Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 14 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books

+7
Hellsangel
Propagandhi711
FluteHolder
southindian
ashdoc
MaxEntropy_Man
Idéfix
11 posters

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 14 Empty Re: Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 am

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:The latest argument for the Nizam being a "liberal" is that he was friends with a guy who was a Hindu, but for political expediency had to claim to be a sufi. The idea is that sufism is closer to Hinduism than it is to Islam, so being frends with such a guy makes the Nizam a "liberal."

Now, brace yourself for the big comparison. In contrast with the Nizam, who was merely friends with a guy who wasn't quite a sufi but claimed to be one, Aurangzeb himself was a sufi.

---

http://www.wichaar.com/news/315/ARTICLE/27481/2011-09-09.html

Aurangzeb was a Sufi and followed the Naqshbandi-Mujaddidi method of Sufism. He was a direct disciple of Khwaja Muhammad Masoom, the third son and successor of the founder of Mujaddidi order Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi. His letters to his shaykh and the replies from him show that he was highly devoted to him and followed him in every matter of his life and rule.
Let that information sink in. Aurangzeb was more of a Hindu than he was a Muslim. Think about it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 14 Empty Re: Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:56 am

We are now on to 14 pages. Aurangzeb is within striking distance of the Nizam. Today might be the day.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:56 am

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 14 Captur20Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 14 Nizam-10

As you can see from the pictures above, there are significant differences between Aurangzeb and the Nizam. I am going to highlight those differences.

1. Miserly side: Aurangzeb's miserly side is a tad longer than Nizam's. Aurangzeb wins this one, but barely.

2. Philandering side: Aurangzeb's philandering side is tiny compared to the Nizam's. The Nizam wins this one by a lot.

3. Generous side: While the Nizam has a prominent generous side, Aurangzeb has him beat in this department. Sorry Nizam.

4. Treacherous side: Aurangzeb showed excellent potential in this department in his early years, but once he became top dog, he lost some of his treacherous edge. He was awesome at treachery when he fought his father and brothers. But the Nizam beats him easily with his support for Pakistan when India was at war with that ocuntry.

5. Deceitful side: There is no clear winner on this one. Both about the same.

6. Power-hungry side: The Nizam was no pushover when it came to hunger for power, but he can't hold a candle to Aurangzeb the Great in this department. Aurangzeb killed his own brothers to secure his hold on power. Nizam had no such luck; Aurangzeb wins.

7. Communal side: Aurangzeb has the stronger reputation for having a well-developed communal side, but that is only because the Nizam is not well-known outside Telangana. When evaluated on facts, it is clear that the Nizam has a much more elongated communal side than Aurangzeb. https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p400-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#67528
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am

Here is a helpful comparison of Aurangzeb with a not-communal king, the Nizam. As you can see, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is at least not-communal x 10.

Criterion Aurangzeb The Nizam Who is less communal?
Appointed Hindu commander-in-chiefYesNoAurangzeb
Policy made by HindusYesNoAurangzeb
Extolled by Sikh Guru Gobind SinghYesNoAurangzeb
Was a sufi (i.e. closer to Hindu than to Muslim)YesNoAurangzeb
Abolished sati to protect Hindu womenYesNoAurangzeb
Appointed more than 100 Hindus to senior positions in governmentYesNoAurangzeb
Inspired Bollywood to name movie after himYesNoAurangzeb
Patronized paintingsYesNoAurangzeb
Is at least 3/8ths HinduYesNoAurangzeb
Issued firman ordering people to respect Hindu temples and brahminsYesNoAurangzeb
Inspired BW, a Hindu, to cookNoYesNizam
Traveled by airplaneNoYesNizam
Built temple in Chitrakoot/NandedYesYesBoth about the same
Formed private army to target all HindusNoNoBoth about the same
Imposed jaziya on all HindusNoNoBoth about the same
Did not impose jaziya on women, children and the elderlyYesYesBoth about the same
Gave money to Hindu temples/university in BenarasYesYesBoth about the same
Destroyed some Hindu templesYesYesBoth about the same
Note 1: The table has been updated with Rashmun's latest point about giving money to Hindu temples/university, and about destruction of temples.

