Takeaways for me Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Takeaways for me

+7
southindian
Idéfix
Hellsangel
garam-kuta
pravalika nanda
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
11 posters

Go down

Takeaways for me Empty Takeaways for me

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 pm

As a democrat and a staunch Hillary supporter I definitely feel chastened. And as a US citizen I am trying to not be cynical and pessimistic and assume the worst about all the people who voted for Trump. While it is undeniable that there is a strong undercurrent of this alt-right white nationalistic movement that formed the bedrock of his support, there were a lot of rust belt whites who voted for Obama, who rejected the democrats for primarily economic reasons. We cannot assume the worst about people whose lives don't intersect ours, and we have to confess to some amount of smugness. The demographics of the country are changing and will eventually favor democrats, but we are not there yet. And while we are on that path, the party cannot afford to ignore the concerns of white working class voters. In fact it is telling that Trump got the black male vote he got, something like 13%. How is that possible? My only explanation is that there are black voters who similarly feel economically left out who don't feel adequately compensated for the wreckage caused in their lives by globalization. But while the democratic party tries to rebuild from this clear rejection, it should not resort to promising easy solutions ala Trump. That may help in one election cycle but is unsustainable. They must emphasize that rebuilding lives broken by globalization will take work -- additional education, retraining etc and that they are willing to support and champion in a bipartisan way programs and policies that can make this happen.

Clearly the democratic economic policy positions were not appealing to them, or at the very least were not articulated well enough. At the same time I am firmly convinced that Trump is not going to do anything for them. My fear though is that after four years of seeing nothing improve in their lives, they'll still blame the easy targets -- Muslims, immigrants, Latinos, and the nebulous "elite" and that they'll vote him back. So he has eight years to inflict maximum damage -- to healthcare, beginning to deal with student debt, the social safety net, rights of LGBTQ people, and the environmental issues that Obama championed, while making our European and Asian allies skeptical of our commitment to long term ties with them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Takeaways for me Empty Re: Takeaways for me

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:59 pm

For me:
Hunker down in my modestly liberal county. Absolutely no travel for next few years.
Don't wear traditional dresses (Saree and bindi are a big No)
Learn a few verses of Bible, may come handy when pulled over by traffic cop
Wear a cross around my neck so nobody will mistake me for a Muslim
Put a cap on that says I'm not a Mexican thus not a rapist or criminal

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:00 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:For me:
Hunker down in my modestly liberal county. Absolutely no travel for next few years.

I am not going to live scared like that. Why did we even bother with getting citizenship then?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:02 pm

trump said he supports LGBTQ and I presume that includes cross dressers.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:12 pm

i get it and then again i don't quite get it.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:As a democrat and a staunch Hillary supporter I definitely feel chastened. And as a US citizen I am trying to not be cynical and pessimistic and assume the worst about all the people who voted for Trump. 
While it is undeniable that there is a strong undercurrent of this alt-right white nationalistic movement that formed the bedrock of his support, there were a lot of rust belt whites who voted for Obama, who rejected the democrats for primarily economic reasons.  We cannot assume the worst about people whose lives don't intersect ours, and we have to confess to some amount of smugness. The demographics of the country are changing and will eventually favor democrats, but we are not there yet. And while we are on that path, the party cannot afford to ignore the concerns of white working class voters. In fact it is telling that Trump got the black male vote he got, something like 13%. How is that possible? My only explanation is that there are black voters who similarly feel economically left out who don't feel adequately compensated for the wreckage caused in their lives by globalization.

** well if you stop illegal immigration, then all those small odd jobs that the illegals are taking up could go to the black under-educated folk.

But while the democratic party tries to rebuild from this clear rejection, it should not resort to promising easy solutions ala Trump. That may help in one election cycle but is unsustainable. They must emphasize that rebuilding lives broken by globalization will take work -- additional education, retraining etc and that they are willing to support and champion in a bipartisan way programs and policies that can make this happen.

Clearly the democratic economic policy positions were not appealing to them, or at the very least were not articulated well enough. At the same time I am firmly convinced that Trump is not going to do anything for them. My fear though is that after four years of seeing nothing improve in their lives, they'll still blame the easy targets -- Muslims, immigrants, Latinos, and the nebulous "elite" and that they'll vote him back. So he has eight years to inflict maximum damage -- to healthcare, beginning to deal with student debt, the social safety net, rights of LGBTQ people, and the environmental issues that Obama championed, while making our European and Asian allies skeptical of our commitment to long term ties with them.

