Airbnb Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airbnb

+2
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
6 posters

Go down

Airbnb Empty Airbnb

Post by Guest Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:33 pm

With three empty bedrooms going waste, I am wondering if I can open up my home for guests. Concerned about the safety. I need to explore more into this. It seems to be getting pretty popular. Anyone has firsthand experience with this?

Back to top Go down

Airbnb Empty Re: Airbnb

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Kinnera wrote:With three empty bedrooms going waste, I am wondering if I can open up my home for guests. Concerned about the safety. I need to explore more into this. It seems to be getting pretty popular. Anyone has firsthand experience with this?

it is only a matter of time before you get into trouble with a guest - in one way or another.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Kinnera wrote:With three empty bedrooms going waste, I am wondering if I can open up my home for guests. Concerned about the safety. I need to explore more into this. It seems to be getting pretty popular. Anyone has firsthand experience with this?
>>>Not first-hand specifically with air bnb, but a colleague went this route on a trip to Europe recently. It comes down to how comfortable you feel with strangers in your house and the possibility of riffraff showing up, even with verifications. It is not something I would be comfortable with, but then I am a bit of a loner. I have stayed in B&B's. I like them better in Europe than in the US. Overall, I would prefer hotels, where you are not forced to socialize. I guess I am not a happy camper either as a host or as a guest in this B&B game. Smile

P.S> Does this mean your mom, she of the culinary expertise, is open season? We have great weather in CA. Just checking ...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:26 pm

Offer them for rent - paying guest or similar model - after credit/security and any other due diligence. Having a new set of folks every day or two doesn't seem a safe proposition.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:23 pm

What is the long term situation --- are 3 rooms in the house going to be empty most of the time in future? if the answer is yes, you probably are better off in selling the large place and moving into a smaller house / condo. than renting out the empty rooms on a short or long term basis to one or more renters.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:14 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

it is only a matter of time before you get into trouble with a guest - in one way or another.
hmm...another thing is that with my husband traveling, I'll be home alone some of the days. I am not comfortable with the idea of a stranger staying in my house when i am alone. I mean, we check the educational background, job, etc and try to give only to supposedly decent people, but still....

I checked the listings in my area and was surprised to see that so many in my neighborhood have enrolled themselves as hosts. It may not be such a scary thing, but with hubby's traveling, things will be complicated. i am having second thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:28 am

Kris wrote:
>>>Not first-hand specifically with air bnb, but a colleague went this route on a trip to Europe recently. It comes down to how comfortable you feel with strangers in your house and the possibility of riffraff showing up, even with verifications. It is not something I would be comfortable with, but then I am a bit of a loner. I have stayed in B&B's. I like them better in Europe than in the US. Overall, I would prefer hotels, where you are not forced to socialize. I guess I am not a happy camper either as a host or as a guest in this B&B game. Smile

P.S> Does this mean your mom, she of the culinary expertise, is open season? We have great weather in CA. Just checking ...
Thanks for the feedback, kris. I am not gregarious either. I tilt more towards being a loner, but I am not the shy (used to be, not anymore) and introvertish kind either. I socialize ok with people if the situation demands, though it's not the most exciting thing for me to do. Hubby's traveling is going to make things complicated and that's a huge put off.

Mommy dearest told me to visit them in India, instead of them coming here as they are getting old and the travel takes a toll on them. I have a good hand at cooking, though may not be the culinary expert that mom is. 
I recently had a friend and his business partner stay with us briefly. They are from Chennai. The partner is a tambram and a staunch vegetarian. They have been out traveling Europe and US to expand their business for the past one month. The poor partner was obviously starving for some homemade food. Gotta see the way he enjoyed and appreciated my idlis, sambar, pongal, tayir sadam, etc. Smile. If i ever decide to do the Airbnb thing, I feel that my home will be the favorite destination for the business executives coming here from India, at lease from south india.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:33 am

smArtha wrote:

Offer them for rent - paying guest or similar model - after credit/security and any other due diligence. Having a new set of folks every day or two doesn't seem a safe proposition.
ya smartha. Paying guest (female) is another thing i could think of, though i am not sure how comfortable I'll be with someone living at my home day after day. If it clicks, it'll be great. I'll look more into it. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:37 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:What is the long term situation --- are 3 rooms in the house going to be empty most of the time in future? if the answer is yes, you probably are better off in selling the large place and moving into a smaller house / condo. than renting out the empty rooms on a short or long term basis to one or more renters.
Ya, both my sons have their own apartments and the bedrooms are empty most of the time (they had their own stuff going on, so hardly stayed with me even during the summer hols). Yes, i want to downsize too and buy two condos instead of this huge house. We could stay in one and rent the other, but my husband is against that idea. He doesn't want to sell this house.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:11 am

Kinnera wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:What is the long term situation --- are 3 rooms in the house going to be empty most of the time in future? if the answer is yes, you probably are better off in selling the large place and moving into a smaller house / condo. than renting out the empty rooms on a short or long term basis to one or more renters.
Ya, both my sons have their own apartments and the bedrooms are empty most of the time (they had their own stuff going on, so hardly stayed with me even during the summer hols). Yes, i want to downsize too and buy two condos instead of this huge house. We could stay in one and rent the other, but my husband is against that idea. He doesn't want to sell this house.
we're all girls and one cousin who is a boy and we have our own apts..when my uncle and aunt were here it was a combined family. but the house always seems like it's packed.  someone is always dropping in. we live about 1-3h away from mom's place.

if you give your rooms for rent your sons are less likely to visit you in the future. if they know they have to room to sleep in that night they will do so. and frankly even when we were seriously seeing people we'd just sneak in and out of the house and show our faces for breakfast.

