Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake" Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake"

+5
Idéfix
truthbetold
Maria S
MaxEntropy_Man
MulaiAzhagi
9 posters

Go down

Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake" Empty Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake"

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:57 pm

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/08/10/fareed_zakaria_s_new_yorker_plagerism_time_columnist_apologizes_for_terrible_mistake_.html

Here's the official statement from Time spokesman Ali Zelenko, via the AtlanticWire: "TIME accepts Fareed's apology, but what he did violates our own standards for our columnists, which is that their work must not only be factual but original; their views must not only be their own but their words as well. As a result, we are suspending Fareed's column for a month, pending further review."

===> What Zakaria did was worse than what Uppili was accused of doing at Sulekha.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake" Empty Re: Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake"

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:05 pm

that's terrible, really horrid. don't know why he had to stoop to this. i read this essay just yesterday and posted a link here. i thought it was a brilliant essay. i'm truly crushed. i am a huge fan of zakaria.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake" Empty Re: Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake"

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
===> What Zakaria did was worse than what Uppili was accused of doing at Sulekha.

Sara,

What did Uppili do in Sulekha?

If anyone believed that Mr. U posted "his own original stories" - Raja-Rani parables with a "moral of the story"..or some quotes..have to wonder about their analytical abilities. It was mostly stories one has heard so many times..growing up..perhaps a new version..of it. *I am always happy to hear old stories-inspiring and uplifting kind..anywhere..so I used to encourage him..no different from cheering a preacher or storyteller..when they tell feel-good tales!

Sulekha is a social networking site- esp. the Coffeehouse is a place where people post..stories, quotes etc..they have read somewhere..or heard somewhere..with no claims to copyrights to what they post..and we had/have conversations..it would be remarkably stupid if one would post their "original creative writings"- with NO compensation/copyrights! In the blogs..it was/is mostly personal writings..but, even there..I would always advise people..not to post original stuff/stories you want to later publish,*if they wanted to some day become a professional writer/publish them to make money. Think many listened and saved their really good original writings/stories- and published them, have won big prizes in international writing competitions.

Now, in regards to Mr. Zakaria..I don't like to kick people when they are down and being humiliated..there are lots of people who will do that now to him..so I won't (interesting that you did not bring up his Harvard and Yale education- Ivy leagues, many writing awards!)

I don't know..his style (just like Dr. Sanjay Gupta)..never appealed to me- frankly found them boring..I know Currer Bell others used to really find Dr. Gupta attractive..to each his/her own!

Last edited by Maria S on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:58 pm

[quote="Maria S"]
MulaiAzhagi wrote:

Sara,

What did Uppili do in Sulekha?

===> Maria,

I have never pointed fingers at Uppili on anything.

It was FF, Carvaka and some others who made a big stink about the "Morning Coffee" moral lessons Uppili posted.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Zakaria attended the Cathedral and John Connon School in Mumbai. He received a Bachelor of Arts from Yale University, where he was president of the Yale Political Union, editor-in-chief of the Yale Political Monthly, a member of the Scroll and Key society, and a member of the Party of the Right. He later earned a Doctor of Philosophy in political science from Harvard University in 1993, where he studied under Samuel P. Huntington and Stanley Hoffmann, as well as international relations theorist Robert Keohane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fareed_Zakaria

===> He must have cheated on his class assignments at Yale and Harvard.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Sara,

If I came across as accusing you, did not mean to do that. *You have seen how many times I have deleted posts..when I felt, I may have crossed the line- or offended you! I get no pleasure out of it:)
Since you mentioned U and Suls, I responded with my perspective! I always found the accusations quite strange and ridiculous.

Frankly..whether it was/is the CH in Sulekha or here..let's face it..it's not too many people who even read the stuff we post or care..it's a waste of time, if one wants fame, fortune and popularity..You/I can go to Facebook and other sites and I do..post a few lines and have a whole lot of people (even the most famous celebrities) respond with positive feedback and affection..no one really attacks the same people they have interacted with for many, many years..given them on line company.