** yes i agree that he will be a two-term president no matter what. hopefully he won't screw up everything.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I am not going to live scared like that. Why did we even bother with getting citizenship then?
Believe it or not, this has been the reality in many parts of the country for the past few months, white dudes have been showing attitude, imagine this in conjunction with less-scrutiny-of-police policy expected by the new administration.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:44 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Believe it or not, this has been the reality in many parts of the country for the past few months, white dudes have been showing attitude, imagine this in conjunction with less-scrutiny-of-police policy expected by the new administration.
right. clinton supporters on the other hand are the example of the tolerant.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=27f_1478817574&safe_mode=off

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Oh dear! The sky is falling, Comrade!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:00 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

trump said he supports LGBTQ and I presume that includes cross dressers.

Ha ha ha!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Much is being made of white people choosing Trump over Clinton. So far it looks like white people voted by 20 percent margin for Trump, same as they did for Romney. The difference was in how college educated whites voted compared to less educated white people: Trump had a slight lead in the first group and a huge lead in the second. Romney got similar levels of support from both groups. Because college educated whites tend to live in cities and bluer states for economic reasons, and less educated people live in rural areas and redder states, the same level of overall white support produced very different outcomes for Romney and Trump. This election was not about race as much as social class.

Trump pandered very effectively to the demographic that he called the poorly educated. He took advantage of the 30 year campaign of lies about what is good for the middle class and the poor, and built on it with racial resentments.

The way forward for the Dems is to champion the cause of the poor and middle class of all races. That is how the anger of the under educated can be channeled into social policies that benefit them: free college for the poor, universal healthcare, etc.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:43 pm

Idéfix wrote:Much is being made of white people choosing Trump over Clinton. So far it looks like white people voted by 20 percent margin for Trump, same as they did for Romney. The difference was in how college educated whites voted compared to less educated white people: Trump had a slight lead in the first group and a huge lead in the second. Romney got similar levels of support from both groups. Because college educated whites tend to live in cities and bluer states for economic reasons, and less educated people live in rural areas and redder states, the same level of overall white support produced very different outcomes for Romney and Trump. This election was not about race as much as social class.

Trump pandered very effectively to the demographic that he called the poorly educated. He took advantage of the 30 year campaign of lies about what is good for the middle class and the poor, and built on it with racial resentments.

The way forward for the Dems is to champion the cause of the poor and middle class of all races. That is how the anger of the under educated can be channeled into social policies that benefit them: free college for the poor, universal healthcare, etc.
This is the key. *All races*. Hillary didn't do that. She targeted only specific groups and tried to be their champion. Naturally, the majority race of the majority religion went to Trump. Democrats should stop sucking up to the minorities/immigrants/muslims, etc and start talking in terms of *all americans*. That reduces the polarization.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:09 am

Kinnera wrote:
Idéfix wrote:Much is being made of white people choosing Trump over Clinton. So far it looks like white people voted by 20 percent margin for Trump, same as they did for Romney. The difference was in how college educated whites voted compared to less educated white people: Trump had a slight lead in the first group and a huge lead in the second. Romney got similar levels of support from both groups. Because college educated whites tend to live in cities and bluer states for economic reasons, and less educated people live in rural areas and redder states, the same level of overall white support produced very different outcomes for Romney and Trump. This election was not about race as much as social class.

This is the key. *All races*. Hillary didn't do that. She targeted only specific groups and tried to be their champion. Naturally, the majority race of the majority religion went to Trump. Democrats should stop sucking up to the minorities/immigrants/muslims, etc and start talking in terms of *all americans*. That reduces the polarization.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the relationship between Democrats and minorities. That relationship is responsible for people like you and me being able to make a comfortable life and lead a largely peaceful existence in the US. It is responsible for removing housing discrimination and our ability to buy houses and live and work freely wherever we want. It is responsible for enabling our children to grow up in tony neighborhoods and attend the best public schools wherever we live without being segregated. By this I mean the civil rights movement of the 60s.  It's not sucking up, it is baked into their DNA as a result of transformative historical events.  It is not an accident that the country's first black president is a Democrat.  That doesn't  mean they should not work to expand their appeal but they should not abandon being the voice for immigrants, minorities and other people in the country who today feel threatened.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:56 am

Lessons

Debates don't work.
Party pretend values don't work.
Image of the candidate does not work.
Past 4/8 years don't work.
Patriotism for the country definitely never works.