Note 2: This table was growing too big. So I have pruned some unremarkable common features of Aurangzeb and Nizam, like both of them being praised for their generosity, and both of them not attempting to rape their brother's widows. While commendable, these characteristics do not help us differentiate between these two fine rulers, hence the deletion.

Note 3: I have revised this table to incorporate evidence of the Nizam building a gurdwara. Aurangzeb built a temple in Chitrakoot, and Nizam built a gurdwara in Nanded. I have no problem admitting this and changing my mind about that point of comparison. From "Aurangzeb", that line item now goes to "Both about the same." Congratulations Nizam and Rashmun!

Note 4: When I made the last revision, I was a little unfair to the Nizam. I said, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is not-communal x 10. But that was before, when the temple building in Chitrakoot was an advantage for Aurangzeb. Now that both candidates are tied on that, I revised my comparison above. (Again, see how fair I am to the Nizam when facts are presented.)

Note 5: Added a line for Aurangzeb's firman. Also added Aurangzeb's ban on sati.

Note 6: Added a line about inspiring Bollywood movies.

Note 7: Added a line about paintings.

Note 8: Added a line about inspiring BW to cook. Revised comparison factor to 8 down from 10.

Note 9: Added air travel line. New method for computing comparison factor: (number of items for Aurangzeb - number of items for Nizam) * 2 - number of items where they are the same. Applying this highly scientific method, we get: (10-2)*2 - 6 = 10.

Note 10: Added line for sufism.

Note 11: Added line for being at least 3/8ths Hindu.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 am

Rashmun wrote:The Nizam seems to come off favorably when compared to any other contemporary king in terms of developmental activities carried out during his reign.
He does not. The Mysore and Travancore kings were far ahead of the Nizam in terms of developmental activities and how they ruled their kingdoms. They did not enrich themselves at the expense of their poor subjects to quite the same extent as the Nizam did.

Forget about comparisons with contemporary kings; the Nizam fares poorly even when you compare him to despots like Aurangzeb. To wit: https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p500-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#67739
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Rashmun wrote:to those who oppose the Nizam unequivocally i would like to say that they should cease to see him in black and white terms.
To those who oppose Aurangzeb unequivocally, I would like to say that they should cease to see him in black and white terms.

Also, I do not oppose the Nizam unequivocally. In my chart of the Nizam's mental map, I clearly acknowledge -- and highlight in red -- his generous side in appropriate proportion to the other sides of his character.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Rashmun wrote:the reason the razakars could not possibly have been targeting only hindus is because many muslims had also joined the struggle to merge the state of hyderabad with India and it is inevitable that these would have become targets of the razakars.
The reason Aurangzeb could not possibly have been targeting only Hindus is because many Muslims also were opposed to the Mughal empire and it is inevitable that these would have become targets of Aurangzeb.

In fact, Aurangzeb attacked the Muslim state of Golconda and conquered it through treachery. It is as a result of that treacherous conquest that the Nizams came to rule Hyderabad in the first place!

This makes Aurangzeb secular.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:59 am

Rashmun wrote:Charvaka's argument is nonsensical because it is the Nizam's army which should be compared to Aurangzeb's army. Nizam's army never targeted any hindu (or muslim) who wanted to merge the state with India. Nizam did not have direct control over razakars. Furthermore, razakars included hindus.
Razakars included members of the Nizam's (hahaha) army. The Nizam's army actively participated in the attacks on villages. As the famous song goes, "pOlIusu miltri renDu balavantulAnukOni, nuvvu pallelokostivi koDuko naizAmu sarkarODA" -- you thought your police and military were strong and came into our villages. Later the song says, "nI miltri pAripoyerO" -- your army ran away.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:59 am

Rashmun wrote:It could be said that the razakars were 'misguided patriots' providing we keep in mind that they were serving the interests of the state of hyderabad, for the preservation of the state of hyderabad.
It could be said that Aurangzeb's army were 'misguided patriots' providing we keep in mind that they were serving the interests of hte Mughal state, for the preservation of the Mughal state.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 am

