Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

life of brian - monty python

3 posters

Go down

life of brian - monty python Empty life of brian - monty python

Post by bw Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:25 pm

"so funny it was banned in norway!"

i watched this movie many years ago and found it hilarious. of course, i take a dim view of religion and so it didn't appear offensive or blasphemous to my eyes. it was a very controversial movie, banned at several places.

has anyone here watched it? what are your views?

here's a discussion on the movie that i watched yesterday - palin and cleese discussing the movie with an archbishop and a journalist who both found the movie utterly tasteless. no matter what you think of the movie, the discussion in itself is very enjoyable.

bw

Back to top Go down

life of brian - monty python Empty Re: life of brian - monty python

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:36 pm

i haven't watched the movie. i've gradually drifted away from organized religion, although it was not deliberate. i am not sure how i'd react to a movie making fun of hinduism. i still feel a strong cultural affinity to hinduism and don't think i would very much enjoy seeing its symbols parodized even though the idea of a creator is something i definitely don't believe in.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 pm

I watched the movie several years ago. I found it hilarious. I really like the Monty Python crew and their sense of humor. So I found the movie delightful. They did try not to offend people too much by using the ruse of Brian being different from Jesus. But as a model for how religion begins and spreads, I found the movie's premise quite appealing. The side show of the independence movements ironically reflects the Palestinian situation over the last 30-40 years. Thanks for posting the video, I will watch it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 pm

I also watched a couple of their other movies: And Now for Something Completely Different, and The Meaning of Life. It's classic Monty Python, but not as pithy as Life of Brian because the territory is not as controversial. I should watch their Holy Grail film.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:10 pm

i liked the intelligent and dignified way in which the whole discussion is carried out. despite being offended by the film and finding it utterly despicable, the archbishop still has his humour intact.

of course, cleese, as always, comes across very clever and sophisticated and points out blind acceptance as one of the major drawbacks of religions.

there is a talk by him on creativity that i think everyone must watch(listen). i will post that link as well.

(if we on SUCH start emulating them and have such dignified discussions.....SUCH will turn boring and everyone will leave, I guess)

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down