Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi

+6
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
goodcitizn
Rishi
Kayalvizhi
truthbetold
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi Empty New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:45 pm

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Justice-Sathasivam-to-take-over-as-new-CJI-on-July-19/articleshow/20837837.cms

He wants Tamils to learn Hindi:
http://www.hindu.com/2009/06/30/stories/2009063054900500.htm

Back to top Go down

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi Empty Re: New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Rash,
What does that prove?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi Empty Re: New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:22 pm

truthbetold wrote:Rash,
What does that prove?

It proves that Sathasivam's views on Hindi are in harmonious agreement with your views (i.e. the views you have expressed earlier) on the Hindi language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:49 pm

>> "I believe in giving priority to cases relating to women and children and making enforcement of law more stringent in cases of violence against women and children," the CJI-designate told TOI.

He is not fit to be judge. Justice should be blind to gender.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:51 pm

>> He had observed that "in a democracy like ours, the national assets belong to the people" and "the government owns such assets for the purpose of developing them in the interests of the people".

His job is to interpret the laws enacted by elected people. He should not make law. Dismiss him now

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Does the judge have lukoderma?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Rash,
I do not go around advising anyone to learn Hindi.
I support Hindi as national language.
One problem for Hindi is the arrogant ignorance of Hindi native language speakers. They act as if non Hindi speakers are not following the law if they acknowledge they did nor learn Hindi.
The govt must also level the playing field by conducting national job related exams in local languages plus English. The govt must identify other heartburns and minimize them.
Hindi should be a communicating tool and stop trying to replace English as the medium of instruction at higher level.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 pm

One problem for Hindi is the arrogant ignorance of Hindi native language speakers. They act as if non Hindi speakers are not following the law if they acknowledge they did nor learn Hindi.
The govt must also level the playing field by conducting national job related exams in local languages plus English. The govt must identify other heartburns and minimize them.
Hindi should be a communicating tool and stop trying to replace English as the medium of instruction at higher level.

Hindi is not the national language, just an official language along with English. India has a multitude of national languages so to single out one as their representative is arrogant, petty and downright foolish. Kindly refrain from posting what is NOT the TRUTH.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Justice-Sathasivam-to-take-over-as-new-CJI-on-July-19/articleshow/20837837.cms

If the President, Prime Minister or Chief Justice had made a statement that all Hindians should learn Tamil, he or she would have been called a Tamil fanatic. The converse is considered patriotic since Hindians are renowned for their jingoism. The government officials have no business telling the people of India which language they should learn and which they shouldn't.

Regardless of what Hindians want, English is here to stay. It is more useful for a Tamilian to learn English than Hindi unless he wants to ply his trade in Hindi-speaking states. It is time the government did away with Hindi Prachar Sabhas and used that money to make the highest number of illiterates in India, namely, those in BIMARU regions to learn to read and write. That would be useful to the future of the citizenry in those areas. Spending that money to make Tamilians learn Hindi is a gross waste of taxpayers' money.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:53 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

Hindi is not the national language, just an official language along with English. India has a multitude of national languages so to single out one as their representative is arrogant, petty and downright foolish. Kindly refrain from posting what is NOT the TRUTH.
Gc,
You are angry and overly aggressive in your post. I will point out the flaws in your post and leave it to your judgement on the type of language you want to use in future posts.
The official language of the union of India is Hindi. While English is allowed to be used for official purposes. The use of an official language is incorrect.
Indian constitution does not recognize any language as national language. So the possibility of multitude of national languages does not exist. The premise of your "arrogant, petty and downright foolish" is baseless. If you read my sentence., it only States my opinion that I support Hindi as national language. I am sure you will agree that I have the right to state my opinions.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Gc,
your advice that I should refrain from posting what is not the truth is based on the flaws in your argument. I will let you decide on what you want to do in future.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:12 pm

I believe in giving priority to cases relating to women and children and making enforcement of law more stringent in cases of violence against women and children," the CJI-designate told TOI.

He will have a 10 month tenure and retire on April 27, 2014.

Hahahaha.. He will spend 5 months in congratulatory functions and the last 5 months on retirement function....and he wants to give P R I O R I T Y to women and children cases....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:39 pm

truthbetold wrote:Gc,
your advice that I should refrain from posting what is not the truth is based on the flaws in your argument. I will let you decide on what you want to do in future.

TBT: Whether you or a multitude of other Hindians want to call Hindi as the national language, it is NOT. It has no national status, only an official status along with English. Years back Hindians wanted English to be removed from its official status but that didn't happen. India has a multitude of languages nationally-- they are called "Indian Languages" -- including Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil and Tulu. Hindi is not the only national language.

