Showtime in Charlotte Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Showtime in Charlotte

+4
Jeremiah Mburuburu
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
Maria S
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Showtime in Charlotte Empty Showtime in Charlotte

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 am

It's rebuttal showtime in Charlotte..(for all the complaints about wasting tax payers money..apparently both conventions- Republicans and Democrats get almost 36 million $ from us!)

The speakers I plan to watch..

Michelle O. *The most important things to watch are..her hair, dress, makeup, accessories etc:)

Bill C.

Joe B.

Barack O.

And this guy- the keynote speaker..like Rubio, never heard anything about him until last week..like his last name (!) of course, nothing to do with castration..will see how he does in his national debut!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/julian-castro-democratic-national-convention_n_1723017.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Showtime in Charlotte Empty Re: Showtime in Charlotte

Post by Hellsangel Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 am

Showtime in Charlotte Yawn10
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 am

Very Happy

Loll, Loll, Woof, Woof!

*Can't seem to post pictures..have tried..the videos seem to work fine!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

who thought of putting a mike in front of harry reid?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:who thought of putting a mike in front of harry reid?

No respect for the Senate Majority(?) Leader?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am

Maria S wrote:Michelle O. *The most important things to watch are..her hair, dress, makeup, accessories etc:)
superficial!

Maria S wrote:And this guy- the keynote speaker..like Rubio, never heard anything about him until last week..like his last name (!) of course, nothing to do with castration..will see how he does in his national debut!
crude!

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:who thought of putting a mike in front of harry reid?

I think he will do just fine..

He is not charismatic or bombastic..but, it's steely toughness..beneath that low-key and soft image. He reminds me of a distingished Surgeon I know..looks gentle, but when he puts that knife in where he wants to (*symbolic)..knows what what he is doing..and skillfully does what he wants to! Without him..don't think the Senate leadership would be as strong as it is.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Well, I was surprised- how aggressive Mr. Harry was.. and bordering on
bombastic!Smile

So was..Corey Booker.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

*The tribute to Senator. Edward Kennedy was very well made..with actual clips of his debate with Gov. Romney...also brought back the feelings/passion..moving to remember..how hard he worked for Health Care as a fundamental right for ALL.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 pm

i missed reid because i can't bear to hear the man open his mouth. i thought the most effective speech of the evening was deval patrick's. it was both substantive, diminishing romney's gubernatorial accomplishments in MA while also full of red meat rhetorical flourishes.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:39 am

http://blog.twitter.com/2012/09/dnc2012-3-million-tweets-and-counting.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:45 am

It was a well-organized high energy show day 1:)

In a good line of speakers..have to agree that Gov. Patrick was the best (really thought he was, even before I read your post!) and he stood out!

What can one say about Michelle..although it was so predictable about what she was going to say..there is no question that she is a gifted motivational speaker who can take on an arena and make it her own (I almost take it for granted)! She is refreshingly real and humble..unless someone really hates her for no real reason..it's hard to make her look bad- be critical.
Dress- Semiformal and youthful..nice color..the length was perfect..her arms are so toned and nice..sleeveless always works well for her!
Hair- Ok. Make up- Nice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/michelle-obama-speech-democratic-conventions_n_1856281.html

*I don't know..the key note speaker Castro looked good and delivered a good speech..but, it was not moving/inspiring to me..like Paul Ryan..he is still collegeish/amateurish. With time and maturity, he may have a bright future.

Kind of anticipating Pres. Clinton's speech tonight..we'll see.

Last edited by Maria S on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 am

HK, Nice link..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:01 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Maria S wrote:Dress- Semiformal and youthful..nice color..the length was perfect..her arms are so toned and nice..sleeveless always works well for her!
Hair- Ok. Make up- Nice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/michelle-obama-speech-democratic-conventions_n_1856281.html
===> she looks poised, graceful and pretty for a kallu woman!

Smile

That would be for "any woman!"

Seriously..she is magnificient Michelle..I wrote a blog about her (dated- Nov 8, 2008)

http://rivr.sulekha.com/magnificient-michelle-the-first-colored-black-first-lady_377191_blog

*To be objective and honest, to me her face is not that attractive..but, she is "authentic"-charming and charismatic..it's easy to see what Mr. Barack saw in her as an intern..and pursued his mentor:)

She has exceeded all my expectations in the role of first lady (at the same time remained the girl from the Southside of Chicago) and made all women- esp. black women who are perceived in "certain ways"..very proud.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:33 am

Maria S wrote:Seriously..she is magnificient Michelle..I wrote a blog about her (dated- Nov 8, 2008)
http://rivr.sulekha.com/magnificient-michelle-the-first-colored-black-first-lady_377191_blog
just read it (and saw the embedded video too). very hard hitting write-up (about racial realities).

