Synthesis: Tamilians in Delhi Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Synthesis: Tamilians in Delhi

Go down

Synthesis: Tamilians in Delhi Empty Synthesis: Tamilians in Delhi

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:07 am

Malai Mandir in R K Puram is the most popular Tamil temple. Malai is Tamil for mountain, but Lord Murugan's Hindi-Punjabi devotees look upon it as the 'cream' of a temple.
The chant of slokas, fragrance of flowers, gajras, incense and the inevitable idli-vada-sambar recreate for D-Tams a long-lost ambience. ''I feel as though I'm back home in Mylapore,'' says 70-year-old Brihadambal as she shepherds her grandchildren through the kovil.
Nearby are the Kamakshi temple and Balaji mandir. Ganesh temples at Sarojini Nagar, Lawrence Road and Rohini Sector-9 are hubs of Tamils' cultural exchanges. But delicious prasadam of tamarind rice and curd rice is to be had only at the Rama temple on Ramana Maharshi Marg.
Rama store in Munirka, Madras and Tamil Nadu stores in Karol Bagh are where you get authentic Tamil groceries. Be it Kolamaavu (alpana powder), masalas or murukkus. ''The mysore-pak though is not quite what you get at Grand Sweets, Chennai,'' says retired bureaucrat K S Ambi, ''but it is quite adequate''.
A more glamorous addition to the Capital is Nalli's, to shop for the rich variety of Tamil sarees. In Connaught Place, it is located bang next to the city's oldest Tamil restaurant — the legendary Madras Hotel. No new entrant — be it Dakshin, Sagar, Naivedyam, Govardhan, Kamakshi or Kanchi — has been able to match Madras Hotel — in clientele or quality. The ubiquitous Udupi is not in the race — it's a Karnataka institution.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Ubiquitous-Madrasi-in-Delhi/articleshow/22297939.cms

Back to top Go down

Synthesis: Tamilians in Delhi Empty Re: Synthesis: Tamilians in Delhi

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:54 pm

unfortunately, these dumbos don't have any pics to go witht he story. anyhow, the article made me checkout the nalli website but frankly my mom and dad get great sarees from right here. the website doesn't look good.

but then i tried to chec out the menu at this madras hotel, very dull. the saravana bhavan on lex ave and the madral mahal nearby and curry in a hurry which is bangladeshi all have pretty good food.

i checked out some of the other delhi eateries and their menus. there is this one ghastly restaurant in defense colony, ND, i guess they're trying to be quirly but they have screwdrivers placed in drinks etc. what if it's rusty?? of course it is handy if the guy you;re with won't pay the bill.

anyhow, the food is too expensive, there's aplce called hwealth which is also boring and weird. they have a litlle caveat:"oh you have to drink eevrythng (their detx stuff) w/i 20 mins of delivery to experience the ehalth benefits." like whaat--- i put parsely and coriander in my soothies and they're taste great for days.

anyhow, this rolmaal looks aforadble:
https://www.zomato.com/ncr/rollmaal-kailash-colony-new-delhi/menu#tabtop

i don't know how lower middle class people in india a re eating though.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:01 pm

https://www.zomato.com/NehruPlaceSocial#?ref_type=subzone&ref_id=18

this is like a bathroom. my bathroom looks better

but overall though, the variety of cuisines in delhi is quite extradordinary. lots of stuff looks quite yummy.

that reminds me, i found this syrah soaked toscano cheese at trader joe's which is making me feel very happy and guilty at the same time.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down