My comments on arrogance and petty-mindedness were not directed at you but at those who indulge in jingoism. I only pointed out that it is false to call Hindi as "the" national language if your handle represents truth being told.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:15 am

goodcitizn wrote:

TBT: Whether you or a multitude of other Hindians want to call Hindi as the national language, it is NOT. It has no national status, only an official status along with English. Years back Hindians wanted English to be removed from its official status but that didn't happen. India has a multitude of languages nationally-- they are called "Indian Languages" -- including Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil and Tulu. Hindi is not the only national language.

My comments on arrogance and petty-mindedness were not directed at you but at those who indulge in jingoism. I only pointed out that it is false to call Hindi as "the" national language if your handle represents truth being told.

In my opinion GC's nonsensical views on Hindi have been demolished in this article:
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/think-rationally-about-learning-hindi-and-it-will-make-sense/article3942784.ece

The fact that more and more tamils in TN are now learning Hindi and encouraging their children to learn Hindi (see references below) also means that GC is hopelessly out of touch as far as the views on Hindi of Tamils in TN is concerned.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JQkcvMjAwOS8wMi8wMyNBcjAxMTAx
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/chennai-says-it-in-hindi/830371/0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:22 am

I agree with most of what you say. My only issue with a few fanatical people trying to stop or discourage those who wish to learn Hindi. We must not force or impose hindi or anyone. At the same time there should not be obstacles placed before people who wish to learn hindi for their own benefit. Also, i would like to assure you that although it is true that there exist some hindi fanatics who say things like 'angrezi hatao' (eliminate/remove english) they are in a clear minority as is evident by the existence of a great many english training institutes and coaching centers in the hindi heartland. Hindi/Hindustani is a tool for communication and nothing more. Additionally when english becomes widespread enough then hindi will become an obsolete tool since people in India will predominantly be using english for communication.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 am

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

In my opinion GC's nonsensical views on Hindi have been demolished in this article:
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/think-rationally-about-learning-hindi-and-it-will-make-sense/article3942784.ece

The fact that more and more tamils in TN are now learning Hindi and encouraging their children to learn Hindi (see references below) also means that GC is hopelessly out of touch as far as the views on Hindi of Tamils in TN is concerned.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JQkcvMjAwOS8wMi8wMyNBcjAxMTAx
What is utterly nonsensical is a half-baked researcher like you who, unlike me, has never been to the heartland of Tamil Nadu in recent years, has not traveled across various towns and villages interacting with Tamilians to really know to what extent Hindi is accepted or useful there. Putting Mr Copy and Mrs Paste to advance your own distorted reality of Hindi's place in Tamil Nadu is nothing but idiocy to the ultimate. Hindi is not useful for the people in Tamil Nadu. English is. Get it through your cerebrum.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:46 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

What is utterly nonsensical is a half-baked researcher like you who, unlike me, has never been to the heartland of Tamil Nadu in recent years, has not traveled across various towns and villages interacting with Tamilians to really know to what extent Hindi is accepted or useful there. Putting Mr Copy and Mrs Paste to advance your own distorted reality of Hindi's place in Tamil Nadu is nothing but idiocy to the ultimate. Hindi is not useful for the people in Tamil Nadu. English is. Get it through your cerebrum.

notwithstanding GC's claims it is evident that he has no intention of countering the views put forward in the articles whose links i have given. On another note, GC is not the only person who has traveled around TN in the last few years. Yours truly has done the same as well.
On yet another note, out of the four movies currently being shown in the town of Vellore in TN, three are hindi movies as can be seen here:
http://www.asklaila.com/upcoming-movies/Vellore/

GC, please go to Vellore to tell the people not to see Hindi movies so as to prove yourself right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 am

Hmm... Looks like Sadasivam is living in the 1960's. India has changed. We have progressive and BIMARU states. He should advocate to youngsters to learn the language and culture of the progressive regions, not of Moghul-worshipping, self-deprecating, pan-chewing, fukuler and stagnant BIMARU ways. Hindi had its chance but BIMARUs squandered it away. In fact, there is enough evidence that the efforts to give Hindi the extra importance in the country (it is akin to the reservations system) has resulted in fostering BIMARU in the Northern belt while other states progressed with time. I am sure, sensible youngsters identify BIMARU with Hindi-philia and reject it. The English accent of BIMARUs is no longer funny, it is actually indicative of backwardness fostered by Hindi mania. Uppili is right. Sadasivam will enjoy his short stint and disappear from the scene.