*To be objective and honest, to me her face is not that attractive..but, she is "authentic"-charming and charismatic..it's easy to see what Mr. Barack saw in her as an intern..and pursued his mentor:)
i have to agree with you 100% here.

p.s. i had deleted my comment your refer in your post. good you captured it. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks HK.

I did not realize you deleted your comment, until now..was busy, and just returned to check this thread!

*Even that reminds me of Sara..he used to always notice when I deleted my comments to him..always kind and reassured me and said "it's okay"...unless he is in India or somewhere vacationing..hope all is well with him. Once I see sighting of him, will be relieved:)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:30 am

i liked julian castro too. i thought his best line was when he said romney says no to universal healthcare, and then mid-sentence stopping with a rhetorical "actually", "actually", with the crowd going wild in anticipation, ending with, "he said yes before he changed his mind and said no". that has to be devastating. the bush crowd extracted a lot of mileage from making a flip-flopper out of kerry. it's time to do the same with romney and he has flip-flops coming out of the wazoo going all the way back to his campaign for senator against teddy kennedy. there is so much material that can be mined.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 pm

looking forward to bubba's speech.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:looking forward to bubba's speech.

You are like a kid in a candy store, giddy with excitement, aren't you, Il Professore?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

You are like a kid in a candy store, giddy with excitement, aren't you, Il Professore?

Me too!
I missed him a little..and expressed it in a simple blog-9 years ago..Sept 2003..

http://rivr.sulekha.com/missed-him-a-little_106680_blog

Was a little upset with him in 2008..being the Alpha male/Big Woof Woof that he is Wink who did not know how to graciously deal with another Alpha Male (Pres. Obama) being the new Woof Woof and taking over..but, it's all over now..

It will be good to see him back on center stage..and will be cheering for him tonight!Smile

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:18 pm

What a bunch of dogs!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

you bet! and he showed you why. he was just PHENOMENAL. hit it clean out of the park. i don't think i've heard another campaign speech so full of substance and facts yet folksy as hell. wow. called out every shenanigan the republicans are peddling. can we abolish term limits please?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:09 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

you bet! and he showed you why. he was just PHENOMENAL. hit it clean out of the park. i don't think i've heard another campaign speech so full of substance and facts yet folksy as hell. wow. called out every shenanigan the republicans are peddling. can we abolish term limits please?

Whoa! clap: !

I felt like a kid on a sugar high after all that candy Pres. Bill gave out last night..still trying to come down this morning- have a sugar hangover!

One of the political best speeches I have heard- mix of style and substance..head and heart..praise and attacks..
Goodness..he was an elder statesman, experienced leader, Oscar-worthy actor...above all..
a fantastic folksy attorney- presenting the case for this client point by point..to renew his contract..if that cannot convince the American jury..don't think Pres. Obama can..no matter what he says tonight!

Of course liked the "visual" of the full arm hug with the nice pats he got from the current Prez!

http://finance.yahoo.com/photos/bill-clinton-rallies-obama-dnc-photo-051422660.html

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:29 am

Aww...now, here is a smart/pragmatic/lucky woman- a bridge builder..well, actually these two men are extremely lucky to have her loyalty..one as a wife, one as a cabinet member!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoV04lkhQYQMAhlmJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dhillary%2Bwatching%2Bbill%2Bat%2Bconvention%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=640&h=360&imgurl=i2.cdn.turner.com%2Fcnn%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F120906110050-hillary-watching-bill-story-top.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpoliticalticker.blogs.cnn.com%2F2012%2F09%2F06%2Fphoto-hillary-clinton-watches-husband-deliver-convention-speech%2F&size=67.8+KB&name=%28CNN%29+%E2%80%93+A+photo+released+by+the+State+Department+shows+Secretary+of+State+Hillary+Clinton+watching+her&p=hillary+watching+bill+at+convention&oid=2e488f2e0f90c831b33045c1805e3a0b&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-701&tt=%2528CNN%2529%2B%25E2%2580%2593%2BA%2Bphoto%2Breleased%2Bby%2Bthe%2BState%2BDepartment%2Bshows%2BSecretary%2Bof%2BState%2BHillary%2BClinton%2Bwatching%2Bher&b=0&ni=48&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=13g1ub1jm&sigb=13s9t3q05&sigi=12h8g8660&.crumb=5hPMir1.AhE

*If she is in good health and decides to run in 2016...that will be something..with these two men doing all they can for her!

