Gabby wins Gold! Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabby wins Gold!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gabby wins Gold! Empty Gabby wins Gold!

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Great to see to *Gabby Douglas win the individual-all around Gold clap !

First *African-American (as all the news sites fondly say- first "colored" woman) to win all-around gold..

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/gymnastics/story/2012-08-02/gabby-douglas-aly-raisman-olympic-gymnastics-all-around/56704226/1

This image (from a day ago) is amazing!

http://timeolympics.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/120730130017.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1

All the women all-around gold medalists..were/are so great watch.. the lovely great- Nadia Comaneci came to mind!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Gabby wins Gold! Empty Re: Gabby wins Gold!

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Yes..and the other fav Michael the Great (next to Jordan, of course!) wins Gold too!

It has been a good year for all my sports picks/favs this year..NOT perfect, but pretty good:)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/michael-phelps-ryan-lochte-200-im-2012_n_1734498.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 pm

couldn't you have put a spoiler alert and not given it away in the title? anyway what has always surprised me about the gymnastics coverage was that the media never even spoke of her as a contender for a medal let alone gold. it was always about the other two. weird. now i'll surely watch tonight.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:couldn't you have put a spoiler alert and not given it away in the title? anyway what has always surprised me about the gymnastics coverage was that the media never even spoke of her as a contender for a medal let alone gold. it was always about the other two. weird. now i'll surely watch tonight.

I am not NBC news..for whatever silly reasons (well, blatantly business/money making with a bigger audience reasons) does not want to show all the events "live" in 2012, when the rest of the world is showing it live...and the anchors say "close your eyes, close your ears" with a spoiler alert..like we are children looking at some forbidden scenes..while one is getting all kinds of breaking news-results via cell phones, flashing on all the computer screens! Frankly, the day I hide my enthusiasm about anything I am really happy and excited about...let's just say..it just isn't me or I am ill.

Anyways, all I heard was "Jordyn Wieber, America's next darling"..(never heard of Gabby or any other female gymnyst until I saw the US team a few days ago)..

Gabby's story is nice- true multiracial American story and the people who helped her to get where sh is..her biological mother who made so many sacrifices..the host mom, she was sent away to stay with..and train for 3 years - the good relationship between both Moms..(black and white) the Chinese coach..and her father serves in the Military..good to "their girl" do so well..and so many people helped her!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Typos..can't edit them now.

*Gymnast

*She

*Good to see that

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Never heard of these two boxers..but, this Indian boxer's win over the US Boxer is interesting..

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/02/olympics-vijenderkumar-boxing-idINDEE8710JP20120802
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Komova's floor routine was impressive, as well. Finished, she stood at the center of the arena staring intently at the scoreboard, fingertips pressed to her lips, teammate Aliya Mustafina rubbing her shoulder. When the final standings flashed, Komova dropped her head and headed to the sidelines, tears falling.

====> Gabby was very good. However, I think she being an African American must have influenced the judges' decision. It is the first time an African American woman have come this far in Gymnastics. It was so close between Victoria Komova and Gabby Douglas.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
====> Gabby was very good. However, I think she being an African American must have influenced the judges' decision. It is the first time an African American woman have come this far in Gymnastics. It was so close between Victoria Komova and Gabby Douglas.

Well Sara,

That's the way it goes..all things seem "almost equal" and it's subjective judging..if a minority person (*in this case racial minority) wins, it's because she/he is a minority in the eyes of the majority...and if the majority person wins the minority folks will say it is because she/he is from the majority group.

Although I am no expert, I tried to looked at the routines, as objectively as I could and I thought the Russian gymnasts were amazing in all the routines- equal, but, Gabby's performance on the balance beam absolutely stood out as spectacular.

Leaving aside the performances..can't help but admire see this young lady who is quite a person.. gentle and mature for her age..there is no drama..she is cool, calm seems totally unaffected so far.. by all of it.

