Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu

+4
Merlot Daruwala
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Captain Bhankas
Kayalvizhi
8 posters

Go down

Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu Empty Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 pm

2. Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu

In early 2007 Indian Government owned Indian Railways eliminated almost all south Indian dishes from the food served to passengers (even to passengers traveling within southern states). Even the popular idli and dosai were gone. This resulted in much grunting and complaints from the south. Indian Railways and its caterer Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) issued a statement in April 2007 that it was only trying out the new menu on a trial basis for a few months and south Indian food would be back soon. Why was it eliminating popular southern foods from the menu on a trial basis while north Indian poori, paratha and other foods are still there? Why was it trying out removing south Indian dishes?

Actually the initial notice to regional managers did not say the removal was temporary. It said that the menu is overhauled to make it passenger friendly. Removing south Indian food may be "passenger friendly" to north Indian passengers, but definitely not to southern passengers. May be "passengers" mean "north Indian passengers" to Indian Railways and its caterer Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC)? [See Reference 1 and 2]

There is more. go here to read fuyll article

http://www.tamiltribune.com/07/0701.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu Empty Re: Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 pm

OMG this is horrible!

Back to top Go down

Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu Empty Re: Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm

My all time fave railway food: veggie cutlets. By god if they remove it, I'll be crushed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Why bother? It all ends as follows:

Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu 40
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:My all time fave railway food: veggie cutlets. By god if they remove it, I'll be crushed.
yeah, i like those too. lately i found that they serve top quality dahi (pure jersey yogurt). excellent base for curd-rice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:2. Indian Railways Eliminates Idli-Dosai from its Menu

http://www.tamiltribune.com/07/0701.html

Finally, the Railways has done ONE good thing for its passengers. Tamilians should thank the Hindians for making an attempt to save them from Diabetes. Otherwise, they all will look like the fatso Butcher Pirabhakaran did.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:23 am

A long time ago, when I was a regular long-distance North-South traveler, the standard breakfast fare used to be upma-vada or soggy bread-omelet. Never idli* or dosa. So I don't know what the ruckus is about.

*On the Bangalore-bound Karnataka Express, the first decent breakfast used to be the local, non-railways fare sold on the platform at Guntakal. After having been deprived of idli-chutney breakfasts for months on end, I used to gorge myself silly on the idlis at that station.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:A long time ago, when I was a regular long-distance North-South traveler, the standard breakfast fare used to be upma-vada or soggy bread-omelet. Never idli* or dosa. So I don't know what the ruckus is about.

*On the Bangalore-bound Karnataka Express, the first decent breakfast used to be the local, non-railways fare sold on the platform at Guntakal. After having been deprived of idli-chutney breakfasts for months on end, I used to gorge myself silly on the idlis at that station.

>>>>The ruckus is that Tanji Boy is upset. He and his fan club of one, the modern day de Gaulle, are not going to let go of this Hindian-bashing opportunity that lightly. The idli/dosa aspect is peripheral to the issue at hand, if at all.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:So I don't know what the ruckus is about.
It looks like one of those sky-is-falling Tamil Tribune deals. Here is the current menu from the IRCTC: https://www.irctc.co.in/irctc_menu.html

Three out of four choices for "standard vegetarian breakfast" are: idli-vada, upma-vada, and pongal-vada.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:A long time ago, when I was a regular long-distance North-South traveler, the standard breakfast fare used to be upma-vada or soggy bread-omelet. Never idli* or dosa.
yes. this is what we are served on the duronto howrah-yeshwantpur. in howrah-new delhi, the veggie breakfast comprises of veggie cutlets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 am

panini press wrote:
It looks like one of those sky-is-falling Tamil Tribune deals. Here is the current menu from the IRCTC: https://www.irctc.co.in/irctc_menu.html

Three out of four choices for "standard vegetarian breakfast" are: idli-vada, upma-vada, and pongal-vada.
is this for the on board meals? it might be for the irctc run cafeterias in railway stations. most trains have pvt. catering (rules set by irctc though). sounds like the meals served on board though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
panini press wrote:

is this for the on board meals? it might be for the irctc run cafeterias in railway stations. most trains have pvt. catering (rules set by irctc though). sounds like the meals served on board though.
This is for the meals on board through pantry cars. The choices are for the private caterers to pick from. Private caterers choose which items to serve based on customer demand, availability of materials and ease of production; on the Coromandel Express or Andhra Pradesh Express they are likely to pick more of the SI items, while on Neelanchal Express or the Golden Temple Mail, they might pick the NI items. In my days on Indian trains, I preferred the food on station platforms to the pantry car. And you always get local food at every station.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:01 am

