isis  - why is islam not responsible? - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

isis - why is islam not responsible?

+7
Kris
rawemotions
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
michelle2
confuzzled dude
truthbetold
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

isis  - why is islam not responsible? - Page 2 Empty Re: isis - why is islam not responsible?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 am

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
>>>There are a couple of flaws in your premise:

1) that I support the dependence on Saudi oil--

in reality, this engagement is a runaway train which has taken a life of its own.

this is the essence of my problem with your line of argumentation. engagement with the saudis is written off as a runaway train and as "realpolitik" as you've been so cleverly dodging.  if you cannot get a movement against this going or even have the willingness to join existing movements against this by appealing to administration after democratically elected administration in your country (note: sorry about that usage bw), what chance do you have cajoling practitioners of an ideology in which you have had no say, and whose leaders you did not elect, who live in faraway places, into changing their ways?

>>>>My mission is not to change the Saudis think. I am not sure what I am dodging. American realpolitik is a reality, but it is not as though absent that, the Wahabis and other fundamentalist Islamic movements or Saudi Arabia will become enlightened. My responses to CD (and/or maybe you) is that the ideological problems of those cultures are independent of American involvement.

sure, i have no problems with that statement, but are you not interested in more practical matters such as trying to figure out how to take away their murderous tools and stop the people and the political systems that enable them? what you (you meaning not just personally you, but people who have a similar bent of mind and who use similar language) are dodging is the hard work of convincing american political leadership and congress into distancing ourselves from saudi arabia politically, and to convince them to use the congressional mandate that they already have to prevent the executive branch from ever entering another military conflict in that region.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

isis  - why is islam not responsible? - Page 2 Empty Re: isis - why is islam not responsible?

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:35 am

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:CD's basic point needs addressing if the folks on the other side care about not coming off as hypocrites and want to be viewed as clear eyed folks (I think kris in particular prides himself as belonging to this category). why does the west in general and the US in particular prop up, support and continue to do business with states like saudi arabia that sponsor and breed wahabbism? any further discussion on islamic terrorism will require a clear eyed acknowledgment of the american role in enabling it.

>>Oil and American realpolitik. No one has ever argued that the US (and by extension, the West) does not have ulterior motives. The point I am trying to address here is that with or without the US involvement, there is no stopping the middle east from going to pot, due to a cultural handicap in the area of self-questioning.
Here we go again trivializing west's role as realpolitik; How did these nomadic tribes with crazy ideologies became so sophisticated and powerful all of a sudden? Let us take the example of India and Pakistan , Pakistan never liked us, always had disagreements & fought 3 wars over Kashmir issue but something changed in mid 80s that prompted a shift in Pak's strategy since then instead of fighting war they started smuggling terrorists so called militants accomplished a lot more via these means,  India has been through ethnic cleansing similar to what's happening now in ME. What gave them this idea or funding, technical know how, arms and blueprint? And one would think that the west has learned a lesson from those events, have they? No they keep operating in same fashion enabling these crazies to cause mayhem by providing them with deadly weapons and needed operational training, why don't we accept that fact than trying to sweep it under the rug as realpolitik

Last edited by confuzzled dude on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

in reality, this engagement is a runaway train which has taken a life of its own.

this is the essence of my problem with your line of argumentation. engagement with the saudis is written off as a runaway train and as "realpolitik" as you've been so cleverly dodging.  if you cannot get a movement against this going or even have the willingness to join existing movements against this by appealing to administration after democratically elected administration in your country (note: sorry about that usage bw), what chance do you have cajoling practitioners of an ideology in which you have had no say, and whose leaders you did not elect, who live in faraway places, into changing their ways?

>>>>My mission is not to change the Saudis think. I am not sure what I am dodging. American realpolitik is a reality, but it is not as though absent that, the Wahabis and other fundamentalist Islamic movements or Saudi Arabia will become enlightened. My responses to CD (and/or maybe you) is that the ideological problems of those cultures are independent of American involvement.

sure, i have no problems with that statement, but are you not interested in more practical matters such as trying to figure out how to take away their murderous tools and stop the people and the political systems that enable them?
Ppl elected Obama so that there will be less american involvement in the middle east. You were a staunch supporter of Obama too. What are you doing to influence him and his govt to take away the murderous tools and stop the ppl and the political systems that enables the ones with the dangerous ideology?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 am

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

sure, i have no problems with that statement, but are you not interested in more practical matters such as trying to figure out how to take away their murderous tools and stop the people and the political systems that enable them?
Ppl elected Obama so that there will be less american involvement in the middle east. You were a staunch supporter of Obama too. What are you doing to influence him and his govt to take away the murderous tools and stop the ppl and the political systems that enables the ones with the dangerous ideology?

and we do have less involvement in the middle east, but these problems don't happen overnight and they certainly aren't going to be fixed overnight. i'd like obama to be far less engaged in the middle east, and i am much less sanguine about his foreign policy than i was in 2008, but the problems he is facing in that region certainly didn't start in 2008.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 am

truthbetold wrote:CD

"FYI one in four ISIS recruits are supposedly from the west; so much for blaming islamic countries."

