Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition

+3
nevada
bw
confuzzled dude
7 posters

Go down

Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition Empty Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition

Post by nevada Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:04 am

I hope he can recover from this.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/abc-news-phil-hughes-tweet-causes-uproar-20141125-11tnwu.html

Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition 1416926628859

ABC News' Twitter account has been bombarded by outraged followers after the national broadcaster tweeted that Cricket NSW "could not confirm if Phil Hughes was alive when he left the SCG".

The South Australia batsman had been struck on the head by a bouncer during a Sheffield Shield clash at the SCG on Tuesday.

He has been taken to hospital in a critical condition.

Twitter followers branded the tweet as "stupid", "unnecessary", "horrible journalism", "disgusting", "poor form", "hugely irresponsible" and "a disgrace".

nevada

Back to top Go down

Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition Empty Re: Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:44 am

He wasn't wearing helmet?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition Empty Re: Phil Hughes hit on the head, in critical condition

Post by nevada Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:20 pm

He was, but looks like he was hit on the temple. I think that tweet is blunt but expresses the worst fear about this incident.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:20 am

Cricket Australia has confirmed his death. 25 years old and no more - very sad.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:29 am

this is shocking. i haven't watched him much but i vaguely recall a good innings he played when the aussies toured south africa (the last test series i watched).

what a tragic end to such a young cricketer.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:34 am

oh, how terrible this must be for the bowler!

raman lamba died when he was hit on the head when fielding at forward short leg. he wasn't wearing a helmet though.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 am

Should the Indian team just concede the Gabba test match without playing? Facing the blood thirsty Johnson at the Gabba seems like a dangerous thing to do.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:02 am

Life is short. Make the most of it. Crazy things happen and can happen to anyone, anywhere.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:05 am

He was wearing the helmet. I watched the video. He turned around in shying away from the ball and I think the ball found the spot behind the ear.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:09 am

They should play the test and call it off after a couple days.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:14 am

It is reported that Phil hughes was wearling a helmet lite (light and not as safe as one could wear). 

Last time I remembered anyone risking their life for India on cricketing ground, it is Anshuman Gaekwad  facing fearsome WI foursome around 1983.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am

I wonder if the helmet usage has led to some recklessness on the part of batsmen. Gavaskar played his entire career facing up to probably the highest quality fast bowling there ever was, without getting hit once and that too without a helmet.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:26 am

gosh! almost my older's age and spot dead. this is horrible X 100. someone should be booked for this. if no culprit is found then either bouncers or cricket should be banned! who will protect the short leg and silly point fielders? ban them!

i'm seriously going to consider stopping my kids from continuing polo!

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I wonder if the helmet usage has led to some recklessness on the part of batsmen. Gavaskar played his entire career facing up to probably the highest quality fast bowling there ever was, without getting hit once and that too without a helmet.

Mohinder Amarnath and Gaekwad were two guys who were famous for taking body blows continuously against the Windies battery to protect their wickets (they were not technically as strong as Gavaskar or Vishy, but had lots of courage).

Mohinder was hit once on the head fielding at short square leg. He was in hospital and the doctor said his thick flock of hair probably cushioned the blow to his head. These two guys had bumps all over their bodies after every innings.

John Lever vs. Lance Cairns....Lance collapsed (just like Hughes) but survived.

Helmet and Holding/Lillie/Roberts/Daniel/Gardener/Pollock/Proctor are the reasons why Gavaskar was a vastly superior batsman than Tendulkar considering he had no quality dometic fast bowler to practice at normal times.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I wonder if the helmet usage has led to some recklessness on the part of batsmen. Gavaskar played his entire career facing up to probably the highest quality fast bowling there ever was, without getting hit once and that too without a helmet.

Mohinder Amarnath and Gaekwad were two guys who were famous for taking body blows continuously against the Windies battery to protect their wickets (they were not technically as strong as Gavaskar or Vishy, but had lots of courage).