Last edited by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 am

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

notwithstanding GC's claims it is evident that he has no intention of countering the views put forward in the articles whose links i have given. On another note, GC is not the only person who has traveled around TN in the last few years. Yours truly has done the same as well.
On yet another note, out of the four movies currently being shown in the town of Vellore in TN, three are hindi movies as can be seen here:
http://www.asklaila.com/upcoming-movies/Vellore/

GC, please go to Vellore to tell the people not to see Hindi movies so as to prove yourself right.

What does the showing of Hindi movies in Tamil Nadu prove? Tamil movies are shown in Mumbai, Kolkata and Chicago. Does it mean that the general population understands Tamil? Btw, I can get by shopping in Delhi with my limited Hindi. Can you speak enough Tamil to do shopping in Vellore? Particularly since you claim that you've had first hand experience in having interacted with the folks there.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 am

the justice doesn't seem like a very thoughtful man and doesn't seem like a person who has spent much time thinking about education, particularly K-12 education.  in a resource limited scenario, what is needed is not three different languages and computer science (for crying out loud), but as much facility with one language (any language), the ability to think and express themselves clearly in that language and basic mathematics.  for tamilians this language is tamil.  beyond that exposure to the natural sciences.  studying hindi and computer science in a resource starved environment is a criminal waste of resources and does the students a disservice. the justice should stick to his day job and leave education to educators.

to what i have said above, i'd add civics -- a thorough knowledge of our system of government and the basic rights, responsibilities, and privileges of people in a democratic society.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:07 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Hmm... Looks like Sadasivam is living in the 1960's. India has changed. We have progressive and BIMARU states. He should advocate to youngsters to learn the language and culture of the progressive regions, not of Moghul-worshipping, self-deprecating, pan-chewing, fukuler and stagnant BIMARU ways. Hindi had its chance but BIMARUs squandered it away. In fact, there is enough evidence that the efforts to give Hindi the extra importance in the country (it is akin to the reservations system) has resulted in fostering BIMARU in the Northern belt while other states progressed with time. I am sure, sensible youngsters identify BIMARU with Hindi-philia and reject it. The English accent of BIMARUs is no longer funny, it is actually indicative of backwardness fostered by Hindi mania. Uppili is right. Sadasivam will enjoy his short stint and disappear from the scene.
Rashmun is unconcerned with the fact that BIMARU states have the highest percentage of illiterates in India. They are backward in numerous areas compared to the rest of India yet they don't seem concerned about the sorry state of affairs. You are absolutely correct on your comments.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

>>> RASHMUN 0- The fact that more and more tamils in TN are now learning Hindi and encouraging their children to learn Hindi (see references below) also means that GC is hopelessly out of touch as far as the views on Hindi of Tamils in TN is concerned.

They caught an elephant, sold to circus, starved it until it performed tricks. rashmun conclusion Elephants like doing tricks for humans.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>>> RASHMUN 0- The fact that more and more tamils in TN are now learning Hindi and encouraging their children to learn Hindi (see references below) also means that GC is hopelessly out of touch as far as the views on Hindi of Tamils in TN is concerned.

They caught an elephant, sold to circus, starved it until it performed tricks. rashmun conclusion Elephants like doing tricks for humans.

My statement is based on news articles like these:

Truth is sometimes difficult to digest for some people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:47 pm

It's more than just these few expressions. As writer Raji Cherian points out, while a Bhagyaraj film may have caricatured north Indians in the past, today a film like Vaaranam Aayiram has actor Surya, who plays an army major, unselfconsciously spouting Hindi dialogue. In a scene in the film where the hero rescues a kidnapped child from a don's den, the don asks, "Tu police hai?" and Surya responds, "Haan, main police hoon. Aur ek minute mein policewale surround kardenge."

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?240235

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Instead of asking the south indians to learn hindi so they can communicate with the north indians, effort should be made to improve the literacy rate in the north and teach them english. That helps with the communication between the north and the south, while adding many other benefits to the northies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:01 pm

The Malayali intellectual ONV Kurup says that the Hindi language helped unite the people of India during the freedom struggle, and it for this reason that the Hindi language should be respected:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-kerala/hindi-helped-unite-people-during-freedom-struggle-onv/article3001178.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 pm

This Sadasivam guy said the right thing to make Hindians happy and got chief justice post. Do you even think if he saId "Hindi imposotion is wrong" he would become chief justice.

This Gujral said, "Doordharshan TV will be used to propagatre Hindi". He was made PM although he was a light weight poligtician. Karunanidhi is a much more powerful figure. He woukd never never become PM or presudent because he opposed Hindi.

