To Max Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Max

5 posters

Go down

To Max Empty To Max

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 pm

===> Sometime back, you were full of praise for your SriLankan Tamil classmates at IIT for having performed exceedingly well in their studies there.

You also mentioned that they did not come through JEE. Apparently they were admitted based on their high school marks alone.

Then why are you mad at Kabil Sibal for coming up with an admission criteria which will include both the JEE score and the plus-2 marks?

This is certainly better than merely letting someone in based on their 12th grade marks alone.

Why this double standard, one for foreigners and the other for Indian citizens?

What makes you think that the kids who get into IIT under Sibal's scheme won't perform?

BTW in 1970s, they used to admit into IIT kids who stood university first or second in their pre-university exams regardless of what their JEE scores were.

The irony is this. University of Madras had at least 10,000 students through their affliated colleges in their Pre-university course. Whereas Annamalai university, a single campus university had only 200 students in their PUC.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

To Max Empty Re: To Max

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:

What makes you think that the kids who get into IIT under Sibal's scheme won't perform?

BTW in 1970s, they used to admit into IIT kids who stood university first or second in their pre-university exams regardless of what their JEE scores were.

because the sri lankan tamil kids were the exception to the rule. nearly everyone else admitted through non-JEE means (the GOIN quota which has since been abolished) struggled. further, i went through the TN state board education and i know how pathetic the examinations were. nearly everything that the final exams tested you on was based on rote learning, even in physical science subjects and mathematics! scoring high on the final exam is no indication of aptitude or preparation for a challenging career in engineering or the physical sciences. many indian high school boards are probably similar to the TN state board.

btw there is no such thing as a "JEE score". nobody ever knows their JEE score. you have made some similar comment in another thread where you said someone "flunked" their chemistry JEE. at best this is a guess.

also my question about kapil sibal is not only because i disagree with him, but because i want to know about his credentials and qualifications to be making such critically important judgments. as far as i can tell he is some kind of lawyer turned politician and bureaucrat and doesn't have even a basic degree in any physical science or engineering discipline. and i want to know what if any countervailing opinions have been expressed by the IIT faculty themselves.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 30, 2012 6:24 am

i have to confess i don't know much about this sibal character, but articles like this don't give much confidence:

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/india-asks-google-facebook-others-to-screen-user-content/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed May 30, 2012 1:55 pm

The guy who went to MIT told me that he did not do well on the Chemistry exam on the JEE.

This was his assessment based how well he felt he had done on the exam.

So I thought he might have flunked the exam.

He also told me that by the time he really took the IIT JEE, he got the offer from MIT. So he was not really that motivated to take the JEE.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed May 30, 2012 3:03 pm

this kapil sibal monkey is just another corrupt, bumbling idiot that's clearly out of depth on anything to do with education and technology among other things. trashmun might find something to adore of this fucktard so we should brace ourselves for the resultant fallout for next 10 days.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 30, 2012 3:19 pm

most of the sri lankan tamil students who entered IIT took the cambridge O-level exams. the syllabus as i remember them describing it to me is a far cry and way more advanced than the piddly TN state board math and physics syllabi.

here is some current information on the cambridge O-level math syllabus including some sample exams:

http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/middlesec/olevel/subject?assdef_id=924
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed May 30, 2012 9:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:most of the sri lankan tamil students who entered IIT took the cambridge O-level exams. the syllabus as i remember them describing it to me is a far cry and way more advanced than the piddly TN state board math and physics syllabi.

here is some current information on the cambridge O-level math syllabus including some sample exams:

http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/middlesec/olevel/subject?assdef_id=924

===> A-level exams are tougher than O-level exams.

