Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

classical art form

+11
artood2
Kris
garam_kuta
ashaNirasha
bw
Idéfix
Rekz
Hellsangel
Impedimenta
MaxEntropy_Man
yogi
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

classical art form Empty classical art form

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:00 am

How do we define any art form as classical?
Do we consider an art form classical because it requires great deal of skill acquired through long years of training or because it is performed through certain rules that are laid down and variations aren't encouraged?
Can someone shed light upon this?
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

classical art form Empty Re: classical art form

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 am

auro wrote:How do we define any art form as classical?
Do we consider an art form classical because it requires great deal of skill acquired through long years of training or because it is performed through certain rules that are laid down and variations aren't encouraged?

i don't know what the word classical implies, but indian classical music (both genres) will certainly fail that test. there is a tremendous amount of extempore creativity in ICM.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i don't know what the word classical implies, but indian classical music (both genres) will certainly fail that test. there is a tremendous amount of extempore creativity in ICM.
Yeah.But when we talk about dance forms in particular we only have 8 dance forms that have classical status.On what basis do they confer the classical status?
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 am

auro wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Yeah.But when we talk about dance forms in particular we only have 8 dance forms that have classical status.On what basis do they confer the classical status?

oh, ask a poster here who goes by a name that starts with R and ends with N and has "ashmu" in the middle. HE collaborated with wikipedia and co-wrote a text called natyashastra. he thinks he is the re incarnation of "bharat" [note, without the "h" in the end] muni[not sure if this is a bad word].

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:27 am

Auro, I get this mild mild feeling that you post questions that you already know the answers to. Or you know what people will respond, so that you can drop your next premeditated question. Why do I get this mild mild feeling?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Auro, I get this mild mild feeling that you post questions that you already know the answers to. Or you know what people will respond, so that you can drop your next premeditated question. Why do I get this mild mild feeling?

That would be the definition of a :

classical art form Troll
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Auro, I get this mild mild feeling that you post questions that you already know the answers to. Or you know what people will respond, so that you can drop your next premeditated question. Why do I get this mild mild feeling?
hahah why would i do that vidya bagchi?i don't know about how you get that feeling but sorry i post the questions honestly.
I don't know why but i get the feeling that you guys over here aren't ready to accept newbies.Some post that i'm an oldie of this forum and some say i'm invited by panini press to help him.
If this forum is strictly for oldies and that too NRIs then i would be happy to leave.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 pm

how old are you, auro?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Auro baby i believe u ...
The scene is these uncles n anuties are well settled, they can afford to waste time here...u r studying..so don't get addictive here Smile
Focus on ur studies.

p.s. u can call me Rekz akka.
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 pm

auro wrote:
hahah why would i do that vidya bagchi?i don't know about how you get that feeling but sorry i post the questions honestly.
I don't know why but i get the feeling that you guys over here aren't ready to accept newbies.Some post that i'm an oldie of this forum and some say i'm invited by panini press to help him.
If this forum is strictly for oldies and that too NRIs then i would be happy to leave.
Auro, there is a strong element of poking fun at each other on this forum. And we extend that courtesy to newcomers as well. When someone says you were invited to help me, he is making fun of someone else altogether, not you. Because the group has been around for so long, we always have our suspicions when new members show up -- that they are some existing member pretending to be new. That's where the oldie thing comes from. If you spend more time here, you will understand more of these dynamics.

This forum is certainly not only for NRIs -- there are several regular members who post from India. It is also not only for oldies.

On your original question, I suspect there is no real good definition. How long ago the art form was documented / formalized in its current structure is likely the strongest indicator.

PS: It would make it easier for me to read your posts if you typed a space after your punctuation marks (full stops/periods, commas, question marks, etc.)

Last edited by panini press on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:how old are you, auro?
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Rekz wrote:Auro baby i believe u ...
The scene is these uncles n anuties are well settled, they can afford to waste time here...u r studying..so don't get addictive here Smile
Focus on ur studies.

p.s. u can call me Rekz akka.
ok sister Smile
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 pm

panini press wrote:
auro wrote:
Auro, there is a strong element of poking fun at each other on this forum. And we extend that courtesy to newcomers as well. When someone says you were invited to help me, he is making fun of someone else altogether, not you. Because the group has been around for so long, we always have our suspicions when new members show up -- that they are some existing member pretending to be new. That's where the oldie thing comes from. If you spend more time here, you will understand more of these dynamics.

This forum is certainly not only for NRIs -- there are several regular members who post from India. It is also not only for oldies.

On your original question, I suspect there is no real good definition. How long ago the art form was documented / formalized in its current structure is likely the strongest indicator.

PS: It would make it easier for me to read your posts if you typed a space after your punctuation marks (full stops/periods, commas, question marks, etc.)
Thanks for your detailed explanation.I would keep in mind these things.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:41 pm

panini press wrote:
auro wrote:
Auro, there is a strong element of poking fun at each other on this forum. And we extend that courtesy to newcomers as well. When someone says you were invited to help me, he is making fun of someone else altogether, not you. Because the group has been around for so long, we always have our suspicions when new members show up -- that the
y are some existing member pretending to be new. That's where the oldie thing comes from. If you spend more time here, you will understand more of these dynamics.

For the very first time im deeply e-hurt. Gult admin, u were never cho chweet to me like this when i was new...just cos he is from nizam...not fairrrrrrrrr Sad
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Rekz wrote:
panini press wrote:
auro wrote:
Auro, there is a strong element of poking fun at each other on this forum. And we extend that courtesy to newcomers as well. When someone says you were invited to help me, he is making fun of someone else altogether, not you. Because the group has been around for so long, we always have our suspicions when new members show up -- that the
y are some existing member pretending to be new. That's where the oldie thing comes from. If you spend more time here, you will understand more of these dynamics.

