Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIFE'S CHEAP - IN SRILANKA

+5
doofus_maximus
Kayalvizhi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
9 posters

Go down

LIFE'S CHEAP - IN SRILANKA Empty LIFE'S CHEAP - IN SRILANKA

Post by garam_kuta Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:04 pm

AUDIO: english translated to thamizh

A new documentary by channel 4 soon to be released.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

LIFE'S CHEAP - IN SRILANKA Empty Re: LIFE'S CHEAP - IN SRILANKA

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

I am shocked and sickened to see these two videos. Hopefully the U.N. is able to bring war criminals of the Sri Lankan government to justice.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

I am shocked and sickened to see these two videos. Hopefully the U.N. is able to bring war criminals of the Sri Lankan government to justice.

NOTHING will happen - No winning side has ever been charged and convicted of a crime.

It is tragic....and yet murderers will be let off.

But, that is how life is.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Deeply concerned about allegations of violations of international humanitarian law and human rights in Sri Lanka over the LTTE leader Velupillai Prabhakaran's 12-year-old son Balachandran's killing, the US said that it plans to introduce its own resolution on the issue at the Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva.

India said, "As far as Sri Lanka is concerned, we are constantly in engagement with Sri Lanka. We are important neighbours, we are important partners. We have good friendship. The concerns that people have felt was reflected in our previous engagements."

India said that it could not say the photo is authentic. Did India analyze it or is it just hot air? A western forensic expert sai it was authentic. Also Channel 4 is a respected British news channel. They won't broadcast serious allegations without sound basis.

Karunanidhi said, “India's silence pains us. People in Tamil Nadu expect India to take forward the US resolution to UNHRC”

Jayalaltha called it a war crime.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Deeply concerned about allegations of violations of international humanitarian law and human rights in Sri Lanka over the LTTE leader Velupillai Prabhakaran's 12-year-old son Balachandran's killing, the US said that it plans to introduce its own resolution on the issue at the Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva.

India said, "As far as Sri Lanka is concerned, we are constantly in engagement with Sri Lanka. We are important neighbours, we are important partners. We have good friendship. The concerns that people have felt was reflected in our previous engagements."

India said that it could not say the photo is authentic. Did India analyze it or is it just hot air? A western forensic expert sai it was authentic. Also Channel 4 is a respected British news channel. They won't broadcast serious allegations without sound basis.

Karunanidhi said, “India's silence pains us. People in Tamil Nadu expect India to take forward the US resolution to UNHRC”

Jayalaltha called it a war crime.

I saw Sri Lankan foreign ambassador to India claim on TV that the pictures were morphed. Do you have any information on which Indian government official commented that the photos were not authentic?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 am

goodcitizn wrote:I saw Sri Lankan foreign ambassador to India claim on TV that the pictures were morphed. Do you have any information on which Indian government official commented that the photos were not authentic?

External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that India could not say the photo is authentic.

This Hindian gov will not believe photo evidence authenticated by western expert. They won't believe Tamil Nadu fishermen eye witnessaccount that Sri Lankan Navy shot and killed fellow fishermen.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:59 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I saw Sri Lankan foreign ambassador to India claim on TV that the pictures were morphed. Do you have any information on which Indian government official commented that the photos were not authentic?

External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said that India could not say the photo is authentic.

This Hindian gov will not believe photo evidence authenticated by western expert. They won't believe Tamil Nadu fishermen eye witnessaccount that Sri Lankan Navy shot and killed fellow fishermen.

I agree that it is irresponsible on the part of Salman Khurshid to make such a blind statement without any proof to the contrary. The UPA government has been cautious to the point of being ridiculous in not making a stand on human right violations and the Sri Lankan government's involvement in war crimes. What has added fuel to the fire is the red carpet welcome Rajapakse received during his visit to Tirupati from Indian government officials despite vehement protests in Tamil Nadu.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:18 pm

can some one explain to me like I am a five year old..

