Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things that money can’t buy

+2
goodcitizn
FluteHolder
6 posters

Go down

Things that money can’t buy  Empty Things that money can’t buy

Post by FluteHolder Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 am

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/things-that-money-cant-buy/article4352833.ece?homepage=true

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Things that money can’t buy  Empty Re: Things that money can’t buy

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 am

A heart-warming story!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 am

“I joined TFI as a fellow and now I teach girls of Class III all the subjects barring the second language. Our teaching style is not rote; it is more of conceptual learning. I hope to open my own school based on these concepts on completing my two year fellowship,” says Rahul.

Recently, he says, when as part of a critical thinking exercise he gave his class an exercise to write the craziest things they could imagine with a sock – like being able to travel around the world on wearing it – one girl, Shaheen wrote: “I hope that on wearing this all the parents in the world have the money to send their children to school”. The touching words instantly won her the first prize.

That was the most important contribution these guys made. Teaching critical thinking.

The two fellows say the students now feel freer to discuss various issues with them and in the wake of the recent gang-rape case, they even asked them what the incident was all about. “We did not discuss the issue with them but intend to get our female colleagues for a session on such matters. Such interventions are important for their well-being and can look at teaching them things like good and bad touch,” they say.

That was a great idea, letting female teachers discuss the issue with female kids.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:59 am

Happy to note that copycatting in these areas pays rich dividends -

http://www.teachforamerica.org/

Its a great crucible for future leadership positions and looked upon very favorably in the industry - win-win-win!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:04 pm

atcg wrote:Happy to note that copycatting in these areas pays rich dividends -

http://www.teachforamerica.org/

Its a great crucible for future leadership positions and looked upon very favorably in the industry - win-win-win!

Can you elaborate?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Teach for America produces great alumni. I have been impressed by most of the former TfA teachers that I have run into. Many of them go to the top business schools after working for 2-3 years as teachers, and go on to successful careers in industry.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down