panini press wrote:This is for the meals on board through pantry cars. The choices are for the private caterers to pick from. Private caterers choose which items to serve based on customer demand, availability of materials and ease of production; on the Coromandel Express or Andhra Pradesh Express they are likely to pick more of the SI items, while on Neelanchal Express or the Golden Temple Mail, they might pick the NI items. In my days on Indian trains, I preferred the food on station platforms to the pantry car. And you always get local food at every station.
got you! the menu is pretty much set by irctc. the pvt. caterers simply provide the "service." however, in AC1, i can have the caterers pretty much serve us whatever we want to eat since they have all the ingredients in the pantry. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 am

panini press wrote:

>>>>Hmm, you are getting confused by facts here. The point being made needs to be placed within the broader context of the ignominy visited upon the Tamil race by Hindians. Let me enumerate the slings and arrows, if I may:

First, there was the denial of de Gaulle's right to run for office by India on the flimsy technicality of deG's refusal to uphold its constitution; this was followed by this board's denial of the Captain's greatness (to wit, his exemplary pro-active efforts to give toddlers a shot at a military career); there was India's capricious imprisoning of Rajiv Gandhi's assassins; there was Karunanidhi's betrayal of the cause, what with his decision to stick to India as the country to plunder instead of greater Eelam; there was this board's inadequate vigilance which resulted in the posting of a Hindi billboard in Madurai and finally, the dosa/idli fiasco. Need I say more?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:08 am

Kris wrote:
panini press wrote:

>>>>Hmm, you are getting confused by facts here. The point being made needs to be placed within the broader context of the ignominy visited upon the Tamil race by Hindians. Let me enumerate the slings and arrows, if I may:

First, there was the denial of de Gaulle's right to run for office by India on the flimsy technicality of deG's refusal to uphold its constitution; this was followed by this board's denial of the Captain's greatness (to wit, his exemplary pro-active efforts to give toddlers a shot at a military career); there was India's capricious imprisoning of Rajiv Gandhi's assassins; there was Karunanidhi's betrayal of the cause, what with his decision to stick to India as the country to plunder instead of greater Eelam; there was this board's inadequate vigilance which resulted in the posting of a Hindi billboard in Madurai and finally, the dosa/idli fiasco. Need I say more?

lol! Good summary.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 am

Kris wrote:
panini press wrote:

Bravo!!! Laughing

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Kris wrote:
panini press wrote:

Hahaha, thanks for the big picture!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 pm

panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
panini press wrote:

This is for the meals on board through pantry cars. The choices are for the private caterers to pick from. Private caterers choose which items to serve based on customer demand, availability of materials and ease of production; on the Coromandel Express or Andhra Pradesh Express they are likely to pick more of the SI items, while on Neelanchal Express or the Golden Temple Mail, they might pick the NI items. In my days on Indian trains, I preferred the food on station platforms to the pantry car. And you always get local food at every station.

You must be one hardy person. Last time, when I ate at a railway station was in Vijayawada while going to a wedding in Vizag. My wife went to the function and directly blessed the couple while I did the same sitting on the toilet in the hotel!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
panini press wrote:

You must be one hardy person. Last time, when I ate at a railway station was in Vijayawada while going to a wedding in Vizag. My wife went to the function and directly blessed the couple while I did the same sitting on the toilet in the hotel!
Yeah, I did have a bit of a reputation for rALLu tini ariginchukovaTam. I try to keep my system strong -- every time I go to India I drink regular water that my family drinks and eat street food (and on an unrelated note, drive myself around). The wife, mother, and MIL don't approve, but I haven't had any issues so far.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
panini press wrote:It looks like one of those sky-is-falling Tamil Tribune deals. Here is the current menu from the IRCTC: https://www.irctc.co.in/irctc_menu.html

Yeah, I did have a bit of a reputation for rALLu tini ariginchukovaTam. I try to keep my system strong -- every time I go to India I drink regular water that my family drinks and eat street food (and on an unrelated note, drive myself around). The wife, mother, and MIL don't approve, but I haven't had any issues so far.

"Never underestimate the power of Indian bacteria!"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm

goodcitizn wrote:"Never underestimate the power of Indian bacteria!"
or the american virus goodshitizen. the america virus is deadly.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:"Never underestimate the power of Indian bacteria!"
or the american virus goodshitizen. the america virus is deadly.

I disagree when it comes to drinking water. [What is this name-calling bit? Not necessary.]

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 am

i meant it in jest. my post was in jest from an outraged indian.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down