On a lighter note..can't help but wonder...if only she could have had a webcam in the Oval Office- watching it when Monica was around:)
May have been better off..without all the waste of time and money!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

Il Professore, between Brown and Warren, who is your pick?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:06 am

Hellsangel wrote:Il Professore, between Brown and Warren, who is your pick?

VERY tough. last time i supported brown. this time around haven't made up my mind yet. but i'm certainly not bowled over by warren. she comes across a bit too much of an ideologue, well to my left.

on the radio this morning they were wondering out loud why in the bluest of blue states, warren is not a shoo-in. then they described voters who supported brown the last time and are having a difficult time this time around, not because they've lost their affection for brown, but because of the specter of mitch mcconell trading places with reid; and i thought to myself that that describes me to a T.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Il Professore, between Brown and Warren, who is your pick?

No one asked me, no one cares about my pick (!).. don't live in MA..and it does not matter!

*But, if anyone asked me, cares about my pick..and I lived in MA.. would def. vote for Sen. Scott Brown..from what I know about him, his moderate views (and independent streak at times!)..like him, he has a nice life story (with his highs and lows).

I don't know what it is..Ms. Warren is not appealing to me..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Saamiyar,

Not sure if you will read this..did think about you when I watched Kamala Harris from CA..with some expectations, never seen her give a speech before..

And Nope, not that impressed. Like Nikki Haley fell flat.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm

i like brown because he has some sensible thoughts on energy and oil (on which i differ considerably with the administration) and is willing to work across the aisle in this era when compromise is a four letter word. he is for charter schools. he was also responsible for enacting legislation that bars legislators from insider trading. but i was disappointed when he voted the partyline on healthcare. i thought given his independence and the success of the policy in MA, he would vote with the dems. still not a fatal vote, so it's forgiven.

OTOH warren has played an important role leading the consumer financial protection bureau and i think she really is very earnest. i saw her on the dailyshow and she has this really strong bleeding heart vibe that overwhelms everything else.

tough choice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 pm

it's a relief though that it's a good kind of tough.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Maria S wrote:

*If she is in good health and decides to run in 2016...that will be something..with these two men doing all they can for her!

On a lighter note..can't help but wonder...if only she could have had a webcam in the Oval Office- watching it when Monica was around:)
May have been better off..without all the waste of time and money!

Give me a break!

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Whoa! Superman or not..whether they "put back God back" in the Democrat platform or not..Pres. Obama better look up to the skies and thank someone up there..for divine mercies small and big..

I guess the job numbers tomorrow may or may not be good (perhaps modest)..but looks like the Nasdaq Reaches Highest Level hit a four-year high today, the Dow did pretty good too..and he did not even have anything to do with it..on the day he delivers his Convention speech..the timing could not be better!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/06/sp-500-ecb-europe-stocks-nasdaq_n_1862256.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Maria S wrote:

I guess the job numbers tomorrow may or may not be good (perhaps modest)..but looks like the Nasdaq Reaches Highest Level hit a four-year high today, the Dow did pretty good too..and he did not even have anything to do with it..on the day he delivers his Convention speech..the timing could not be better!

No no no! Clinton did it.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Nope..this one goes to this Pres with the audacity of hope- you adore!Smile

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:32 am

By any objective standard- the show was well planned, organized and presented in Charlotte.

For those of us who support this very unique one-of-a-kind person.. President/Presidency and want him to be reelected..we were reminded that there is a lot at stake, in so many aspects..instead of praising him..it's time for us to do our little part to make this happen.

And leave the rest to destiny!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 am

Maria S wrote:By any objective standard- the show was well planned, organized and presented in Charlotte.

You got that right! :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 am

Any political event, anywhere is a show..always was, always will be.
In the US..we tax payers paid 40-50 million dollars for this show by both parties .
Since we don't have a say in whether we should pay for this or not (interestingly the parties who are against Govt- never refused/refuse this money!)..we want them to put on a great show.
And in Charlotte we got a great, memorable show for the money!

*I also have no hesitation in saying beyond the show, am not cynical, always hopeful, and still think Public Service is honorable- as everyone knows, politics/political shows are necessary as vehicles to get there to serve as leaders of a Nation .

It is going to be a close election and it all depends on who turns out on Election day..I have no doubt/illusions about that!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 am

What is the Messiah going to do if he wins but ends up with an overwhelmingly Republican Congress?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 am

Americans will be so disgusted with Republicans that the Congress will tilt overwhelmingly to Democrats from the next available opportunity.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:37 am

If wishes were horses..