This reminds me of the hindu fundamentalist triumphantly pointing that "Reddy christians do not marry SC christians".  

What they fail to recognize is that this is not a reflection on christian religion but a testament to how deep caste philosophy is dug in indian/hindu mind.  It may take generations to overcome such deep seated prejudices. 

Similarly, if throngs of western educated citizens of europe go to join ISIS , it is not a reflection on european soceity, it is more an indictment of deep rooted islamic malaise.
I think you're treading on dangerous waters wit this line of thinking and risking further alienating mainstream Muslims. The argument out forward is that many of these western born kids attracted to these terrorist groups are not religious in fact there are proofs that they bought books like Koran for dummies etc on their way

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:51 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

sure, i have no problems with that statement, but are you not interested in more practical matters such as trying to figure out how to take away their murderous tools and stop the people and the political systems that enable them? what you (you meaning not just personally you, but people who have a similar bent of mind and who use similar language) are dodging is the hard work of convincing american political leadership and congress into distancing ourselves from saudi arabia politically, and to convince them to use the congressional mandate that they already have to prevent the executive branch from ever entering another military conflict in that region.  
>>>here is the problem. The runaway train I referred is not one that is just circumscribed by American realpolitik. In a multipolar world with oil demand coming from various quarters, American policy is not sufficient to effect change in practical terms. You need buy-in from other parties often with conflicting interests and is some cases survival, realpolitik being the luxury of superpowerdom.  With regard to military involvement, I am opposed to it as much as possible simply for the reason that I am not optimistic that any change for the better will ever come about in that neighborhood.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Ppl elected Obama so that there will be less american involvement in the middle east. You were a staunch supporter of Obama too. What are you doing to influence him and his govt to take away the murderous tools and stop the ppl and the political systems that enables the ones with the dangerous ideology?

and we do have less involvement in the middle east, but these problems don't happen overnight and they certainly aren't going to be fixed overnight. i'd like obama to be far less engaged in the middle east, and i am much less sanguine about his foreign policy than i was in 2008, but the problems he is facing in that region certainly didn't start in 2008.  
Of course, the problems didn't start in 2008. They were always there. What do you want Obama to do now to set things right and what are you doing to influence him and his govt?

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 am

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

What has hinduism's faults got to do with islam? 
Nothing.
truthbetold wrote:
If your defense is all religions are the same, I already answered it.  Go read it.
Okay I will take my statement about the influence of petrodollars on Hinduism back but you do see that RSS types have already ratcheted up their noise on Hindutva, Hindu etc., Imagine if they get financial support in addition to the power.
Last I checked Indian GDP is in trillions.  More than any gulf state.  RSS got all the money it can ever need. What do you think  rss can or will do with the money?
Is Indian govt sponsoring 100s of millions of dollars to them every year to promulgate Hindutva or are you saying that RSS is a already a rich entity worth 100s of millions?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

"FYI one in four ISIS recruits are supposedly from the west; so much for blaming islamic countries."

This reminds me of the hindu fundamentalist triumphantly pointing that "Reddy christians do not marry SC christians".  

What they fail to recognize is that this is not a reflection on christian religion but a testament to how deep caste philosophy is dug in indian/hindu mind.  It may take generations to overcome such deep seated prejudices. 

Similarly, if throngs of western educated citizens of europe go to join ISIS , it is not a reflection on european soceity, it is more an indictment of deep rooted islamic malaise.
I think you're treading on dangerous waters wit this line of thinking and risking further alienating mainstream Muslims. The argument out forward is that many of these western born kids attracted to these terrorist groups are not religious in fact there are proofs that they bought books like Koran for dummies etc on their way

this is the mindset of apologistans the world over. fragile muslim psyche will be damaged if the world questions them so let us blame their problems on rest of the world instead. western kids...hahaha@obfuscation. these fighters are kids raised in muslim households that are influenced by their parents, their friends, their imams and their co-religionist propaganda. any amount of douchemunesque misdirection will not hide this fact

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:it's funny to read someone tut tuts at crassness of the west in wanting oil but would like to wash their hands off genocide that's killed millions of innocents. compassion of the liberals knows no bounds indeed. he would've said the same during ww2

what made the allied powers engage with hitler wasn't compassion for the jews but his territorial ambitions. he murdered and maimed millions before anyone took notice. is it possible for you to engage in any debate without resorting to your tired old liberals v conservative labels? not all the world's problems are neatly packaged into american political labels.

yeah whatever, man. there were enough people like you that said dont get involved in ww2, let the jerries kill the frogs and kikes, it's a self contained mess in europe, we in america are immune to it. same logic you're using here. it doesnt matter what reason US had to intervene, the point is it did and the world is a much better place for it.

the moment there's a shooting somewhere you'll be jumping up and down waving your political labels all over the place with your annoying hahahas but hate it when it's not convenient for you. get a mirror when bleating around your favorite word "hypocrisy".