What does Indian govt get by appeasing the Sri Lankan govt? If they make a stand against the Sri Lankan govt they are bound to appease the massive vote bank in TN. What is the reason behind not following this logic?
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:can some one explain to me like I am a five year old..

What does Indian govt get by appeasing the Sri Lankan govt? If they make a stand against the Sri Lankan govt they are bound to appease the massive vote bank in TN. What is the reason behind not following this logic?
May be congress knows it will never get to power in TN and donot care about this state. And most probably leftover Gandhi family still not satisfied/revenge against killing of RG.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm

India and Tamils. Very basic. Hindians who control the Indian gov do not wants Tamils to raise their head anywhere in the world. I can giv you exampole after example.

I tell you. If India got Eelam in 1987 for Tamils, the so called Chinese influence in SL in negated. THere is Eelam in between. Eelam has two-third the coast of the island. Chinese navy cannot come anywhere near India. Think about it. Eelam a plus or minus for India?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Geopolitics is the answer. Sri Lanka has done a great job of playing India against China and Pakistan. If India does not support them, the fear in South Block is that they will turn to China and Pakistan. This fear is based on concrete actions from China, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka in the past.

India does not want a Chinese naval base in Sri Lanka. That would directly challenge India's dominance of the seas that it considers vital to its strategic interests (Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea and the northern Indian Ocean). It also does not want Pakistan's ISI to gain a foothold on the island -- that would jeopardize security in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The Sri Lankan attitude for a long time has been, "f you are not willing to help us, just say the word, and we have others who are more than willing to help."

India might still have said "fuck off" to the Sri Lankans. But the last straw that broke the camel's back was the attack in Sriperumbudur. That was colossal overreach on the LTTE's part which turned the heads of India's strategists against the Sri Lankan Tamil cause. It was PVN's government that restored friendly ties with Sri Lanka, and that policy has held since.

The victims of this horrible calculus (and the colossal miscalculations of the dead command... err) are the Tamils of Sri Lanka. Even if a Tamilian is the Prime Minister of India, I don't see this geopolitical calculus changing.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Think about it. Eelam a plus or minus for India?
That is why India risked its own troops to support the Sri Lankan Tamils.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 pm

panini press wrote:

When?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
panini press wrote:

When?
Aww, that's so coy. The Indian Army mission began in 1987.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm

India sent troops to northeastern SL to disarm Tamil fighters. Can you tell me how it is help. They did not disarm Sinhala soldiers. THey did not devolve power to Tamil. How is it help?

India sent a cooolie army to put down Tamil rebellion in return for following payments from SL gov.

• Exclusive access to the much sort after Trinco harbor,
  • SL promise not to allow expansion of Voice of America in SL

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:India sent troops to northeastern SL to disarm Tamil fighters. Can you tell me how it is help. They did not disarm Sinhala soldiers. THey did not devolve power to Tamil. How is it help?
The disarmament was part of a broader plan to secure autonomy for the Tamil people. A plan that command... err was not happy with, so he sabotaged. His miscalculation is the reason so many Tamil people have died in the last two decades. It is also the reason why thousands of Tamil children were recruited as soldiers, many of them by force. All for what? For the self-aggrandizement of one delusional man.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:07 am

panini press wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:India sent troops to northeastern SL to disarm Tamil fighters. Can you tell me how it is help. They did not disarm Sinhala soldiers. THey did not devolve power to Tamil. How is it help?
The disarmament was part of a broader plan to secure autonomy for the Tamil people. A plan that command... err was not happy with, so he sabotaged. His miscalculation is the reason so many Tamil people have died in the last two decades. It is also the reason why thousands of Tamil children were recruited as soldiers, many of them by force. All for what? For the self-aggrandizement of one delusional man.

Only Indian plan was to disarm Tamil fighters. No devolution plan.

This was the situation when India attacked Tamil fighters.