Why Gowda Went Out, and Gujral Came In As The Prime Minister? (by Usha Ramanathan),

http://www.tamiltribune.com/97/0901.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Forget what somebody said about how it would be 70-80 yrs ago. Use your own brain and think of the solution to the problem of the current times. The solution to the problem is what i wrote above. Education and teaching ppl english is the solution to the problem. Teaching south indians hindi is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:This Sadasivam guy said the right thing to make Hindians happy and got chief justice post. Do you even think if he saId "Hindi imposotion is wrong" he would become chief justice.

This Gujral said, "Doordharshan TV will be used to propagatre Hindi". He was made PM although he was a light weight poligtician. Karunanidhi is a much more powerful figure. He woukd never never become PM or presudent because he opposed Hindi.

Why Gowda Went Out, and Gujral Came In As The Prime Minister? (by Usha Ramanathan),

http://www.tamiltribune.com/97/0901.html

Karunanidhi had recited a hindi poem in public:

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/1124626/report-karunanidhi-recites-hindi-poem-in-public

He may have opposed hindi in his young days but it seems he has realized his folly and corrected his mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:11 pm

>>>  Rasmun posted The Malayali intellectual ONV Kurup says that the Hindi language helped unite the people of India during the freedom struggle,

This Malayalam intellectual must be an ignorant fellow. How many people in TN knew Hiundi before 1947? So how Hindi united India? Have you heard ablbout 1939 anti-Hindi agitation

Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee's Fantasy Land (by A. P. Thangamani),
Are Hindi zealots in high elected positions in the Indian Government living in a fantasyland? Or, are they lying about the role Hindi played (or did not play) during the freedom movement against British rule? Are they ignorant of history or are they re-writing Indian history? Couple of examples from Indian Prime Minister Vajpayee's speech are given.
http://www.tamiltribune.com/04/0301.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 pm

nenu wrote:Forget what somebody said about how it would be 70-80 yrs ago. Use your own brain and think of the solution to the problem of the current times. The solution to the problem is what i wrote above. Education and teaching ppl english is the solution to the problem. Teaching south indians hindi is not.

This is from the leading english newspaper of Calcutta:

A few months ago, M. Karunanidhi, then the chief minister, said that the Centre could establish Navodaya Vidyalayas in Tamil Nadu on the condition that they teach only Tamil and English, not Hindi. The project was shelved. What this former firebrand leader of the anti-Hindi agitation had missed was that times had changed. Residents of Tamil Nadu want to learn Hindi. Of all the students of Hindi language courses and higher degrees in the Hindi medium taught by the Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, most are from Tamil Nadu. It is the same with students of correspondence courses in Hindi taught by the Central Hindi Directorate. With India’s growing prosperity, Hindi has become a language of power, not only because Bollywood — Ms Chopra and others — dominates entertainment but also, and more pertinently, because good jobs demand mobility — out of the state and into the world. Economics is a far better spur than an imposed patriotism that would once have touted Hindi as the vehicle of national integration. Both English and Hindi are good to know; Mr Karunanidhi seems to have lost the key to history.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110703/jsp/opinion/story_14188664.jsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:15 pm

>> Rasmun again postec this nonsense: Karunanidi  may have opposed hindi in his young days but it seems he has realized his folly and corrected his mistake.

Are you saying he is not opposed to Hindi imposition today? ANSWER "yes" or "no"; I know he recited Hindi poem. It does not mean he supports hindi imposition.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Rashmun wrote:

I agree with most of what you say. My only issue with a few fanatical people trying to stop or discourage those who wish to learn Hindi. We must not force or impose hindi or anyone. At the same time there should not be obstacles placed before people who wish to learn hindi for their own benefit. Also, i would like to assure you that although it is true that there exist some hindi fanatics who say things like 'angrezi hatao' (eliminate/remove english) they are in a clear minority as is evident by the existence of a great many english training institutes and coaching centers in the hindi heartland. Hindi/Hindustani is a tool for communication and nothing more. Additionally when english becomes widespread enough then hindi will become an obsolete tool since people in India will predominantly be using english for communication.

People who live in a Basketcase state and live off of South India should be greatful for the food they get to eat and not boss around about idiotic issues.

Then the UP wallas will starve. How come no politician from ANY OTHER STATE preaches about learning Hindi?

Think starving UP for a couple of years will teach the Hindians a lesson or two in Tamil.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
nenu wrote:Forget what somebody said about how it would be 70-80 yrs ago. Use your own brain and think of the solution to the problem of the current times. The solution to the problem is what i wrote above. Education and teaching ppl english is the solution to the problem. Teaching south indians hindi is not.

