a q on deepavali Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a q on deepavali

+6
bw
SomeProfile
goodcitizn
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
pravalika nanda
10 posters

Go down

a q on deepavali Empty a q on deepavali

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:15 am

so apparently recently all the hindus were celebrating deepavali.
and i got to thinking about what we are celebrating.
as far as i know, deepavali is to celebrate rama and seethe returning home. and i have issues with this.
as far as i know seethe is from Nepal and i know most of the modern day nepalis look like indo-Chinese people/chindians but back then in ram's times the fact is that part of the world was inhabited by your average Tibetan and technically Tibet is a part of china.

so it makes me hopping mad to think that this stupid rama had severe yellow fever and as a result the entire indian army including monkeys and squirrles were building that stupid bridge to lanka when they could've used pushpaka vimanams or drones or realistically speaking even borrowed some ships from the tamils (no, they weren't always Brahmins studying for the IIT exam and scoring hot chicks, they used to wear langotis and go fishing) or malayalis.

and all this for some woman who looks like connie chung.

i know, i know you guys have been fooled into thinking that seethe looks like nayanthara but it's not true. you know how jesus looks Caucasian in the US and very dark in India or you know how krsna looks dark in tamil nadu and the iskcon people have him looking like an anorexic norseman? if you guys look at their pics carefully you will see that they are so bigoted that they make the cow look like a horse also!

i mean do we really have to celebrate ram and seethei? as an indian woman i do not see connie chung-seethe as my role model. i don't want hundreds of millions of hindus bursting crackers every year for that Mongolian or for the fellow who was married to that mongolian. why are we doing this?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

a q on deepavali Empty Re: a q on deepavali

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:22 am

pravalika nanda wrote:so apparently recently all the hindus were celebrating deepavali.

i mean do we really have to celebrate ram and seethei? as an indian woman i do not see connie chung-seethe as my role model. i don't want hundreds of millions of hindus bursting crackers every year for that Mongolian or for the fellow who was married to that mongolian. why are we doing this?

Think you should eat some dark chocolates.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:22 am

many sentences in the post sent me speechless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:many sentences in the post sent me speechless.

It is obvious that Bittu wrote the above sentence using BK id.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:16 pm

too many run-on sentences. OP is ESL evidently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:38 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:as far as i know, deepavali is to celebrate rama and seethe returning home. and i have issues with this.
as far as i know seethe is from Nepal and i know most of the modern day nepalis look like indo-Chinese people/chindians 

*** you are absolutely right. buddha was also chinindian. we still have chinindians in INDIA -- in west bengal where i live and in assam, himachal, uttarakhand, kumaoun and further NE. what is your problem? 

back then in ram's times the fact is that part of the world was inhabited by your average Tibetan and technically Tibet is a part of china.

*** this is wrong. tibet, as per whatever records available, was inhabited by indians. (tibetan script matches indian devanagari script.) so the best bet is that it was unpopulated back then.

so it makes me hopping mad to think that this stupid rama had severe yellow fever and as a result the entire indian army including monkeys and squirrles were building that stupid bridge to lanka when they could've used pushpaka vimanams or drones or realistically speaking even borrowed some ships from the tamils (no, they weren't always Brahmins studying for the IIT exam and scoring hot chicks, they used to wear langotis and go fishing) or malayalis.

**** i am sorry but seetha was not dravidian looking as you would imagine a dravidian looking person to be? ff can help you here to imagine how a dravidian would look like but i am confident you have a more vivid imagination. would it help if i can rewrite history to make rama and seetha look aryan? i am resourceful. let me know. 

i know, i know you guys have been fooled into thinking that seethe looks like nayanthara but it's not true. you know how jesus looks Caucasian in the US and very dark in India or you know how krsna looks dark in tamil nadu and the iskcon people have him looking like an anorexic norseman? if you guys look at their pics carefully you will see that they are so bigoted that they make the cow look like a horse also!

*** IRRELEVANT!

**** are you racist? 

see **** above

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:02 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:so apparently recently all the hindus were celebrating deepavali.

