Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi

+6
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
goodcitizn
Rishi
Kayalvizhi
truthbetold
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi - Page 3 Empty Re: New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rishi wrote:Why are we going in circles on this topic for years?

There are more important topics such as race and caste.

The topic became important because the new Chief Justice of India is a tamilian who has taken a position on this issue.
I think you are blowing it out of proportion. Let us see what he said first:

To do so, they must be as competent in English as in Tamil. “Good command over English will you put in good stead and help get a job,” he told the students.

Then added that, for those who seek jobs in North India, knowledge of Hindi would be useful. This is far from saying that he was advocating Hindi or taking a legal position.

If a North Indian Supreme Court judge, while addressing a bunch of students on job opportunities, had said that besides knowing Hindi and English it was important to know Tamil if they took jobs in Tamil Nadu would you then label him as a Tamil Promoter?

Btw don't post pages of stuff to make a point as I have neither the patience nor inclination to sift through fluff. Give the link and share the excerpts.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi - Page 3 Empty Re: New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Kids whose parents want them to learn Hindi will continue to learn it. Why do people get so worked up over it?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The topic became important because the new Chief Justice of India is a tamilian who has taken a position on this issue.

To do so, they must be as competent in English as in Tamil. “Good command over English will you put in good stead and help get a job,” he told the students.

Then added that, for those who seek jobs in North India, knowledge of Hindi would be useful. This is far from saying that he was advocating Hindi or taking a legal position.

If a North Indian Supreme Court judge, while addressing a bunch of students on job opportunities, had said that besides knowing Hindi and English it was important to know Tamil if they took jobs in Tamil Nadu would you then label him as a Tamil Promoter?

Btw don't post pages of stuff to make a point as I have neither the patience nor inclination to sift through fluff. Give the link and share the excerpts.

Mr. Justice Sathasivam also asked the students to develop proficiency in Hindi. Recalling his short stint as the Chief Justice of the High Court in Chandigarh, he said in most of the North Indian states Hindi was the medium of communication, which if the students learnt would do well to get placed in industries or companies there.

“The States [North Indian] are also fast becoming industrialised and in becoming so, plenty of job opportunities are being created. The students to get employed there, will do well to have a mastery of the language.”

http://www.hindu.com/2009/06/30/stories/2009063054900500.htm

He is clearly asking the tamil students to develop proficiency in Hindi. He then goes on to explain why he is asking them to become proficient in hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Mr. Justice Sathasivam also asked the students to develop proficiency in Hindi. Recalling his short stint as the Chief Justice of the High Court in Chandigarh, he said in most of the North Indian states Hindi was the medium of communication, which if the students learnt would do well to get placed in industries or companies there.

“The States [North Indian] are also fast becoming industrialised and in becoming so, plenty of job opportunities are being created. The students to get employed there, will do well to have a mastery of the language.”

He is clearly asking the tamil students to develop proficiency in Hindi. He then goes on to explain why he is asking them to become proficient in hindi.
If you look into the context, as you must as a balanced reporter, he emphasizes English along with Tamil. And then adds that knowledge of Hindi is beneficial if the students want to pursue their careers in North India. Had he said that, given the burgeoning job market in Timbuktu, they ought to be well-versed in Koyra Chiini, we wouldn't be wasting so much time over this. This poor horse is so frickin' dead that any further beating is tantamount to assault and battery post mortem.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

If you look into the context, as you must as a balanced reporter, he emphasizes English along with Tamil. And then adds that knowledge of Hindi is beneficial if the students want to pursue their careers in North India. Had he said that, given the burgeoning job market in Timbuktu, they ought to be well-versed in Koyra Chiini, we wouldn't be wasting so much time over this. This poor horse is so frickin' dead that any further beating is tantamount to assault and battery post mortem.

The fact remains that he asked the tamil students to know english, hindi, and computer science. He did not ask them to learn Kannada, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Rashmun's stance on anything is a clear example of what my marketing professor once laughingly cautioned about: "If you torture the truth long enough it surrenders!"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Rashmun's stance on anything is a clear example of what my marketing professor once laughingly cautioned about: "If you torture the truth long enough it surrenders!"

