american tv... Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

american tv...

+2
Appalamma
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

american tv... Empty american tv...

Post by bw Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:44 pm

...has mastered the art of taking a perfectly wonderful show from across the pond and ruining it.

'house of cards' was one and now, 'forbrydelson'.

sorry, max! sofie gråbøl is light-years ahead of mireille enos, imo.

of course, it is not the actors' fault that veena sud decided to make a mess of the show. i watched the whole danish version of season 1 on netflix UK after completing the amercican one (two seasons) and couldn't help wonder why they had to do all that they did with the american version. the pilot of the american version was promising but after that, it quickly went downhill. maybe the fact that they wanted to take a different storyline from the original contributed to it. the danish one is a lot more dark and the characters, more believable. the american one had the typical slick feel of a hollywood thriller.

i will finish the three seasons of the danish one but am not going to bother anymore with linden and the unbearable holder.

bw

Back to top Go down

american tv... Empty Re: american tv...

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:14 pm

bw wrote:...has mastered the art of taking a perfectly wonderful show from across the pond and ruining it.

of course, it is not the actors' fault that veena sud decided to make a mess of the show. i watched the whole danish version of season 1 on netflix UK after completing the amercican one (two seasons) and couldn't help wonder why they had to do all that they did with the american version. the pilot of the american version was promising but after that, it quickly went downhill. maybe the fact that they wanted to take a different storyline from the original contributed to it. the danish one is a lot more dark and the characters, more believable. the american one had the typical slick feel of a hollywood thriller.

i will finish the three seasons of the danish one but am not going to bother anymore with linden and the unbearable holder.

you must allow for the slight possibility that you have an inherent allergy to anything american and judge it much more harshly than anything else. i always take your review of americana with a small pinch of salt.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:...has mastered the art of taking a perfectly wonderful show from across the pond and ruining it.

you must allow for the slight possibility that you have an inherent allergy to anything american and judge it much more harshly than anything else. i always take your review of americana with a small pinch of salt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/arts/television/comparing-the-killing-to-the-show-forbrydelsen.html

i liked twin peaks, breaking bad, sopranos etc. i don't think i am wrong on this one. watch the danish one fully if you can and give me your opinion.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 pm

ok - am not alone.

Attempts to wed the two series even more tightly—Sud went so far as to draft Forbrydelsen’s Gråbøl in a cameo as a Seattle prosecutor in the second season opener—have only served to make it even more apparent just how wrong The Killing has gone: any sense of the mystery, brilliance, or drama of the original has been washed away in the torrential rain that envelops nearly every scene of the American version. Ultimately, Linden may wear the same sweater as Lund, but, as interpreted by the AMC show, she’s not fit to walk in her shoes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/14/the-killing-how-amc-s-adaptation-of-forbrydelsen-went-wrong.html

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 pm

let me check out the danish one. the problem is that i know the broad story lines even if there are differences.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:let me check out the danish one. the problem is that i know the broad story lines even if there are differences.

it is quite different and watching one doesn't really affect the viewing experience/suspense of the other, as i found out. that one also has some melodrama.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:41 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:let me check out the danish one. the problem is that i know the broad story lines even if there are differences.

it is quite different and watching one doesn't really affect the viewing experience/suspense of the other, as i found out. that one also has some melodrama.

they've very cleverly made it not possible to watch the danish original through any legit means in the US. but in the process of looking for it i found an excellent swedish crime serial called wallander. unfortunately netflix has only season 2, but it appears it was remade in english by the beeb starring kenneth branagh in the title role. it's in english, but based in sweden. i watched the first two episodes of season 1. just fantastic! if i find the season 1 original, i'd rather watch that, but the beeb's production is very well made.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 pm

There was a discussion about Wallander a while back. You probably missed it.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Hellsangel wrote:There was a discussion about Wallander a while back. You probably missed it.

probably.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

they've very cleverly made it not possible to watch the danish original through any legit means in the US.  but in the process of looking for it i found an excellent swedish crime serial called wallander. unfortunately netflix has only season 2, but it appears it was remade in english by the beeb starring kenneth branagh in the title role. it's in english, but based in sweden.  i watched the first two episodes of season 1. just fantastic! if i find the season 1 original, i'd rather watch that, but the beeb's production is very well made.

i have watched a couple of episodes of wallander, the original one, but didn't get around to watching it all. yes, it is very good.  i have heard that the BBC version is also very good.

i am considering watching "the bridge", another nordic noir, after completing 'forbrydelson'.  i believe it has been remade both in the US and the UK.

