Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale

+6
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
swapna
truthbetold
10 posters

Go down

Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale Empty Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 pm

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/science/science/310116/there-is-no-heaven-it-s-a-fairy-tale-stephen-hawking.html

The belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a “fairy story” for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

“I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first,” he said.

Hawking’s latest comments go beyond those laid out in his 2010 book, The Grand Design, in which he asserted that there is no need for a creator to explain the existence of the universe.

Please add to the above what other famous scientists said about God and religious belief in recent decades.

It is disappointing to see highly educated people (including several on this forum) failing to learn scientific way of thinking.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale Empty Re: Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale

Post by swapna Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:21 pm

who is this hawkins?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale Empty Re: Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:34 pm

swapna wrote:who is this hawkins?

Do you believe in God and heaven?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 am

He was a basketball player

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:27 am

Hawking should be careful. Hebdo was punished for drawing a beard. If Hawking denies the pieceful their heaven, they will be very mad for not being able to .... 72..........

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:39 am

truthbetold wrote:

a certain naive gowNDer once.asked me that question, assuming that I would be afraid to say "no" because I'd be screwed if there.actually were a god. I answered "no," disappointing the gowNDer.

do you believe in any fierce-looking god or goddess? do you go on pilgrimage to holy places and shave your head? do you pray that your stocks yield high returns?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:34 am

swapna wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

TBT: "NO" is the response from Swapna/Flimflam. Correct me if I am incorrect.

Swapna/Flimflam: a certain naive gowNDer once.asked me that question, assuming that I would be afraid to say "no" because I'd be screwed if there.actually were a god. I answered "no," disappointing the gowNDer.

do you believe in any fierce-looking god or goddess? do you go on pilgrimage to holy places and shave your head? do you pray that your stocks yield high returns?

TBT: NO.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 am

not a he, it. a pressure cooker:

Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale 61kHFC%2BS9hL._SX522_
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:51 am

Here is my perception on who on such forum is where on the issue of God and heaven:

Posters who said they do not believe in God and heaven:

Flim/Flam, TBT, Admin

Posters who probably believe in God:

Raw, VP, Uppili, Rashmun, goodcitizen, garam-kuta, smartha, southindian, ashdoc (correct me if I am wrong)

Merlot Daruwala claimed he believes in some higher power (he can clarify).

Not sure on their stance on belief in God:

CD, Max, Prop, HA

Not sure:  

Beatrix, seven, brie

I am sure I missed few posters.  You got a keyboard. Use it to let us know what you believe in.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:58 am

what, hawking says no sky daddy?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:32 am

truthbetold wrote:Here is my perception on who on such forum is where on the issue of God and heaven:

Flim/Flam, TBT, Admin

Raw, VP, Uppili, Rashmun, goodcitizen, garam-kuta, smartha, southindian, ashdoc (correct me if I am wrong)

CD, Max, Prop, HA

Not sure:  

Beatrix, seven, brie

I am sure I missed few posters.  You got a keyboard. Use it to let us know what you believe in.
brie displayed a photograph here of his pooja room with many little, multicoloured, plastic goddesses and gods.

propa made a pilgrimage to thirupathi, wearing a new, silk vest that the senior mrs seetharamayya "stitchef" for him, and probaby shaved his head, and prayed for his imvestments and his ferrari, the one in which he sits at tyre level.

rashmun is loyal to a fierce goddess who drips blood, wears a garland of human skulls, and saves as souvenirs the human limbs she has cut off from evil people, but it's all symbolic, he assures us.

"hawkins," one moment, is sure about what took place the instant after something came into existence out of nothing, based on mathematical models, and the next moment, is sure of somerhing else.

[size=63]I prefer max's pressure cooker, and shall perhaps build a pooja room for it where I shall worship it.[/size]

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:48 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

not a he, it. a pressure cooker:

Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale 61kHFC%2BS9hL._SX522_

Oh yes... You are right. It is a pressure cooker.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:54 am

Max is hiding behind pressure cooker.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:14 pm

disclaimer: i have not read anything about the original post. just responding to tbt's post that had my name in some category. 

not sure. yeah that's right. not sure what i believe in. you may as well stop reading the rest of this post now as it's going to be long and confusing. 

at the core of me, i don't believe in god, or rebirth, or even karma or any of the western concepts. it doesn't add up. but since i grew up with a strong religious background, i haven't canceled it out of my vocabulary or way of thinking or even lifestyle. i happily believe in ramayan, mahabharat, or bible, or quran. It's a good read, if nothing else. i talk about blessings and curses and karma and consequences, as it's coded in my mind. i utter a small prayer when scared. I go to temples because it gives me a peace of mind. and i do pooja on auspicious days. because the rituals make me feel good. the more i keep it close to the instructions, the more i feel e'thing will be set right in my life. almost as if i am evaluating and passing a test i set for myself. and if i can do that today, i am prepared to face other tests. 