A few months ago, M. Karunanidhi, then the chief minister, said that the Centre could establish Navodaya Vidyalayas in Tamil Nadu on the condition that they teach only Tamil and English, not Hindi. The project was shelved. What this former firebrand leader of the anti-Hindi agitation had missed was that times had changed. Residents of Tamil Nadu want to learn Hindi. Of all the students of Hindi language courses and higher degrees in the Hindi medium taught by the Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, most are from Tamil Nadu. It is the same with students of correspondence courses in Hindi taught by the Central Hindi Directorate. With India’s growing prosperity, Hindi has become a language of power, not only because Bollywood — Ms Chopra and others — dominates entertainment but also, and more pertinently, because good jobs demand mobility — out of the state and into the world. Economics is a far better spur than an imposed patriotism that would once have touted Hindi as the vehicle of national integration. Both English and Hindi are good to know; Mr Karunanidhi seems to have lost the key to history.

Hats off to the Bengalis for loving their language but also recognizing the importance of Hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Hats off to the Bengalis for loving their language but also recognizing the importance of Hindi.

What are you guys doing about the illiteracy in the north, btw?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 pm

nenu wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

What are you guys doing about the illiteracy in the north, btw?

the problems of the poorest of the poor is a different issue altogether. On another note:

Andhra Pradesh is among the bottom five states when it comes to literacy.

http://postnoon.com/2013/05/04/illiteracy-hamstrings-andhra-pradeshs-progress/123530

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Rashmun wrote:

http://postnoon.com/2013/05/04/illiteracy-hamstrings-andhra-pradeshs-progress/123530

We'll work on it. don't bother. Teaching them hindi is def'ly not the first priority there.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:42 pm

nenu wrote:Instead of asking the south indians to learn hindi so they can communicate with the north indians, effort should be made to improve the literacy rate in the north and teach them english. That helps with the communication between the north and the south, while adding many other benefits to the northies.
Right on!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>>> RASHMUN 0- The fact that more and more tamils in TN are now learning Hindi and encouraging their children to learn Hindi (see references below) also means that GC is hopelessly out of touch as far as the views on Hindi of Tamils in TN is concerned.

lol!  KV, I never knew you were capable of good humor in making a great point!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Why is former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu learning hindi and giving speeches in hindi?

He goes through two Hindi newspapers every day and even has teachers to help him pick up the language. Now that N Chandrababu Naidu is looking for a larger role in national politics, the former Andhra Pradesh chief minister is dead serious about learning Hindi....He is learning Hindi from a journalist as well as a teacher and is also taking help from his wife N. Bhuvaneshwari, an entrepreneur who has good command over the language.

Naidu, who had learnt the Hindi alphabet in school, goes through both the Hindi dailies published from Hyderabad every day. "He makes it a point to go through the headlines, if not the entire text," said a source....After forming the UNPA with the Samajwadi Party and other parties last year, Naidu realised the importance of Hindi for communicating not just with other UNPA leaders but also with the people at large.

As the UNPA is addressing a series of meetings on farmers' issues in different parts of the country, Naidu is delivering his speeches in Hindi.

When such public rallies were held in the Uttar Pradesh towns of Etawah in February and Azamgarh last month, he delivered the speeches in fluent Hindi much to the surprise of his UNPA allies and the public.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/India/Look-who-s-learning-Hindi-Chandrababu/Article1-302322.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:09 pm

isn't it hypocritical for TN leaders to know hindi on one hand and ask the common tamilian not to learn the language?

-----
NEW DELHI: In a "revolution" of sorts, former chief minister Jayaram Jayalalitha will address a rally in Uttar Pradesh in Hindi on Sunday to become the first top Tamil Nadu leader to bridge the north-south language divide.

Jayalalitha's speech in the town of Bareilly in the company of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav and others will mark a major leap from those tumultuous times when Tamil Nadu rose in frenzy against Hindi.

Although Jayalalitha is fluent in Hindi besides half a dozen other languages, including English, Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada, no political leader of repute from Tamil Nadu has addressed a rally in the Hindi heartland.

"It is a revolution," said K. Malaisamy, a Rajya Sabha member of Jayalalitha's AIADMK party.

"It goes to our leader's credit that she has been invited to address the people in Uttar Pradesh and it is also to the credit of Tamil Nadu and Tamil people," Malaisamy said.

