Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts

+7
SomeProfile
Another Brick
MaxEntropy_Man
charvaka
CroMagnon
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts Empty Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 23, 2011 10:47 am

"Timing is everything- LNKD stocks"

Maria S wrote:Timing is certainly everything. Heard about LinkedIn stocks..did a little research, trusted some instincts...has been a good decision..this has been a wonderful week. MTiming is everything

Crazy Car wrote:Did you get in with IPO or you bought from the market?

Maria S wrote:From the market..some time ago..when it was around $50..it's $90+ now. (Think it may have peaked..at least for the near future). M

Crazy Car wrote:That doesn't make sense. LinkedIn just IPO'd and it has never traded below 80. What am I missing?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts Empty Re: Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 23, 2011 10:54 am

You are not the only one waiting for the next reply.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts Empty Re: Tsk..tsk..rational people and their dogged insistence on facts

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 am

Angel, aren't you supposed to guard your protege from tight corners like these?? You sir, are slacking at your job.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 23, 2011 11:17 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Angel, aren't you supposed to guard your protege from tight corners like these?? You sir, are slacking at your job.
Angels tread carefully.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 11:23 am

lol angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 23, 2011 11:29 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:lol angel
Here is your opening to invite Crazy Car over.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 am

he would be a nice contributor here. but i also don't want to post there. what the heck, i'll jump in just for this one time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 11:47 am

what does this mean?

Maria S wrote:It was good "timing" and peaked part- but, the rest was teasing..I wish I had put more smileys:) Made some..and really wish.. made a lot more..would have-if I got it around 50 in the market and made 100! Let me be very serious today- it's close to 80+ almost the buying price. M

a) she bought it at 50,
b) she did not buy it at 50,
c) she is teasing us,
d) evil gonna bite yo ass.

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Mon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm

ROFL!
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

The answer is d.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what does this mean?

Maria S wrote:It was good "timing" and peaked part- but, the rest was teasing..I wish I had put more smileys:) Made some..and really wish.. made a lot more..would have-if I got it around 50 in the market and made 100! Let me be very serious today- it's close to 80+ almost the buying price. M

a) she bought it at 50,
c) she is teasing us,

e)said investor has a professional money manager (MM) and has no clue what MM does on a day to day basis and just found out while quickly checking her portfolio something with the ticker symbol LNKD.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 23, 2011 2:03 pm

f) people have choices...sometimes more than many(!)...but we should remember the good deeds done by the do-gooders/evil-people/strangers/bus/taxi...but i mean to emphasize -- i wish, again in church today, protestant(!)..as we know even IIT guys eat/drink/slug emperor(!) jahangir's alu dum...see you tomorrow...thinking(!) if i am alive/dead (seriously now!)/life-support-evil/ugly/dog. : ) M

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 pm

e) is funny
f) had tremendous potential, but was overdone
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:f) people have choices...sometimes more than many(!)...but we should remember the good deeds done by the do-gooders/evil-people/strangers/bus/taxi...but i mean to emphasize -- i wish, again in church today, protestant(!)..as we know even IIT guys eat/drink/slug emperor(!) jahangir's alu dum...see you tomorrow...thinking(!) if i am alive/dead (seriously now!)/life-support-evil/ugly/dog. : ) M

LOL!

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what does this mean?

a) she bought it at 50,
c) she is teasing us,

seriously (no teasing, no smilies, ok?), what just happened? it appears that she bought it at 80. because she is "very serious" when she says "it's close to 80+ (which is) almost (my) the buying price."

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue May 24, 2011 3:02 am

What happened is that she disturbed me extremely!

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/maria-i-am-extremely-disturbed-losing-faith-in-womanhood-humanity-1117980.htm

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 am

indeed! i was hoping that your post would obtain an answer to douse the curiosity of CHers. but it didn't. perhaps there is going to be one more post tomorrow explaining the real reason behind the original post.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue May 24, 2011 3:31 am

I doubt it. St Maria is quite well-versed in the political gamesmanship of avoiding uncomfortable facts. She will play every card at her disposal, including the saint card and the victim card, to suppress, obscure, confuse and even guilt-trip people. Us, amm janta, will just get a glimpse of the scandal in our peripheral vision and nothing more. Just like it happens with governmental scandals.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 am

she had gone on to give more stock tips to crazy car on health care companies in the thread:

Maria S wrote:While I always make the following statement (seriously) "Gold and Oil, and Real estate investments are reliable"..kindly check and make your own decisions on all investments!

