After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes," Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes,"

+3
Idéfix
Maria S
indophile
7 posters

Go down

After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes," Empty After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes,"

Post by indophile Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:55 am

and "compasionate conservatism," the celebrated Republican speech-writer Peggy Noonan comes up with "rolling calamity" to term Mitt Romney's campaign.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444165804578008702719456198.html

indophile

Back to top Go down

After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes," Empty Re: After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes,"

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 am

I like speeches/essays written by Peggy, my Fb friend (Maureen is too!) I may not always agree with the content-policies she embraces..but they have a certain elegance and eloquence to them..I like to listen to her speak too..she has a lot of feminine charm!Smile

And did like the way Pres. Reagan with his oratorical style used to deliver her words..had the great opportunity to listen to him once..he was like a sweet "thatha" Very Happy (assume like Gandhi thatha) with a great sense of humor when I did..endearing too! I think he "was sincere" - and believed what he was saying and that connected with people..while one could disagree with the policies.

*In my view cliches and catchy terms are effective-if actions back them up..I do know plenty of Southern conservatives who are compassionate, volunteer to be the "1000 points of light"..work with them..for some common interests. Not all of them are fake and indulge in empty talk. Bush 1's "No new taxes" was comical, because it was impractical and phony.

The problem with Mr. Romney is..he changes so many positions, so quickly..not sure what he believes in! And his sense of humor is rather awful with that sinister laugh, imo!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes," Empty Re: After "thosand points of light," "read my lips - no new taxes,"

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:25 am

For old times sake! Good natured-humor..funny, not mean or insulting..

Hope these greats who are gone... are having a roast and fun..somewhere up there:)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 am

Maria S wrote:The problem with Mr. Romney is..he changes so many positions, so quickly..not sure what he believes in!
I don't think he is sure what he believes in. If he was, he wouldn't be in so much trouble convincing the rest of us what it is. The only thing he has said off-the-cuff straight from his heart was that 47% of Americans can't be persuaded to take personal responsibility and care for their own lives. Apart from that sense of condescension -- undeserved condescension at that because he pays very little in federal income tax himself, just like those 47% -- there is nothing that Romney supporters can be sure he really truly believes in.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Sure!

Even if Mitt is a large-hearted man who was a missionary once upon a time and had some empathy for poor people (as people testified in the Republican convention) and this was "merely pandering" to milk money from millionaires..he is a bad actor/communicator!

Leaving aside the honesty..now here's Pres Barack at the UN today..he invoked names of Gandhiji, Mandela..and yes Jesus too:) Reminds me of MGR and Rajini cinema songs Very Happy ! Don't know if it's merely pandering..but makes you want to believe it- whatever that "it" is..he got it..not to mention the Universal message..which is appealing!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/barack-obama-invokes-gandhi-says-film-no-excuse-for-attack-on-us/articleshow/16547982.cms
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Maria S wrote:Sure!

Even if Mitt is a large-hearted man who was a missionary once upon a time and had some empathy for poor people (as people testified in the Republican convention) and this was "merely pandering" to milk money from millionaires..he is a bad actor/communicator!

Leaving aside the honesty..now here's Pres Barack at the UN today..he invoked names of Gandhiji, Mandela..and yes Jesus too:) Reminds me of MGR and Rajini cinema songs Very Happy ! Don't know if it's merely pandering..but makes you want to believe it- whatever that "it" is..he got it..not to mention the Universal message..which is appealing!

[url=http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/barack-obama-invokes-gandhi-says-film-no-excuse-for-attack-on-us/articleshow/16547982.cms
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/barack-obama-invokes-gandhi-says-film-no-excuse-for-attack-on-us/articleshow/16547982.cms[/quote[/url]]

how is being a missionary connected with having empathy for the poor?

romney seems like a fake and a purveyor of bovine waste. i don't know why obama has not produced strong arguments on how much worse the great recession would have been, had his administration not undertaken the government spending program that it did. indeed, i think he saved the u.s. from complete disaster.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: i don't know why obama has not produced strong arguments on how much worse the great recession would have been, had his administration not undertaken the government spending program that it did. indeed, i think he saved the u.s. from complete disaster.

i think someone in the campaign decided this is not a good argument to make, probably as a result of some opinion survey. i thought clinton made this point very pointedly in his convention speech. in general i think obama has severely underplayed the accomplishments of his first term.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:38 pm