We often talk about parents pushing children..here it seems like the reverse..it really "took a village"..a child wanting to go and pursue her interests..a mother giving in with all her hardships..and the child was self-disciplined, worked her little heart out..managed to hold her family
together- did not cause any problems to the host family and her own family (*everyone knows how easily teenage girls can put "two women-mothers" at odds and create huge problems) she listened to all the elders who gave her advice- had a nice calm Chinese coach- who seems like he was a great motivating "gentleman"- the calming force..quite remarkable indeed!

As they say..it "all came together"..perfectly for her.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:43 am

Oh..too bad..thought this young lady Saina may win a gold or silver for India..hope she can get at least the bronze now:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/london-olympics-after-valiant-fight-saina-nehwal-loses-in-semifinal/983314/

*In other news..in basketball..what can I say..go USA..go LeBron, Carmelo, Kobe and all! Ha- just 83! blah, blah..(I know, the really tough games are ahead!)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--team-usa-routs-nigeria-by-83-points--coach-k-ired-at-question.html

As immune/resistant as I wanted to be..have a bad case of Olympic fever..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 am

Breaking news (for those who care)!

Vijay Kumar gets India its 2nd medal, wins Silver in Men's 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Event! Yeah clap

But, who is Vijay Kumar?

http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/149504-Vijay-Kumar-India-s-Top-meter-Rapid-Fire.aspx

Nice list of accomplishments.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:28 am

Come on you'all..not even one person here is excited about India winning a Silver Crying or Very sad ..give him some credit! *sigh* and *sigh*

Ok then..this is my Olympics thread now..will keep posting updates!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 am

wanna copy the chineej... win a gold, or no congratulations for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:44 am

Please Natalia..

This man is a "real" Indian soldier too! Proud of him!

If this happened in the US- a military person winning anything in the Olympics- he would be an instant superstar..praises and money would be pouring in..everyone uniting..Republicans, Democrats, Lobbyists, Corporations, Labor Unions all screaming together..USA # 1(deservedly so!)

*Will wait for the Olympics medal event to post image.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 am

was kidding. seeing an outpour of love on FB already. He is kinda good looking too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:54 am

Smile

It's about time..the man gets some love from the public (never heard about him or seen him before!)

He is cute-nice looking!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:28 am

A nice (apparently one of the longest) tennis matches ever in the Olympics- live between Federer and Del Potra:

Third (final set)- 15-15

*I like Federer..but, does not matter..if he wins/not.

And it's nice to just to take a day off- stay home on a friday..relax and watch some of the events live- posting on line..interacting in Fb with others watching as well!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:46 am

Wow..4 hours +..and 17-17 now.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Cute- Nice looking and the GREAT one wins again (advances to Finals):

Federer 19-17.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 pm

More tennis news (if anyone cares!)

Serena advances to the Finals: It's Serena vs. Maria

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/serena-williams-beats-azarenka-olympic-172450566--oly.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Perhaps the greatest Olympic swimmer - I would see in my lifetime:

Michael Phelps adds yet another historic gold medal to his resume in the 100-meter butterfly final.

In the final individual Olympic event (since he plans to retire after this).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/michael-phelps-gold-threepeat-olympics-fly_n_1738821.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Here's the pic of Vijay Kumar- with his Silver and other medalists:

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Vijay+Kumar/Olympics+Day+7+Shooting/ya4byTUgsj_

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 am

Finally..some live coverage..ready to watch:

Serena vs. Maria

Has the same aura of Breakfast at Wimbledon- Championships..two great champions and like them both, but, obviously..go USA!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:42 am

Happy-YEAH USA!!

Serena vs. Maria: 6- 0, 6-1

Fantastic Serena!Sheer dominance and brilliance..and an amazing golden olympic win! I don't know if your mother said "it looks like it's going to rain and it may be a good day for you or play well, don't worry about the Russian girl" or not....you just could not do all you did- all "by yourself" (and there was no one subjectively judging you because you are who you are either!)

And to do it..at Center Court at Wimbledon..for a tennis player/US Fan..does not get better than this clap !

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 am

Oh, Oh in Basketball..USA is in trouble (4th quarter)..vs. Lithuania..

Wish Kobe did not trash talk against the "US Dream Team" (the one- who proved to be one..so far!)..