The Sunday meeting in Bareilly, about 250 km from here, will bring together Jayalalitha, Mulayam Singh Yadav, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief N. Chandrababu Naidu, Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) chief Om Prakash Chautala, Asom Gana Parishad leader Brindaban Goswami and former external affairs minister K. Natwar Singh.

All of them, mostly regional satraps, are using the Uttar Pradesh electoral battle that began on Saturday to flex their muscles ahead of the next parliamentary elections due in two years.

But it will mark a watershed in India's polity where the Hindi-Tamil clash of the 1960s - also the decade when the DMK officially gave up its separatist plank - has given way to growing assimilation of different ethnic groups in a larger federal entity despite continuing hiccups.

Another AIADMK leader, who did not want to be identified, said that Jayalalitha's speech Sunday is bound to have a positive impact on Tamil Nadu and the country as a whole.

"My personal view is that some of us who come out of Tamil Nadu with only Tamil and English in our language kitty find it difficult to get ahead because we just don't know Hindi," said the leader.

"It is good in today's age to have a broad outlook, and she has that. She is already popular, and this will make her nationally more popular. It is true that there are Tamil speaking politicians in national parties," the AIADMK leader said.

"But for a prominent leader of a Dravidian party to speak in Hindi and that too in Hindi heartland, that is something."

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/1089451/report-jayalalitha-to-make-history-with-hindi-speech

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Rashmun wrote:isn't it hypocritical for TN leaders to know hindi on one hand and ask the common tamilian not to learn the language?

-----
NEW DELHI: In a "revolution" of sorts, former chief minister Jayaram Jayalalitha will address a rally in Uttar Pradesh in Hindi on Sunday to become the first top Tamil Nadu leader to bridge the north-south language divide.

Jayalalitha's speech in the town of Bareilly in the company of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav and others will mark a major leap from those tumultuous times when Tamil Nadu rose in frenzy against Hindi.

Although Jayalalitha is fluent in Hindi besides half a dozen other languages, including English, Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada, no political leader of repute from Tamil Nadu has addressed a rally in the Hindi heartland.

"It is a revolution," said K. Malaisamy, a Rajya Sabha member of Jayalalitha's AIADMK party.

"It goes to our leader's credit that she has been invited to address the people in Uttar Pradesh and it is also to the credit of Tamil Nadu and Tamil people," Malaisamy said.

The Sunday meeting in Bareilly, about 250 km from here, will bring together Jayalalitha, Mulayam Singh Yadav, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief N. Chandrababu Naidu, Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) chief Om Prakash Chautala, Asom Gana Parishad leader Brindaban Goswami and former external affairs minister K. Natwar Singh.

All of them, mostly regional satraps, are using the Uttar Pradesh electoral battle that began on Saturday to flex their muscles ahead of the next parliamentary elections due in two years.

But it will mark a watershed in India's polity where the Hindi-Tamil clash of the 1960s - also the decade when the DMK officially gave up its separatist plank - has given way to growing assimilation of different ethnic groups in a larger federal entity despite continuing hiccups.

Another AIADMK leader, who did not want to be identified, said that Jayalalitha's speech Sunday is bound to have a positive impact on Tamil Nadu and the country as a whole.

"My personal view is that some of us who come out of Tamil Nadu with only Tamil and English in our language kitty find it difficult to get ahead because we just don't know Hindi," said the leader.

"It is good in today's age to have a broad outlook, and she has that. She is already popular, and this will make her nationally more popular. It is true that there are Tamil speaking politicians in national parties," the AIADMK leader said.

"But for a prominent leader of a Dravidian party to speak in Hindi and that too in Hindi heartland, that is something."

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/1089451/report-jayalalitha-to-make-history-with-hindi-speech
So when can we expect a chief minister from any one of the BIMARU states to address a crowd in Tamil Nadu in Tamil as a nice gesture to bridge the same gap?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:16 pm

nenu wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

We'll work on it. don't bother. Teaching them hindi is def'ly not the first priority there.

What about the political leaders of Andhra Pradesh encouraging Telugus to learn Hindi?

----
Honorable Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Dr. Y S Rajashekara Reddy initiated the concept of propaganda of Hindi language.In order to encourage Telugu people to write scripts that would reflect Telugu language, culture in National Level.
Keeping this in view this great concept, Parliamentary Official Language Vice-Chairman – Ex Parliament Chairman – Andhra University Hindi Department Chairman – Acharya Yarlagadda Lakshmi Prasad has re-started Andhra Pradesh Hindi Academy. It was inaugurated by Dr. Y S Rajashekara Reddy.

http://aphindiacademy.org/e-home.html

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Rashmun wrote:
nenu wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

What about the political leaders of Andhra Pradesh encouraging Telugus to learn Hindi?