Rashmun wrote:freemasons expelled anders from their organization after he went berserk. the man was mentally ill. do not compare him to Nizam.
Anders went berserk. Nizam only lost his head. There is no comparison.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 am

Here is another piece of information. Did you know that Aurangzeb was at least 3/8ths Hindu? Nizam was not 3/8ths Hindu. Another way in which Aurangzeb is more secular. Aurangzeb's great-grandmother and grandmother on his father's side were both Hindu Rajputs, which made his father Shah Jahan 3/4ths Hindu. Therefore, Aurangzeb is more Hindu than the Nizam.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:01 am

The latest argument for the Nizam being a "liberal" is that he was friends with a guy who was a Hindu, but for political expediency had to claim to be a sufi. The idea is that sufism is closer to Hinduism than it is to Islam, so being frends with such a guy makes the Nizam a "liberal."

Now, brace yourself for the big comparison. In contrast with the Nizam, who was merely friends with a guy who wasn't quite a sufi but claimed to be one, Aurangzeb himself was a sufi.

---

Aurangzeb was a Sufi and followed the Naqshbandi-Mujaddidi method of Sufism. He was a direct disciple of Khwaja Muhammad Masoom, the third son and successor of the founder of Mujaddidi order Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi. His letters to his shaykh and the replies from him show that he was highly devoted to him and followed him in every matter of his life and rule.
[/quote]Let that information sink in. Aurangzeb was more of a Hindu than he was a Muslim. Think about it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:03 am

Rashmun wrote:Aurangzeb wrote 'i do not know what will happen to this sinner full of sins' shortly before he died. Aurangzeb realized that he had made many serious mistakes.
Aurangzeb is not perfect, just like Akbar, Jahangir and Rashmun are not. He made many mistakes. Even Nizam lost his head, and Anders went berserk. No big deal here. The only difference is that Nizam -- and Rashmun -- did not realize that Nizam made many serious mistakes.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Aurangzeb wrote 'i do not know what will happen to this sinner full of sins' shortly before he died. Aurangzeb realized that he had made many serious mistakes.
Aurangzeb is not perfect, just like Akbar, Jahangir and Rashmun are not. He made many mistakes. Even Nizam lost his head, and Anders went berserk. No big deal here. The only difference is that Nizam -- and Rashmun -- did not realize that Nizam made many serious mistakes.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:The Nizam seems to come off favorably when compared to any other contemporary king in terms of developmental activities carried out during his reign.
He does not. The Mysore and Travancore kings were far ahead of the Nizam in terms of developmental activities and how they ruled their kingdoms. They did not enrich themselves at the expense of their poor subjects to quite the same extent as the Nizam did.

Forget about comparisons with contemporary kings; the Nizam fares poorly even when you compare him to despots like Aurangzeb. To wit: https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p500-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#67739
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:to those who oppose the Nizam unequivocally i would like to say that they should cease to see him in black and white terms.
To those who oppose Aurangzeb unequivocally, I would like to say that they should cease to see him in black and white terms.

Also, I do not oppose the Nizam unequivocally. In my chart of the Nizam's mental map, I clearly acknowledge -- and highlight in red -- his generous side in appropriate proportion to the other sides of his character.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:the reason the razakars could not possibly have been targeting only hindus is because many muslims had also joined the struggle to merge the state of hyderabad with India and it is inevitable that these would have become targets of the razakars.
The reason Aurangzeb could not possibly have been targeting only Hindus is because many Muslims also were opposed to the Mughal empire and it is inevitable that these would have become targets of Aurangzeb.

In fact, Aurangzeb attacked the Muslim state of Golconda and conquered it through treachery. It is as a result of that treacherous conquest that the Nizams came to rule Hyderabad in the first place!