We'll see..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:12 am

Maria S wrote:Happy-YEAH USA!!

Serena vs. Maria: 6- 0, 6-1

dog bites man.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:18 am

And man does not mind news about..nice gentle and sweet bites..chella kadis.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:31 am

Yeah! USA made it.. Dog somehow bites man Very Happy !

99-94

You did good LeBron!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/basketball/mens-preliminary-round-group-a-bkm400a11.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:55 am

Maria S wrote:
Yeah! USA made it.. Dog somehow bites man Very Happy !

99-94

You did good LeBron!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/basketball/mens-preliminary-round-group-a-bkm400a11.html

these guys were playing like it's some backyard hoops shooting with their kids' neighborhood pals. didn't look like a serious game.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:37 pm

I just hope these guys don't take anything for granted.

Here's Serena with her gold (if anyone is interested)..and being Serena:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--flag-mishap-doesn-t-dampen-serena-williams--golden-moment-at-olympics.html

Excerpts:

She was standing on top of a Centre Court podium, the gold in women's singles around her neck, "The Star Spangled Banner" playing loud and her eyes locked on the American flag raising triumphantly in the air. Suddenly, one of those powerful gusts of British wind came through, the flag came undone and, without warning, the Stars and Stripes began floating through the air, right toward the tennis great.

"I just saw all these gusts of winds," Williams later said as she began to laugh. "Then I saw the flag flying. It was probably flying to hug me … It was fluttering towards me trying to wrap its fabric around me."
With Williams now 30 and battling so many health issues of late, the 2016 Games in Rio are no guarantee. She's had foot injuries, back injuries, a scare of hematoma.
"At one point I thought I just want to get out of the hospital," Williams said. "I never even thought I'd play tennis again."

She's now back to being the best in the world and having a victory lap of sorts.
"It made me a better person and who knows perhaps a better player," she said. "Who knows if I would've had this desire to do well? I really do believe that everything happens for a reason. So I'm glad I was able to get up from that."

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:38 am

Watching Men's Tennis Championship match now..

*I really like Federer (who wouldn't- he is perhaps the greatest of all time!)

But, I am going to support Murray is this one (for him, for the host country, and for the great Ivan Lendl- Andy's coach who never won Wimbledon)
It is def. not going to be easy..when Roger is in form!

Go Murray!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:53 am

Maria
thanks for that bit of info on murray's coach. It would nice for murray and lendl to win thefinals at wimbledon.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 am

My pleasure TBT!

What can I say...on this day- Man bites Dog..in 3 straight sets.

Murray vs. Federer: 6-2 6-1 6-4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18907001

*Looks like the Lendl who has been coaching him for some time wasn't there (am sure is happy somewhere) and he mentioned him in his post-match interview with McEnroe..

Speaking of Lendl and McEnroe..some may remember the great rivalry between them..I liked and really supported McEnroe so much (who was volatile)..and never know how was going to play..and it was hard to like Lendl who was like a robot- felt the same with Steffi Graf..but, they were such great Champions!

How time goes by indeed..Now Mr. McEnroe is so cool and mostly a very balanced commentator!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:53 am

Maria S wrote:and it was hard to like Lendl who was like a robot

i did not care for johnny mac at all, but i liked lendl a LOT. he was like a shakespearean tragic hero always standing at the precipice of greatness only to die heroically in battle. he represented to me in my boyhood, what one who was not given raw talent (like johnny mac who seemed to be rolling off his bed to win grand slams) could achieve, by sheer hard work and an iron will. lendl got everything under the sun with the exception of wimbledon. it's good to see him in a coaching role.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i did not care for johnny mac at all, but i liked lendl a LOT. he was like a shakespearean tragic hero always standing at the precipice of greatness only to die heroically in battle. he represented to me in my boyhood, what one who was not given raw talent (like johnny mac who seemed to be rolling off his bed to win grand slams) could achieve, by sheer hard work and an iron will. lendl got everything under the sun with the exception of wimbledon. it's good to see him in a coaching role.

Different personalities obviously appeal to us!Smile

They obviously are from very different backgrounds, had totally different styles etc...and had their strengths and weaknesses.