----
Honorable Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Dr. Y S Rajashekara Reddy initiated the concept of propaganda of Hindi language.In order to encourage Telugu people to write scripts that would reflect Telugu language, culture in National Level.
Keeping this in view this great concept, Parliamentary Official Language Vice-Chairman – Ex Parliament Chairman – Andhra University Hindi Department Chairman – Acharya Yarlagadda Lakshmi Prasad has re-started Andhra Pradesh Hindi Academy. It was inaugurated by Dr. Y S Rajashekara Reddy.

Why can't the Hindi-speaking politicians extend the same courtesy to south indians by addressing them in a south indian language for a change? My way or the highway is not very decent, is it?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:26 pm

requiring hindi and hiring a hindi teacher in a public (government) school cannot come at the cost of not having the best quality education money can buy in mathematics, the sciences, and basic principles of democracy.  if i have to expend $x/year to hire a hindi teacher and therefore have to settle for a lower quality science or math teacher, i am not going for it. it will be doing students in public schools a disservice. having a high quality education in math, the sciences, civics, tamil, and english are more important to their success than hindi.

you cannot compare the choices made willingly by a person who has the luxury of spending on a hindi class with the basic requirements for education in a government funded school.  i am assuming that we are talking here about expenditure of public funds in public schools. if we are not, then we have nothing to talk about, because nobody as far as i can tell is against voluntary learning of hindi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:requiring hindi and hiring a hindi teacher in a public (government) school cannot come at the cost of not having the best quality education money can buy in mathematics, the sciences, and basic principles of democracy.  if i have to expend $x/year to hire a hindi teacher and therefore have to settle for a lower quality science or math teacher, i am not going for it. it will be doing students in public schools a disservice. having a high quality education in math, the sciences, civics, tamil, and english are more important to their success than hindi.

you cannot compare the choices made willingly by a person who has the luxury of spending on a hindi class with the basic requirements for education in a government funded school.  i am assuming that we are talking here about expenditure of public funds in public schools. if we are not, then we have nothing to talk about, because nobody as far as i can tell is against voluntary learning of hindi.
Well said.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
nenu wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

----

Politicians are idiots. Use your own brain to think.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote: if we are not, then we have nothing to talk about, because nobody as far as i can tell is against voluntary learning of hindi.

or mandarin or spanish which are more useful to tamilians who want to compete globally for jobs than hindi. on the flip side perhaps if hindians learn tamil they will be more employable in malaysia and singapore.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:requiring hindi and hiring a hindi teacher in a public (government) school cannot come at the cost of not having the best quality education money can buy in mathematics, the sciences, and basic principles of democracy.  if i have to expend $x/year to hire a hindi teacher and therefore have to settle for a lower quality science or math teacher, i am not going for it. it will be doing students in public schools a disservice. having a high quality education in math, the sciences, civics, tamil, and english are more important to their success than hindi.

you can think and hypothesize all you want. Tamil parents and students in TN have made a choice and it is one which you will not like. Rather, the parents and students are clearly in agreement with Sathasivam:

Now, Tamil students want Hindi

Call it a generational shift or the compulsion of changing times, more students whose mother tongue is Tamil are now learning Hindi as their second language in schools in Coimbatore.

School teachers too feel that learning Hindi in addition to one’s mother tongue gives students an edge when it comes to relocating outside Tamil Nadu in later years.

Some parents like Tamilselvan Nachimuthu, a bank employee, are enrolling their children in private Hindi tuition centres. “If my daughter learns to speak Hindi, she would not have to be tongue-tied when I am transferred to a north Indian State,” says Nachimuthu whose father was a staunch supporter of the anti-Hindi movement.

“In our school we provide Hindi and Tamil as additional languages for students who do not have these languages as their mother tongue. Even though this was optional, we find that most Tamil students now opt to learn Hindi,” says a principal of a leading school in R S Puram. “We start teaching them alphabets from class III and slowly move on to grammar as the language is not spoken in their homes,” he adds. Teachers also give imposition to students in Hindi so that they pick up the language fast.

“Learning Hindi or any other language is a matter of choice and no one can be forced to learn or shun a language. Today, with students reaching out and making their mark at the national and international arenas, it is an important advantage to know the language.

However, if they willingly choose to turn away from it, that choice should also be respected,” says K Sathyanarayanan, principal of Mani Higher Secondary School.

Teachers also say that some parents are forcing their children to study Hindi as they feel it would help them be at home when they go for higher education in other States.

