What do you do for a living? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you do for a living?

+4
chameli
The Absolute Zero
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
8 posters

Go down

What do you do for a living? Empty What do you do for a living?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:17 am

As the CNN article addresses, this is an all-encompassing question that conveys everything about a person in a nutshell. Be it renting an apt, buying a property, introducing someone, or trying to make a deal, the answer "I am ...so and so...." puts the entire situation in perspective.

this is even more important among Indians in India. I have claimed everything from an unemployed high school drop out and elementary school teacher to local company foreman and US doctor/IBM Sr. Researcher depending on the situation - and got away almost always.

what do you claim to be when u r in India ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

What do you do for a living? Empty Re: What do you do for a living?

Post by Kris Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 am

Obama!

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:what do you claim to be when u r in India ?

I never mention that I am visiting from USA. Once you do that advertising everything including chai, bhaji at the local store or chai shop tend to be charged 20x more. Only after paying the bill if they continue to insist I would mention I am a visitor from Amrika. I also never mention the education even when asked, and would let them think I am not well educated. People usually think I am not educated beyond 8th grade, the way I look and dress (even in the USA). I find some comfort in hiding things because I was asked many times "Do you speak English?" in this videsh.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 am

absolute,

I am both impressed and surprised at the same time.

Why would you rate yourself lower than you are ? Doesn't matter in which country .

I state exactly who I am both here and in India and take it from there

*shrug

It maddens me when Americans ask us Indians if we speak English
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:57 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
what do you claim to be when u r in India ?

India or amrika, I just reply, 'computers'.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 am

When we visited India a few years ago, we found that you pay $30 per person to see Taj Mahal (it's Rs. 10, if you are an Indian citizen, even less than that or free if you are Bangladeshi, Nepali), $15 apiece to step on the temple part of the beach at Mahabalipuram (Rs. 5 if you are an Indian citizen), and so on. In hotels, they require you to show your passport (ostensibly for security reasons) and charge you accordingly. Well what many people of Indian origin from here do is left to your imagination. But at the Taj those guys have eagle eyes. Even if you show up in shabby rumpled clothes they will catch you by the way you gesture, or by the camera you carry, by your backpack, or by something else.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:28 am

Indophile,

I can understand the charges being less for an Indian citizen than for an NRI from America.

But free for Bangla Deshis? even after we liberated them ? LOL
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:32 am

chameli wrote:Indophile,

I can understand the charges being less for an Indian citizen than for an NRI from America.

But free for Bangla Deshis? even after we liberated them ? LOL

The worst part at the Taj Mahal is - if you go in and then step out for something, you again pay $30 to get back in.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 pm

indophile ,

oh no that is highway robbery

next time we should take a potty break right within the sheesh mahal lol
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Sheesh Mahal is in Agra Fort, right?

Reminds me of Madhubala's "pyaar karna to darna kya" song and dance in Sheesh Mahal in Mughal-e-Azam with some 100k reflections:-Very Happy

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:17 pm

indophile wrote:When we visited India a few years ago, we found that you pay $30 per person to see Taj Mahal (it's Rs. 10, if you are an Indian citizen, even less than that or free if you are Bangladeshi, Nepali), $15 apiece to step on the temple part of the beach at Mahabalipuram (Rs. 5 if you are an Indian citizen), and so on. In hotels, they require you to show your passport (ostensibly for security reasons) and charge you accordingly. Well what many people of Indian origin from here do is left to your imagination. But at the Taj those guys have eagle eyes. Even if you show up in shabby rumpled clothes they will catch you by the way you gesture, or by the camera you carry, by your backpack, or by something else.

+1 to Indo Garu's post above - Stood in line for Taj Mahal in 2006 and was pulled out by Security Guard as I looked "NRI". I wasn't carrying my passport so, couldn't prove my citizenship to him. Didn't have an Indian DL as well. So, as I'm trying to reason with 'em - a guard takes me aside and asks for a bribe to let me in the Indian citizen line again. Said "No" and paid the non-Indian citizen rate.

As for the main question in the post: assuming it's a social setting - I just say "Work" or "Sticking it to the Man" and walk away because, if you answer it the next question is always - "How much do you earn?" or "What is your CTC" in desh...

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:44 pm

indophile wrote:Sheesh Mahal is in Agra Fort, right?

Reminds me of Madhubala's "pyaar karna to darna kya" song and dance in Sheesh Mahal in Mughal-e-Azam with some 100k reflections:-Very Happy

Ach ! Indophile,

You had to catch me on that one ..I meant Shah Jahan's tomb or Mumtaz Mahal's boudoir lol
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Richard Hed wrote:
indophile wrote:When we visited India a few years ago, we found that you pay $30 per person to see Taj Mahal (it's Rs. 10, if you are an Indian citizen, even less than that or free if you are Bangladeshi, Nepali), $15 apiece to step on the temple part of the beach at Mahabalipuram (Rs. 5 if you are an Indian citizen), and so on. In hotels, they require you to show your passport (ostensibly for security reasons) and charge you accordingly. Well what many people of Indian origin from here do is left to your imagination. But at the Taj those guys have eagle eyes. Even if you show up in shabby rumpled clothes they will catch you by the way you gesture, or by the camera you carry, by your backpack, or by something else.

+1 to Indo Garu's post above - Stood in line for Taj Mahal in 2006 and was pulled out by Security Guard as I looked "NRI". I wasn't carrying my passport so, couldn't prove my citizenship to him. Didn't have an Indian DL as well. So, as I'm trying to reason with 'em - a guard takes me aside and asks for a bribe to let me in the Indian citizen line again. Said "No" and paid the non-Indian citizen rate.