With time..we do see people differently (they perhaps too- with a certain fondness and respect for each other)..and nice to see him in a coaching role too.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am

Since others have posted about super-sprinter Bolt, will post this one, perhaps not so well known:

Vikas Gowda of India has qualified for the men's discus throw final at the London Olympics here on Monday.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/olympics-discus-thrower-vikas-gowda-qualifies-for-the-final/279230-73.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 am

Maria S wrote:

Since others have posted about super-sprinter Bolt, will post this one, perhaps not so well known:

Vikas Gowda of India has qualified for the men's discus throw final at the London Olympics here on Monday.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/olympics-discus-thrower-vikas-gowda-qualifies-for-the-final/279230-73.html

there was an indian woman in the same even too who qualified but ended up seventh in the final. your article says he is based in the US. does he live here to train here?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 am

and a female boxer is in medal contention too:

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article3731246.ece
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:12 am

Good to know! Thanks.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:18 am

*To be honest, I never heard about Mr. Gowda.

Looked up Wiki.

Apparently he was born in Mysore, went to UNC and trains in Maryland, USA.

Interestingly, he was the 2006 US NCAA National Champion in discus, but he did not change his Indian citizenship and represents India, not unlike many others..read somewhere that almost all the Nigerian basketball players at the Olympics..studied and trained in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikas_Gowda
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and a female boxer is in medal contention too:

[url=http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article3731246.ece
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article3731246.ece[/quote[/url]]

you never heard of Mary Kom aka "a female boxer"?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:17 pm

not before i posted that. i also posted a bbc video about her in another thread.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:not before i posted that. i also posted a bbc video about her in another thread.

I am pretty sure there was plenty of coverage about her as she had been a world champion 5 times.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:29 pm

artood2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:not before i posted that. i also posted a bbc video about her in another thread.

I am pretty sure there was plenty of coverage about her as she had been a world champion 5 times.

not in the US where the coverage is super slanted towards american athletes. in any case i hadn't heard of her prior to this morning.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:

not in the US where the coverage is super slanted towards american athletes. in any case i hadn't heard of her prior to this morning.

Why would there be coverage for Indian athletes in USA? Indian news media had decent coverage about her.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-03-28/guwahati/31249250_1_l-sarita-devi-gold-winners-asian-women-s-boxing-championship

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article3223673.ece

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-10-04/news/30242642_1_economic-blockade-gas-cylinders-mc-mary-kom

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article3281059.ece
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:38 pm

artood2 wrote:

Why would there be coverage for Indian athletes in USA?

the same reason they covered oscar pistorius. it's an unlikely and unusual news story that could engage some eyeballs to sell advertising for a while. but thanks for the links. the bbc 25 minute video about her told me all i wanted to know.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:

the same reason they covered oscar pistorius. it's an unlikely and unusual news story that could engage some eyeballs to sell advertising for a while. but thanks for the links. the bbc 25 minute video about her told me all i wanted to know.

I am sure they also covered Sania, Narang and Vijay Kumar in the "odd news" section.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:32 pm

artood2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:

I am sure they also covered Sania, Narang and Vijay Kumar in the "odd news" section.

this was in the bbc's olympics boxing section.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Gabby did badly today. Since she has raised expectations now, am sure she is going to have more criticism now, which is part of it and fair.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/gabby-douglas-uneven-bars-olympics_n_1746958.html

But apparently, she is not patriotic enough for Fox..even what she wears is not "patriotic enough" (no stars and stripes.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/05/gabby-douglas-us-olympic-uniforms-patriotism_n_1744172.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 pm

And this is really outrageous, imo...the Olympics are not even over yet..she is already on Kellogg's cereal box..with million dollar contracts ($ 60-80 million?) How can anyone not be tempted, affected by this kind of money..and all that comes with it so soon..hope her mother and others who manage this money are really wise..money corrupts..this kind of money..well, wish her well.

http://www.examiner.com/article/douglas-on-cereal-box-gabby-gets-kellogg-s-100-million-deal
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:

this was in the bbc's olympics boxing section.

BBC would qualify as "here"?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next