India wanted LTTE to diusarm and THEN talk to SL gov on devolution. LTTE asked what will be devolved. Neither India nor SL would say. Lt Col Dileepan went on hinger strike asking India to say (1) if police powers would be devoved, (2) If North and east would be permanently merged. India said disarm and THEN talk to SL. Dileepan dies in hunger strike.

India promised LTTE that it would protect Tamils. Then SL arrested 12 LTTE leaders in the sea. LTTE proteszted and the 12 were handed over to India and kept lockded up. Then India decided to handover them to SL military against protest from Indian General in SL. The 12 would surely tortured to get LTTE secrets and murdered. The 12 took cyanide and died.

Heatring it commander got so upsset he crushed the glass in his hands. India sent paratroopers to capture commander, He was tipped off by an Indian communications officer. The paratroopers were killed. Then allout war broke out. It was India that initiated the war. Not LTTE.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:12 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:
panini press wrote:

India wanted LTTE to diusarm and THEN talk to SL gov on devolution. LTTE asked what will be devolved. Neither India nor SL would say. Lt Col Dileepan went on hinger strike asking India to say (1) if police powers would be devoved, (2) If North and east would be permanently merged. India said disarm and THEN talk to SL. Dileepan dies in hunger strike.

India promised LTTE that it would protect Tamils. Then SL arrested 12 LTTE leaders in the sea. LTTE proteszted and the 12 were handed over to India and kept lockded up. Then India decided to handover them to SL military against protest from Indian General in SL. The 12 would surely tortured to get LTTE secrets and murdered. The 12 took cyanide and died.

Heatring it commander got so upsset he crushed the glass in his hands. India sent paratroopers to capture commander, He was tipped off by an Indian communications officer. The paratroopers were killed. Then allout war broke out. It was India that initiated the war. Not LTTE.
I revise my statement:

... one a few delusional man people.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:16 am

Answer. India got payment for sending troops to NE of the island. If India was neutral or pro-Tamil would SL pay India?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 am

panini press wrote:

Geopolitics is the answer. Sri Lanka has done a great job of playing India against China and Pakistan. If India does not support them, the fear in South Block is that they will turn to China and Pakistan. This fear is based on concrete actions from China, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka in the past.

India does not want a Chinese naval base in Sri Lanka. That would directly challenge India's dominance of the seas that it considers vital to its strategic interests (Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea and the northern Indian Ocean). It also does not want Pakistan's ISI to gain a foothold on the island -- that would jeopardize security in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The Sri Lankan attitude for a long time has been, "f you are not willing to help us, just say the word, and we have others who are more than willing to help."

India might still have said "fuck off" to the Sri Lankans. But the last straw that broke the camel's back was the attack in Sriperumbudur. That was colossal overreach on the LTTE's part which turned the heads of India's strategists against the Sri Lankan Tamil cause. It was PVN's government that restored friendly ties with Sri Lanka, and that policy has held since.

The victims of this horrible calculus (and the colossal miscalculations of the dead command... err) are the Tamils of Sri Lanka. Even if a Tamilian is the Prime Minister of India, I don't see this geopolitical calculus changing.

I don't agree. China already has established a huge commercial (not naval) base near Colombo, a foothold so to speak. India hasn't gained anything by its "3-do-nothing-monkeys" foreign policy. By not saying anything about Chinese aggression in Tibet and Sri Lankan atrocities against its own Tamil citizens, India has only displayed its weakness in the eyes of the world. America and other countries that appealed to the U.N. about Sri Lankan war crimes have done for Sri Lankan Tamils what India has failed to do. The UPA government, steered under Sonia Gandhi banner, is possibly prejudiced against Sri Lankan Tamils over what happened to Rajeev Gandhi (Sonia's husband). What is even worse is the welcome the Central Government gave to Rajapakse recently despite protests by so many Indians in Tamil Nadu. The vote bank politics in Tamil Nadu doesn't favor Congress (or BJP for that matter) so nobody cares. That is not true with Indira Gandhi's assassination by the sikhs because vote bank politics up north make a big impact.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 am

It is miscnception that Sonia is behind the anti-SL Tamil policy. It precedes her all the way back to Rajiv, Vajpayee and Rao

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:

oh. did he watch a lot of hindian movies in his spare time?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:48 am

goodcitizn wrote:
panini press wrote:

I don't agree. China already has established a huge commercial (not naval) base near Colombo, a foothold so to speak. India hasn't gained anything by its "3-do-nothing-monkeys" foreign policy. By not saying anything about Chinese aggression in Tibet and Sri Lankan atrocities against its own Tamil citizens, India has only displayed its weakness in the eyes of the world. America and other countries that appealed to the U.N. about Sri Lankan war crimes have done for Sri Lankan Tamils what India has failed to do. The UPA government, steered under Sonia Gandhi banner, is possibly prejudiced against Sri Lankan Tamils over what happened to Rajeev Gandhi (Sonia's husband). What is even worse is the welcome the Central Government gave to Rajapakse recently despite protests by so many Indians in Tamil Nadu. The vote bank politics in Tamil Nadu doesn't favor Congress (or BJP for that matter) so nobody cares. That is not true with Indira Gandhi's assassination by the sikhs because vote bank politics up north make a big impact.

I was not suggesting that India's policy is appropriate or effective; I was just explaining the prevailing thinking of the Indian establishment. I believe India should take a strong stance in favor of the Sri Lankan Tamil people, and stand with the US and others in world fora on the matter of justice for the Sri Lankan Tamils.

As for vote-bank politics, the Tamil people send thrice as many MPs to Lok Sabha than the Punjabis. So Tamil concerns should matter more, not less than those of the Punjabis. But in practice, New Delhi has ignored the plight of the Sri Lankan Tamils under both Congress and BJP. This is because the two major parties of Tamil Nadu have not come together and made their 40 seats in Lok Sabha count. If a national alliance cannot have DMK, it automatically has AIADMK and vice-versa.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am

bw wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

oh. did he watch a lot of hindian movies in his spare time?
lol!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:

Are you afraid of saying his name ? is he God for you ?

At least learn to say "Commander Saar" with true Tamilian respect.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:02 am

panini press wrote:This is because the two major parties of Tamil Nadu have not come together and made their 40 seats in Lok Sabha count. If a national alliance cannot have DMK, it automatically has AIADMK and vice-versa.

Unfortunately that is true.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:17 am

Tough I would like to see uniyed front from TN MPs, even if all 40 make joint demand result would be the same. In 2000 (when BJP was ruling) DMK said India should not thwart the LTTE capture of Jaffna, immediately both Congress and BJP MPs joined and said Indian Navy should interfere. If DMK left BJP, Congress would support it on the SL issue

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 pm

panini press wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:
panini press wrote:

I revise my statement:

... one a few delusional man people.

Carvaka,
*I am sorry to see you call people who have been involved/sacrificed in a freedom struggle for Srilankan Tamils..delusional.

For Tamils it was/is real..and any international/objective- observers/journalists (including Srilankan journalists)..know and have spoken about the 'truth'. May be it was the "good intention" of the Indian Govt - PM at that time..to minimize/disarm Tamil fighters- who they "only saw as militants"..but nevertheless it was not a good thing to go into another country take sides (esp. when the Srilankan Govt was negotiating)...and everything began to spin out of control. I have said many times that Prabakaran was no Saint-and has blood on his hands..but, he can't be used as the scapegoat forever, esp. by Indians..for all the atrocities against Tamils.

You have perhaps read the "letter from the grave"- by the Srilankan journalist who was attacked and finally murdered (*he does condemn the LTTE):

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/stevecoll/2009/01/letter-from-the.html

*I think people outside of US (esp. NRIs) are far more objective when it comes to human rights violations..and in TN there is a tide now to so do something about it. *But for people like Kayal who have tirelessly spoken about this..nothing would happen.

I may not agree with Jayalalitha on many things..but, I applaud her for this:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/we-wont-host-asian-athletics-championships-jayalalithaa/article4438291.ece
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Maria S wrote:Carvaka,
*I am sorry to see you call people who have been involved/sacrificed in a freedom struggle for Srilankan Tamils..delusional.
I don't buy the treatment of Prabhakaran as a mythical film "hero" ("he crushed the glass in his hands when he heard this," etc.) I think he miscalculated big time several times during the struggle, and those miscalculations were based on an oversized sense of his strength. Any successful military / political leader needs to be keenly aware of the limits of his strength, and from his actions, it seems like he lacked that. That is what I meant by delusional. If he thought he could get better than what the other side offered in 2002 or thereabouts, if he thought he could get away with killing India's former PM, well, I don't know what other word to use.

And I haven't even touched on the child soldiers, intimidation of Tamils both at home and overseas, elimination of other groups of freedom fighters, etc. So anyone who idolizes Prabhakaran and narrates passages from his putative hagiography -- as KV is prone to do -- is delusional to that extent.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:56 pm

*Oh, I am sure you can differentiate between hyperbole, over dramatization and reality..who cares about crushing of anything -unless it is to glorify/ridicule someone?

*Is using children terrible? Sure. But, in an "all out civil war"..when the parents/grandparents/families are bombed mercilessly, raped, maimed, held prisoners, killed..how can clean lines can be drawn..and the outrage is "selectively" for children and not for everyone who is dead/wounded.

The same is for any Country..one can't "bomb a country/let drones wildly roam" and talk about love for children and compassion there- such hypocrisy.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Maria S wrote:*Oh, I am sure you can differentiate between hyperbole, over dramatization and reality..who cares about crushing of anything -unless it is to glorify/ridicule someone?
Exactly, that glorification of Prabhakaran is what I take issue with, given the awful things he did.

Maria S wrote:*Is using children terrible? Sure. But, in an "all out civil war"..when the parents/grandparents/families are bombed mercilessly, raped, maimed, held prisoners, killed..how can clean lines can be drawn..and the outrage is "selectively" for children and not for everyone who is dead/wounded.
Yes, recruiting children as soldiers is terrible, even in those circumstances.

Maria S wrote:The same is for any Country..one can't "bomb a country/let drones wildly roam" and talk about love for children and compassion there- such hypocrisy.
I agree with you on this.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

panini press wrote:
Maria S wrote:*Oh, I am sure you can differentiate between hyperbole, over dramatization and reality..who cares about crushing of anything -unless it is to glorify/ridicule someone?
Exactly, that glorification of Prabhakaran is what I take issue with, given the awful things he did.

Maria S wrote:*Is using children terrible? Sure. But, in an "all out civil war"..when the parents/grandparents/families are bombed mercilessly, raped, maimed, held prisoners, killed..how can clean lines can be drawn..and the outrage is "selectively" for children and not for everyone who is dead/wounded.
Yes, recruiting children as soldiers is terrible, even in those circumstances.

Maria S wrote:The same is for any Country..one can't "bomb a country/let drones wildly roam" and talk about love for children and compassion there- such hypocrisy.
I agree with you on this.

Don't think there is anything more from me to add, at this time. I'm moving on:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Maria wrote: You have perhaps read the "letter from the grave"- by the Srilankan journalist who was attacked and finally murdered (*he does condemn the LTTE):

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/stevecoll/2009/01/letter-from-the.html

*I think people outside of US (esp. NRIs) are far more objective when it comes to human rights violations..and in TN there is a tide now to so do something about it. *But for people like Kayal who have tirelessly spoken about this..nothing would happen.

I may not agree with Jayalalitha on many things..but, I applaud her for this:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/we-wont-host-asian-athletics-championships-jayalalithaa/article4438291.ece

Maria: Just read both links. An excellent letter written by the Sri Lankan journalist who knew he will be executed for his candid reports on the government's atrocities and corruption. And a refreshing stand taken by JJ.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

I agree GC!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down