Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi': Former Chief Justice of India

Go down

'I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi': Former Chief Justice of India Empty 'I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi': Former Chief Justice of India

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:24 pm

What are your observations on recent judgements on PILs, like the one on 2G?

I have entertained so many PILs during my tenure. I started doing it after the Gujarat riots in 2002. A State-sponsored genocide was on, and nobody had the courage to speak against it. The prime minister was quiet, the deputy prime minister did not utter a word, the president also did not say a thing even after so many people had been killed. All the accused were being let off. It was then that I took it up. There were 400 cases and I read the FIR. I am amazed that even after carrying out such a big investigation, they did not find anything. I just read the FIR and concluded that it was a State-sponsored genocide.

I will tell you two cases. Best Bakery was set on fire at 6:45pm. There was a thousand-strong mob which had surrounded Best Bakery and set it on fire. Understand the topography and you can easily conclude that it is a State-sponsored genocide. At a furlong a police patrol van is stationed, it is also mentioned in the FIR. One-and-a-half-kilometre away is the police station. An ACP is sitting there, according to the FIR. Then it goes on to say that at 11:45pm the fire recedes on its own. These are the broad facts.

Now, tell me, a fire brigade could have gone and doused the fire? Some lives could have been saved. Why didn’t that patrol police van go and intervene? I read the FIR and concluded that it is a State-sponsored genocide. I said, had I been in a position, I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi on charges of genocide and manslaughter. I said it in the open court. So, in such circumstances, what inquiry do you need – when even one fire extinguisher couldn’t come, nobody could even throw a bucket of water!

Now, see the Gulbarga society case. Ehsan Jafri calls the police and an ACP comes. Jafri is not the only one there; there are many more people in his house. The ACP tells Jafri, I can take you from here. He refused and said, how can I go alone when there are so many others? He said, I will go only if you take the others. The ACP just refused. The moment this ACP leaves, Jafri’s house is set on fire. Why didn’t any fire extinguisher come to this society which is in the heart of Ahmedabad? Scores of people were charred to death.

So, at this stage, I took the PILs. If democracy has to function, then it is the duty of the majority to protect the minority. Who constitutes the government? It is the majority. And when they failed in this duty, that is when I took up theGujaratcase. So, when you see the system has failed, then you have to take up such causes.

http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2012/02/4566

Back to top Go down

'I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi': Former Chief Justice of India Empty Re: 'I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi': Former Chief Justice of India

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:42 pm

http://sikhspectrum.com/2005/05/genocide-in-gujarat-the-sangh-parivar-narendra-modi-and-the-government-of-gujarat/

Back to top Go down

'I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi': Former Chief Justice of India Empty Re: 'I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi': Former Chief Justice of India

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Bilkis Yakoob Rasool (or Bilkis Bano) of Randhikpur village was gang-raped during the post-Godhra violence. She was five months pregnant at the time of her rape and lost fourteen family members, including her three-year-old child, mother, and two sisters. She was among a group of seventeen persons attacked by village neighbors, some of whom she has known all of her life.

Since then, she has been forced to move twenty times due to the threats made against her. On August 06, 2004, the Supreme Court transferred her case from Ahmedabad to Mumbai, based on evidence generated by the Central Bureau of Investigation that as witness she would be in danger if the trial were to proceed in Gujarat.[55] On February 22, 2005, she identified 12 of the perpetrators in in camera proceedings. Eight others, including police officers and medical doctors, are also accused of protecting the guilty.

http://sikhspectrum.com/2005/05/genocide-in-gujarat-the-sangh-parivar-narendra-modi-and-the-government-of-gujarat/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Rashmun wrote:
What are your observations on recent judgements on PILs, like the one on 2G?

I have entertained so many PILs during my tenure. I started doing it after the Gujarat riots in 2002. A State-sponsored genocide was on, and nobody had the courage to speak against it. The prime minister was quiet, the deputy prime minister did not utter a word, the president also did not say a thing even after so many people had been killed. All the accused were being let off. It was then that I took it up. There were 400 cases and I read the FIR. I am amazed that even after carrying out such a big investigation, they did not find anything. I just read the FIR and concluded that it was a State-sponsored genocide.

I will tell you two cases. Best Bakery was set on fire at 6:45pm. There was a thousand-strong mob which had surrounded Best Bakery and set it on fire. Understand the topography and you can easily conclude that it is a State-sponsored genocide.At a furlong a police patrol van is stationed, it is also mentioned in the FIR. One-and-a-half-kilometre away is the police station. An ACP is sitting there, according to the FIR. Then it goes on to say that at 11:45pm the fire recedes on its own. These are the broad facts.

Now, tell me, a fire brigade could have gone and doused the fire? Some lives could have been saved. Why didn’t that patrol police van go and intervene
? I read the FIR and concluded that it is a State-sponsored genocide. I said, had I been in a position, I would have lodged an FIR against Narendra Modi on charges of genocide and manslaughter. I said it in the open court. So, in such circumstances, what inquiry do you need – when even one fire extinguisher couldn’t come, nobody could even throw a bucket of water!

Now, see the Gulbarga society case. Ehsan Jafri calls the police and an ACP comes. Jafri is not the only one there; there are many more people in his house. The ACP tells Jafri, I can take you from here. He refused and said, how can I go alone when there are so many others? He said, I will go only if you take the others. The ACP just refused. The moment this ACP leaves, Jafri’s house is set on fire. Why didn’t any fire extinguisher come to this society which is in the heart of Ahmedabad? Scores of people were charred to death.

So, at this stage, I took the PILs. If democracy has to function, then it is the duty of the majority to protect the minority. Who constitutes the government? It is the majority. And when they failed in this duty, that is when I took up theGujaratcase. So, when you see the system has failed, then you have to take up such causes.

http://www.hardnewsmedia.com/2012/02/4566

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down