More likely, the Nepalis were all Indian-looking until more recently. The Chinese were locked up in the Himalayas and the only was they could travel is westward through the plains. Hindus - that too - in old days were so race conscious there is no way a desi would have married a Chinki. Remember Chinkus accepted Budhism and Toism and not the other way around.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:05 pm

This is a nice troll Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:17 pm

gotta love those hasians. demure, slender figured, tight mmm mmm mmm

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:38 pm

as far as i know, deepavali is to celebrate rama and seethe returning home. and i have issues with this.
as far as i know seethe is from Nepal and i know most of the modern day nepalis look like indo-Chinese people/chindians but back then in ram's times the fact is that part of the world was inhabited by your average Tibetan and technically Tibet is a part of china.

You are right. Sita was born in Nepal speaking Nepalese. Rama broke her will, imposed Hindi on her and whisked her away into the forest. Ravana rescued her from this atrocious language imposition and took her to Kayal Vizhi haven. The rest is history.

Last edited by goodcitizn on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

More likely, the Nepalis were all Indian-looking until more recently. The Chinese were locked up in the Himalayas and the only was they could travel is westward through the plains. Hindus - that too - in old days were so race conscious there is no way a desi would have married a Chinki.  Remember Chinkus accepted Budhism and Toism and not the other way around.

Chinese didn't invent Taoism on their own? They accepted it from Indians?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Fact: Chinese learnt Kungfu from Indians. That too from a South Indian!

Correction: From a Southern Indian!

Correction to correction: From a Tamilian.

Final correction: From a Tamizhan.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:42 pm

SomeProfile wrote:Fact: Chinese learnt Kungfu from Indians. That too from a South Indian!

Final, final correction: Thamizhan! Smile

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:22 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:Fact: Chinese learnt Kungfu from Indians. That too from a South Indian!

sexist!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:39 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

sexist!
LOL! Here's a real sexist song.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:49 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

sexist!
LOL! Here's a real sexist song.

i have listened to this one - isn't that sathyaraj? i used to like him once upon a time if it is him.

i got a free invite to go wach "kathi", some deepavali release. i turned it down. i used to watch a lot of tamil movies back when i was in india but i can't imagine watching one now unless it comes highly recommended by reliable people.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:57 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

sexist!
LOL! Here's a real sexist song

i have listened to this one - isn't that sathyaraj? i used to like him once upon a time if it is him.

i got a free invite to go wach "kathi", some deepavali release. i turned it down. i used to watch a lot of tamil movies back when i was in india but i can't imagine watching one now unless it comes highly recommended by reliable people.
Yes, it is. The last Tamil movie I liked was MOZHI.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:30 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

shall try to get hold of it. the last indian movie i enjoyed was "the lunchbox". have you watched that one?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:53 pm

More likely, the Nepalis were all Indian-looking until more recently. The Chinese were locked up in the Himalayas and the only was they could travel is westward through the plains. Hindus - that too - in old days were so race conscious there is no way a desi would have married a Chinki.  Remember Chinkus accepted Budhism and Toism and not the other way around.
have you ever met any indinas uppili? take a good look at one, we're proof that the hindus were not race-conscious.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Kinnera wrote:This is a nice troll Smile

this ain't no troll, baby doll. you should be ashamed of yourself, after reading whatever books you've been reading, I expected a strong answer.

I posed a very valid concern. I'm not comfortable celebrating and worshipping Aung San See Tai.
Five hundred years down the road, people will have slokalu for Sonia. your progeny will be chanting her name. Sonia suprabhatam, Sonia dhandakam. how do you like that?
I think we need to stop worshipping foreign men and women.

Kinny-amma, find me someone telugu.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:33 pm

And you claim to be a telugu. hahaha.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:58 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

You are right. Sita was born in Nepal speaking Nepalese. Rama broke her will, imposed Hindi on her and whisked her away into the forest. Ravana rescued her from this atrocious language imposition and took her to Kayal Vizhi haven. The rest is history.

** And if Ram Biren Desai had made the effort to learn some thamizh and asked the tamils to assist him in the hunt for Aung San See Tai, he would not have had to waste all that time throwing pebbles into the water, trying to build a bridge to lanka, he could've kayaked there. But to his credit, Desai did learn squirrel and monkey rather quickly and fluently.

** Task for you, goodcitizen: Did Rama tip all the monekys and squirrels or did he just stroke them on the back and leave some fingerprints behind? Cuz the latter sounds like an A-mazing idea.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi Pravalika,

As you yourself wrote, Indians, in ancient times, were not really race conscious. They appreciated dark men (Rama, Krshna) and dark women (Draupadi). Beauty was more to do with personality and outlook. If they were after physical attributes, they wrote that a person with nice eyes and nose (కను ముక్కు తీరు) was attractive. 

