Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unkils and whiskey

+6
goodcitizn
Motor_Mouth
Idéfix
Merlot Daruwala
FluteHolder
bw
10 posters

Go down

unkils and whiskey Empty unkils and whiskey

Post by bw Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 am

what's this undying love affair? all thoughts, opinions and explanations appreciated.

thanks.

bw

Back to top Go down

unkils and whiskey Empty Re: unkils and whiskey

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 am

Donot know. I guess it may the 'kick/high' they get from whiskey. I think it makes them loosen a bit and fly in 'clouds' till the effect lasts. My late uncle and my bros start their 'drinking sessions' whenever they meet. My brothers insist me on bringing one or 2 bottles from US whenever I visit them. I have decided not to take anymore from this trip onwards.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 am

bw wrote:what's this undying love affair? all thoughts, opinions and explanations appreciated.

thanks.

This is a mystery to me too. Never met an unkil who asked for brandy, vodka or rum, leave alone womanly drinks like wine or god forbid, gin.

Anyway, prolonged company of unkils has turned me into one as well. So I dutifully quaff the occasional single malt these days - with two ice cubes wonly pleej, but that is more to demonstrate my discerning taste and to ingratiate myself with the unkils around than by preference. I don't see anything particularly fetching about whisky that a good brandy or even a cheap rum can't match.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 am

Exact same situation here. Too much time spent with unkils had turned me into an occasional single malt drinker. Bittu edumacated me that ice in single malt is a sin even he would not contemplate. So I drink it neat. Does earn you some cred from bartenders too. Had a Macallan 12 this evening.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Motor_Mouth Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:07 am

Are you talking only about Indians? If yes, then they go for both whiskey and rum. Any red spirit works for them. In any case, Indian whiskey made of molasses is no better than rum - be it buzz or hangover. So they prefer both. I think that is mainly because they can drink it with club soda. For other spirits, you need to drink them with some sort of ready-made mixer (a rarity in India) or sugary soft drink and it doesn't sting their tongue and throat. That burning sensation is a MUST for the experience of drinking alcohol for them. They must be able to exhale "ahhhh" after the first sip.

Spekaing of which, there is a tremendous scope for research in spirits and come up with something entirely different that rum, whiskey, vodka and gin.

Motor_Mouth

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:07 am

panini press wrote:Exact same situation here. Too much time spent with unkils had turned me into an occasional single malt drinker. Bittu edumacated me that ice in single malt is a sin even he would not contemplate. So I drink it neat. Does earn you some cred from bartenders too. Had a Macallan 12 this evening.

In the years I used to drink alcohol, I went through a phase of drinking only single malt scotch. Drinking Macallan or Highland Park neat was the way to go for me. Occasionally rusty nails preferably with Glenlivet. When I used to visit my relatives in Chennai, almost all the parties I went to had guys drinking Johnny Walker or Chivas, if it came to scotch, but mostly assorted brands of rum. One of my friends from IIT used to give us a blind test to distinguish between malted rye and malted barley scotch drinks, much like the Pepsi and Coke contest. Very few passed since by the time they got to the stage of distinction most were punch drunk!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:11 am

panini press wrote:Exact same situation here. Too much time spent with unkils had turned me into an occasional single malt drinker. Bittu edumacated me that ice in single malt is a sin even he would not contemplate. So I drink it neat. Does earn you some cred from bartenders too. Had a Macallan 12 this evening.

Haha..yeah, I've done the neat stuff too. But some article edumacated me that a little bit of ice helps the whisky roll or some such thing whiskies are supposed to do. So these days, it's two cubes instead of none.

Here: http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-bartenders-on-ordering-single-malt-scotch
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 am

Motor_Mouth wrote:That burning sensation is a MUST for the experience of drinking alcohol for them. They must be able to exhale "ahhhh" after the first sip.

Haha..very true.

Motor_Mouth wrote:Spekaing of which, there is a tremendous scope for research in spirits and come up with something entirely different that rum, whiskey, vodka and gin.

Don't know about additional research, but my own preference in spirits to accompany Indian food is Arak / ouzo >> Tequila >> Feni >> Cognac >> Rum
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 am

Are we talking about just the love affairs? Saw no one listing the wife, beer. Just curious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

Lucy, when middle age hits and your beer chasing days are behind you, unkils settle for whiskey.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:31 am

Hellsangel wrote:Lucy, when middle age hits and your beer chasing days are behind you, unkils settle for whiskey.

i like this interpretation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 am

bw wrote:what's this undying love affair? all thoughts, opinions and explanations appreciated.

thanks.

they just follow the crowd and succumb to peer pressure. most indian men are unaware of the explosive variety and complexity of great beer. so they end up being sheeple in the matter of alcohol.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:05 pm

so, aunties and ? just curious. BTW, this is an old people thread. just saying.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Impedimenta wrote:so, aunties and ? just curious. BTW, this is an old people thread. just saying.

On the contrary, it is an opportunity for all the young nephews to blame their old unkils for corrupting them into imbibing single malt whiskey.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:25 am

thank you, all.

unkils drink whiskey because

-they are past their beer chugging days
-they want the burning sensation in their throats
-they are trying to ingratiate themselves to other unkils
-peer unkil pressure

unkils who refuse to grow up and want to remain "cool" continue drinking beer.

Last edited by bw on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:26 am

bw wrote:unkils who refuse to grow up and want to remain "cool" continue drinking beer.
ayyo / iyo!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 am

Some unkils are still nephews.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:10 pm

India has always been a hard liquor market, nothing unkilish about it.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:02 am

Perhaps a little too much?

unkils and whiskey Download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f2%5f68275%5fAEPOimIAACT7UL9Dfw2auzQMLgs&pid=2

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down