*It's really for the few "people" like you and Mr. U, Mr. Seva..one has some pleasure interacting with..I still post in the CH there or here..since most friends are all in other sites!

GN Sara!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Maria
for once you took your gloves off. I like the way you said it straight from the heart. I wish you do that more often.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 pm

These are reputation hurting and in most cases career killing mistakes. These are even worse in case of a moralizing liberal indian origin journalists. With so many recents incidents of jurno plagarism zakaria could not have been unaware of the consequencpes.
Zakaria now ranks with ny governor switzer nfl quarterback michael vick and joe paterno in stupidity and self desstruction.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 pm

====> TBT

I think Fareed Zakaria bit more than he could chew.

He should have stuck to Foreign Affairs. That is his forte. Why write about gun control just because that is in the news?

It is similar to a bright kid taking more courses at school than he can spend time on. He starts cheating on the coursework.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 pm

This is awful. I was hoping he would go far in public service, and used to think he may become the first Indian American Secretary of State one day. But this big mistake will haunt him for the rest of his life. I haven't read either article, but I don't understand why he had to do this. It's not hard to argue for gun control without relying on other people's arguments or words.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 pm

panini press wrote:This is awful. I was hoping he would go far in public service, and used to think he may become the first Indian American Secretary of State one day. But this big mistake will haunt him for the rest of his life. I haven't read either article, but I don't understand why he had to do this. It's not hard to argue for gun control without relying on other people's arguments or words.

it was mostly passages on stats and history that he seems to have inserted verbatim from the new yorker article. all he had to do was a simple attribution and it wouldn't have come to this. terrible error in judgment. maybe the copy deadlines got to him. who knows what kind of pressure these journos are under.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 pm

in US academia this is sufficient for one to lose one's job. not sure what the media's standards are. we'll wait and see.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:01 am

===> Someone speculated whether it was one of Zakaria's interns who did this and the man was too smart and decent to do plagiarize.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:12 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/08/10/fareed_zakaria_s_new_yorker_plagerism_time_columnist_apologizes_for_terrible_mistake_.html

Here's the official statement from Time spokesman Ali Zelenko, via the AtlanticWire: "TIME accepts Fareed's apology, but what he did violates our own standards for our columnists, which is that their work must not only be factual but original; their views must not only be their own but their words as well. As a result, we are suspending Fareed's column for a month, pending further review."

hey hey... allow me to come in support of that Uppili Goundar. Worse than ???? Zakaria writes for a living and has monetary and professional benefits associated with his writing and professionally connected to whatever he does in the name of writing.

This uppili mentioned numerous times that nothing in his posts were his original idea... and what he posted came from and repeated in numerous sites...to quote any site in particular.

If you don't cease, desist, and apologize immediately, I will be forced to conduct a token fast on the lines of Baba ji driving out all the corrupt fakular handles from this site.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:05 am

Zakaria was in reality an NRA stooge.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:31 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> Someone speculated whether it was one of Zakaria's interns who did this and the man was too smart and decent to do plagiarize.

This was my immediate thought too.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 am

truthbetold wrote:Maria
for once you took your gloves off. I like the way you said it straight from the heart. I wish you do that more often.

Thank you TBT. I'll keep trying:)

Honestly, I wish I could say things straight from somewhere else..could save myself from a whole lot of trouble! I like nice gloves though- but, will take them off, only if I want to!

Seriously, kindness should not be confused with weakness, soft should not be mistaken for insincerity (with anyone)! People who do that are immature and unwise.

Ok, I like your mini-political commentary..will wait for that on the Paul Ryan- pick.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 am

if someone wants to make a case for someone pulling the wool over my eyes, zakaria is a good candidate. i'm still shaken up from last night about zakaria. apparently he did this once in 2009 as well. he is on the board of trustees of yale. don't know what they plan to do. this sort of thing is career suicide in academia, but may be the world of journalism doesn't have such high standards. i just don't know.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:28 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/08/10/fareed_zakaria_s_new_yorker_plagerism_time_columnist_apologizes_for_terrible_mistake_.html

When arguing to control guns there are no original thoughts (excepting for a few intellectuals).

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down