Did Sita look like a Tibetan?  I don't think so. In ancient times, Nepalese in the plains, most likely looked like Biharis. The mountain range made it hard for Nepalese to move North and Tibetans, South. In fact, Tibet wasn't really in that much of a contact with India until the 8th century AD (when Buddhism entered Tibet). Bon, the ancient Tibetan culture, was quite alien to Indian customs and traditions. It absorbed Indian ways only after the 8th century. I don't know if the old books describe Sita as a beauty like Draupadi. Rama was certainly described as a tall, handsome and well mannered person.

Coming to Deepaavali celebrations, I think, the main theme - good winning over evil - is common to all parts of India. The other thing that is common is the pooja to Lakshmi. 

Good winning over evil:  the stories are different in different parts but the theme is the same. October-November is a time when, in the Northern hemisphere, the days become shorter and it becomes dark early in the evening. During these months, different cultures in the world have celebrations of light and themes related to eradication of darkness (and demons, etc.). So, may be, Deepaavali is one such celebration. Just imagine having no electricity and depending on small lamps while believing that there are demons lurking around in the dark!

Regards.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Hi Pravalika,

As you yourself wrote, Indians, in ancient times, were not really race conscious. They appreciated dark men (Rama, Krshna) and dark women (Draupadi). Beauty was more to do with personality and outlook. If they were after physical attributes, they wrote that a person with nice eyes and nose (కను ముక్కు తీరు) was attractive. 

Did Sita look like a Tibetan?  I don't think so. In ancient times, Nepalese in the plains, most likely looked like Biharis. The mountain range made it hard for Nepalese to move North and Tibetans, South. In fact, Tibet wasn't really in that much of a contact with India until the 8th century AD (when Buddhism entered Tibet).
** I just googled, and the people who inhabited Nepal in ancient times were the tibeto-burmese.
** Seetha was definitely not your run-of-the-mill Indian origin person, she definitely is of foreign origin. And if that is the case, she has no place in the hindu pantheon of goddesses. What are your thoughts on the latter statement?
**Thank you for writing, this really does bother me.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:21 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

** I just googled, and the people who inhabited Nepal in ancient times were the tibeto-burmese.
** Seetha was definitely not your run-of-the-mill Indian origin person, she definitely is of foreign origin. And if that is the case, she has no place in the hindu pantheon of goddesses. What are your thoughts on the latter statement?
That is interesting. May be, she looked more like an Indo-Tibetan, then. Still, if she is considered attractive, it shows the lack of racial bias in ancient India. 

I don't know if Sita was considered a Goddess in her era. For all you know, both Rama and Sita were most likely thought of as just good human beings. As with other stories, may be, she became important gradually. Meera, while she lived, wasn't treated well by the mainstream.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

That is interesting. May be, she looked more like an Indo-Tibetan, then. Still, if she is considered attractive, it shows the lack of racial bias in ancient India. 

I don't know if Sita was considered a Goddess in her era. For all you know, both Rama and Sita were most likely thought of as just good human beings. As with other stories, may be, she became important gradually. Meera, while she lived, wasn't treated well by the mainstream.

but aandAL of thiruppAvai fame, was.
On draupadhi , either I read it here or elsewhere that she 's most likely to be a Mongolian/Tibetan where polyandry was prevalent then and in some remote places, it still is; and that pandavas were the brutal, barbarians raised in the bushes vis-a-vis the Kauravas who ruled a well structured and ordered society.
And of course it's always the winner writes the book, where the pandavas distorted history.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:54 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:This is a nice troll Smile

this ain't no troll, baby doll. you should be ashamed of yourself, after reading whatever books you've been reading, I expected a strong answer.

I posed a very valid concern. I'm not comfortable celebrating and worshipping Aung San See Tai.
Five hundred years down the road, people will have slokalu for Sonia. your progeny will be chanting her name. Sonia suprabhatam, Sonia dhandakam. how do you like that?
I think we need to stop worshipping foreign men and women.

Kinny-amma, find me someone telugu.
Sita di ae race ayite enti pravu? why shld it matter? Looks like ppl in those days are less racist than ppl of the current times.

find you someone telugu? unnaruga ikkada forum lo baalu haalu.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

shall try to get hold of it. the last indian movie i enjoyed was "the lunchbox". have you watched that one?