Last edited by bw on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:55 pm

i only knew of kenneth branagh as a shakespearean actor. good to see him in something different.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:56 pm

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:48 pm

I started the Swedish version of The Bridge. It hasn't been boring.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:52 pm

Hellsangel wrote:I started the Swedish version of The Bridge. It hasn't been boring.

haha, saga gets weirder over time. i think all these odd female detective characters are inspired by lisbeth salander.

this too has an american version but i am sure it will be a bad copy as always! Evil or Very Mad

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:43 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

they've very cleverly made it not possible to watch the danish original through any legit means in the US.  but in the process of looking for it i found an excellent swedish crime serial called wallander. unfortunately netflix has only season 2, but it appears it was remade in english by the beeb starring kenneth branagh in the title role. it's in english, but based in sweden.  i watched the first two episodes of season 1. just fantastic! if i find the season 1 original, i'd rather watch that, but the beeb's production is very well made.

i have watched a couple of episodes of wallander, the original one, but didn't get around to watching it all. yes, it is very good.  i have heard that the BBC version is also very good.

i am considering watching "the bridge", another nordic noir, after completing 'forbrydelson'.  i believe it has been remade both in the US and the UK.

i watched a few episodes from the later seasons of the swedish wallander starring krister henriksson. i liked it, but the bbc remake with branagh in the lead role is edgier and darker and shows more of the lush sea and landscape of southern sweden. but the swedish one is good too, it's a subtler portrayal of the detective. henriksson's portrayal is more noble.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

i watched a few episodes from the later seasons of the swedish wallander starring krister henriksson. i liked it, but the bbc remake with branagh in the lead role is edgier and darker and shows more of the lush sea and landscape of southern sweden.  but the swedish one is good too, it's a subtler portrayal of the detective. henriksson's portrayal is more noble.

i started watching the first episode of the bbc version over the weekend but couldn't complete it since i had to go some place. the only thing that struck me was that it felt a bit odd to hear british accent among swedish names, places and settings. anyway, will watch the whole thing soon.

from the little i watched, it seems his daughter is not a cop? in the swedish one ( i watched 2 or 3 episodes from season 1 a while ago), the first episode was about her joining the police force and committing some rookie errors. also, she had a rather troubled relationship with wallander.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:39 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

i watched a few episodes from the later seasons of the swedish wallander starring krister henriksson. i liked it, but the bbc remake with branagh in the lead role is edgier and darker and shows more of the lush sea and landscape of southern sweden.  but the swedish one is good too, it's a subtler portrayal of the detective. henriksson's portrayal is more noble.

i started watching the first episode of the bbc version over the weekend but couldn't complete it since i had to go some place. the only thing that struck me was that it felt a bit odd to hear british accent among swedish names, places and settings. anyway, will watch the whole thing soon.

from the little i watched, it seems his daughter is not a cop? in the swedish one ( i watched 2 or 3 episodes from season 1 a while ago), the first episode was about her joining the police force and committing some rookie errors. also, she had a rather troubled relationship with wallander.

stupid netflix had three seasons from the swedish original in some random order. in any case, i watched the season (final one i think) in which he slowly descends into alzheimers. made for very difficult watching. brought all my big fears about aging to the forefront and made them really vivid.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

stupid netflix had three seasons from the swedish original in some random order. in any case, i watched the season (final one i think) in which he slowly descends into alzheimers. made for very difficult watching. brought all my big fears about aging to the forefront and made them really vivid.

Wasn't there a Patrick Stewart movie where he was on the onset of Alzheimers? Still haven't watched Still Alice.