i guess it all boils down to what i really believe in more and more now. I believe in the yet-untapped powers of the human brain. pretty much everything that people talk about - visions, heaven, coming back from death, etc, can be alternatively explained by a theory that it was all imagined. you can trick your mind to believe anything. and some people possess more of this. super imagination, not super power. and if it 'happens', it could just be a coincidence. i keep thinking that's what it really might be. it's also scary. to imagine something purely imagined as final truth, and not realizing that that's what's happening. 

that also leads to, or is closely related to, another thing that i believe in, and that's aura. i do think some people have stronger auras than others, which in turn could mean that some people have this extra sense to feel other people's aura. not sure what science eventually may have to say about it. 

overall, it is not a closed topic for me. i keep myself open to talks and arguments and examples from all sides of it. that's why i never debate from any side. i don't tell believers to shut up, and i nod a little bit when atheists give their arguments. if you want to pray, go ahead. what can be so bad about it as long as you are not paying thousands to fake priests. if you want to diss god, go ahead, you are not hurting any god's feelings. i don't feel threatened by either believers or atheists. but i feel slightly more disgust for people who do religious scams, as well as for those who fall for it. 

i used to seek out psychics, but not any more except for entertainment purposes. same about astrologers and palm readers. i used to do that for fun, but once someone gave a very dark future for me, and that messed me up so bad that i now don't go for any reading of any kind. once an astrologer sent a huge letter to my aunt outlining the future of all her kids, and it came out to be so true over the years that it freaked all of us out. but that too i think, what if they knew that's going to happen, so they unknowingly made it happen that way? 

the other things i find real hard to believe in are ghosts, devils, angels, witches, etc. I hear claims of rebirths and quickly prefer to forget them. but i will happily watch movies or read stories of all those genres. 

i also give due thought to many of those science or conspiracy theories, which are not proven. i try to work out different theories to see if they make sense. i am quite curious when they claim that aliens built pyramids. but i just can't digest time travel theories, and if it will be possible in future. but i will happily watch movies of that genre too.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:26 pm

i don't have the energy to rehash everything i've said at sulekha or here just because you suddenly became curious about it today. we've had many of these conversations before. i am an agnostic who remains culturally a hindu.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:29 pm

imagine you're a gardener. you're preparing soil for planting roses. removing the weeds. if it destroys a colony of micro-organisms, do you care? you just go about creating your garden. 
now imagine the same scenario from the micro-organism's POV. they have plans, aspirations, desires etc (at their level), all destroyed by the bigger plan *they* have no idea about or interest in. 

i feel like we are to god like micro-organisms are to us. we like to think god listens and cares etc about us. but in truth, it's not true. 

if no one understands my post, ts will.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:51 pm

truthbetold wrote:Max is hiding behind pressure cooker.

He is implying that his wife is his God by putting a picture of pressure-cooker.

Smart man.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:57 pm

swapna wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Here is my perception on who on such forum is where on the issue of God and heaven:

brie displayed a photograph here of his pooja room with many little, multicoloured, plastic goddesses and gods.

propa made a pilgrimage to thirupathi, wearing a new, silk vest that the senior mrs seetharamayya "stitchef" for him, and probaby shaved his head, and prayed for his imvestments and his ferrari, the one in which he sits at tyre level.

rashmun is loyal to a fierce goddess who drips blood, wears a garland of human skulls, and saves as souvenirs the human limbs she has cut off from evil people, but it's all symbolic, he assures us.
[/size]

And you are upset bcz none of them prayed to the statue of a deadbody of a loser - the DeadMan..

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:09 pm

swapna wrote:

Flim/Flam, TBT, Admin

CD, Max, Prop, HA

Not sure:  

Beatrix, seven, brie

"hawkins," one moment, is sure about what took place the instant after something came into existence out of nothing, based on mathematical models, and the next moment, is sure of somerhing else.

[size=63]I prefer max's pressure cooker, and shall perhaps build a pooja room for it where I shall worship it.[/size]

so i mean, what's with so many typos lately? health shelth ok?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:28 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
swapna wrote:

Flim/Flam, TBT, Admin

CD, Max, Prop, HA

Not sure:  

Beatrix, seven, brie

so i mean, what's with so many typos lately? health shelth ok?

He is a Christian... A Syrian Christian... A Keral Syrian Christian.... an esteemed, English Master, a certified certifier.

He intentionally made those mistakes to educate SuCHers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:35 pm

The topic is sensitive. I may have started the conversation implying scientific temprrement is superior than other forms of opinion formation.