Mozhi is a classic. Please see it. I plan to be in India in January at which time I'll look for The Lunchbox.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 am

.. i don't want hundreds of millions of hindus bursting crackers every year for that Mongolian or for the fellow who was married to that mongolian. why are we doing this?
>>>I thought we have done that for centuries for the food, but if this has something to do with the Mongolian race, didn't the Chinese invent firecrackers? Maybe we are thanking them by buying the product. Smile

P.S. I don't think I have seen Sita depicted as an Asian in India. Not that there is anything wrong with that..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:17 am

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Mozhi is a classic. Please see it. I plan to be in India in January at which time I'll look for The Lunchbox.

be warned, it is a hindikaaran movie. interestingly, i don't recall now if the lines were all in hindi. i am so used to reading the subtitles even when watching english movies that the audio is almost irrelevant. i feel lost without the subtitles.

shall get hold of mozhi soon and give you my feedback.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:24 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

** And if Ram Biren Desai had made the effort to learn some thamizh and asked the tamils to assist him in the hunt for Aung San See Tai, he would not have had to waste all that time throwing pebbles into the water, trying to build a bridge to lanka, he could've kayaked there. But to his credit, Desai did learn squirrel and monkey rather quickly and fluently.

** Task for you, goodcitizen: Did Rama tip all the monekys and squirrels or did he just stroke them on the back and leave some fingerprints behind? Cuz the latter sounds like an A-mazing idea.

Every religion has outlandish and far-fetched stories like Jesus walking on water, Moses parting the sea, and Allah supplying virgins as a bonus for killing infidels so why pick on the poor squirrel that received three stripes for helping Rama?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:29 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

be warned, it is a hindikaaran movie. interestingly, i don't recall now if the lines were all in hindi. i am so used to reading the subtitles even when watching english movies that the audio is almost irrelevant. i feel lost without the subtitles.

If the movie is in English, I'll watch it. Or, at least if it has English subtitles. Since you seemed to have enjoyed it, I'll try to see it.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Good for you... Mozhi has subtitles in sign language - to help you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

tamil movies are alright without subtitles, uppiliji. i don't remember what's the last one i watched.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:49 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Why are you giving her the story line, Saamiyaar? Let her watch it.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:57 am

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

grr@uppili. you are like my older son whose only interest in any movie is to torture his younger brother by threatening to reveal the ending.

hope this isn't another "anjali". i hated that movie.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:03 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

grr@uppili. you are like my older son whose only interest in any movie is to torture his younger brother by threatening to reveal the ending.

hope this isn't another "anjali". i hated that movie.

I didn't care much for Anjali either. This movie is different.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:28 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:gotta love those hasians. demure, slender figured, tight mmm mmm mmm
that's what ravana said, baava.

maybe you and i can get together to write a revised ramyana. let me send you a note.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:37 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:gotta love those hasians. demure, slender figured, tight mmm mmm mmm

maybe you and i can get together to write a revised ramyana. let me send you a note.

ok...time for another scandal...Gossipers please take note...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:48 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

sure..."to revise ramayana". will have to be january coz am going to india part of nov and all of dec

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

I'm fairly sure Aung San See Tai was the Sonia Gandhi of her day. She must've been popular then and they probably had temples for her even when she was alive as she was royalty.

DO you agree that there is a good chance that SG is one day going to be a goddess several hindus will worship?

Getting back to Seetha: I'll bet Rambhai  was a penniless loser and he had his eye on Lanka cuz Ravana had appropriated all of Kubera's wealth. Seetha was like the WMD, they just probably claimed that she was molested etc and taken off to Lanka so that he had an excuse to follow and invade. This also explains why in the Ramayana there are no good stories of alliances with local chieftains/tamils/malyalis etc in the war against Ravana. This guy was the pilferer, he was upto no good, so the locals did not support him. So after he looted Lanka he returned with Seetha. Why? Cuz he knew they had colluded together in this and she was never kidnapped in the first place. And when questioned everyone claims that she was with the the Fire God. Yeah, really? So then if Ravan did not kidnap this Chinese woman then Rama should return Ravana's stuff to him and kick the fire god's arse. Well, none of this stuff happens.

How can you sleep at night?

NOw can you tell the story of the Ramayana to your kids and grandkids with joy or pride? Or will you like me, feel despair and cry a lot?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:31 pm

lol at least spare ram and sita from conspiracy theories.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down