*In regards to Health Care Industry investments..I don't have many "stock investments"..mostly like to partner and directly invest (small ways so far) in HC companys/Agencies. In general- Pharmaceuticals like Merck, Pfizer, nowadays- Novartis, and Johnson and Johnson& (Med Supplies and Equipment) are not too high-risk..but, they are often steady- can't make big short term profits.

Ok..will look out- if I see any trends, will post them here.

Maria S wrote:I know this one- def. Companies..not Companys(!)

here was my response to her before the thread got nuked:

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:dude, you are the new prophet in stocks. i yum gonna listen to your eweRRy post from now onwards. till now i was vonly reading, but i gots to listen too.

p.s. yes, she will be back to clear the confusion so that she can feel satisfied about herself. i think she is feeling a bit dissatisfied but is only a matter of one more day and one more morning post. evil gonna bite yo ass, lulss!!1!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 4:01 am

Hmmm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 am

hmmmmmmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 4:15 am

I think it is the dark energy, that even the non-religious BBC has talked about, at work here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 4:43 am

The source of my above knowledge is this - the first thread I read on CH today.

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/new-method-confirms-dark-energy-1117949.htm#1117949

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 4:55 am

Maria S wrote:Interesting..from BBC..they are no religious org! The mystery of the Universe..is what makes in all so intriguing.

Shocked what the hell could she mean? how did religion get tied up here? i am literally shocked. was she always like this or have i become stupid of late.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 24, 2011 5:55 am

neither. i think what is happening is that maria has turned into what luke warmus would describe a post-bot to prove that the sucky forum is still alive. a post-bot, according to him, is someone who posts without knowing why or what it is posting. she hopes to obtain a response from the usual suspects there (who are not unlike her) just so they could pat each other's back for keeping the forum alive. quality has to suffer with so much quantity.

i wonder how sevaji is taking all this? he relied a lot on sulekha to kill his time. with people there scratching each other's back, he is unlikely to meet any resistance and that may take away all the fun from his e-life.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 24, 2011 8:33 am

and now a book review that coincidentally matches the one here.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 am

lmao lmao lmao. it matches word for word. she changes a few words in the first three lines so that readers will not get a perfect match. then she does a lazy, bulk copy-paste ("profitable venture" is surrounded by html tags in her post as it is hyperlinked in the post she lifts it from -- she changes "venture" to "endeavor" but can't get rid of the unseen html tag, lol). she is getting curiouser by the day. i knew she used to quote earlier without citing sources but i always thought she did it to fill the gaps in her knowledge and once in a while it was excusable. but heck, it's a habit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 24, 2011 8:58 am

and now a disclaimer! someone's lurking here.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 am

probably one of her friends who do not visit sulekha BUT visit here AND visit facebook AND keep feeding her info. about here to enquire if she is OK. well, at least she has acknowledged (though one would wonder why she took the trouble of switching many words in the copy-paste when she was anyway going to claim that it wasn't hers). we should be grateful for the smallest of mercies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 24, 2011 11:41 am

Another Brick wrote:and now a book review that coincidentally matches the one here.
How did you find that one?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:lmao lmao lmao. it matches word for word. she changes a few words in the first three lines so that readers will not get a perfect match. then she does a lazy, bulk copy-paste ("profitable venture" is surrounded by html tags in her post as it is hyperlinked in the post she lifts it from -- she changes "venture" to "endeavor" but can't get rid of the unseen html tag, lol). she is getting curiouser by the day. i knew she used to quote earlier without citing sources but i always thought she did it to fill the gaps in her knowledge and once in a while it was excusable. but heck, it's a habit!

....and what's new about this? I have caught this so many times in the past. Adding a few "...","smileys" and changing a word here and there does not fool google.

And yeah, I generally do not pick on people for nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 24, 2011 8:04 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:lmao lmao lmao. it matches word for word. she changes a few words in the first three lines so that readers will not get a perfect match. then she does a lazy, bulk copy-paste ("profitable venture" is surrounded by html tags in her post as it is hyperlinked in the post she lifts it from -- she changes "venture" to "endeavor" but can't get rid of the unseen html tag, lol). she is getting curiouser by the day. i knew she used to quote earlier without citing sources but i always thought she did it to fill the gaps in her knowledge and once in a while it was excusable. but heck, it's a habit!