and as you're growing older seriously kids should make time for their parents. if they don't have time during the summer holidays that's really a shame.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:18 am

we're asking our parents to move into a one level home (we don't want them going up and down the stairs where they could potentially fall and sustain trauma) but with four or five bedrooms, they will become grandparents hopefully in the next 2 years and they should spend time with the grandkids. anyhow I like having my own bedroom when I visit which is maybe once in 2-3 weeks for 1-2 days. but I find that i'm not the only one visiting. cuz sis or my cousins or some other family member would be visiting also.

in the past it was awful. mom and dad would pick up these random weirdos on student visas and f1s or whatever they're called and allow them to stay until they found their way in life. now one guy took two years to find his way around life. they stayed for free of course - people from the village. this went on for three years with various guys. we finally put a stop to that. sis actually asked that other guy to find himself an apt.  i just couldn't handle it and my parents are so polite it's awful. also we have a set of weird cousins (distantly related to me) from boston. when they show up we make ourselves scarce.

anyway home is home not a place for strangers and distant relatives.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
we're all girls and one cousin who is a boy and we have our own apts..when my uncle and aunt were here it was a combined family. but the house always seems like it's packed.  someone is always dropping in. we live about 1-3h away from mom's place.

if you give your rooms for rent your sons are less likely to visit you in the future. if they know they have to room to sleep in that night they will do so. and frankly even when we were seriously seeing people we'd just sneak in and out of the house and show our faces for breakfast.

and as you're growing older seriously kids should make time for their parents. if they don't have time during the summer holidays that's really a shame.
I don't think all three bedrooms will be occupied with the guests at one time. Kids shouldn't have problems coming home. 

The reason they couldn't come home for summer was coz older was doing research along with a renowned medical researcher on Erwing's Sarcoma. The younger was/is doing his summer internship. Both their places of work were near their apartments and it was convenient for them to go from there. So couldn't come home much.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:38 am

sure. when I was seriously dating this one guy, I told my parents  I was studying the ability of mucopolysaccharides to enhance nitric oxide levels and their role in wound healing with a guy from Harvard.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:40 am

pravalika nanda wrote:sure. when I was seriously dating this one guy, I told my parents  I was studying the ability of mucopolysaccharides to enhance nitric oxide levels and their role in wound healing with a guy from Harvard.
Yeah, the money that is deposited in their banks for the work isn't coming out of the blue. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:05 am

Kinnera wrote:

hmm...another thing is that with my husband traveling, I'll be home alone some of the days. I am not comfortable with the idea of a stranger staying in my house when i am alone. I mean, we check the educational background, job, etc and try to give only to supposedly decent people, but still....

I checked the listings in my area and was surprised to see that so many in my neighborhood have enrolled themselves as hosts. It may not be such a scary thing, but with hubby's traveling, things will be complicated. i am having second thoughts.

Perhaps, they have 2 or more people in their homes all the time. So they can handle the guest. I have stayed as a paying guest a couple of times but lasting 1 to 3 months. Was given a room and free to use the rest of the house except other bedrooms/bathrooms and any private area. But, that was different as there were two 20 yr old guys in the house as well. Not daily renting stuff.

Oh...BTW, I am looking to stay for a couple of days in Atlanta. Do you have any "vacancy" in your house. I am a renowned Swamy ji and a Bhakht of Radhe Guru Maa, and you can trust me...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:22 am

Kinnera wrote:

Perhaps, they have 2 or more people in their homes all the time. So they can handle the guest. I have stayed as a paying guest a couple of times but lasting 1 to 3 months. Was given a room and free to use the rest of the house except other bedrooms/bathrooms and any private area. But, that was different as there were two 20 yr old guys in the house as well.  Not daily renting stuff.

Oh...BTW, I am looking to stay for a couple of days in Atlanta.  Do you have any "vacancy" in your house. I am a renowned Swamy ji and a Bhakht of Radhe Guru Maa, and you can trust me...
If you are really coming to Atlanta, let's meet this time. Ya, I know you are a decent guy, Swamy ji, Bhakht notwithstanding Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:sure. when I was seriously dating this one guy, I told my parents  I was studying the ability of mucopolysaccharides to enhance nitric oxide levels and their role in wound healing with a guy from Harvard.

LOL! I live with my boy friend, but have a separate address for my parents.

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Yeah, the money that is deposited in their banks for the work isn't coming out of the blue. Smile
Have you been spying on their bank accounts? Wink

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Kinnera wrote:
I recently had a friend and his business partner stay with us briefly. They are from Chennai. The partner is a tambram and a staunch vegetarian. They have been out traveling Europe and US to expand their business for the past one month. The poor partner was obviously starving for some homemade food. Gotta see the way he enjoyed and appreciated my idlis, sambar, pongal, tayir sadam, etc. Smile. If i ever decide to do the Airbnb thing, I feel that my home will be the favorite destination for the business executives coming here from India, at lease from south india.  Smile

From India ONLY... That is where you will get into trouble. Indians are like Desi kids - they behave goodly at home and become rogues outside. These very same Indians are a different creature outside their home and country. So beware...

Only Desi women ? yeah rite... say no more.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Kinnera wrote:

From India ONLY... That is where you will get into trouble. Indians are like Desi kids - they behave goodly at home and become rogues outside. These very same Indians are a different creature outside their home and country. So beware...

Only Desi women ?  yeah rite... say no more.
If I go that route, no it won't be for Indians only. I was only saying that ppl coming from India may prefer to be the guests with someone who has the same background. Anyway, as you said, it works out best when there are more than one person taking care of the guests. The idea is shelved for now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down