I have heard of people bragging about having passed A-level exams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Certificate_of_Education

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:most of the sri lankan tamil students who entered IIT took the cambridge O-level exams. the syllabus as i remember them describing it to me is a far cry and way more advanced than the piddly TN state board math and physics syllabi.

that maybe so (and it is somewhat tangential to our discussion here) and some sri lankans probably take that too, but i was giving you a context as to why i think admitting sri lankan tamil students into IIT without the JEE is not the same as taking say a TN state board student simply based on his/her class 12 exam scores without the JEE
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:

O level is now replaced by GCSE in most places and is the preliminary examination (like class X) before the IB or A level exams which are the equivalent of class XII exam and qualifies one to attend college.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

btw there is no such thing as a "JEE score". nobody ever knows their JEE score. you have made some similar comment in another thread where you said someone "flunked" their chemistry JEE. at best this is a guess.

Not really. If you knew the right "inside" people, they could find the scores of someone. Very selectively and rarely, though.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 31, 2012 2:45 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Not really. If you knew the right "inside" people, they could find the scores of someone. Very selectively and rarely, though.
What would the point of knowing one's raw score be? It's a competitive exam, and all that matters is the relative performance reflected in the AIR.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 am

panini press wrote:What would the point of knowing one's raw score be? It's a competitive exam, and all that matters is the relative performance reflected in the AIR.

it helps the student evaluate his performance. my son got his comedk score on the internet including how he had answered on each question in each subject with the correct answer and marks displayed. he managed to answer only 45 out of 60 questions in math in 60 minutes (no one in his hall managed to answer all 60) but his physics and chemistry scores drastically lifted his overall score. i will ask him if the iit-jee result on the internet is also displayed in a similar fashion.

i agree it is a relative performance and of not much consequence otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:btw there is no such thing as a "JEE score". nobody ever knows their JEE score. you have made some similar comment in another thread where you said someone "flunked" their chemistry JEE. at best this is a guess.

wrong!
read my last post. iit-jee scores are displayed on the net in exactly the same fashion as comedk scores. times have changed. mulaiazhagi is right. you can possibly "flunk" in chem. this also answers panini press's question. if you are taking iit-jee again next year, you will know which subject to concentrate in next time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 3:58 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: he managed to answer only 45 out of 60 questions in math in 60 minutes (no one in his hall managed to answer all 60)

the first 45 i meant (it was clear in his score as i could see). bad move by him. he should have selected the easy ones to answer instead of progressing liberally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 4:16 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:btw there is no such thing as a "JEE score". nobody ever knows their JEE score. you have made some similar comment in another thread where you said someone "flunked" their chemistry JEE. at best this is a guess.

wait a minute! iit's have always published their jee scores!

kamal sinha wrote:Now I was here at IIT with a JEE rank of about 250, wondering how I got in. One day I went to the admissions office and asked about my score on JEE and was directed to a posting on the wall. There hung all the total scores. Karmarkar had scores 271 out of 300, followed by Gurjar at 270. To my surprise, if my memory serves me right, a score of about 150 was good enough for rank around 500. Clearly there is a vast difference between the scores of #1 ranked person and say #1000 ranked person.

from: http://www.kamalsinha.com/iit/iit-jee.html kamal sinha graduated from iit-mumbai in early 80s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 4:21 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:the first 45 i meant (it was clear in his score as i could see). bad move by him. he should have selected the easy ones to answer instead of progressing liberally.

linearly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 4:32 am

http://www.iitkgp.ernet.in/jee/

To Max Iit10

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Thu May 31, 2012 7:05 am

from: http://www.kamalsinha.com/iit/iit-jee.html kamal sinha graduated from iit-mumbai in early 80s[/quote]

If the goal is to find a Ramanujan or even a dozen Ramanujans, perhaps a test like JEE is best for that. If, however, if the goal is to find 1000 or so good applicants to educate in IITs, JEE appears to be a bad tool.

===> Kamal Sinha is an over educated idiot.

Ramanujun would have never made it to IIT through JEE.

He could not even pass his intermediate exams on science.

His only passion was Mathematics. He did not care about other subjects.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu May 31, 2012 7:15 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:http://www.iitkgp.ernet.in/jee/

To Max Iit10

i stand corrected. this is a welcome change from my dinosaur era. yes, clearly i was unaware of it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum