Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

religion and art

4 posters

Go down

religion and art Empty religion and art

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 pm

this is a connection that i find endlessly fascinating. some of the greatest works of art are the products of deeply religious minds. you can hear this in mallikarjun mansur's gut wrenching jaunpuri, in the order and beauty of dikshitar's compositions, in thyagaraja's melting appeals to rama, and in the majesty of the toccata and fugue in d minor by bach. i love hanging out in medieval churches in europe for this very reason.

i am not saying a non-believing mind cannot produce great art, but that deep religious belief has produced incredibly beautiful art.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

religion and art Empty Re: religion and art

Post by NothingCleverHere Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

"nAn rShih kurute kAvyam"

NothingCleverHere

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is a connection that i find endlessly fascinating. some of the greatest works of art are the products of deeply religious minds. you can hear this in mallikarjun mansur's gut wrenching jaunpuri, in the order and beauty of dikshitar's compositions, in thyagaraja's melting appeals to rama, and in the majesty of the toccata and fugue in d minor by bach. i love hanging out in medieval churches in europe for this very reason.

i am not saying a non-believing mind cannot produce great art, but that deep religious belief has produced incredibly beautiful art.
Non-belief hasn't been a serious option for people for most of the history of civilization. It is only in the 20th century that people could begin to say openly that they were atheists. Earlier, the word atheist was a pejorative used to slander one's political opponents. So it is to be expected that believers constitute most of the great masters in all arts, just as they did in the general population.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm

panini press wrote:Non-belief hasn't been a serious option for people for most of the history of civilization. It is only in the 20th century that people could begin to say openly that they were atheists. Earlier, the word atheist was a pejorative used to slander one's political opponents. So it is to be expected that believers constitute most of the great masters in all arts, just as they did in the general population.

i think you are missing the point. i meant that a lot of great art has been religiously-themed, not just made by religious people.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
panini press wrote:Non-belief hasn't been a serious option for people for most of the history of civilization. It is only in the 20th century that people could begin to say openly that they were atheists. Earlier, the word atheist was a pejorative used to slander one's political opponents. So it is to be expected that believers constitute most of the great masters in all arts, just as they did in the general population.

i think you are missing the point. i meant that a lot of great art has been religiously-themed, not just made by religious people.
I see your point now. Yes, a lot of great art is explicitly religious in theme or at least inspiration. I guess the human urge to create art comes from a similar place in our minds as the urge to invent religion.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:00 pm

You need a passion for something to produce great stuff and religion provides it for the faithful.

Religious art was always well rewarded by the royalty and rich patrons. A quick adoption by the masses always brought glory, fame and accompanying riches.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down