what's for dinner? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what's for dinner?

5 posters

Go down

what's for dinner? Empty what's for dinner?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:35 pm

muLLangi sAmbAr and thAi eggplant poriyal here.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

what's for dinner? Empty Re: what's for dinner?

Post by truthbetold Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:44 pm

did you cook?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:45 pm

truthbetold wrote:did you cook?

yes. thAi eggplant is very suitable to be turned into a dry tamilian style poriyal. sweet and absorbent of many spices.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Can you give us your recipe?

I tried some recipes on internet. Got good results with egg and potato. Did not do well with eggplant and Okra.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:28 pm

truthbetold wrote:Can you give us your recipe?

I tried some recipes on internet.  Got good results with egg and potato. Did not do well with eggplant and Okra.

i just make it up as i go along. cut thai eggplant into quarters. get oil really hot (i use peanut oil), pop mustard seeds, drop in a tablespoon each of urad and chana dal and flavor the oil with asafoetida powder. when the dals brown, drop in a couple of dried red chillies, sprig of curry leaves, wait 15 seconds, then dunk in the cut eggplant, add turmeric, cumin and coriander powder, and a tablespoon of store bought sAmbAr powder and salt to taste. keep moving the thing around until it is cooked with a bite still left. do not overcook and get it mushy. serve with sAmbAr.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:29 pm

thAi eggplant is really different from regular eggplant. it doesn't get mush easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_eggplant
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I tried some recipes on internet.  Got good results with egg and potato. Did not do well with eggplant and Okra.

i just make it up as i go along. cut thai eggplant into quarters. get oil really hot (i use peanut oil), pop mustard seeds, drop in a tablespoon each of urad and chana dal and flavor the oil with asafoetida powder. when the dals brown, drop in a couple of dried red chillies, sprig of curry leaves, wait 15 seconds, then dunk in the cut eggplant, add turmeric, cumin and coriander powder, and a tablespoon of store bought sAmbAr powder and salt to taste. keep moving the thing around until it is cooked with a bite still left. do not overcook and get it mushy. serve with sAmbAr.

I have not done any sauteing with this variety; my 2 cents: along with turmeric and dhaniya powders, addition of red chilly powder would have taken care of the need for sambar powder - which has fenugreek imparting bitter taste. traditionally, adding diluted and low amounts (sprinkling) of tamarind water almost towards the end is good (it needs to be cooked say 2 minutes to get rid of the raw flavor - but, if added right at the beginning, it will seep into it so much that the eggplant's natural flavor will be çompromised and sourness gets enhanced) this helps really to bring out the taste of the spices and the egg plant itself (looks like lowering the pH is a good idea for eggplant, plantain and such). Garnishing with a bit of fresh coriander leaves at the end and mixing it well gives a good touch for all eggplant curries.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:00 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I have not done any sauteing with this variety; my 2 cents:  along with turmeric and dhaniya powders, addition of red chilly powder would have taken care of the need for sambar powder - which has fenugreek imparting bitter taste. traditionally, adding  diluted and low amounts (sprinkling) of tamarind water almost towards the end is good (it needs to be cooked say 2 minutes to get rid of the raw flavor - but, if added right at the beginning, it will seep into it so much  that the eggplant's natural flavor will be çompromised and sourness gets enhanced) this helps really to bring out the taste of the spices and the egg plant itself (looks like lowering the pH is a good idea for eggplant, plantain and such). Garnishing with a bit of fresh coriander leaves at the end and mixing it well gives a good touch for all eggplant curries.

my dinner: (i) vendakkai/bhindi masiyal made with mashed thuvar dal + asafoetida + green chillies + a bit tamarind extract garnished with mustard and urad dal (ii) cooked and mashed regular spinach (not pAlak) garnished with cumin + urad dal (iii) jeera-pepper rasam (iv) curd rice + citron pickles and dessert - three 'after eight' mint chocolate thins

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:55 pm

what's for dinner? DSC_0002

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Bittu wrote:what's for dinner? DSC_0002

wow ..awesome clap

welcome back Bittu..we missed you..trust all is good.

aside: just watch out for the vile impostor handles; I am sure you can easily guess who that lowlife is. garam_kuta with an underscore is mine while all other variations of it with a dash and 'tt' in kuta and such are the filthy masquerading ones. same goes for the Tracy Whitney handle as well.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:30 pm

hey garam_kuta how's it going? thanks for alerting me to the imposters; i probably would have missed it. Are you guys so notorious that people have started impersonating you?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Bittu wrote:what's for dinner? DSC_0002
Yummm!! While you were having that for dinner y'day night, I was enjoying Lemon rice (and dosakaya pappu, Ulava chaaru, aavakaya, kakinada kaaja, vada, kandi podi, majjiga mirapakaayalu, donda kaaya vepudu, ugadi pacchadi, etc....I know you haven't been gultufied enough yet to know what they are tongue) at TAMA's Ugadi function.

How are you, Mr. Alguien? :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Bittu wrote:hey garam_kuta how's it going? thanks for alerting me to the imposters; i probably would have missed it. Are you guys so notorious that people have started impersonating you?

How low someone can get to i even my handle is being impersonated?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:12 pm

my dinner yesterday was from dominos...delivered by older's friend - and hence her awkwardness to tip lol. Side story - the regular older guy for our route began harassing some teen girl, texting her stuff from the phone she had called to order. So he was fired. 

2 peeza slices. black olive + mushroom topping. Kids hogged up on jalapeno topping, and only one slice was left, and xh had ordered that one for himself, so i left it for him.

2 buffalo wings

1/2 lava cake. 

Dinner today. Not sure yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down