Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D

5 posters

Go down

Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D Empty Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D

Post by ashdoc Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 am

Two points are to be made about the film . 

For one thing , the film is like a fairy tale because many events in the film seem unlikely to have happened in real life . From the king of Mewar to have gone all the way to Singala in search of pearls demanded by his first wife only to fall in love with the princess ( who seems to be buddhist ) of that country , to him banishing a brahmin who goes all the way to Delhi to tell the sultan about the princess' beauty , and the sultan taking the king of Mewar prisoner in a lone meeting and taking him away to Delhi , to the princess going to Delhi to fetch the king back and conveniently being helped by the wife of the sultan---it all seems to be fantasy and legend . Of course , the story is based on a real invasion of sultan Allauddin Khilji on the great fortress of Chittor . The jauhar shown at the end may be real too ; after all , many times the rajput women committed jauhar when about to be captured . But the way the story has been built , it has seems to have many not too real happenings . 

The other thing is that the film has been made clearly to make to right wing happy . The movie eulogises the rajput code of chivalry to a huge extent . The rajputs shown to be noble warriors who never go against their principles and never back stab their enemies . Their bravery is shown to be exemplary even in face of incredible odds . Above all , the courage of their women is the stuff that legends are made of . When the rajput men are getting killed in battlefield , the women wear red dresses and leap into fire to be charred to ashes in order to prevent capture and violation of honour by enemy . 

In contrast , the movie hardly shows the invading turks in a good light . Above all , their sultan Allauddin Khilji is shown having an evil gleam in his penetrating kohl lined eyes . He has been acted brilliantly by Ranveer Singh . His roar of laughter is full of fiendish cruelty and his dance is full of mad gusto . He is shown to be mean and treacherous and as crafty as hell . He chomps into pieces of meat like a barbarian and lusts for women like a debauchee . He is bisexual and has a gay lover---Malik Kafur played by Jim Sarbh . 

On the other hand Maharaja Ratan Singh of Mewar is a gentleman . This gives less scope and range for acting to the person playing the role---Shahid Kapoor . Compared to Ranveer , his acting seems to be bland . Deepika Padukone pays the princess of Singala , who quickly upstages the first wife of Maharaja Ratan Singh to become chief queen of Mewar . Her acting becomes better with each passing frame and her last speech before committing jauhar did give me a small lump in my throat . Her beauty is mesmerising too , well worth an invasion or two on her kingdom for capturing her---for Allauddin invades Chittor again for her after she brings her husband back home . 

Just like director Sanjay Leela Bhansali's earlier films , the distinguishing mark of the film is great cinematography and rich colours . Great attention seems to have been paid to the clothes of each and every person , from the plain clothes worn by soldiers to the bejewelled and embroidered clothes worn by the noble ladies and the queen . Fire plays an important role in the film ; fire in both hands of the queen of Mewar as she dances on the song 'ghoomar' , fire being drunk by the insulted brahmin as he is banished from Mewar , torches of fire lighting the walls of the fort of chittor , and the great fire into which the women are led by their queen when all is lost....

The battle scenes are decent without being too spectacular , with the one to one combat scene between the two kings being good . The stomp of the horses as they gallop on the battlefield pounds the ears in dolby atmos sound . Songs and background music is okay but not memorable . 3D effects are pretty good and add to the depth and clarity of the scenes . The film does drag towards the interval because it is almost three hours long , but post interval it again holds your attention . 

Verdict---Good . 

Three and a half stars out of five .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D Empty Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 am

2 stars. Ranveer did a decent job but overacted for the most part. Deepika, a complete waste, not much for her to showcase her talent other than being lovely, obedient second but dearest wife of Ratan Singh. Ratan singh had no advisors/ministers in his court? always making decisions on his own; and was he the king of mewar region or just the fort? screenplay and editing are the worst, a story full of disconnects. On top of that there is a lot of distortion of history and over-the-top glorification of Rajputs (wonder why Karna Sena is upset about this movie); in the process Ratan Singh's character came across as a clueless dolt with zero administrative acumen. As usual, Sanjay Leela Bhansali's movie is devoid of substance and surprisingly lacked the (foolish) pomp he is popular for. Not worth a watch.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D Empty Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 pm

ashdoc wrote:
Just like director Sanjay Leela Bhansali's earlier films , the distinguishing mark of the film is great cinematography and rich colours . Great attention seems to have been paid to the clothes of each and every person , from the plain clothes worn by soldiers to the bejewelled and embroidered clothes worn by the noble ladies and the queen . 
Colors and clothes are a huge thing in Rajasthani life:

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Seen online:
So in Padmavaati, a Rajput king continues to flail on the battlefield even after beheaded. Kind of like a headless chicken then. And thusly quite appropriate
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:18 pm

any suggestions on the most useless song of the movie, just in case someone needs to, you know, step out for a couple minutes? It's a frigging 3-hour movie. Hard to last that long unless one plans ahead and goes on fluid-fasting, like 4 hours in advance.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 pm

rasāsvāda wrote:any suggestions on the most useless song of the movie, just in case someone needs to, you know, step out for a couple minutes? It's a frigging 3-hour movie. Hard to last that long unless one plans ahead and goes on fluid-fasting, like 4 hours in advance.
You will have more than one. 1. binte dil 2. holi song 3. khalibali

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Personally, I think its unethical to twist history. Jodha Akbar, and now this.