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Charvaka's argument is nonsensical because it is the Nizam's army which should be compared to Aurangzeb's army. Nizam's army never targeted any hindu (or muslim) who wanted to merge the state with India. Nizam did not have direct control over razakars. Furthermore, razakars included hindus.
Razakars included members of the Nizam's (hahaha) army. The Nizam's army actively participated in the attacks on villages. As the famous song goes, "pOlIusu miltri renDu balavantulAnukOni, nuvvu pallelokostivi koDuko naizAmu sarkarODA" -- you thought your police and military were strong and came into our villages. Later the song says, "nI miltri pAripoyerO" -- your army ran away.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:It could be said that the razakars were 'misguided patriots' providing we keep in mind that they were serving the interests of the state of hyderabad, for the preservation of the state of hyderabad.
It could be said that Aurangzeb's army were 'misguided patriots' providing we keep in mind that they were serving the interests of hte Mughal state, for the preservation of the Mughal state.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:freemasons expelled anders from their organization after he went berserk. the man was mentally ill. do not compare him to Nizam.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:Here is another piece of information. Did you know that Aurangzeb was at least 3/8ths Hindu? Nizam was not 3/8ths Hindu. Another way in which Aurangzeb is more secular. Aurangzeb's great-grandmother and grandmother on his father's side were both Hindu Rajputs, which made his father Shah Jahan 3/4ths Hindu. Therefore, Aurangzeb is more Hindu than the Nizam.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:The latest argument for the Nizam being a "liberal" is that he was friends with a guy who was a Hindu, but for political expediency had to claim to be a sufi. The idea is that sufism is closer to Hinduism than it is to Islam, so being frends with such a guy makes the Nizam a "liberal."

---

Let that information sink in. Aurangzeb was more of a Hindu than he was a Muslim. Think about it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:07 am

panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:08 am

On the topic of jaziya, here are some more details.

This tax was not collected from women, nor from young males or from disabled or elderly non-Muslim male citizens. Muslims who paid zakat were not exempt from war duty and a similar form of war tax was also collected from able-bodied Muslim adult males who refused to join war efforts to defend the country. There was, therefore, no discrimination between able-bodied Muslim males and able-bodied non-Muslim males when it came to the payment of war-tax, as long as the person in question would not volunteer in war- efforts for defense of the Muslim- administered state.

http://www.milligazette.com/news/3837-mughal-emperor-aurangzebs-reign

---

This clearly demolishes Rashmun's claim that jaziya is communal. It is clear that jaziya was secular just like the Nizam was secular.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Rashmun wrote:Aurangzeb is communal because he imposed jaziya.
Not true. Jaziya was not communal at all.

---

https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p100-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#64500

This tax was not collected from women, nor from young males or from disabled or elderly non-Muslim male citizens. Muslims who paid zakat were not exempt from war duty and a similar form of war tax was also collected from able-bodied Muslim adult males who refused to join war efforts to defend the country. There was, therefore, no discrimination between able-bodied Muslim males and able-bodied non-Muslim males when it came to the payment of war-tax, as long as the person in question would not volunteer in war- efforts for defense of the Muslim- administered state.

---

https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p50-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#64410

Now let us deal with Aurangzeb’s imposition of Jizya tax which had drawn severe criticism from many Hindu historians. It is true that Jizya was lifted during the reign of Akbar and Jahangir and that Aurangzeb later reinstated it.

Before I delve into the subject of Aurangzeb’s Jizya tax, or taxing the non-Muslims, it is worthwhile to note that Jizya is nothing more than a war exemption tax which was collected only from able-bodied non-Muslim young male citizens who did not want to volunteer for the defence of the country. There was no Jizya if they volunteered to fight for the country. No such tax was collected from non-Muslims who joined to defend the country.

---

https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p50-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#64399

Rajputs living in western India used to collect a similar form of Jizya or war tax which they called "Fix" tax. (Ref: Early History of India by Vincent Smith). War tax was not a sole monopoly among the Indian or Muslim rulers.

Historian Dr. Tripathy mentions a number of countries in Europe where war-tax was practiced. (Ref: Some Aspects of Muslim Administration by Sri Tripathy) Let us now return to Aurangzeb. In his book "Mughal Administration,” Sir Jadunath Sarkar [3] foremost historian on the Mughal dynasty, mentions that during Aurangzeb’s reign, nearly 65 types of taxes were abolished, which resulted in a yearly revenue loss of 50 million rupees to the state treasury. It is also worth mentioning here that Aurangzeb did not impose Jizya in the beginning of his reign but introduced it after 16 years during which 80 types of taxes were abolished. Other historians stated that
when Aurangzeb abolished eighty taxes no one thanked him for his generosity. But when he imposed only one, and not a heavy one at that, people began to show their displeasure. (Ref: Vindication of Aurangzeb).