I hope the following article will clear away some of the erroneous ideas of GC (and some of the my other south indian brethren) with respect to Hindi:

(2) Tamil cannot be compared to Hindi, not because Hindi is superior to Tamil (I hold all languages in equal respect) but because it is much more widespread. Tamil is only spoken in Tamil Nadu, which has a population of 72 million. But Hindi is spoken not only in the Hindi belt, but in most non-Hindi states as a second language. In the Hindi belt there are 200 million people in Uttar Pradesh, 82 million in Bihar, 75 million in Madhya Pradesh, 69 million in Rajasthan, 27 million in Jharkhand, 26 million in Chhattisgarh, 26 million in Haryana, and seven million in Himachal Pradesh. Taking into account Hindi speakers in the non-Hindi belt in India (Punjab, West Bengal, Kashmir, Orissa, Assam and other North Eastern States,Telangana, etc), the number of Hindi speakers would be about 15 times that of Tamil speakers. Apart from that, Pakistanis (who number about 200 million) also speak Hindi, though they call it Urdu. How then can Tamil be compared with Hindi? Tamil is only a regional language, while Hindi is a national language. This is not because Hindi is superior to Tamil, but due to certain historical and social reasons.

(3) English is the link language only for the elite in India, and not for the common man. Anyone coming from Tamil Nadu to other parts of India will realise this. Without knowing Hindi he will experience great difficulty (in fact one of the Tamilian judges in the Supreme Court told me very recently that he had made a great mistake in not learning Hindi since he was finding it difficult in Delhi, but now he has started learning Hindi ). Only about five per cent of Indians know English (though I myself have appealed to people to learn English, since much of the knowledge of the world is in English, and I have strongly criticised those who say “Angrezi Hatao (abolish English”). In fact Hindi is already the link language for Indians, even for many South Indians, as I had explained in my article.

(4) When I was Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, I once went to a shop in Madurai. To my surprise I heard the Tamilian shopkeeper speaking to someone on the telephone in Hindi. Since I had picked up some Tamil I said to him, “Romba nalla Hindi pesreenga. Eppadi? (You are speaking such good Hindi. How is that?”) He replied, “Arasiyalle Hindi vendaamnu solvaanga, aanaa engalikku business pananum. Adnaal kathukitten. (Politicians say that we do not want Hindi, but we have to do business. So I have learnt Hindi”). I think this shopkeeper had more sense than those who oppose Hindi.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/think-rationally-about-learning-hindi-and-it-will-make-sense/article3942784.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:26 pm

rashmun,

what does that huge cut and paste prove? Explain in a small paragraph in your own words. It would be a test of your comprehension also.

Don't run away as you did to my orther question. Its 36 hours and no asnswer from you,.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:32 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:rashmun,

what does that huge cut and paste prove? Explain in a small paragraph in your own words. It would be a test of your comprehension also.

Don't run away as you did to my orther question. Its 36 hours and no asnswer from you,.

Hahaha... those two are Ayotollah's specialty.... not to answer anything that implies his mistake and to cut/vomit when he is cornered....

It took you so long to understand him ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Corporation teachers offer free lunch, parents ask for Hindi
Kamini Mathai, TNN May 29, 2013, 05.58AM IST
New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi - Page 3 Pixel
New Chief Justice of India is a Tamilian who wants Tamils to learn Hindi - Page 3 Pixel

CHENNAI: The sun beats down her back as K Padma trudges from house to house in T Nagar in a bid to boost enrolments to the Government Girls High School. But the headmistress is feeling the heat of another burning issue , the biggest hurdle in her campaign: Most parents want their children to have the option of learning Hindi, while the government schools offer only Tamil as a second language.Aided by teachers, support staff and a couple of enthusiastic members of the school's Parent Teacher Association, Padma sticks posters, hands out pamphlets, calls out members of the household, and gives them a spiel on why they ought to shift children from private schools to government ones.

She promises everything from a math and science lab to a library with 1,000 titles and lunch, all for free. But then she's often stopped short in her tracks with the question, "Hindi?"
"We have to go by the government orders when it comes to the medium of instruction as well as second language and that means no Hindi," says Padma. "I clear the misconceptions parents have about the school. The biggest one is that parents think we do not teach English . The first thing we do is tell them we have an English and a Tamil medium school," says Padma, as she defends her school, which has a 97 pass percentage in the Class 10 board exams.
Despite her best efforts, listing every scheme—even citing how one of her students went on to become a collector while others got into engineering colleges—most parents in the locality don't seem convinced.

