Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women

5 posters

Go down

Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women Empty Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women

Post by Maria S Fri May 25, 2012 9:54 am

I think Ms. Rekha Ganesan is the Garbo of Indian Cinema..attractive as ever.

Putting politics/qualifications aside, think Rekha is still sexy and elegant at close to 60..and like I her saree! Jaya Bachchan who is her peer in so many ways- looks fine, but can't seem to hide her disdain and contempt for Rekha and makes her seem less (knowing the whole world is watching as the cameras will focus on her face)..less attractive, imo!

This is a very adoring ode to her..but, do agree with some parts of it!

http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/an-ode-to-rekha-our-newest-mp-314718.html

Excerpts:

Indian women as they grow older either shrink contentedly into their roles or
break their mould to intrigue the world. Rekha lead the bandwagon cheekily
saying I reinvent myself, therefore I am.

She exudes sexuality but remains untouchable. She is the one Bollywood icon
whose present is a legend. The beauty of her skill, like Amitabh, lay in the
fact that they remained perennial by being distinctly protean. Yet while Amitabh
suffers from "seriousity" to coin a necessary word, there is about Rekha a touch
of innocence, of play, of laughter seeking to state, `I am me, figure out what
you will'.

Rekha has shades of Mata Hari, the parliamentarian as the forbidden fruit, a
visual relief from the grossness of everyday. People may not remember what
Pranab said about para 14 of the budget but they will know that her Kanjeevaram
saree was a golden shade. Rekha is a reminder that women are de-facto
legislators, defining the body, defining the feminine, summoning the erotic and
even seducing old age. For Rekha, life is the Olay. She thrives on it.

From India's child bride to multi-millionaire..

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-18186908

Just read about Ms. Kalpana Saroj's inspiring story today!

She certainly has overcome a lot of challenges Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women 459784477
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women Empty Re: Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women

Post by Maria S Fri May 25, 2012 10:59 am

Hmm..no responses?

Not even one comment about.. not even Rekha- good or bad?

Hmm, interesting.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women Empty Re: Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 25, 2012 11:07 am

yes i have response-ji. why rekha-ji taking oath in angreji instead of rastra basha-ji? is she traitor?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 25, 2012 11:35 am

I don't know-ji! As far as I am concerned, she is Rekha-ji, and she can do what she wants to-ji!

Frankly, I am trying to participate here when I can, among other sites..and I don't follow all that goes on in this forum or anywhere! It does take some effort to post here, as anywhere. Speaking for myself- fresh and positive stories, energy and feedback motivate me to return and participate often (at least not too much sarcasm, cynicism, arguments which are quite draining).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 11:39 am

The second story is awesome. We do need more stories like this.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 am

Thank you Carvaka!

*And I like that.."if you don't have anything positive to say about the first story- leaving it alone is okay"- attitude:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Maria S wrote:
I think Ms. Rekha Ganesan is the Garbo of Indian Cinema..attractive as ever.
how does that qualify her for membership in the rajya sabha?
Maria S wrote:putting politics/qualifications aside,...
why do you put politics and qualifications aside in this context?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 pm

why do you put politics and qualifications aside in this context?

*Because I wanted to, I did not select and appoint her, and it is what it is.

Feel free to do whatever you want to with the politics and her qualifications! You won't hear any defense of her/arguments from me.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Maria S wrote:I don't know-ji! As far as I am concerned, she is Rekha-ji, and she can do what she wants to-ji!

Frankly, I am trying to participate here when I can, among other sites..and I don't follow all that goes on in this forum or anywhere! It does take some effort to post here, as anywhere. Speaking for myself- fresh and positive stories, energy and feedback motivate me to return and participate often (at least not too much sarcasm, cynicism, arguments which are quite draining).

>>>I agree with Charvaka. The 2nd story is very inspiring. That's not to dis those in the first story- just not that much of a bollywood buff. Thanks.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 26, 2012 8:53 am

Obviously, the second story is really the "only" inspiring story here! Had the opportunity to listen to the Nobel winner Dr. Muhammad Yunus speak to a group of young people..quite recently. Wish there were more people like him (a simple, yet a 'colorful' man..a multicultural ladies man- with his share of controversies!)..who can come up with ways to lend money to women who are from disadvantaged areas/groups like Ms. Kalpana..and let become Entrepreneurs. If I had to pick a wish today..would really want to do that, if I could!

I am a patron (!) of Cinema..but, disconnected to Bollywood! This news item was all over in the social network pages..could not ignore it (because it was Rekha!), no different from Pres. Reagan, Gov. Arnold, US Senator Fred Thompson, CMs MGR and Jayalalitha and a multitude of other well known international movie artists who were/are also politicians.

Speaking of can't ignore..the "third woman"- in the life of Bachchans..is all over the news today..with scrutiny/adoration of the new Mother and Ex-Ms. Universe..looks she is grabbing attention from the International media more than anyone else at Cannes 2012!