It should be noted that Sir Jadunath Sarkar was quoted by Rashmun earlier today. The same reputed scholar who is the foremost historian on all matters Mughal mentions that what Aurangzeb did in fact was simplify the tax code, reduce rates, close deficits and eliminate the fiscal deficit. This is exactly the sort of plan Mitt Romney has for America. It seems to me that the people of Aurangzeb the Great's empire -- many of them from Uttar Pradesh -- were not smart enough to realize how good Aurangzeb's tax plan was for them.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:09 am

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 am

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:Here is another piece of information. Did you know that Aurangzeb was at least 3/8ths Hindu? Nizam was not 3/8ths Hindu. Another way in which Aurangzeb is more secular. Aurangzeb's great-grandmother and grandmother on his father's side were both Hindu Rajputs, which made his father Shah Jahan 3/4ths Hindu. Therefore, Aurangzeb is more Hindu than the Nizam.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

---

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 am

panini press wrote:

---

https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p100-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#64500

---

https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p50-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#64410

Now let us deal with Aurangzeb’s imposition of Jizya tax which had drawn severe criticism from many Hindu historians. It is true that Jizya was lifted during the reign of Akbar and Jahangir and that Aurangzeb later reinstated it.

Before I delve into the subject of Aurangzeb’s Jizya tax, or taxing the non-Muslims, it is worthwhile to note that Jizya is nothing more than a war exemption tax which was collected only from able-bodied non-Muslim young male citizens who did not want to volunteer for the defence of the country. There was no Jizya if they volunteered to fight for the country. No such tax was collected from non-Muslims who joined to defend the country.

---

https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p50-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#64399

Rajputs living in western India used to collect a similar form of Jizya or war tax which they called "Fix" tax. (Ref: Early History of India by Vincent Smith). War tax was not a sole monopoly among the Indian or Muslim rulers.

Historian Dr. Tripathy mentions a number of countries in Europe where war-tax was practiced. (Ref: Some Aspects of Muslim Administration by Sri Tripathy) Let us now return to Aurangzeb. In his book "Mughal Administration,” Sir Jadunath Sarkar [3] foremost historian on the Mughal dynasty, mentions that during Aurangzeb’s reign, nearly 65 types of taxes were abolished, which resulted in a yearly revenue loss of 50 million rupees to the state treasury. It is also worth mentioning here that Aurangzeb did not impose Jizya in the beginning of his reign but introduced it after 16 years during which 80 types of taxes were abolished. Other historians stated that
when Aurangzeb abolished eighty taxes no one thanked him for his generosity. But when he imposed only one, and not a heavy one at that, people began to show their displeasure. (Ref: Vindication of Aurangzeb).

It should be noted that Sir Jadunath Sarkar was quoted by Rashmun earlier today. The same reputed scholar who is the foremost historian on all matters Mughal mentions that what Aurangzeb did in fact was simplify the tax code, reduce rates, close deficits and eliminate the fiscal deficit. This is exactly the sort of plan Mitt Romney has for America. It seems to me that the people of Aurangzeb the Great's empire -- many of them from Uttar Pradesh -- were not smart enough to realize how good Aurangzeb's tax plan was for them.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 am

panini press wrote:Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 14 Captur20Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 14 Nizam-10

As you can see from the pictures above, there are significant differences between Aurangzeb and the Nizam. I am going to highlight those differences.

1. Miserly side: Aurangzeb's miserly side is a tad longer than Nizam's. Aurangzeb wins this one, but barely.

2. Philandering side: Aurangzeb's philandering side is tiny compared to the Nizam's. The Nizam wins this one by a lot.

3. Generous side: While the Nizam has a prominent generous side, Aurangzeb has him beat in this department. Sorry Nizam.

4. Treacherous side: Aurangzeb showed excellent potential in this department in his early years, but once he became top dog, he lost some of his treacherous edge. He was awesome at treachery when he fought his father and brothers. But the Nizam beats him easily with his support for Pakistan when India was at war with that ocuntry.