Housewife Ilavarasi S and her showroom salesman husband Shankar say they want their children to learn English and Hindi. "We cannot speak either and because of that we cannot leave this city. We want our children to have that option. They speak Tamil at home," says Ilavarasi , as her neighbours nod. "So if it means we have to pay 5,000 a year as school fees, we will work that much harder," she says.
Padma refuses to back down. "I am going to keep trying because we give quality education at a nominal cost of 50 to 200 a year (based on the medium of instruction)," says Padma, who stores the pamphlets in her scooter so she can hand them out every chance she gets.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-05-29/chennai/39600765_1_hindi-second-language-school-fees

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm

This is more an exception than the rule. Why don't you write to Hindi Prachar Sabha and ask them to offer free Hindi classes to Ilavarasi's kid?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:51 pm

A Hindi teacher in Chennai since 1988, Balakrishna coaches adults and children —for a nominal fee of Rs 150 a month — in written and spoken Hindi. He also prepares students for various certificate courses offered by the Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, an institution that dates back to the pre-Independence era. The Sabha now has 18,000 certified pracharaks in Chennai alone, 6,000 of whom actively teach. Says Balakrishna, a Sabha member, "There is no overt political opposition to Hindi in Chennai anymore. Whatever indirect measures, such as samacheer kalvi (uniform education) and the two-language curriculum, are introduced, they are mere political stunts."

Kevin and Manova Jacob, who are studying for the Sabha's Hindi Parichaya (introductory course) exam at Balakrishna's academy, agree. "It is important to know the national language," says Kevin. For the mathematics graduate, Hindi is a conduit to north India, where he and his brother hope to find suitable jobs. They can't speak fluent Hindi yet but hope to be able to preach the Bible in Hindi one day.

In February 2011, about 50,000 people in Tamil Nadu — 13,000 from Chennai alone — appeared for the Prathamik-level Sabha examinations, with over 95 per cent passing. Two years ago, the number was 43,000. Inter-state mobility and the trend of job-hopping are key reasons for the increase in interest in Hindi, says Balakrishnan. "The IT industry is partly responsible for this," he says. Sreenivas, a 58-year-old student at Hindi Vidya Niketan, says he realised the importance of Hindi over a decade ago but could only find time to learn it closer to his retirement. "I have lived all my life in Chennai because I don't know any other language. But I made sure my daughters studied for Hindi exams even though they couldn't study the language in their school, which followed the state board curriculum," he says.

There is a visible cultural dilation on Chennai streets, once famously protective of all things Tamil. Five years ago, Arumugam, a 55-year-old auto driver from Ambattur, would have told you off if you asked him for directions in Hindi. Today, he parks his auto on the bustling North Usman Road and calls out to people: Kahan jaana hai? (Where do you want to go?) "It helps to know basic Hindi — kitna (how much), kam (it's not enough), dur (far), aa jao (come)," says Arumugam.

Hindi has helped not only autowallahs but also ministers clinch deals, says CNV Annamalai, general secretary of the Sabha in Chennai, and member of a central government advisory committee under the Ministry of Rural Development. "I have always said, Mr Karunanidhi would have been PM long ago if only he had known Hindi. His daughter does, though. She was a Sabha student," says Annamalai, in faultless Hindi. "There is a lot of demand for Hindi in south India. In a year, six lakh people from the four southern states appear for Sabha exams," he says, adding, "Studying Hindi does not mean ignoring Tamil."

On Thanikachalam Road, R Krushnamurthy, a Hindi bookseller, says the demand for exam guides is slowly rising, but that of Hindi novels and reference books is not. "I started selling books in 1990. In 1996-97, I was selling 10,000 copies of exam guides, some of them self-published. Now the number has more than doubled," he says, adding, "There is a Hindi teacher in every apartment complex in Chennai, seriously." Balakrishnan laughs and nods. "Theruvellaam Hindi muzhakkam (the cries of Hindi in every street)," he jokes... That pretty much sums up the Hindi wave in Chennai.

- See more at: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/chennai-says-it-in-hindi/830371/0#sthash.u8y9BVQ7.dpuf

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 pm

>>> from rasmun's copy and paste
Housewife Ilavarasi S and her showroom salesman husband Shankar say they want their children to learn English and Hindi. "We cannot speak either and because of that we cannot leave this city. We want our children to have that option. They speak Tamil at home," says Ilavarasi , as her neighbours nod. "So if it means we have to pay 5,000 a year as school fees, we will work that much harder," she says.

Rashmun,
I wanted someone to explain all 400 poemsd of Puranaanooru when I was in high school. No body did. How dare they?