To me, Aishwarya had a nice figure (do not think her face is that beautiful- but apparently lots of people do!) and it's nice to see her not lose the pregnancy weight too quickly, take her time and flaunt her curves. Never thought the choice of her attires were that great (for example compared to Rekha..who has better taste-dress consultants)..but, am not a fashion expert:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2150180/Aishwarya-Rai-isn-t-letting-cruel-weight-jibes-spoil-baby-bliss.html

Have a good weekend everyone!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 26, 2012 9:06 am

*Ms. World not Ms. Universe.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 12:06 pm

texas for the links maria. i did not know that kalpana saroj turned kamani tubes around. they were close to being written off when i had just joined business and am surprised to hear that saroj bought it out and turned it around! (but anyway, i know so little.) i full endorse her following comment:

kalpana saroj wrote:"I was highly disappointed and realised that money did matter in life, and that I needed to make more."

i wish i had followed that advice. she talks like an upper caste and i think like a dalit.

on another note, just yesterday my wife remarked to me that rekha was finally looking old (as if to say she was waiting for her to look old and that rekha was taking a helluva long time!). but i disagree with your observations on jaya. i kind of hold her in high regard and in the clip she looked as -- or maybe more -- dignified than rekha. and she is certainly not trying to make rekha look less dignified! you are a product of press gossip! a few days ago my wife told me that jaya and rekha had been offered adjacent seats in RS but jaya objected. i took her aajtak reporting with a pinch of salt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat May 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Maria S wrote:

From India's child bride to multi-millionaire..

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-18186908

Just read about Ms. Kalpana Saroj's inspiring story today!

She certainly has overcome a lot of challenges Transitions- Two Remarkable Indian Women 459784477
i read saroj's story today. here's the part that's relevant to her becoming a multimillionaire:

at the age of 16, she moved back to Mumbai to stay with an uncle and work as a tailor.

She began by earning less than a dollar a month, but tirelessly learnt how to operate industrial sewing machines, and as a result saw her income rise.

She took a government loan to open a furniture business and expand her tailoring work.

She worked 16 hours a day, a routine she has not managed to shake off to this day.

In the following years, she remarried, this time to a fellow furniture businessman, and had two children.

Her reputation led to her being asked to take over the running of a metal engineering company, Kamani Tubes, which was in massive debt.

By restructuring the company, she turned things around.

"I wanted to give justice to the people who were working there. I had to save the company. I could relate to the staff who needed to put food on the table for their family," she says of her motivations at the time.

Now, Kamani Tubes is a growing business, worth more than $100m.

that appears to be bad reporting by bbc news. how did saroj restructure the company? how did she pay off the creditors? why did the creditors agree to let her "take over the running" of the company? did she have a reputation for turning around failed companies or running a metal engineering company? why is it a "growing business now?" what is she doing now that the kamanis were not doing earlier?

there's something wrong with this story; some highly pertinent part -possibly about labour problems with a mainly dalit workforce - is missing.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:there's something wrong with this story; some highly pertinent part -possibly about labour problems with a mainly dalit workforce - is missing.

ugh, ungle, you are getting needlessly excited. there is no such thing as a "dalit workforce" in organized, high-end industry here, esp. mumbai, unless the promoter is a dalit. kamani tubes was a reputed name. it had business flaws and it got sold for a song after years in turmoil excarbetated by the license raj. do you want take up a challenge here? say yes or no in reply. i don't mind losing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 5:09 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: a few days ago my wife told me that jaya and rekha had been offered adjacent seats in RS but jaya objected. i took her aajtak reporting with a pinch of salt.

aaaoooo, there is some truth to what my wife said (but over hyped still): http://www.siasat.com/english/news/rs-goes-glam-lakshman-rekha-divides-jaya

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 27, 2012 6:53 am

i don't understand the fascination with this lovvu triangle. don't you guys ever get bored? will you follow the three into the geriatric and alzheimers-stricken ward too?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 am

It seems folks like Maria and my wife will never tire of it. Count me out. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 9:03 am

Rekha looks very beautiful and graceful at 57. Remarkable! She still loves Amitabh with all her heart and cherishes her time with him (She herself said so in her interview with Simi). Good for her! Love is always a positive thing.
Jaya, on the other hand, looks ugly what with her facial expressions. Looks like she still holds a grudge against Rekha even at her matured age of 64. Poor woman!

PS1:The second story is nice.

PS2: Count me in along with Maria and Mrs. Kapasi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:there's something wrong with this story; some highly pertinent part -possibly about labour problems with a mainly dalit workforce - is missing.

ugh, ungle, you are getting needlessly excited. there is no such thing as a "dalit workforce" in organized, high-end industry here, esp. mumbai, unless the promoter is a dalit. kamani tubes was a reputed name. it had business flaws and it got sold for a song after years in turmoil excarbetated by the license raj. do you want take up a challenge here? say yes or no in reply. i don't mind losing.
here's what a news item from the economic times of july 29, 2011 says:

"Navinbhai Kamani... had handed over his embattled company to workers in 1988, after a prolonged spell of labour trouble."