....and what's new about this? I have caught this so many times in the past. Adding a few "...","smileys" and changing a word here and there does not fool google.

And yeah, I generally do not pick on people for nothing.

Whoa. I hadn't read this earlier. So she took a book review, changed some words and punctuation, and posted it on CH?

Why would anyone change some specific words when reposting? I understand people might omit their sources (CH is not an academic journal), but why modify the content with a few word changes? Why not post the original? That's just weird, and very much like trying to take credit for a review that one hasn't written.

I also didn't get the "kidding" part about the LinkedIn stock. Perhaps Max is right about the money manager situation.

This is a bait for Lukeji... if this doesn't reel him I don't know what will.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 pm

charvaka wrote:

Whoa. I hadn't read this earlier. So she took a book review, changed some words and punctuation, and posted it on CH?

Why would anyone change some specific words when reposting? I understand people might omit their sources (CH is not an academic journal), but why modify the content with a few word changes? Why not post the original? That's just weird, and very much like trying to take credit for a review that one hasn't written.

Well, all I can say is that I have theories about all this.

charvaka wrote:I also didn't get the "kidding" part about the LinkedIn stock. Perhaps Max is right about the money manager situation.

The garden isn't as safe as some people thought it is - a few logical (and incredibly polite) people seem to have wandered in.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm

blabberwock wrote:Well, all I can say is that I have theories about all this.
You can say more... like an abstract of those theories, or a more detailed exposition. You can say a lot more.

blabberwock wrote:The garden isn't as safe as some people thought it is - a few logical (and incredibly polite) people seem to have wandered in.
I didn't quite understand that... are you saying Max and I are too polite to suggest / believe the money manager explanation?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:00 pm

charvaka wrote:
blabberwock wrote:The garden isn't as safe as some people thought it is - a few logical (and incredibly polite) people seem to have wandered in.
I didn't quite understand that... are you saying Max and I are too polite to suggest / believe the money manager explanation?

Well, it is true that Max and you were being polite but I wasn't referring to that - Sulekha CH is the garden, the BIG garden and the current residents there are the hug-hello-gmorn-gnite gang. They don't really care about what another says and whether it makes any sense whatsoever. All they want is their hugs and pats on the backs. And when the logical people are away, boy, do they play! From dark energy to music to books to neuroscience - anything goes!

Quite unexpectedly, a person like CC wanders in, poses uncomfortable questions and very politely accepts the balderdash dished out as explanation. That's the danger I was referring to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Guess she was first ragged when she wrote movie reviews of 3 movies, and PI caught it and it was well determined that she had not watched it...

Reminds me of this girl with us for 3 years in elementary/middle school... she was a bengali girl, with all older brothers, and was very bright and smart.. she began topping right off the bat. Everyone was in awe of her, and she had that smug leadership which bordered bullying. Once we had to write an essay on what's your favorite sport, and she wrote a wonderful 10-point essay on chess, and the way she read it out loud, we all believed she was a chess champion.

That year I had fractured my legs, and had missed first 2 months of school. My mom bought these new things from the market called 'keys', which had answers to all the textbook questions and exercises. It was considered a great shame to use those, and I protested big time... Mom brought them anyway, and out of rebel, I didn't open them for almost 6 months... one day I was stuck with something, so gave in to the temptation. And voila, that 10-point essay was right there, line by line..(I had a good memory about these things).

The heights is, I never told this to anyone in school... I didn't want anyone to know that I had keys at home, more than I wanted to expose her... But I totally lost respect for Monica Bhattacharya... wonder where she would be now...she used to cheat, but she was still smart... must have done some good in life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Monica Bhattacharya? You have to be kidding me!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

no i think there is some famous monica bhattacharya too (can't recollect now), but I remember seeing the pics (after googling of course), they can't be the same... mine was much darker with big eyes...