My intent is not to establish the superior caste of scientific thinkers who can lookdown on others.

It is just curiosity.

Peoples ability to objectively review and comment about an issue is not correlated to ones view of God.

The question in my mind is how can one square the laws of nature with

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:21 am

Stephen Hawking is no different than ANY other human.

He will die someday like rest of us.

He may know a bit more physics than rest of us but still has very limited knowledge on the subject... and is in news than most because he has fought physical challenges to do well. I respect that. But that's it.

He knows NOTHING more about GOD than any of us.

As long as Stephen Hawking lives he will be in news... and then he will die and someone else will say the same about God.

Humans know soooo little about anything outside this world. It's hilarious.

Castu and Geneu and religiousu are right topics for the group. Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale Icon_smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:43 am

southindian wrote:Stephen Hawking is no different than ANY other human.

He may know a bit more physics than rest of us but still has very limited knowledge on the subject... and is in news than most because he has fought physical challenges to do well. I respect that. But that's it.

As long as Stephen Hawking lives he will be in news... and then he will die and someone else will say the same about God.

Castu and Geneu and religiousu are right topics for the group. Hawkins says heaven is a fairy tale Icon_smile
noooo! really??

btw, it's "like the rest of us," not "like rest of us."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't have the energy to rehash everything i've said at sulekha or here just because you suddenly became curious about it today. we've had many of these conversations before.  i am an agnostic who remains culturally a hindu.
actually you are more of a hypocrite than an agnostic.

why are you culturally hindu -- still? pressure cooker advised you to be this way? no loyalty to america? do you have a brain? had i been in your place i would have announced that culturally i am american but can handle india. you were even more specific. you used the word "hindu." are you of rss following? please enumerate what HINDU CULTURE means to you, you bastard!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:48 pm

you never learnt absorbed anything from outside your hindu cocoon in india that deserved mention. it is expected that you will never learn absorb anything from outside in your hindu cocoon in usa.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:59 pm

brie wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't have the energy to rehash everything i've said at sulekha or here just because you suddenly became curious about it today. we've had many of these conversations before.  i am an agnostic who remains culturally a hindu.
actually you are more of a hypocrite than an agnostic.

why are you culturally hindu -- still? pressure cooker advised you to be this way? no loyalty to america? do you have a brain? had i been in your place i would have announced that culturally i am american but can handle india. you were even more specific. you used the word "hindu." are you of rss following? please enumerate what HINDU CULTURE means to you, you bastard!
your accusation makes no sense at all, given that max has just finished saying openly that  he is an agnostic who is culturally a hindu; he's not disguising himself as anything else. 

if he were culturally a hindu, but hid that, and pretended indiscriminately that he loved all things american, he would be a hypocrite.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:31 pm

swapna wrote:

noooo! really??

Thomas,

Teary eyed... I can say, SuCHers will miss you dearly once you are dead. I mean, who else will make a post here just for irrelevant grammatical statements.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:50 pm

southindian wrote:
swapna wrote:

noooo! really??

Thomas,

Teary eyed... I can say, SuCHers will miss you dearly once you are dead. I mean, who else will make a post here just for irrelevant grammatical statements.
vivek patel, I enjoy hearing you admit that it is only when I die that you will get relief from the pain you feel in your jiggly arse when I leave my boot marks on it. please stock up on painkillers, and for consolation, cheevda.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:29 pm

swapna wrote:
southindian wrote:
swapna wrote:

noooo! really??

Thomas,

vivek patel, I enjoy hearing you admit that it is only when I die that you will get relief from the pain you feel in your jiggly arse when I leave my boot marks on it. please stock up on painkillers, and for consolation, cheevda.
Thomas,

The cheevda and painkillers are all in abundance and stocked well. Please let me enjoy them.... Please.

Let me experience that day on SuCH.

I promise I'll even post an RIP here. Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:37 pm

brie wrote:please enumerate what HINDU CULTURE means to you, you bastard!

briefly, carnatic music and bharathanattiyam which are at the confluence of hinduism and the thamizh language are both dear to me.  the bhakti poetry of the azhwars and kamban are some of the most lyrical expressions of love that i have come across. i love the simple tamil brahmin cuisine influenced heavily by religious proscriptions. although much has changed in the last twenty or so years in the broader society, i still very much subscribe to the values of the hindu culture i was born into which emphasizes the effort and the journey without worrying about any potential prize at the end.

