wrote:Omkara is one of the best movies i ever watched. Also by Vishal Bharadwaj.

apparently that's a modern indian adaptation of othello. i do plan to watch it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:06 pm

bw wrote:

i watched lunchbox. it was an interesting movie. are there more such movies that don't follow the formula and have none of those cringeworthy buffed, pretty boys of bollywood?

maqbool has no buffed up pretty boys.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Omkara is one of the best movies i ever watched. Also by Vishal Bharadwaj.

apparently that's a modern indian adaptation of othello. i do plan to watch it.
Ya, it's an adaptation of othello. very well made.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:22 pm

bw wrote:

36 chowringhee lane. old movie. I loved it!

Raincoat is another reco.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:26 pm

Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:

i've watched that. it had jennifer kendal. it was a very nice movie.

any recent ones? i think there is a lot more experimentation done these days and more offbeat movies made.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:28 pm

bw wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:

any recent ones? i think there is a lot more experimentation done these days and more offbeat movies made.

how about the film adaptation of such a long journey? i read the book a long time ago. i like rohinton mistry a lot, but i think i liked the film version better than the book.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:32 pm

bw wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:

did you watch Hyderabad blues 1 and 2 and also Dor? (older ones too)

nagesh kukunoor is another director that i like.

Life in a metro- Anurag basu. Want to watch 'kites' by him.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:

thanks. shall try to get hold of those.

i have watched "life in a metro". it was good but i recall feeling that the director decided to take the conservative approach with respect to the lead lady's choices.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Raincoat- another good movie.

Ship of Theseus-i want to watch this. Heard some good things abt it.

btw, I started reading 'The gold finch'. Pretty engaging.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:

Raincoat is another reco.
>>>That was a nice movie. Very poignant.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:maqbool -- an adaptation of macbeth in the context of the bombay underworld.  there were no bachchchchchans or dutts in the movie.  there was a khan, but not one of the singing, dancing khans.  in any case, i enjoyed it.  slickly produced, no melodrama other than what's in the original play. it's not strictly macbeth, but also has some bombay underworld masala infused in it.  the fact that the screenplay was highly urduized did not detract from my enjoyment of the film. i have never watched any movies featuring tabu. she was a revelation.  the other folks in the movie are ones that i have always liked -- irfan khan who i first liked in namesake and of course naseeruddin shah and om puri.  i have to look for more movies by vishal bharadwaj.

Tabu is one of the better actresses. She must be in her late 30s/early 40s and mostly acted in character roles - in Tamil, telugu, Hindi (She is a hyderbadi Gult). I really like her.

>>>She is shabana azmi's niece. There were a bunch of art movies with azmi which were pretty cool +I thought she was gorgeous in them.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:14 pm

I too watched "the lunchbox" and enjoyed it.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:17 pm

don't watch this -- vaatsav. apparently this was a cult classic in the 90's. horrible horrible movie. no idea why this was such a hit. will never watch another movie that has sanjay dutt in it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:18 pm

......Tabu - my public service.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Kinnera wrote:Raincoat- another good movie.

Ship of Theseus-i want to watch this. Heard some good things abt it.

btw, I started reading 'The gold finch'. Pretty engaging.

great, i have a list now. haven't read "the gold finch" though i have heard about it. i will see if my library has it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:don't watch this -- vaatsav. apparently this was a cult classic in the 90's. horrible horrible movie. no idea why this was such a hit. will never watch another movie that has sanjay dutt in it.

the lead character in this movie reminded me of a certain sentimental character on sulekha who got drunk every thursday night and got out of control, alternating between abusive and maudlin posts. he still posts here occasionally.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:22 am

Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
bw wrote:

I would recommend skipping it. Unless you are a fan of Hrithik.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:30 am

Is someone brave enough to watch these Satyajit Ray movies?

http://putlocker.is/search/advanced_search.php?section=0&q=&director=satyajit+ray&actor=&year_from=Year&year_to=Year&genre[]=All

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:36 am

nevada wrote:Is someone brave enough to watch these Satyajit Ray movies?

http://putlocker.is/search/advanced_search.php?section=0&q=&director=satyajit+ray&actor=&year_from=Year&year_to=Year&genre[]=All

dunno if i am "brave" but i have watched most of his movies - i also bought a set of all shyam benegal movies but haven't completed them all yet.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 am

If you liked maqbool, I recommend, Omkaara(Othello) & Blue Umbrella. Blue umbrella based on Ruskin Bond story it is a very nice children's film.

Also check out Dibakar Banerjee's work. His Shanghai is a decent adaption of Z. Love, Sex Aur Dhoka is really good.