As for the main question in the post: assuming it's a social setting - I just say "Work" or "Sticking it to the Man" and walk away because, if you answer it the next question is always - "How much do you earn?" or "What is your CTC" in desh...

Three experiences come to my mind:

1) While in Salem, I gave my cheppal to a roadside cobbler to stitch it back. When asked told him I was a school teacher in Vellore. His eyes got big and told me that people made "big money" in Vellore. Felt so sad and bad at his condition and his thinking.

2) a couple of students going to the consulate showing off in english about their future, etc...and the others were annoyed. When asked told them I was a college student. Then they put me down and "my college" and on and on for 10 min until I told them...what I did and who I was... The look on their face and others in that bay was priceless.

3) when registering house document, I claimed throughout I was doing MTech at KGP and had to return to take the exams - the papers moved so fast with minimal bribe, my local uncle was shocked.

If I had told I was from Amrika imagine the consequences. It may be bad to lie, but lying to idiots and scoundrels is fair game according to Uppilianica (which is what I also follow).

These days I claim I am a Foreman at a nearby pump factory - of course, I know the owner and also warm him about any inquiry. So I maintain that even to the cops with a straight face and give them our "company" business card.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:58 pm

The small town that I origin from...they know my history, geography and science and all so no hiding. Infact most of them are related. I escape to Bangalore from them and they send 2 bodygurads to follow us.

Anyways, my ds was surprised with all that attention and he was like..."Gosh! Mom! You are so popular!!!"

Well,

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Some blog of an NRI about visiting Taj Mahal said similar things and said it is NOT worth a dime to go there at all. Even from outside. The old Taj Mahal you wanted to see is no longer there. What you have there is this bunch of idiots collecting money and milking people. Reckless stupidity. Old Indian mythologies and texts and commentaries talk about generosity, charity and all those lofty ideals. I wonder we can ever find those in the current life - India or otherwise. At least in US and other countries even if your tears are crocodile tears some people are moved and help but in desh? It is rubbish. Long time ago I was cheated on the Railway platform by 3 different people. The idea they had was "This guy is from USA, he has plenty of dollar bills, some of those bills belong to us, they must come to our pockets somehow." It does not matter the transfer of notes is via legal or illegal method. Even the guy's father who hosted me for 5 hours between my flight and train trip had the same thinking. He said "what is 300 rupees for you? Just throw those notes and these guys will polish your shoes." Unfortunately I was not in need of any shoe polish.

BTW the blog mentioned above said it is better to see the Akshar dham than the Taj Mahal. Indoji, why did you have to see a burial than a temple? :-)

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:03 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Indoji, why did you have to see a burial than a temple? :-)

Akshardhams and Mahalakshmi temples are recent additions to the Indian landscape. When I was young, my parents showed me Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Saranath, and other historic things, and I thought I should do the same for the generation next:-)

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:21 pm

I am at a loss to understand the reasoning to lie about who you are when you visit India?

Charging a person based on perceptions is age old business in India. When people from villages come to city, Taxi or auto people cheat them on a regular basis. If you are not aware of the locations or situations you get cheated in USA too like your plumbing charging you 200 bucks for retightening a loose nut.

Fees at TAJ: What is wrong with charging Indian citizens Rs. 5 and a non Indian citizen $30? Indian citizens pay taxes and own the heritage of the place and Non Indians are visitors who are seen as income sources. In fact people pay thousands of dollars to go visit Taj and would not mind $30 bucks. Taj is very expensive to keep up.

If you are sensible with your purse, I found large amounts of comforts and help in India.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 am

truthbetold wrote:If you are sensible with your purse, I found large amounts of comforts and help in India.

you seem to be saying that if i am sensible with my purse, you would find large amounts of comfort and help in india. could you explain how that's possible?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:28 am

truthbetold wrote:I am at a loss to understand the reasoning to lie about who you are when you visit India?

Have you ever done a property transaction in India or got ANYTHING done for your house by truthfully claiming to be a NRI ?

If only had you done (personally), then you would not ask such a question.

Besides, the MAIN reason I never admitted being a NRI, was/is bcz everyone would want to know only about you and you will be conducting a de facto interview 24/7. I did not want to hear anything about US or related to Western culture (as much as possible) when I go to India.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:57 am

Uppiliji,

I was involved in fairly big deals (atleast in my economic terms) and large number of daily life deals. Cheating was common and perception based pricing is common. NRI is just one such factor. You need to do your homework on big transactions and need to be street aware with daily life deals. One should be generous to get things moving and trying to save on small time things is not a smart thing. I was cheated before I came to uSA and later when I went to India. But it is more due to my lack of preparation or my greediness than my NRI status. In other words, a local person would also be cheated in similar situations.

My general feeling is that NRI status get you a look or two, but price is based on seller's perception of you which is more comprehensive than your NRI status. Do not underestimate the intelligence of Indian businessmen(or conmen). My advice to my friends is to not sweat on small things but to do extra home work on big transactions.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 am

truthbetold,

I understand what you are syaing

People everywhere are the same .Even In the U.S .there are shysters waiting to take our money .but we only see the greedy Indian and as much money as we have we are still loathe to hand over some of it to our disadvantaged brethren

'Dont sweat over the small stuff" I like that

I like your thought process

Add to that " Be magnanimous " Smile
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down