“We do have some students who are reluctant learners of the language. But we have also seen cases where a reluctant learner grasps the language fast and begins to hum Hindi melodies,” says a Hindi teacher of a school in Vada Kovai.

Interestingly, in a reverse trend, some Hindi-speaking students have started learning Tamil in schools. Champa, a class VI student of a school in R S Puram, who hails from Delhi, says she can read Tamil name boards.

“I took up to learning Tamil as an additional language from class III. Initially it was difficult, as we do not speak Tamil at home. But our teachers are patient and I am gradually picking up Tamil. Now I actually like it, when I learn new Tamil words,” she says.

http://newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/article544856.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Rashmun wrote:

you can think and hypothesize all you want. Tamil parents and students in TN have made a choice and it is one which you will not like. Rather, the parents and students are clearly in agreement with Sathasivam:

Now, Tamil students want Hindi

Call it a generational shift or the compulsion of changing times, more students whose mother tongue is Tamil are now learning Hindi as their second language in schools in Coimbatore.

School teachers too feel that learning Hindi in addition to one’s mother tongue gives students an edge when it comes to relocating outside Tamil Nadu in later years.

Some parents like Tamilselvan Nachimuthu, a bank employee, are enrolling their children in private Hindi tuition centres. “If my daughter learns to speak Hindi, she would not have to be tongue-tied when I am transferred to a north Indian State,” says Nachimuthu whose father was a staunch supporter of the anti-Hindi movement.

“In our school we provide Hindi and Tamil as additional languages for students who do not have these languages as their mother tongue. Even though this was optional, we find that most Tamil students now opt to learn Hindi,” says a principal of a leading school in R S Puram. “We start teaching them alphabets from class III and slowly move on to grammar as the language is not spoken in their homes,” he adds. Teachers also give imposition to students in Hindi so that they pick up the language fast.

“Learning Hindi or any other language is a matter of choice and no one can be forced to learn or shun a language. Today, with students reaching out and making their mark at the national and international arenas, it is an important advantage to know the language.

However, if they willingly choose to turn away from it, that choice should also be respected,” says K Sathyanarayanan, principal of Mani Higher Secondary School.

Teachers also say that some parents are forcing their children to study Hindi as they feel it would help them be at home when they go for higher education in other States.

“We do have some students who are reluctant learners of the language. But we have also seen cases where a reluctant learner grasps the language fast and begins to hum Hindi melodies,” says a Hindi teacher of a school in Vada Kovai.

Interestingly, in a reverse trend, some Hindi-speaking students have started learning Tamil in schools. Champa, a class VI student of a school in R S Puram, who hails from Delhi, says she can read Tamil name boards.

“I took up to learning Tamil as an additional language from class III. Initially it was difficult, as we do not speak Tamil at home. But our teachers are patient and I am gradually picking up Tamil. Now I actually like it, when I learn new Tamil words,” she says.

http://newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/article544856.ece

The above article should be read in conjunction with this one.

Parents opt for Hindi over Tamil in TN schools
     Ajitha Karthikeyan | TNN

Chennai: Their grandfathers took to the streets, raised slogans and even went to prison, protesting against the “imposition” of Hindi in Tamil Nadu in the 1960s. More than four decades later, many Tamil kids are studying the “rashtra bhasha” even before they can pick up the alphabets of their mother tongue.

Raj and Aruna did not think twice when they got a note from their son’s school to specify the second language they wanted their kid to learn from first standard onwards. Their unanimous choice was Hindi.

In fact, about 90% of their son’s classmates will be studying Hindi as the second language, as young parents feel their children’s horizon should extend beyond the boundaries of the state.

“At a time when we are talking about a global village, we cannot say no to Hindi anymore. Once we cross the state’s borders, we need to know Hindi for survival. I don’t want my son to be handicapped due to lack of knowledge of Hindi,” said Raj, a software professional.

“Unlike those in government jobs, people working in the private sector have to shuttle from one state to another. Hindi comes in handy at such times,” said Aarthi, a HR manager in a private firm.

However, the new-found love for Hindi is not going down well with the older generation. Soundararajan, a retired state government employee, regrets that his grandchildren are’t learning Tamil. “I am not against Hindi, but feel that children should learn to read and write their mother tongue first.”

“We have been advising parents to opt for Tamil as it is the state language. Though we tell them that their children still get to learn Hindi as a second language in the upper classes, parents clamour for Hindi,” said a teacher working for a leading CBSE school.

State public works minister Duraimurugan, one of the prominent student leaders who participated in the anti-Hindi agitation in 1965, said only the elite prefer Hindi over Tamil.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next