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

this is the mindset of apologistans the world over. fragile muslim psyche will be damaged if the world questions them so let us blame their problems on rest of the world instead. western kids...hahaha@obfuscation. these fighters are kids raised in muslim households that are influenced by their parents, their friends, their imams and their co-religionist propaganda. any amount of douchemunesque misdirection will not hide this fact
That's right let's cheer for our mullahs that keep preaching us that Kurds and Syrian rebels are our friends and capable, we should arm them and all that hogwash; of course that by no means is douchemuneque rather very noble deed

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:29 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

???? so your appeasement for the last 100 years have only led to bombs and blowing up people.

you know what... let them be alienated... let us see what they would do... Here is a little secret... They will shut their mouth and start behaving. If they do, then you just give them what they think is their sacred duty - of giving their lives to Allah.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

????  so your appeasement for the last 100 years have only led to bombs and blowing up people.

you know what... let them be alienated... let us see what they would do... Here is a little secret... They will shut their mouth and start behaving. If they do, then you just give them what they think is their sacred duty - of giving their lives to Allah.
You anger is misdirected you're like an unguided missile which is firing at wrong target.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:it's funny to read someone tut tuts at crassness of the west in wanting oil but would like to wash their hands off genocide that's killed millions of innocents. compassion of the liberals knows no bounds indeed. he would've said the same during ww2

what made the allied powers engage with hitler wasn't compassion for the jews but his territorial ambitions. he murdered and maimed millions before anyone took notice. is it possible for you to engage in any debate without resorting to your tired old liberals v conservative labels? not all the world's problems are neatly packaged into american political labels.

yeah whatever, man. there were enough people like you that said dont get involved in ww2, let the jerries kill the frogs and kikes, it's a self contained mess in europe, we in america are immune to it. same logic you're using here. it doesnt matter what reason US had to intervene, the point is it did and the world is a much better place for it.

the moment there's a shooting somewhere you'll be jumping up and down waving your political labels all over the place with your annoying hahahas but hate it when it's not convenient for you. get a mirror when bleating around your favorite word "hypocrisy".

i don't know what frogs and kikes mean, but what i said is factual and i didn't mean just the US, but also the first allied powers to get engaged. and i don't think anyone deliberately wished ill on the jews. it's just simple human nature to pay attention only when personally discomfited. empathy is rare.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Kris wrote:

2) my opposition to Islamic terrorism is  purely on the basis of how it affects America or the west

- it is a more fundamental dislike than that; otherwise, I wouldn't be "railing" against Islamic doings in India or Bali or Algeria or Mughal atrocities when America did not exist. My interactions with CD here have to do with the whitewashing of Islamic history. My comments about the West in that context pertain to the naivete of the West in buying off on a narrative that rings very hollow or duplicitous outright.
I'm afraid this not very different than the attempts to whitewash American role in fostering militant culture (and looking the other way when their allies engage in genocide) as paramount to save the world issues.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i don't know what frogs and kikes mean, but what i said is factual and i didn't mean just the US, but also the first allied powers to get engaged.  and i don't think anyone deliberately wished ill on the jews. it's just simple human nature to pay attention only when personally discomfited. empathy is rare.
Exactly lets not forget recent events in Rwanda, Sudan. Wonder why War Hawks don't have much of an opinion on these.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

????  so your appeasement for the last 100 years have only led to bombs and blowing up people.

You anger is misdirected you're like an unguided missile which is firing at wrong target.

Let us see:

I am bad...and biased...ok
TBT is bad and biased..ok
Smartha is bad and biased...ok
Propa is bad and biased...ok
b_a is bad and biased....ok

But, Kris...the model SuCHer, Indo - the Chaddi but level-headed are all bad too ?

So CD is good and unbiased..
Max is good and unbiased..
Swap-na is good and unbiased..

Yeah...rite... I rest my case.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:22 pm

So much Islamic talk/discussion, ad-sense is picking this ad.
isis  - why is islam not responsible? - Page 2 4125954044484704262

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2