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeybrowneyes Tue May 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Monica Bhattacharya? You have to be kidding me!
'

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Don't tell me you went to school with "Konica" Monica?! Very Happy

mickeybrowneyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm

mickeybrowneyes wrote:
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Don't tell me you went to school with "Konica" Monica?! Very Happy
https://www.facebook.com/people/Konica-Monica/1345796219
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by mickeybrowneyes Tue May 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
mickeybrowneyes wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/people/Konica-Monica/1345796219

Naah...not the same person - she is probably one of the bloggers in Facebook...

mickeybrowneyes

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 24, 2011 10:55 pm

a lot of people right here on this thread used to think people like myself, luke, and PI were mean for kicks when we called maria on her hypocrisy on the old and soon to be defunct CH. these very same people seem to be snickering on a forum where she does not participate. the irony!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a lot of people right here on this thread used to think people like myself, luke, and PI were mean for kicks when we called maria on her hypocrisy on the old and soon to be defunct CH. these very same people seem to be snickering on a forum where she does not participate. the irony!

Welcome to the flaky world of internet where friends turn foe overnight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 24, 2011 11:56 pm

blabberwock wrote:

Welcome to the flaky world of internet where friends turn foe overnight.

Oh these Alliances of Antagonism, I tell you!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 12:03 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Guess she was first ragged when she wrote movie reviews of 3 movies, and PI caught it and it was well determined that she had not watched it...

Reminds me of this girl with us for 3 years in elementary/middle school... she was a bengali girl, with all older brothers, and was very bright and smart.. she began topping right off the bat. Everyone was in awe of her, and she had that smug leadership which bordered bullying. Once we had to write an essay on what's your favorite sport, and she wrote a wonderful 10-point essay on chess, and the way she read it out loud, we all believed she was a chess champion.

That year I had fractured my legs, and had missed first 2 months of school. My mom bought these new things from the market called 'keys', which had answers to all the textbook questions and exercises. It was considered a great shame to use those, and I protested big time... Mom brought them anyway, and out of rebel, I didn't open them for almost 6 months... one day I was stuck with something, so gave in to the temptation. And voila, that 10-point essay was right there, line by line..(I had a good memory about these things).

The heights is, I never told this to anyone in school... I didn't want anyone to know that I had keys at home, more than I wanted to expose her... But I totally lost respect for Monica Bhattacharya... wonder where she would be now...she used to cheat, but she was still smart... must have done some good in life.

Why take anyone's name?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 12:32 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a lot of people right here on this thread used to think people like myself, luke, and PI were mean for kicks when we called maria on her hypocrisy on the old and soon to be defunct CH. these very same people seem to be snickering on a forum where she does not participate. the irony!

Blabberwock wrote:Welcome to the flaky world of internet where friends turn foe overnight.

true. you both are correct.

as far as i am concerned, to be honest i did not pay close attention to her (till now). i was indeed a bit biased. i was sold to the idea that the tambrahms (max, blabberwock, .|sublime|.) were victimizing her and that they were taking advantage of the fact that she wasn't articulate enough to defend herself. in general, i don't trust tambrahms till given a reason to. the adopted tambrahm, luke, had other reasons for going after her (reasons i don't clearly know -- he can be very complicated but his and maria's story is very old, with an ice cream episode thrown in). i never read PI's or anyone's movie posts but i do feel that PI is a bit elitist. so, again, my sympathy was for maria. but, it's a flaky world of internet -- blabberwock is spot on. if maria comes here, who knows, i might again develop a fondness for her (since she will be drowned by the rabble here, i wont be watching her closely to have the inconsistencies jump at me). also, it is not the case that we are snickering where she does not participate. she verily reads this forum and responds there in her own way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 12:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:if maria comes here, who knows, i might again develop a fondness for her become neutral to her

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
as far as i am concerned, to be honest i did not pay close attention to her (till now). i was indeed a bit biased. i was sold to the idea that the tambrahms (max, blabberwock, .|sublime|.) were victimizing her and that they were taking advantage of the fact that she wasn't articulate enough to defend herself. in general, i don't trust tambrahms till given a reason to.

Eh? What sort of bigotry is this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 am

Looks like I am the only one who loves all....and never criticize anyone Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 am

to be fair to sister maria, she perhaps indeed copied the review from facebook but forgot to mention it. that can happen. why, the punctuation in the review posted by her wasn't anything like her usual punctuation (interspersed with some words). but LinkedIn stock is a puzzle.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next