I agree that it is a smart strategy not to overplay the "accomplishments" angle, other than in quiet assertive undertones. The country is still hurting and any tooting will beget resistance which is in close proximity to full-throated opposition. In Axelrod, we trust!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:07 am

atcg wrote:I agree that it is a smart strategy not to overplay the "accomplishments" angle, other than in quiet assertive undertones. The country is still hurting and any tooting will beget resistance which is in close proximity to full-throated opposition. In Axelrod, we trust!
I agree. While the how-much-worse-we'd-have-been argument is a very valid one and would certainly find favor with the knowledgeable, it would make him seem out of touch with the common man's pain. Even here on Such, Max's posts on the stock market recovery over the last 4 yrs seemed a bit contrived and didn't find too many takers.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
atcg wrote:I agree that it is a smart strategy not to overplay the "accomplishments" angle, other than in quiet assertive undertones. The country is still hurting and any tooting will beget resistance which is in close proximity to full-throated opposition. In Axelrod, we trust!
I agree. While the how-much-worse-we'd-have-been argument is a very valid one and would certainly find favor with the knowledgeable, it would make him seem out of touch with the common man's pain. Even here on Such, Max's posts on the stock market recovery over the last 4 yrs seemed a bit contrived and didn't find too many takers.

The more interesting question is: "what is he doing to prevent such a disaster happening again?"

So far, nothing substantial. Just being yet another wall street stooge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 am

blabberwock wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

The more interesting question is: "what is he doing to prevent such a disaster happening again?"

Depends on what you mean by substantial. The OWS folks would probably not be satisfied until all the banks are shuttered, so we can go back to a simple barter system. Given the popular anger against the bankers, there is always a risk of kneejerk over-regulation which could nip the economic recovery in its bud. The Obama administration has been fairly balanced in that regard. Frank-Dodd is a big deal especially if the Volcker Rule is implemented without too much dilution.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Depends on what you mean by substantial. The OWS folks would probably not be satisfied until all the banks are shuttered, so we can go back to a simple barter system. Given the popular anger against the bankers, there is always a risk of kneejerk over-regulation which could nip the economic recovery in its bud. The Obama administration has been fairly balanced in that regard. Frank-Dodd is a big deal especially if the Volcker Rule is implemented without too much dilution.

Haha - how many Wall Street thugs have been arrested so far?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 am

http://live.wsj.com/video/the-big-interview-sheila-bair/A8FC152E-8F84-4A5E-BF25-70D499A62CB3.html#!A8FC152E-8F84-4A5E-BF25-70D499A62CB3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:01 am

Mark Taibbi shows how the Dodd-Frank law has been rendered effete by the powerful Wall Street lobby along with their puppets in the Congress and White House.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-wall-street-killed-financial-reform-20120510

May Wall Street bless America!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 am

blabberwock wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Haha - how many Wall Street thugs have been arrested so far?

Eh? Who are these Wall Street thugs? What prosecutable crimes did they commit?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 am

blabberwock wrote:Mark Taibbi shows how the Dodd-Frank law has been rendered effete by the powerful Wall Street lobby along with their puppets in the Congress and White House.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-wall-street-killed-financial-reform-20120510

May Wall Street bless America!

Thanks for the link - it's an educative and entertaining read but at its core, it's just one long leftist whine at how those loathsome, sneering villains on Wall St are just not willing to roll over and die as the toiling masses would like them to. And aiding them in their unspeakably vile defiance of the will of the people are evil lawyers like Eugene Scalia and of course, the devilish Republican hordes.

Any legislation in the US goes through a thorough an elaborate consultation process with a lot of political negotiation as impacted stakeholders are allowed their say in the matter. And when it comes to a super-complex omnibus legislation like Frank-Dodd, that process becomes all the more elongated because the impacted parties are very smart and very resourceful. 17000 comments is a phenomenal volume of inputs to pore through but hey, that is the due process. Without such checks and balances, all kinds of renegade laws could be railroaded through the legislature, riding roughshod on people's rights. It is unrealistic to imagine that a loaded law like this would pass in its pristine form at a time when the politics are so polarized. And just because some bits and parts of the legislation don't match up to the writer's expectations, that doesn't necessarily mean the law itself has been rendered useless.

I wouldn't rush to judgement on the law itself or on the Obama administration's effectiveness until the final contours of the Frank-Dodd regulations become clear.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

I wouldn't rush to judgement on the law itself or on the Obama administration's effectiveness until the final contours of the Frank-Dodd regulations become clear.

Certainly. Let's wait and watch. After all, hope springs eternal. :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down