The only thing that works for a voter: What's in it for me?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 am

southindian wrote:Lessons

Debates don't work.

It always has been the case. Human beings, by nature are selfish & greedy, to top it off, capitalism rewards people with those two traits. So, stop reading/watching 24x7 nonsense and brace yourself for upcoming market crash, war against some country followed by recession. Start making plans to save for rainy day.

BTW, lets' take your case; you don't like M-team, similarly, W-team doesn't like the I(mmigrants)-team. Hope this makes things clear for you.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:47 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
southindian wrote:Lessons

Debates don't work.

It always has been the case. Human beings, by nature are selfish & greedy, to top it off, capitalism rewards people with those two traits. So, stop reading/watching 24x7 nonsense and brace yourself for upcoming market crash, war against some country followed by recession. Start making plans to save for rainy day.

BTW, lets' take your case; you don't like M-team, similarly, W-team doesn't like the I(mmigrants)-team. Hope this makes things clear for you.
No it doesn't. Wrong analogy.

1. There's no such thing as W-team.

There are white democrats as well. You need to say R(epublican) team does not like immigrants.

2. The M-Team works universally that's why they are a global team. UK, France, India, Russia, USA, Germany, Australia, they are all affected by the M-Team. All affected by the common book the M-Team follows.

Still, I'm against banning Muslims immigrating to USA in a hope that once they a more in number they don't get the M-Team mentality. Hope that the American system won't let them change their agenda for USA, a fear the R-Team sold well to make Trump the President.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 am

Kinnera wrote:

** actually thanu kuda adhe antunnadu. hillary indeed targeted blacks latinos and muslims and women. when you do the math the numbers just don't add up. she was also running on her husband's glory. i know idefix calls them the "nothingburgers" but did her staff not wipe out emails and discusss national issues over personal email? if there as nothing to hide why do that?do you think if you work for a hedge fund your boss wouldn't fire you if you did that? or if you're a physician and you discuss a patient's case in an elevator you're violating HIPPA? do rules not apply to hillary? in some aspects she is like sonia gandhi; rules don't apply to these first wives. 

anyhow despite being a poor campaigner and a poor politician she does have the capacity to be a good president. but let's face it if mitt romney or bloomberg were running against her she would have had zero votes. clinton's only plan was to watch dt self-destruct; in retrospect the democratic platform  didn't really have much to offer to the nation, even to immigrants. i do agree that illegal immigrants need to be kept out, we are all legal immigrants and we all know how rigorous that process is; why should other people walk in and take away the few lower-wage jobs there are?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:26 am

My takeaways:

1. One can overanalyze and opine as much as one wants to in hindsight, NOT a thing would have been different in this "unique" election. NOT a thing, could have made a difference. 

2. It was all about a man called Donald Trump, who is so unique..NO ONE and NOT a thing (done differently) could have stopped him.

3. Polls and predictions are forever - totally untrustworthy.

4. Not to become paranoid..have always lived in the reddest states, mostly rural and kkkish places, also blackest neighborhoods..have always been myself and that means facing some prejudices from time to time and hurt feelings, use common sense to be a little careful always (that applies wherever I am..in India too) and that will continue. There is no place to hide!

5. Wait to see how Health Care (this is the most important issue for me - especially the Affordable care Act- people with preexisting conditions getting affordable health insurance), Economic Policies, Retirement and Social Security will be affected..not make any major decisions about finances/investments at this time.

6. Hope for the best.

That's about it.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:35 am

Maria S wrote:
4. Not to become paranoid..have always lived in the reddest states, mostly rural and kkkish places, also blackest neighborhoods..have always been myself and that means facing some prejudices from time to time and hurt feelings, use common sense to be a little careful always (that applies wherever I am..in India too) and that will continue. There is no place to hide!
Who was the last president that ran on white supremacy platform? If you think this is not a payback for electing a black president then we must be deluding ourselves. How do you explain, normal white folks in office environments come up to you (they assume that you're Hillary supporter because of your skin complexion) and trying to rub it in?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:38 am