Anurag Kashyap's Black Friday, Dev-D & That girl in yellow boots are good. Gangs of Wasseypur part I was good, part II was really bad. But acting was very good in both parts. I like Nawazuddin Siddiqui, though I think he acts in too many films.

I like Sahib Biwi Aur Gangster's ending.

A lot of people liked Ship of Theseus. I didn't like it much. It was fabulously shot. I want to watch it on film if I can.

Life in a metro is part "The Apartment" & Part Bridget Jone's dairy.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:47 am

bw wrote:

dunno if i am "brave" but i have watched most of his movies - i also bought a set of all shyam benegal movies but haven't completed them all yet.
I read some where that Narsingh's character in Abhijan which was inspiration for Scorsese's Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver was inspired by Ghatak's Bimal of Ajantrik. We have a Ray retrospective happening here in Berkeley. I watched Aranyer Din Raatri again. Plan to watch Agantuk which happens to be my fav of Ray's.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:47 am

Thanks for the link, I can watch some films.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:08 am

Obnoxious wrote:
bw wrote:

I read some where that Narsingh's character in Abhijan which was inspiration for Scorsese's Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver was inspired by Ghatak's Bimal of Ajantrik. We have a Ray retrospective happening here in Berkeley. I watched Aranyer Din Raatri again. Plan to watch Agantuk which happens to be my fav of Ray's.

aranyen din ratri is my fav ray movie! you are lucky to have the time and access to all these great movies. my binge movie watching has really taken a backseat and shall be so for some more years i guess.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:31 pm

swapna wrote:

If a telugite said any good thing about a bollywood movie , max and "It" would've made some condescending and snooty posts about how they would never touch a hindi movie with a barge pole and such. They would've added some crap about ingratiation too. But if they like a hindi movie , then it is all good and we should appreciate their taste in good movies etc.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:46 pm

b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:

If a telugite said any good thing about a bollywood movie , max and "It" would've made some condescending and snooty posts about how they would never touch a hindi movie with a barge pole and such. They would've added some crap about ingratiation too. But if they like a hindi movie , then it is all good and we should appreciate their taste in good movies etc.

Lunch is NOT a bollywood movie. It is an independent Hindi film. Bollywood is the mainstream hindi cinema.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Obnoxious wrote:

Lunch is NOT a bollywood movie. It is an independent Hindi film. Bollywood is the mainstream hindi cinema.

Really?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:

1) Please to see the title of the thread.
2) lunchbox is produced by UTV Motion Pictures , a very bollywood name.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:57 pm

b_A wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:

Hey Doc. Ashok, did you post a review of this movie?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:46 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
b_A wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:

Not sure. I might have missed it if it didn't qualify for my snootiness threshold.
On another note , does anyone remember the fit that Max threw when Indo used Tabu's name for one of the cryptic clues?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:28 pm

b_A wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
b_A wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:

Not sure. I might have missed it if it didn't qualify for my snootiness threshold.
On another note , does anyone remember the fit that Max threw when Indo used Tabu's name for one of the cryptic clues?

i don't, but i believe you because one attempts to solve these things believing them to be english crosswords.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:30 pm

obnoxious -- short of buying the DVD from amazon, where does one watch the gangs of wasseyupur parts 1&2 in the US? they are not available on netflix streaming or as a regular netflix DVD.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:obnoxious -- short of buying the DVD from amazon, where does one watch the gangs of wasseyupur parts 1&2 in the US? they are not available on netflix streaming or as a regular netflix DVD.  

Are you serious? Unless you have moral compunctions - if you can't find it on Youtube then try the wild wild west known as Youku.

Gangs of Wasseypur 2012
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDM3MzkzMTQ4.html

Gangs of Wasseypur  Part 2
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDU2OTc1Mjky.html

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:41 pm

nevada -- it's a combination of moral compunctions and fear of getting infected from these seedy websites.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:31 pm

i watched omakara. still like maqbool better. omkara was good in parts, but it was too much in the style of the run of the mill bollywood movie. the actors in maqbool were more restrained and hence more menacing.  

also not bollywood, but another movie i enjoyed watching recently - kagemusha by kurosawa.  i think i would have thoroughly enjoyed watching this on the big screen. the cinematography is beautiful and really goes well with the massive sweep of the narrative.  kurosawa is not afraid to fill the movie with long silences. there is so much he does with expression and body language. my favorite scene in the movie is when the imposter of shingen tries to transform himself into shingen the warlord (who is now dead), and he asks the guards and pages how he is doing.  these guys who initially make fun of him, gradually stiffen and bow down before him because they are so convinced that he is shingen himself. not one sound uttered during the entire passage (not even music), yet so much conveyed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:30 am

Hellsangel wrote:
b_A wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:

Laughing  Laughing Very truely it is said that a lie repeated hundred times becomes the truth---or at least it is perceived as the truth . So even you have stated believing Rashmun's lie about me and b_A being the IDs of the same person....