Using movies as a "creative" media to twist historical facts is plain and simple unethical to the least, and a crime to mankind on other extreme.

Put another way, if someone made a movie on this movie maker (Sanjay Leela Bhansali?) in 2060 and showed him as someone who he is not, would it not an injustice to him?

Put yet another way, if someone made a movie on Bhagat Singh, showing him in love with a girl as the primary theme, a movie full of huge sets, and fairy tale songs - would you accept it?

This film maker is simply "using" historical figures to make money.

Shameless!

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 pm

1 - finally it got available on movie pass

2 - can't believe i blocked 5, then 4, then 3, then 2 seats on fandango from 3-4 hours before the movie, just so that i could buy it for free on movie pass. Reality check. I need a life. Or a boyfriend. Whichever comes first. While going to my seat, i smugly checked out two other solo watchers like me, for whom i blocked prime seats until 30 minutes before the movie. maybe i should have asked them to pay me extra. 

3 - *yawn* I mean the movie was overall a yawn. I don't remember the last time i have yawned so much in a movie, and almost dozed off in one of the last songs. I think i low-key lost it when they made Khilji dance.

4 - i remember watching movie or movies as a kid when rajputs would lose wars and women would do jauhar. But those were more 'realistic' in timeline. Not like closing the door or a running king before the last one jumps in. On another note, trust Rajasthani folks to do everything in style, and fully and completely, and traditionally. If their women have to die, they will not just die, no they will do so in a big ass bonfire. Guess that's what made them famous... too bad they didn't know when to stop with the sati practice, which was not the same as jauhar. On second thoughts, why didn't they secretly move their women and children to other neutral kingdoms, when they knew war was coming for months. Secret tunnels and all. 

5 - i have grown up around rajputs and there were so many scenes which rang true, and at the same time there were so many scenes that made me cringe. NO WAY some of the things they showed would happen. Show their queen's face to a muslim barbaric ruler? Have rajput warriors go dressed as women? Now that's another one I want to search up in history. And more, can't think of right now. 

6 - on the plus side, actors and the director did a great job. Almost all actors, even in supportive role had impactful and memorable scenes. Many scenes were mega, the kind that stay in your memory for a while. Special mention to ranveer singh for performance, it was so much his movie (maybe they should have named the movie Khilji, not Padmavati, and none of this controversy would have happened), and Deepika looked wow. great costumes throughout. The last scene was powerful. 

this is probably one of those movies that I hated as a whole, but will fondly recall few scenes here or there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 am

why didn't they secretly move their women and children to other neutral kingdoms

This was a problem that Hindu and Sikh women faced during partition too. You must be remembering the movies Khamosh Pani and Pinjar (latter based on novel by Amrita Pritam). The novelist Urvashi Butalia has speculated that there is something about Hinduism that makes a woman proprietary to a man, in a way that transcends this and seven lives, that she cannot be shared by others. Islam, on the other hand, mandates no such bond between a man and a woman and women can, hahaha, to use mathematics, form 2^n relations with men if they are n in number. 

So, as per daddy, there is trouble every time you lose sight of 50:50 or 1/2 and no law should be so inflexible that a human loses the right to defend himself. If a chance is given to a woman to defend herself, and if she still wishes to commit jauhar, or the mob insists she commit jauhar, then she should. I know this sounds like faulty reasoning, but no one is greater than the mob, even when the mob is mad. It does not mean you should not fight the mob. It means it is OK even if you lose. 

We saw the movie yesterday. It was the first time in our lives that our son took us out for a movie. I found the sets in the movie mesmerizing. Filmography was good. The movie was average. 

Meditation helps! I had a brief glimpse of Buddha yesterday while meditating. He said -- if you think the world is entirely in your mind, you are wrong. I wasn't surprised. I just accepted that my thoughts had been waylaid. I was non judgmental. The more I meditate, the closer I will get to the mind. The mind is the only thing that is not entirely in the universe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 am

Smart tv classroom. Truly, technology is an enabler. Integrates with streaming, learning programs online that are fun.

Ashdoc's movie review---Padmaavat 3D Img-2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down