5. Wait to see how Health Care (this is the most important issue for me - especially the Affordable care Act- people with preexisting conditions getting affordable health insurance), Economic Policies, Retirement and Social Security will be affected..not make any major decisions about finances/investments at this time.
That's a good list. My biggest priorities are environmental policies that affect climate change, Obamacare and trade. Trump will damage hard-won progress on all three; the question is how lasting and profound the damage will be.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:41 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:
Who was the last president that ran on white supremacy platform? If you think this is not a payback for electing a black president then we must be deluding ourselves. How do you explain, normal white folks in office environments come up to you (they assume that you're Hillary supporter because of your skin complexion) and trying to rub it in?
In the liberal bubble that is San Francisco, the office environment has been about dealing with shock. Almost every meeting starts off with coping with what has happened. White, black, Asian, desi, Latino, doesn't matter, most people are in shock. Even GOP supporters who like fiscal conservatism. Someone said at office yesterday, "this was my first election NOT voting for the GOP nominee for president."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:48 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

** actually thanu kuda adhe antunnadu. hillary indeed targeted blacks latinos and muslims and women. when you do the math the numbers just don't add up. she was also running on her husband's glory. i know idefix calls them the "nothingburgers" but did her staff not wipe out emails and discusss national issues over personal email? if there as nothing to hide why do that?do you think if you work for a hedge fund your boss wouldn't fire you if you did that? or if you're a physician and you discuss a patient's case in an elevator you're violating HIPPA? do rules not apply to hillary? in some aspects she is like sonia gandhi; rules don't apply to these first wives. 

>>>>>>>>Yes, we are ever so conscious of HIPPA. Can't even think of being negligent about it and ever so vigilant about protecting the privacy of the patient's case/medical condition. How could Hillary, as the highest govt official, as a lawyer who knows the law, be so careless, if we have to believe that it is only carelessness? Beats me!! If it isn't that, then there's something fishy there. Yes, Sonia Gandhi and the Gandhi family is who come to my mind when i think about Hillary and the Clintons. She thought she was above law and felt she can get away with it. 

anyhow despite being a poor campaigner and a poor politician she does have the capacity to be a good president. but let's face it if mitt romney or bloomberg were running against her she would have had zero votes. clinton's only plan was to watch dt self-destruct; in retrospect the democratic platform  didn't really have much to offer to the nation, even to immigrants. i do agree that illegal immigrants need to be kept out, we are all legal immigrants and we all know how rigorous that process is; why should other people walk in and take away the few lower-wage jobs there are?

>>>>>>>Her campaigning strategy was dismal. I was frustrated with it throughout. Now i feel so angry. She let the country down. 

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:00 pm

Kinnera wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

>>>>>>>>Yes, we are ever so conscious of HIPPA. Can't even think of being negligent about it and ever so vigilant about protecting the privacy of the patient's case/medical condition. How could Hillary, as the highest govt official, as a lawyer who knows the law, be so careless, if we have to believe that it is only carelessness? Beats me!! If it isn't that, then there's something fishy there. Yes, Sonia Gandhi and the Gandhi family is who come to my mind when i think about Hillary and the Clintons. She thought she was above law and felt she can get away with it. 

>>>>>>>Her campaigning strategy was dismal. I was frustrated with it throughout. Now i feel so angry. She let the country down. 

** actually naku edavalanipisthundhi. nammalenu that it is primarily an economic issue that caused him to win, i think it is just the polite excuse for the raging undercurrent of racism in this country that he fomented. i think it's beast that will take another 20 yrs to sedate. think about it: 1/2 of all the white  women and 3/5 white men you meet are coddling this bigot.  america has always been a violently racist and religious country.  really, fuck these bastards. if i get pissed off, i'm leaving.

** and one day, these guys will not only get the president they deserve, they will also get the physicians they deserve. good luck with that, you bigots.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:05 pm

Idéfix wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:
In the liberal bubble that is San Francisco, the office environment has been about dealing with shock. Almost every meeting starts off with coping with what has happened. White, black, Asian, desi, Latino, doesn't matter, most people are in shock. Even GOP supporters who like fiscal conservatism. Someone said at office yesterday, "this was my first election NOT voting for the GOP nominee for president."
I heard similar stuff before elections from fiscal conservative white folks with advanced degrees (lawyers included) but I suspect, at the end of the day, they voted for him not that it mattered in Virginia.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Idéfix wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:
In the liberal bubble that is San Francisco, the office environment has been about dealing with shock. Almost every meeting starts off with coping with what has happened. White, black, Asian, desi, Latino, doesn't matter, most people are in shock. Even GOP supporters who like fiscal conservatism.