Anyway , the name is not Ashok . I have told the real name in some thread---I forgot where....
No , it's not Ashraf as i claimed as a joke earlier .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:41 am

in fact you know my real name---

a quick search for my name on this forum revealed this---

https://such.forumotion.com/t23179-calling-doctor-ashish?highlight=ashish

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Watched Maqbool and Omkara over the weekend.
Between the two, Maqbool is better. It was a little annoying seeing Pankaj Kapoor trying to imitate Brando but overall the movie was good. 
Omkara is crap. Ajay Dumbgun got played like a piano throughout the movie. Could Saif Ali make it any more obvious that he is spinning lie after lie due to his jealousy? But hero Dumbgun can't figure it out until the very end. What a tool! 
I tried to watch Gangs of Wasseypur but gave up after a while. Just too many characters and kinda difficult to figure out who is killing who and why. I will try again starting from scratch and see if I can finish it.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:00 pm

nevada wrote:Watched Maqbool and Omkara over the weekend.
Between the two, Maqbool is better. It was a little annoying seeing Pankaj Kapoor trying to imitate Brando but overall the movie was good. 
Omkara is crap. Ajay Dumbgun got played like a piano throughout the movie. Could Saif Ali make it any more obvious that he is spinning lie after lie due to his jealousy? But hero Dumbgun can't figure it out until the very end. What a tool! 
I tried to watch Gangs of Wasseypur but gave up after a while. Just too many characters and kinda difficult to figure out who is killing who and why. I will try again starting from scratch and see if I can finish it.

spot on! the mumbling delivery was too overtly brandoish. but other than that the movie was good. looks like you had the same issues with omkara that i did. othello does get played in the original play, but i thought the original play was far more subtle than this explicit con job. the fellow who played iago (langda thyagi) was better than ajay devagan
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:34 pm

watched the lunch box. i loved the minimalist, no fuss plot line.  irfan khan was great as usual, but the woman in the movie is a solid talent too.  i had never heard of her, but she has an incredibly expressive face just right for this movie.  is kaur a sardarni last name?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 pm

All male Sardars have Singh and female sardars have kaur in their names. I loved Lunchbox. I've seen her another small budget film called the Peddlers. If you can watch tough films, I suggest "That girl in yellow boots".

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:10 pm

watched 'maqbool'. the director has no business calling this a macbeth 'adaptation'. the guy here is driven by love and not by ambition like macbeth was. it is a very loose, flawed adaptation, at best.

in short, a slightly toned down bollywood melodrama. father-son sentimental mush was a bit too much. why are two good actors reduced to providing comic relief? irrrrfan khan is a good actor.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:21 pm

bw wrote:watched 'maqbool'. the director has no business calling this a macbeth 'adaptation'. the guy here is driven by love and not by ambition like macbeth was. it is a very loose, flawed adaptation, at best.

in short, a slightly toned down bollywood melodrama. father-son sentimental mush was a bit too much. why are two good actors reduced to providing comic relief? irrrrfan khan is a good actor.

>>> I vaguely remember watching this and doesn't particularly stick out in mind as good work. In general, I am leery of Bollywood adaptations. I agree with you on Irrfan Khan. There was a show that ran for a few weeks on cable in which he plays a middle aged Bengali widower who has come to live with his son and american daughter-in-law. The premise of the show was therapy sessions with a specialist who helps his clients, Khan's character being one of them. He actually steals the show with his natural easy acting.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:watched 'maqbool'. the director has no business calling this a macbeth 'adaptation'. the guy here is driven by love and not by ambition like macbeth was. it is a very loose, flawed adaptation, at best.

>>> I vaguely remember watching this and doesn't particularly stick out in mind as good work. In general, I am leery of Bollywood adaptations. I agree with you on Irrfan Khan. There was a show that ran for a few weeks on cable in which he plays a middle aged Bengali widower who has come to live with his son and american daughter-in-law. The premise of the show was therapy sessions with a specialist who helps his clients, Khan's character being one of them. He actually steals the show with his natural easy acting.
Sessions?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Kris wrote:

from what i read of "omkara", it seems the director wanted to ensure commercial success with that one and made sure it had the right elements for that. not too inspired to watch it.

i picked up 'maqbool' from someone's place yesterday. as soon as i saw the DVD, i said "oh, i want to watch this, may i borrow it? do you have omkara too?". unfortunately, she didn't have that but the auntie of the house was so impressed by my sudden interest in and knowledge of bollywood movies that she handed me several more movies. i turned them down claiming lack of time but she insisted that i must watch "atithi tum kab jaoge?". said it is very funny. guess that will be my next movie.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next