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-07-29/news/29829281_1_dalit-kamani-tubes-ktl

that's what i had suspected and stated in my post. i was right, you were wrong, and you lost. i suppose that's alright, because you say that you don't mind losing.

btw, the metal tube manufacturing industry would not be considered a "high-end" industry. aircraft manufacturing (boeing), yes; drug development and manufacture (pfizer), yes; development and manufacture of microprocessors (intel) and computers (hp), yes; but not the manufacture of metal tubes.

you might also attend to this:

100 times:

exacerbated, not excarbetated

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 1:11 pm

ugh, ungle, you are right and i lose. if you have the inclination, do kindly revisit your earlier post and see for yourself what exactly you meant.

p.s. i know how to spell excarbetated.

p.s.2. saroj bought out kamani tubes after 10 years of its closure (20 years to be factual). so, to dismiss your "insinuations," there is little "labour workforce" she inherited. she inherited a lot of debt, true, but i suspect it had already been written off by the lending bankers! this is the beauty of the indian system.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: drug development and manufacture (pfizer), yes

lol, you have too much iron content in your blood ungle. and you are quoting pfizer. they might be manufacturing some iron reduction pills or an "ayurvedic" pill for it. send them an email. ja?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am

Mr. HK,

You can certainly disagree with me! I think Jaya was a good actress- dignified and charming, in real life- don't know anything about her, assumptions are only based on outward appearances! I have not been following the sagas of Bachchans or Rekha closely for a long time! Since they are active in Politics now, have been coming across news stories about them.

*Having said that..I do have some interest in them like Mrs. HK, about their real life relationships (Rekha, Amitabh, Jaya) who are heavy weight stars/celebrities, each in their own right..tangled in some way..perhaps like Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, Liz Taylor and her many men, Bill and Hillary Clinton and their many women (!),not to mention Prince Charles and Diana/Camilla etc.

I don't know if there is any cut off age for love stories (as much as many of this members are strictly youth-oriented and think older people should be "dead people walking"Smile, and old age somehow automatically means Dementia and Alzheimer's!). In the real world, real love stories don't have an expiry date, transcending the merely physical perhaps makes it alluring..even in this time of Kim Kadarshians and Jen Los' relationships, not to mention dramatically increasing divorce rates in Indian Communities..these looonng term unconventional marriages and relationships..have some human appeal!

*As for Ms. Kalpana Saroj..besides good business luck the saying "show me a successful businessman- there are a thousand secret deals and arrangements behind the scenes" comes to mind..for a successful businesswoman..the secrets are perhaps many times more!

If it was that easy like simple math or simple business strategies and deals (which can be revealed in public!)..every person would be making zillions!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 am

Was looking up some quotes from From Katherine Hepburn:

*One can agree/disagree with them!

Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are
expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies.
But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love
and cannot help giving.

• Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever
happens to you, you have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final
analysis, you have got to not forget to laugh.

_______

And a few from Tony Morrison, who is among those- who will be recieving the Presidential
Medal of Freedom today at the WH:

Do they still call it infatuation? That magic ax that chops away the world in
one blow, leaving only the couple standing there trembling? Whatever they call
it, it leaps over anything, takes the biggest chair, the largest slice, rules
the ground wherever it walks, from a mansion to a swamp, and its selfishness is
its beauty.... People with no imagination feed it with sex -- the clown of love.
They don't know the real kinds, the better kinds, where losses are cut and
everybody benefits. It takes a certain intelligence to love like that -- softly,
without props.

~From- Love

Love is divine only and difficult always. If you think it is easy you are a
fool. If you think it is natural you are blind. It is a learned application
without reason or motive except that it is God.

~ From- Paradise

*Really like this one!

At some point in life the world's beauty becomes enough. You don't need to photograph, paint or even remember it. It is enough. No record of it needs to be kept and you don't need someone to share it with or tell it to. When that happens — that letting go — you let go because you can.

~From Tar Baby
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue May 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Maria S wrote:Was looking up some quotes from From Katherine Hepburn:

*One can agree/disagree with them!
that covers everyone, doesn't it?

let me make a prediction: it will rain tonight, or it will not.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue May 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Your always thoughtful and intelligent comments are much appreciated.

I thought it was the opposite..my comments do not "cover" anything, but makes it "transparent"..that when it comes abstract thoughts about relationships, love, life in general..there are no right or wrong answers. And if somebody is itching to contradict the thoughts expressed- don't expect me to argue, justify, explain etc!

The last time I checked..there was nothing abstract about stuff falling from the sky..rain being tangible, accurately measurable- unlike the abstract stuff.

Do you have your own views about love, life, self..anything- seriously abstract? Let me be transparent again and say..will simply read them.

I liked this quote from Ms. Morrison...a lot:

"A dead language is not only one no longer spoken or written, it is unyielding language content to admire its own paralysis. Like statist language, censored and censoring. Ruthless in its policing duties, it has no desire or purpose other than maintaining the free range of its own narcotic narcissism, its own exclusivity and dominance. However moribund, it is not without effect for it actively thwarts the intellect, stalls conscience, suppresses human potential. Unreceptive to interrogation, it cannot form or tolerate new ideas, shape other thoughts, tell another story, fill baffling silences.

~TONI MORRISON, Nobel Lecture, Dec. 7, 1993
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down