** i work in a hospital, it's a blue state but the people i work with are physicians, ER physicians, surgeons, maybe once a mon meeting with administration: they hate everyhting about obamacare, teh compensation for physicians, etc. i understand their angst, and if it was a normal person i would've also supported a republican candidate. actually a fifth of these poeple are indinas. regardless, there is a quiet sense of contentment witht he result. so no, unfortunately i don't have the opp for catharsis. but glad to know that it is normal to feel this way.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:22 pm

Maria S wrote:My takeaways:

2. It was all about a man called Donald Trump, who is so unique..NO ONE and NOT a thing (done differently) could have stopped him.

girl, you be trippin'. sanders or biden woulda whupped his ass easy in the rust belt states.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

girl, you be trippin'. sanders or biden woulda whupped his ass easy in the rust belt states.

Biden yes. Sanders no.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Biden yes. Sanders no.
I agree. If his son hadn't died, I suspect Biden would have run. Biden wouldn't have lost PA or WI.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:11 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:

Who was the last woman President?

Even when I was very confident that Hillary could win, Mr. VP (who used to post in Sulekha) constantly told me for the past few months that above all, the US will never elect a Woman President who was married, and if they do, it would have to be a single, and masculine looking woman. That's Mr. VP, for those who know him:) 

Of course, the roots of racism in this country run deep..so does the resentment of having a two-term Black President, am not denying that..that contributed as well.

And who was the last President that ran, as we say..who has never been elected to be even a dog-catcher?
My point was that apart from the appeal of racist, sexist, divisive talk, Donald Trump's appeal is unique..he is a superstar scoundrel! *On a serious note, am concerned about the unknowns ahead.

What does one do people behave badly when their candidate wins and wants to rub it in? 
We develop thick skin, let them gloat and smile..not everyone is gracious when they win.

Have been in parties in the last few months with Indians who were fiercely supporting Trump too (including Indian women) and everyone knew I strongly supported Hillary..just had to change the topic and let it cool down for some time! What can one do:)

DUT:)

If we has to guess..what could have been..

Could say the same about Hillary facing a Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson and the 14 others..they had absolutely no star quality, and would have campaigned very differently and not crossed boundaries of civility..she could have easily won in a landslide.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:24 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

** actually naku edavalanipisthundhi. nammalenu that it is primarily an economic issue that caused him to win, i think it is just the polite excuse for the raging undercurrent of racism in this country that he fomented. i think it's beast that will take another 20 yrs to sedate. think about it: 1/2 of all the white  women and 3/5 white men you meet are coddling this bigot.  america has always been a violently racist and religious country.  really, fuck these bastards. if i get pissed off, i'm leaving.

** and one day, these guys will not only get the president they deserve, they will also get the physicians they deserve. good luck with that, you bigots
Pravu, trust me. I lived in Michigan, which was a democratic state back then. I saw more racism there than i see here in Atlanta. The whites who were all so sweet to you in the front, but digging your grave at the back were white democrats. So racism isn't limited to just one kind of political supporters. I saw reverse racism wrt blacks. Indians and asians are racist too in their own way. 

Polarization is what aggravates racism further and divides the society, imo. It then becomes us vs them. We recently had city council elections and an indian and a few asians were pitted against whites. I had some indians knock at my door (they were targeting only indian households), gave me a pamphlet and told me, 'you got to vote for her. She's our own'. I go to the gym and an asian man hands me over another pamphlet, with the pix of all the asian and the indian candidate and tells me, 'you support our people and we will give our to your candidate. We have to support each other to defeat the americans.' I was aghast! Aren't we all americans and aren't we supposed to vote for the best candidate irrespective of race, color, creed, country of origin, etc? When we polarize, others do the same too. Then we can't cry racism!

Yes, Trump on occasions said not nice things about some races and religious groups, but hillary added more to it, dodged the real issues that he raised, took a moral high ground, put him and his supporters down, and created more divisions and animosity. We are seeing the results of that now. Both are to be blamed for that.

Let's all hope that Trump takes everyone along, as promised on the election night. Let's be open. I hope things settle down soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Kinnera wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

** and one day, these guys will not only get the president they deserve, they will also get the physicians they deserve. good luck with that, you bigots
Pravu, trust me. I lived in Michigan, which was a democratic state back then. I saw more racism there than i see here in Atlanta. The whites who were all so sweet to you in the front, but digging your grave at the back were white democrats. So racism isn't limited to just one kind of political supporters. I saw reverse racism wrt blacks. Indians and asians are racist too in their own way. 