For the very first time im deeply e-hurt. Gult admin, u were never cho chweet to me like this when i was new...just cos he is from nizam...not fairrrrrrrrr Sad
Ayyo, I was not admin when you were new, Rekzu. I was just one of the people picking on the newcomers back then. Now I try to be nicer.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 pm

auro wrote:
Forever?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
auro wrote:
Forever?
No macha it keeps changing every second.
yeah i may be emotionally 21 forever. Cool
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 pm

auro wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
auro wrote:
Forever?

that's pretty mature. most of us here are emotionally about 13. some are 10.

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
auro wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
auro wrote:
Forever?

I can see that!
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:03 pm

auro, why this desire to interact with us unfit unkils and aunties?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
auro wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
auro wrote:
Forever?

And then there are the complicated and volatile cases like me. I have been described as between 4 and 13 emotionally. I believe my emotional age varies from day to day, leading the same poster to change his estimate of my emotional age considerably.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 pm

bw wrote:auro, why this desire to interact with us unfit unkils and aunties?
Why "unfit?"

PS: I stopped fighting the unkil appellation as of early 2013.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 pm

panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

omg, u will be what, 37 or 38 this spring? ab to good news suna do.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 pm

panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

You know, the whiskey drinking types.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:09 pm

panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

i apologize, i didn't know you were one of those slim and lithe unkils.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm

May be desire is not the right word bw. you can say inclination. well i never thought about that.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:14 pm

bw wrote:
panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

'Virile' is the word this forum prefers, I think.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

bw wrote:
panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

Are you fit, Lucy?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

omg, u will be what, 37 or 38 this spring? ab to good news suna do.
Wife graduated last year and is relatively new at her job. But yes, the clock is ticking.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

You know, the whiskey drinking types.
Haha, true, whiskified Indians are typically less fit than beerized Indians.

On a completely different note, I stopped drinking whiskey rather randomly. Now I am drinking mostly red wines and raki/ouzo. Not sure how long this phase will last.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:22 pm

bw wrote:
panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

clap I'd rather be unfit than be agile, slim, and lithe.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

Are you fit, Lucy?

you tell me - is a person who regularly runs 10K fit?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 pm

I barely had any alcohol in last 3-4 months. I used to drink 1-2 times/week last year. Guess the last time I drank was when my bil made me something vodka, I think around holidays. In my case, it's all about company. Can't drink by myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
panini press wrote:
Why "unfit?"

Are you fit, Lucy?

is ur 10k mile charity run or something over?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
panini press wrote:Why "unfit?"

Are you fit, Lucy?

I really hope she doesn't regularly run 10k miles.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 pm

panini press wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

Are you fit, Lucy?

I really hope she doesn't regularly run 10k miles.

lol.. 10k.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 pm

- old
- undergone generations of evolution
- has developed a structure and a grammar
- features are distinct and recognizable
- not open to capricious and superficial experimentation

these are some thoughts i have about the word classical as it applies to the performing arts. having a structure and a grammar in and of itself to me does not translate to rigidity and ossification.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
panini press wrote:Why "unfit?"

Are you fit, Lucy?

there is the annual 10K charity event coming up. been preparing for it for a while now.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:07 am

classical - stuff that snooty people feel compelled to appreciate to maintain their snooty status

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 am

bw wrote:classical - stuff that snooty people feel compelled to appreciate to maintain their snooty status

does this also include art movies by east european directors with hard to pronounce names?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:classical - stuff that snooty people feel compelled to appreciate to maintain their snooty status

does this also include art movies by east european directors with hard to pronounce names?

no, that's just fine taste in movies.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

The same argument could be given by aficionados of music.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:13 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i see so one kind of discernment is just fine taste, and another is snobbery. i see it all now.

at least the individuals putting out the product i like have names which don't result in a sprained tongue.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 am

IMO the tambrahms record on CM and BN is overall positive, but they certainly have a poor record, being the establishment and therefore sitting atop the power structure of CM and BN, in nurturing other caste members who have traditionally been in the music and dance business like the devadasis, and like the othuvars. in fact IMO they have done a bit of damage to these people's livelihoods.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 am

Makes me think caste system is much stronger in si.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Makes me think caste system is much stronger in si.

no it has just played out differently.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

in the tambrahms' defense one could say that they were responsible for building artistic institutions within TN. this is kind of like the preference given to patrician anglo-saxons in the ivy leagues. they built it up from scratch, so they get preferential treatment.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 am

am not offending or defending anyone. Just an observation. NI has caste system too, for reservations, marriages, and maybe when favoring in business/offices. In arts and all, it's sorta non existant. Language or region demarcation is there to some extent, for example marathi theatre, or bong literature, or punjabi or rajasthani folk, or brij movies, etc. It (language/region) plays out again in office promotions or business too. But otherwise, it's free for all, when it comes to arts. Maybe it's coz bombay and delhi rule north now, and it's open for all. Money drives all sorts of collaborations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i see so one kind of discernment is just fine taste, and another is snobbery. i see it all now.

at least the individuals putting out the product i like have names which don't result in a sprained tongue.
Being a tad too touchy, Il Professore? Not seeing the remark for what it is?

Last edited by Hellsangel on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

i am going to write up a petition to give "bollywood dance" a classical status. what? it has expressions, movements, costume[well, debatable but ya] use of hasthas, drama and even neck and head movements. Sometimes it even makes the audience want to wring someone's neck in frustration.

so, ya.

Rolling Eyes central!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next