Mohinder was hit once on the head fielding at short square leg. He was in hospital and the doctor said his thick flock of hair probably cushioned the blow to his head.  These two guys had bumps all over their bodies after every innings.

John Lever vs. Lance Cairns....Lance collapsed (just like Hughes) but survived.  

Helmet and Holding/Lillie/Roberts/Daniel/Gardener/Pollock/Proctor are the reasons why Gavaskar was a vastly superior batsman than Tendulkar  considering he had no quality dometic fast bowler to practice at normal times.

ban cricket. ban polo. make the world a safer place.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:12 pm

I agree. The technique in batting is gone. Dravid was the last man playing with technique. Now batsmen hold bat like extension to their arm, swatting the ball... or something. No art in strokes. The batsmen either feel arrogant or too comfortable leaving the bouncer. Technically sound batsmen never left their eyes of the ball.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:18 pm

He went for the bouncer, played and missed completely. He had turned his body and head in the stroke and ball found back of his ear after he missed the stroke.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:59 pm

southindian wrote:I agree. The technique in batting is gone. Dravid was the last man playing with technique. Now batsmen hold bat like extension to their arm, swatting the ball... or something. No art in strokes. The batsmen either feel arrogant or too comfortable  leaving the bouncer. Technically sound batsmen never left their eyes of the ball.
really.  So when kohli, pujara and rahane hit a cover drive, it is somehow inferior to the cover drive of a dravid or laxman?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:17 pm

TBT, Don't know. Games are fixed these days and so could be those cover drives by players today. I have lost pleasure of watching cricket.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:36 pm

BCCI is the richest cricket body. A cricketers playing years have lessoned. Burnout has become more.

Indian players and officials have their hands in the money jar.

Integrity has gone from Cricket. I don't trust any crickter now.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:46 pm

"I have lost pleasure of watching cricket."

If that is how you feel you have lot of company. But Murali vijay, pujara, and rahane are all decent test batsmen.  Kohli showed he has the ability to build a long test innings. Shikar dhawan showed some ability.  IPL may have pushed the likes of raina and jadeja into limelight.  Overall we got to give these young people little more credit.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Hughes was wearing a helmet but was struck on the unprotected area at the back of his neck. That area could be covered, but only by restricting movement to the point where it would be dangerous in other ways.

“We wouldn’t want anyone wearing a helmet designed to the new standards to think that they were invulnerable. A cricket ball is a hard and potentially dangerous object, whatever protection you are wearing.”

BAN CRICKET TILL THE GAME IS DECLARED SAFE. 

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:48 pm

tingu wrote:

Hughes was wearing a helmet but was struck on the unprotected area at the back of his neck. That area could be covered, but only by restricting movement to the point where it would be dangerous in other ways.

“We wouldn’t want anyone wearing a helmet designed to the new standards to think that they were invulnerable. A cricket ball is a hard and potentially dangerous object, whatever protection you are wearing.”

BAN CRICKET TILL THE GAME IS DECLARED SAFE. 

Agreed. Cricket is a batsman dominated game where flat pitches, super heavy, super powerful bats, and shortened boundaries have reduced bowlers to ball boy status. The short ball is one of the few weapons they have to keep the batsmen in check. For a batsman there is no limit on the number of sixers he can hit in an over but the bowler is restricted in the number of bouncers bowled per over.If bowlers bowled short all the time, all hell would break loose. To make sure that cricket doesn't continue as a one sided fraud, I propose a few changes:
1. I would ban the short ball altogether,
2. But also ban sixers to stop mindless ball bashers from dominating the game. 
3. If the ball clears the boundary, then penalize the batsman 6 runs. 3 strikes and you are out. 
4. To reward placement and shotmaking - if you can score consecutive boundaries, then the 2nd one onwards should count as 6. 
5. Also, similar to baseball, runs scored in third man region should not count. Batsmen throwing the bat at the ball and benefiting from edges has to stop.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down