PS: Safe House
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

have you watched 'amour', the movie by haneke?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Some good ol' american TV - Bosch.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 10, 2015 8:11 pm

another excellent show featuring brooding detectives (both the female and male leads) - witnesses (temoins). this time in french. highly recommended.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun May 10, 2015 10:28 pm

I've always wondered why you people watch so much tv. a good remedy for bad tv: reading. if you can't find anything else, just read your children's school books of history and geography. I don't recommend american literature.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun May 10, 2015 11:36 pm

swapna wrote:I've always wondered why you people watch so much tv. a good remedy for bad tv: reading. if you can't find anything else, just read your children's school books of history and geography. I don't recommend american literature.

am done with TV shows and am reading short stories by somerset maugham. oddly, my children don't have textbooks for history or geography.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon May 11, 2015 12:52 am

bw wrote:
swapna wrote:I've always wondered why you people watch so much tv. a good remedy for bad tv: reading. if you can't find anything else, just read your children's school books of history and geography. I don't recommend american literature.

am done with TV shows and am reading short stories by somerset maugham. oddly, my children don't have textbooks for history or geography.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Mon May 11, 2015 1:00 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

I watched it. Fabulous performances! It should be interesting to see Amour & Tokyo Story together to compare. The most interesting films I've seen recently is Good Bye to Language by Godard, it is strictly for his fans though.

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon May 11, 2015 1:02 am

bw wrote:

does the school give students dvds about historical events to watch? doesn't a student need some historical account, either written or filmed?

american history is quite interestingly writen and analyzed in textbooks written for american middle- and highschool students.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon May 11, 2015 2:02 am

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:

does the school give students dvds about historical events to watch? doesn't a student need some historical account, either written or filmed?

american history is quite interestingly writen and analyzed in textbooks written for american middle- and highschool students.

in the school system they are part of (IB system), they are just given topics and asked to go research on it and submit reports, colourful charts, videos, models etc. in addition, they get taken on several field trips. the idea is that it is supposed to encourage creative and independent thinking and learning and through these projects, they will learn the core content as well.

we aren't convinced and so their real education in both history and geography happens at home through various BBC/PBS videos and other resources from the web and library.

there is a lot of discussion on this. i will post some links later.

Last edited by bw on Mon May 11, 2015 2:07 am; edited 2 times in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon May 11, 2015 2:18 am

SUloCHana wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I watched it. Fabulous performances! It should be interesting to see Amour & Tokyo Story together to compare. The most interesting films I've seen recently is Good Bye to Language by Godard, it is strictly for his fans though.

'tokyo story' is one of my all time favourite movies. sulo=PI?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Belgian Masala
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:01 pm

hmmm... pathetic poor geriatric sod desperately craving attention.. so many posts to go..so little time.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Belgian Masala

slick salamander - people dropping like flies. flemish sounds better than the american accent though ;-)

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:16 pm

bw wrote:

slick salamander - people dropping like flies. flemish sounds better than the american accent though ;-)

It is interesting to listen for the common words between Flemish/English, Flemish/French and Flemish/German.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

It is interesting to listen for the common words between Flemish/English, Flemish/French and Flemish/German.

i am too busy reading subtitles to listen to words. i watch the english shows with subtitles too and feel lost without them.

check out 'dicte', a danish masala - no where close to forbrydelsen though.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:32 pm

ha ha ha ammma arived

...maama... amma.. maama mbwahahahahha rofl ..the grave cry
but first

and now maama amma maama from 1:20

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:20 pm

garam_kuta wrote:ha ha ha ammma arived

...maama... amma.. maama mbwahahahahha rofl ..the grave cry
but first

and now maama amma maama from 1:20

this is just for the cause of science..keeping an eye on my project, despite the long drive ahead - taking a starbucks coffee break.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

i am too busy reading subtitles to listen to words. i watch the english shows with subtitles too and feel lost without them.

A new Norway - Okkupert.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 am

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

A new Norway - Okkupert.

watched part of the first episode - seems like a slick show...

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down