5. Deceitful side: There is no clear winner on this one. Both about the same.

6. Power-hungry side: The Nizam was no pushover when it came to hunger for power, but he can't hold a candle to Aurangzeb the Great in this department. Aurangzeb killed his own brothers to secure his hold on power. Nizam had no such luck; Aurangzeb wins.

7. Communal side: Aurangzeb has the stronger reputation for having a well-developed communal side, but that is only because the Nizam is not well-known outside Telangana. When evaluated on facts, it is clear that the Nizam has a much more elongated communal side than Aurangzeb. https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p400-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#67528
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:Here is a helpful comparison of Aurangzeb with a not-communal king, the Nizam. As you can see, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is at least not-communal x 10.

Criterion Aurangzeb The Nizam Who is less communal?
Appointed Hindu commander-in-chiefYesNoAurangzeb
Policy made by HindusYesNoAurangzeb
Extolled by Sikh Guru Gobind SinghYesNoAurangzeb
Was a sufi (i.e. closer to Hindu than to Muslim)YesNoAurangzeb
Abolished sati to protect Hindu womenYesNoAurangzeb
Appointed more than 100 Hindus to senior positions in governmentYesNoAurangzeb
Inspired Bollywood to name movie after himYesNoAurangzeb
Patronized paintingsYesNoAurangzeb
Is at least 3/8ths HinduYesNoAurangzeb
Issued firman ordering people to respect Hindu temples and brahminsYesNoAurangzeb
Inspired BW, a Hindu, to cookNoYesNizam
Traveled by airplaneNoYesNizam
Built temple in Chitrakoot/NandedYesYesBoth about the same
Formed private army to target all HindusNoNoBoth about the same
Imposed jaziya on all HindusNoNoBoth about the same
Did not impose jaziya on women, children and the elderlyYesYesBoth about the same
Gave money to Hindu temples/university in BenarasYesYesBoth about the same
Destroyed some Hindu templesYesYesBoth about the same
Note 1: The table has been updated with Rashmun's latest point about giving money to Hindu temples/university, and about destruction of temples.

Note 2: This table was growing too big. So I have pruned some unremarkable common features of Aurangzeb and Nizam, like both of them being praised for their generosity, and both of them not attempting to rape their brother's widows. While commendable, these characteristics do not help us differentiate between these two fine rulers, hence the deletion.

Note 3: I have revised this table to incorporate evidence of the Nizam building a gurdwara. Aurangzeb built a temple in Chitrakoot, and Nizam built a gurdwara in Nanded. I have no problem admitting this and changing my mind about that point of comparison. From "Aurangzeb", that line item now goes to "Both about the same." Congratulations Nizam and Rashmun!

Note 4: When I made the last revision, I was a little unfair to the Nizam. I said, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is not-communal x 10. But that was before, when the temple building in Chitrakoot was an advantage for Aurangzeb. Now that both candidates are tied on that, I revised my comparison above. (Again, see how fair I am to the Nizam when facts are presented.)

Note 5: Added a line for Aurangzeb's firman. Also added Aurangzeb's ban on sati.

Note 6: Added a line about inspiring Bollywood movies.

Note 7: Added a line about paintings.

Note 8: Added a line about inspiring BW to cook. Revised comparison factor to 8 down from 10.

Note 9: Added air travel line. New method for computing comparison factor: (number of items for Aurangzeb - number of items for Nizam) * 2 - number of items where they are the same. Applying this highly scientific method, we get: (10-2)*2 - 6 = 10.

Note 10: Added line for sufism.

Note 11: Added line for being at least 3/8ths Hindu.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:13 am

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:13 am

panini press, please add another item to the check list and see how many neighbors both nizam and aurangazeb antagonized. please count how many ppl said nice nice things about both of them respectively. estimation is ok, adjusting for population growth between their respective periods.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:14 am

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

---

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:

---

---

---

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next