Polarization is what aggravates racism further and divides the society, imo. It then becomes us vs them. We recently had city council elections and an indian and a few asians were pitted against whites. I had some indians knock at my door (they were targeting only indian households), gave me a pamphlet and told me, 'you got to vote for her. She's our own'. I go to the gym and an asian man hands me over another pamphlet, with the pix of all the asian and the indian candidate and tells me, 'you support our people and we will give our to your candidate. We have to support each other to defeat the americans.' I was aghast! Aren't we all americans and aren't we supposed to vote for the best candidate irrespective of race, color, creed, country of origin, etc? When we polarize, others do the same too. Then we can't cry racism!

Yes, Trump on occasions said not nice things about some races and religious groups, but hillary added more to it, dodged the real issues that he raised, took a moral high ground, put him and his supporters down, and created more divisions and animosity. We are seeing the results of that now. Both are to be blamed for that.

Let's all hope that Trump takes everyone along, as promised on the election night. Let's be open. I hope things settle down soon.

I am all for things settling down and for Trump to take everyone along, but I am NOT going to let incorrect and unfair statements go unchallenged. How did Hillary add to the not nice things Trump said about some races and religious groups?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Kinnera wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

thank you for writing, kinnera. anyhow, will shut out the noise and stay offline and turn the telly off  for a few days. will feel better if i do some studying and swimming. thank you again.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Idéfix wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Biden yes. Sanders no.
I agree. If his son hadn't died, I suspect Biden would have run. Biden wouldn't have lost PA or WI.
Scranton, PA gives me a different picture altogether.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:34 pm

USA has 225 M voters. 155 M are white, 25 M Hispanic, 25 Blacks, 9 Asians and rest. Others. Whatever happened in this election, it did not change the entire population. Country was vertically split in the middle before. A small percentage of people moved to right. Country remains the same and it has strong institutions. Life for most us will not change in any noticeable way for a long time.

However govt changed. All three are controlled by Republicans. EPA, Health care act, Regulations will be severely impacted. Affirmative action and equal employment opportunity and labor laws will be fiddled with.

Law enforcement will face challenges from right wing radical forces unleashed by election process. Does the regime have the intent and will to control these forces unleashed? Even if they want to control, can they?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:25 pm

garam-kuta wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

right. clinton supporters on the other hand are the example of the tolerant.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=27f_1478817574&safe_mode=off
nobody commented on this documented demonstration of intolerance but everybody is worried about fake reports of girls attacked in Lafayette and urbana?
if the races of those attackers and the attacked in that video are reversed, this story would have been all over the media.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Given the latest, my fears don't seem far-fetched, do they? What's the next great strategy, to go after naturalized citizens?

Don’t sign away the rights you do have.

Hassan M. Ahmad, an immigration attorney in Virginia, says that in the past, he’s heard of clients who have been pressured into signing Form I-407, which allows green card holders to abandon their legal permanent residency. “Don’t sign it,” says Ahmad – who cautions that he hasn’t heard of this happening at airports yet, but is urging immigrants to be careful moving forward. “It’s important that green card holders not give up their rights to a hearing,” he says. That hearing, says Ahmad, could result in getting part of Trump’s executive order declared invalid.
http://www.teenvogue.com/story/how-immigrants-refugees-can-protect-rights-during-trumps-muslim-ban

BTW, there is a whatsapp message circulating to make your family & friends aware of their rights; even though they don't belong to these 7 countries, they might get bullied into signing form I-407.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 pm

On my way home to the US last weekend, I was detained by Homeland Security and held with others who were stranded under the Muslim ban," Bikkannavar wrote in a Facebook post shared by a friend on Twitter. "I initially refused, since it's a (NASA)-issued phone and I must protect access," Bikkannavar wrote.

"Just to be clear -- I'm a US-born citizen and NASA engineer, traveling with a valid US passport. Once they took both my phone and the access PIN, they returned me to the holding area with cots and other sleeping detainees until they finished copying my data."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/citizen-nasa-engineer-detained-at-border-trnd/

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:20 am

Don't spend all your tears in this thread, folks! Brexit, US na kaafi hain; UP aur France abhi baaki hain. (Brexit and US are not enough; Uttarpradesh and France are yet to come). Save your tears for more to come!

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:49 pm

SomeProfile wrote:Don't spend all your tears in this thread, folks! Brexit, US na kaafi hain; UP aur France abhi baaki hain. (Brexit and US are not enough; Uttarpradesh and France are yet to come). Save your tears for more to come!

Twisted Evil

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down