Karmanye vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
Ma Karmaphalaheturbhurma Te Sangostvakarmani

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन।
मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि॥

finally i wish to be cremated when i die.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

briefly, carnatic music and bharathanattiyam which are at the confluence of hinduism and the thamizh language are both dear to me.  the bhakti poetry of the azhwars and kamban are some of the most lyrical expressions of love that i have come across. i love the simple tamil brahmin cuisine influenced heavily by religious proscriptions. although much has changed in the last twenty or so years in the broader society, i still very much subscribe to the values of the hindu culture i was born into which emphasizes the effort and the journey without worrying about any potential prize at the end.

i guess there weren't any microcosms of "hindu" culture that i was exposed to that left an impact on me (as in cherish). what's it that i cherish about my upbringing in india (not kathak, not hindustani music etc.). let's see:

- lungi (not hindu per se);
- butter chicken (indian... hardly hindu)
- indian girls
- rich parents and thus worldly pleasure (not hindu)
- bollywood movies (not hindu)
- (now i  have to strain hard). zero (hindu?)
- (i'd better stop)

so you might well have been sincere in your description of yourself but it is alien to me. to each his own!

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:35 pm

brie wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i guess there weren't any microcosms of "hindu" culture that i was exposed to that left an impact on me (as in cherish). what's it that i cherish about my upbringing in india (not kathak, not hindustani music etc.). let's see:

- lungi (not hindu per se);
- butter chicken (indian... hardly hindu)
- indian girls
- rich parents and thus worldly pleasure (not hindu)
- bollywood movies (not hindu)
- (now i  have to strain hard). zero (hindu?)
- (i'd better stop)

so you might well have been sincere in your description of yourself but it is alien to me. to each his own!

you forgot the lota.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:21 pm

What is wrong with this guy, brie?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:45 pm

truthbetold wrote:What is wrong with this guy, brie?
Did you mean to put that comma there?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:34 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Did you mean to put that comma* there?

LoL. eanAithu saar nimgE? since when you became a casteist? LoL again.
*- sp??

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:27 am

lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:45 am

exactly! wait i'll call the TCH owner today. i'll ask him -- that apparently non-indian looking old man who is a regular in your establishment, who always insists that he be allowed to pay in food stamps, who orders the cheapest items and slurps sambar (not the sp. and correct it if you have it misspelt in your eatery) by bucketloads 'cos it's free, who ogles at other patrons, is he... i mean what do you think is wrong with him sir? 

i'll report back tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:52 am

brie wrote:
exactly! wait i'll call the TCH owner today. i'll ask him -- that apparently non-indian looking old man who is a regular in your establishment, who always insists that he be allowed to pay in food stamps, who orders the cheapest items and slurps sambar (not the sp. and correct it if you have it misspelt in your eatery) by bucketloads 'cos it's free, who ogles at other patrons, is he... i mean what do you think is wrong with him sir? 

"ogles other patrons," not "ogles at other patrons."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:12 am

swapna wrote:
brie wrote:

it's indian english. i adopted it the day i left USA shores. you APPARENTLY non-indian looking folks should get used to it for indian english has made its mark. the "at" makes no difference and thus it ruffles me not. first learn to write proper english before attempting to correct usage. 

by the way, i called the TCH owner and said what i had to say. he hung up (much to my chagrin). i called him BACK. he said -- look boss this is rush hour. the man you are describing walks in on his legs but walks out on his hands. i have a lot to tell you about him, can you call me tomorrow? 

OK will report tomorrow.

swapna what do you look like. not apparently but actually. medium brown? your daughter, who, you have confessed, looks DARK. are dark and medium-brown euphemisms for white chalk? why is is that you always use skin color to describe yourself and your progeny? what about pock marks! pigeon chests! buck teeth!

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:30 am

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:

it's indian english. i adopted it the day i left USA shores. you APPARENTLY non-indian looking folks should get used to it for indian english has made its mark. the "at" makes no difference and thus it ruffles me not. first learn to write proper english before attempting to correct usage. 

by the way, i called the TCH owner and said what i had to say. he hung up (much to my chagrin). i called him BACK. he said -- look boss this is rush hour. the man you are describing walks in on his legs but walks out on his hands. i have a lot to tell you about him, can you call me tomorrow? 

OK will report tomorrow.

swapna what do you look like. not apparently but actually. medium brown? your daughter, who, you have confessed, looks DARK. are dark and medium-brown euphemisms for white chalk? why is is that you always use skin color to describe yourself and your progeny? what about pock marks! pigeon chests! buck teeth!
Thomas has no other strong points in life other than pointing at other people's English usage. These bully are worth nothing today. Total waste of life.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:15 am

southindian wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:

OK will report tomorrow.

Thomas has no other strong points in life other than pointing at other people's English usage. These bully are worth nothing today. Total waste of life.
every village needs a clown sir. do you want to strip us of our "village," or as thomas would say -- bhillage -- status?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down