How has the control of Congress been in the last couple of decades?

Meanwhile the fat lady sings about almost having had it all...
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:43 am

Hellsangel wrote:What is the Messiah going to do if he wins but ends up with an overwhelmingly Republican Congress?

Let this "Pragmatic President" win first!Smile

Respect and Cooperation has to be mutual with compromises on all sides..for the sake of the future of this country,if what you say happens..hope there is more of that!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:54 am

Maria S wrote:Any political event, anywhere is a show..always was, always will be.
In the US..we tax payers paid 40-50 million dollars for this show by both parties .
Since we don't have a say in whether we should pay for this or not (interestingly the parties who are against Govt- never refused/refuse this money!)..we want them to put on a great show.

You tax payers also bailed out the banks - are you happy with the show they put on? Esp. the bonuses paid post bailout? Again, you had not much say in that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:07 am

blabberwock wrote:
Maria S wrote:Any political event, anywhere is a show..always was, always will be.

You tax payers also bailed out the banks - are you happy with the show they put on? Esp. the bonuses paid post bailout? Again, you had not much say in that.
the decision to bail out the banks was made by the elected representatives of the taxpayers. in other words, it's what the taxpayers wanted.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
the decision to bail out the banks was made by the elected representatives of the taxpayers. in other words, it's what the taxpayers wanted THEORETICALLY.

realistically, it is what the Taxlooters wanted.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:49 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
the decision to bail out the banks was made by the elected representatives of the taxpayers. in other words, it's what the taxpayers wanted THEORETICALLY.

realistically, it is what the Taxlooters wanted.
do not quote me incorrectly.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:56 am

blabberwock wrote:

the decision to bail out the banks was made by the elected representatives of the taxpayers. in other words, it's what the taxpayers wanted.

having said that, do you agree with that decision? i was initially not a supporter and then when i educated myself about the consequences of not doing that, i had to change my opinion.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 pm

BB: there is no question that there was a time when the center of gravity of the country had shifted quite a bit to the right. in the last few years i think that has started to change a little (or maybe it just looks like that from where i am and i am just deluding myself; can't be sure) as more immigrants and younger people are starting to get engaged politically. in this year's DNC the democrats were not afraid, for the first time since i've started paying attention to politics, to boldly state their position on social issues. fiscally there is no choice but to become more conservative after the excesses of the last decade.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:47 pm

http://www.salon.com/2012/09/06/obamas_convention_charade/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 pm

look, i haven't read your article, i will, but if you think there's no difference between the two sides because the side you were rooting for doesn't fit some notion of utopia, i am sorry to say, but you seem to live in some alternate reality. there is a wide and substantial difference between the two sides. i can point it all out if you want, but we at least have to agree on that basic premise.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Tell me what the differences are in the economic policies. I will listen.

By the way, I have no vested interest in either of these parties, do not and did not root or vote for any side. I am long convinced that America is run by corporates and Wall Street and yes, their puppets put on a show very 4 years.

Yes, pro-choice, creationism etc. make some interesting contrasts but I do think all of them are together when it comes to looking after their self-interest and political career. Superficial differences have to be maintained to keep the public excited.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:13 pm

big picture -- basic economic beliefs. the democrats tend to be keynesians and the republicans hayekians.

this could take a while, but let's start with their priorities. the republicans claim to be more concerned with balancing the budget and erasing budget deficits, while the democrats are more concerned with getting economic growth which they believe will eventually erase the deficits. this naturally leads democrats to believe that when the private sector has completely closed its wallet, the government needs to step in and be the spender that gooses the economy. they propose to accomplish this by spending on the crumbling infrastructure that needs to be renewed and rebuilt anyway.

secondly, their ideas for fixing the deficit. a huge portion of this is accomplished by cutting medicare spending. the republicans want to do this by capping benefits and voucherizing the program. if your medical needs exceed what you can get using vouchers, you pay the balance. the democrats don't want to change benefits at all, but want to cap payments to benefits providers and insurance companies. that's a huge difference.

democrats also want to cut spending by ending the wars and cutting defense programs deeply. republicans want to give the pentagon more money than the generals have asked for.

democrats third idea for addressing deficits is to let the bush era tax cuts expire for families earning more than $ 250 k. republicans want to do no such thing and on top of not wanting to do anything about the bush era tax cuts, want to reduce capital gains tax rates to zero from the current 15%.

and i am just getting started.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum