Bombay Jayashree Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bombay Jayashree

+8
Hellsangel
Rishi
MaxEntropy_Man
Impedimenta
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kayalvizhi
goodcitizn
Petrichor
12 posters

Go down

Bombay Jayashree Empty Bombay Jayashree

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Bombay Jayashree Empty Re: Bombay Jayashree

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks, atcg. The lyrics in Tamil are so simple. Jayashree has a very melodious voice indeed.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 am

Interesting. An English movie with Tamil song. I think they had Tamil song at Olympic opening ceremiony in London. Olympic ad had Tamil. Only place you see Tamil disappearing is India and Indian occupied Tamil nadu.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:28 am

This may interest you

One Billion Audiences for Hindi Movies: True or False?
M. Palaniappan
I live in United States of America (USA). A few years ago the television network American Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) had a brief news segment about Indian movies. The tone of the segment gave the impression that Indian movies means Hindi movies. There was no mention of other language movies. At one point the American reporter said that Bollywood movies (Hindi movies) have an audience of one billion.

I sent an e-mail to producers of the news show. Salient points made in the e-mail are:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
1. Although India has a population of one billion, Bollywood movies (Hindi movies) do not have an audience of one billion.

2. At least in the four southern states, people much prefer to watch movies in their mother tongue than in Hindi.

3. There are four languages spoken in the four southern states--Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu. Each of these languages has a vibrant movie industry. In some years each Tamil and Telugu has more movies produced than Hindi. Large numbers of movies are produced in Kannada and Malayalam also although not as much as Hindi, Tamil or Telugu.

4. Although some movie theaters in major south Indian cities do screen Hindi movies, most theaters show local language movies. Some theaters also screen English movies. Theaters in smaller towns and rural areas seldom screen Hindi or English movies; they screen only local language movies. So Hindi does not have an audience of a billion.

5. While most people in the north may understand Hindi, many people in southern states would not be able to understand Hindi movie dialog. More people in the south understand English than Hindi.
</BLOCKQUOTE>
CONCLUDING REMARKS
(by Editor)
I want to wrap up this articles compilation by re-quoting from Radha Krishnamurthy's last paragraph of the second article:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
"It is up to non-Hindi Indians in foreign countries to set the record straight and tell foreigners the truth. As long as Hindi speakers assert in foreign countries that Hindi is THE language of India or lingua franca of India, the non-Hindi people have not only the right but also a responsibility to set things straight."
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Let foreigners know that there are more languages than Hindi in India. If a television, radio or newspaper report gives false information (because they got it either from the Indian government or Hindi speakers), send a brief note explaining the real facts. Be polite, be brief. Foreign media people want to tell their audience the truth. Let us help them. Let each of us be the ambassadors of our mother tongue.

You can read 2 more such incixdences at

http://www.tamiltribune.com/11/0101.html

Tell the Truth About Hindi and Counter Hindi Propaganda in Foreign Countries

by
Saroja Thanga Raj
Radha Krishnamurthy
M. Palaniappan

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 am

Hindi movies have a market of more than 1 billion.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 am

overrated singer.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:58 am

In other words, Motion Picture Asssoc. standards do not usually rise up to Music Academy standards! besh besh Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 pm

she sang at my wedding, but i agree with impy's assessment, oscar nomination etc. notwithstanding.

i have been listening lately to anything i can lay my hands on by n.c.vasanthakokilam. those of us who grew up on a steady diet of MSS, DKP, and MLV were robbed of this amazing musician who was taken away from us too young (drink + tuberculosis is the prevailing opinion).

here is but a brief sample:

http://mio.to/vsZ

IMO the most amazing female voice in CM that i've ever heard.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:she sang at my wedding, but i agree with impy's assessment, oscar nomination etc. notwithstanding.

i have been listening lately to anything i can lay my hands on by n.c.vasanthakokilam. those of us who grew up on a steady diet of MSS, DKP, and MLV were robbed of this amazing musician who was taken away from us too young (drink + tuberculosis is the prevailing opinion).

and if that little sample doesn't make your hair stand on end, you have no soul.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 pm

I don't know much about Bombay Jayashree except for one cinema song I have heard called "Vaseegara". She sang beautifully and Harris Jayaraj's music was really melodious in that song. I have no clue as to how good a singer she is in carnatic. I liked her voice in that song in Life of Pi. But I wouldn't go to the extent of comparing her to any of the greats like MSS, DKP, or MLV.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I don't know much about Bombay Jayashree except for one cinema song I have heard called "Vaseegara". She sang beautifully and Harris Jayaraj's music was really melodious in that song. I have no clue as to how good a singer she is in carnatic. I liked her voice in that song in Life of Pi. But I wouldn't go to the extent of comparing her to any of the greats like MSS, DKP, or MLV.

i wasn't doing that. i was saying there is another voice that would swallowed the three whole had she lived longer.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 pm

I was merely responding to one portion of your comment where you mentioned that she sang at your wedding and agreed with Impy's assessment. I think she has a good voice but don't know anything else except for what I had said. I will listen to vasanthakokilam and respond later.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Listening to Needhayaradha...I am not a carnatic music fan although suffused with it for as long as I can remember. Had a quick question - intuitively what I perceive some of the singing to be a tremolo - is that what is called gaamakams in carnatic music?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 pm

atcg wrote:Had a quick question - intuitively what I perceive some of the singing to be a tremolo - is that what is called gaamakams in carnatic music?

the word you are looking for i believe is brigha. the frequency variation from a note to an adjacent note itself is a gamaka. but unless it is rendered with some speed (brigha) you won't perceive the tremolo in the voice. so you could say the gamaka + speed = tremolo.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:she sang at my wedding, but i agree with impy's assessment, oscar nomination etc. notwithstanding.

and if that little sample doesn't make your hair stand on end, you have no soul.

Listened to Vasanthakokilam's recordings from your link, Max. I particularly liked yen palli kondeer iyah. I also read her biography from Wiki. Quite a gifted singer and performer who unfortunately married someone unappreciative of her singing talent; died early in life at 32 suffering from TB. I didn't read anything about alcoholism though. Amazing voice with a wonderful range and clarity of lyrics. Thanks for sharing.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:25 pm

This may be blasphemy but hearing Vasanthakokilam brought memories of dusty thanjavur roads, and the historical period depicted in thillana mohanambal, betel leaves and madams with names like sarasu about whom the townfolk gossiped endlessly....Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

A wedding is the worst place to have a carnatic music concert.

How many people really sat and listened to her?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Rishi wrote:

i did.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Rishi wrote:

What kind of an Iyer are you?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Here's another lovely version of the same lovely lullaby song by Ambika Jois - who is quite lovely! Gentle guitar music by Amal Lad..is quite soothing too.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:

i did.

You just did that bcz that is what you do after you say "I Do"

(As though you could have walked out and gone for a movie when the reception is goin g on.....Razz)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:

i did.

You just did that bcz that is what you do after you say "I Do"

(As though you could have walked out and gone for a movie when the reception is goin g on.....Razz)

no i got an earful from various quarters because i was paying way more attention to the concert, and not enough to the guests who were lining up to congratulate us.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Maria S wrote:Here's another lovely version of the same lovely lullaby song by Ambika Jois - who is quite lovely! Gentle guitar music by Amal Lad..is quite soothing too.

She sings very well....although the extant of my musical taste is limited to detecting the difference between rendu suzhi and mooNu suzhi na.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm

atcg wrote:
Maria S wrote:Here's another lovely version of the same lovely lullaby song by Ambika Jois - who is quite lovely! Gentle guitar music by Amal Lad..is quite soothing too.

She sings very well....although the extant of my musical taste is limited to detecting the difference between rendu suzhi and mooNu suzhi na.

That tail na..is it a Brahmin na, Non-Brahmin na..is it ok for a Brahmin to say it to a Non-Brahmin-inga?

She literally rocks -that lullaby..her voice is calming..I could listen to it and fall asleep:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Maria S wrote:
That tail na..is it a Brahmin na, Non-Brahmin na..is it ok for a Brahmin to say it to a Non-Brahmin-inga?

I was referring to the little teeny wild things from chennai who say 'ennam' instead of 'eNNam' for the word, thought.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 am

I know atcg, was just teasing you.

I did not know much about Bombay Jayashree (have heard her name)..of course, now the social media is buzzing about her..with a lot of love, and a little hate too..to me Pi's lullaby is so, so much better than that Jai ho song.

And think in this set of nominations- Adele's "Skyfall" is the fav (mine too..absolutely great song) to win the Oscar.

Back to Ambika Jois..never heard of her, until a few days ago, and there is something sweet and authentic about her..and like some NRI children, she is trying hard to find her "own British-Indian" identity-style..like Shreya Goshal (who is not a native tamil speaker)..Ambika seems to catch on and utter-pronounce tamil words so well..don't know her..but, I am going to promote her;)

http://www.myspace.com/ambikajois#!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Controversy:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Late-poets-relatives-lose-sleep-over-Jayashris-lullaby-allege-its-a-copy/articleshow/18001161.cms

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 pm

which movie did the delhi rape victim watch that fateful night?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:which movie did the delhi rape victim watch that fateful night?

Correct.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 pm

YES! Skyfall..wins the Golden Globe for Original Song:)

And Mychael Danna..wins for original score- for Life of Pi!

Both well-deserved, imo!

*Fun to switch between "Golden Globe Awards" ...and "Sun TV Family Awards"..and watching both- sets of artists..different in some ways- but share so much in common:)

Oh, Oh..it's Bill Clinton at the GGA to introduce the Lincoln movie- it is getting better! And Poet Vairamuthu..on Sun TV..nice.

Last edited by Maria S on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 pm

is there a category for "most hyped up fluff movie"?

'life of pi' will win that hands down.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Zero Dark Thirty. It is everything the critics say it is. It very well deserves to win the academy award for best picture.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Looks like there are some surprise wins..Quentin Tarantino (Screenplay) for Django Unchained..and some TV show winners too.

Want to see "Silver Linings Playbook"..did not hear much about it..

Switching to Sun TV..even impressed more by Radhika..artist and business woman extraordinare (not to mention the central women characters in her shows)..she really has created a good business model for women - who want to emulate (like Ramya Krishnan is following now)and become successful..women have to become producers and have more control over their financial interests-share in profits. Liked her saree..and of course quite a few dresses/gowns in the GGA show..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:02 pm

IF bombay jeyashree does win an oscar, it will be like ARR winning it for that particular jai ho song, definitely not anywhere close to some of his other tunes.

I've always had a fascination for male voices in CM esp after losing powerful voices like like MLV, MSS, DKP and vasanthakokilam. Aruna sairam comes close. that is it! ranjani and gayathri have never sounded more feeble.

among the women, some new entrants are rocking like aishwarya raghavan. very strong voice, IMO.

2012/2013 season opened my eyes to some mediocre singing in CM and bombay jeyashree leads the pack. she has moved so much away from the traditional strong style of rendering krithis. "pattum padadha maathiri" is the phrase that comes to my mind.

Abhishek raguram sounds amazing. sikkil gurucharan, sanjay, ost, malladi brothers[my telugu bretheren] and sriram sound phenomenal

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Impedimentama,

Mychael Danna's original score-sound track is very nice, imo. But, I hope the award for original song goes to Adele for Skyfall.

Your fav Robert's intro of Jodie Foster was great!

I don't know..koncham overa therinjathu *(was too much) to see an ex US Pres. introduce a movie. Although I have not seen Argo, seemed like they gave the Best Pic Award to Ben Affleck..just to rub it in to the Oscar folks..not that politics and agendas are anything new..everything is so oversaturated and densensitizing..including Award shows. But, it's the same with news..sports..books..music..the show politicians put on..and on!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 pm

M akka, missed watching the globes. damn! RDJ introducing jodie. I watched iron man and iron man 2 over the weekend. he he he..... just saying. can't get enough of him!

Argo won best pic? or ben affleck got best director? lemme google.

otherwise, how have you been? i have finally uploaded my recital pics and will send you an email soon.

For you special - iniya pongal nalvaazthukal. A bunch of us are planning to watch vishwaroopam if and when it releases, i guess the date is supposedly the 25 of jan. That is if this woman goes with me to watch lincoln. deala no deala situation M akka:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm

And wish you the same dear I:)

After all the talk-hype-controversies..am curious too about Vishwaroopam..not too impressed by the few glimpses-clips I've seen, but, we'll see..

If the woman friend/acquaintance is good company- I would make that deal!

Enjoy!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down