I want my children in Berkely learn Malayalam. School refuses to teach Malayalam. I am distributing pamphlets demanding it.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Indian gov is subsidizing teaching Hindi by mail. Fee to llearn and get diploma in Hindi is Rs. 50 only. My family tax money is funding it

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 pm

there are more important things in the world like national unity etc. than your family's tax money.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 pm

seven wrote:there are more important things in the world like national unity etc. than your family's tax money.

clap

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 pm

seven wrote:there are more important things in the world like national unity etc. than your family's tax money.

what a priceless idiot you are!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

when the Tamils of TN themselves want to learn hindi, why should NRI tamils get ants in their pants?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

when the Tamils of TN themselves want to learn hindi, why should NRI tamils get ants in their pants?

the tamils who want to learn hindi can spend their own money. you too are a priceless idiot if you don't understand this very basic point that i've made that everyone except you seem to have understood. this is about spending public funds. are you really this thick or do you just play an idiot on SUCH?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Where did you get this information? If I add all the anecdotes from your copy and paste, the total number is a tiny fraction of the total student population

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 pm

if some of us start believing that we don't need to spend as much  money for defense or protect our country from enemies. it's a waste of tax payers money, would you call them idiots or the people defending the spending?

we have to look at the bigger picture. just coz some of us are against it, we cannot compromise national unity.

our leaders believe its important for national unity that we all spoke at least one common language. not all of us have to agree with it but majority wins. 

@max
you get annoyed very easily. and judge too quickly. idiot? really??

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 pm

seven wrote:if some of us start believing that we don't need to spend as much  money for defense or protect our country from enemies. it's a waste of tax payers money, would you call them idiots or the people defending the spending?

pushing hindi is damaging to the defense of india. it's the kind of thing that leads to secessionist movements. and yes it is idiotic. just no two ways about it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:10 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
seven wrote:if some of us start believing that we don't need to spend as much  money for defense or protect our country from enemies. it's a waste of tax payers money, would you call them idiots or the people defending the spending?

pushing hindi is damaging to the defense of india. it's the kind of thing that leads to secessionist movements. and yes it is idiotic. just no two ways about it.

We are all opposed to the idea of imposing hindi on the tamils or other Indians. At the same time those tamils who wish to learn hindi should be allowed to do so without being harassed or threatend. It is intolerable that a school in TN offering hindi as a subject should be threatened with bomb threats by the language fanatics.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 pm

India's unity is NOT centered around all non Hindi-speaking states converting to Hindi, kapish?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

only when people lose sight of the big picture and think of it as imposition. get all offensive and hold it against the country. not try to understand in how many ways it will help us to have one common language. then its damaging to India's defense. 

but you're free to have your views and look at things from just one angle. i have other plans for the long wknd. not arguing with you. 

peace

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

We are all opposed to the idea of imposing hindi on the tamils or other Indians. At the same time those tamils who wish to learn hindi should be allowed to do so without being harassed or threatend. It is intolerable that a school in TN offering hindi as a subject should be threatened with bomb threats by the language fanatics.

rashmun, i am truly losing my patience with you. there are more central board schools in madras than any other city in india with the exception of delhi. they all offer hindi. the TN state govt board allows students to take any language including hindi, french, sanskrit, and telugu (and i am sure there are more langauges) past middle school as long as their school offers it. i don't think you'd see more diversity in language education in any other indian city. for one final time and if you don't get it, i really do have to conclude you are dumb as a doorknob and beyond redemption -- i am only opposed to hindi pushing using public funding in public schools, especially at the cost of more important subjects. i'd rather public school students get the same quality of math, science, and civics education that i received at the cost of not having hindi available to them. i really don't give a crap about what people do with their own money.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Fine. Abolish Hindi Prachar Sabhas in non Hindi-speaking states and take away the pre-requisite knowledge of Hindi in central government jobs. If Hindi is important let people make their own choices and let it spread through osmosis, not enforcement.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
India's unity is NOT centered around all non Hindi-speaking states converting to Hindi, kapish?

or with you.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
India's unity is NOT centered around all non-Hindi speaking states converting to Hindi, kapish?

I was born in Gujarat in a Maharashtrian family.  The two languages I imbibed almost with my mother’s milk were Marathi, my mother-tongue, and Gujarati.  The latter I learned outside my house....In my travels across India, I find that it is Hindi which is used as a link language, whether it is in Shillong or Port Blair.  Even in Tamil Nadu, strangers have come up to me to speak in Hindi even though I normally would avoid using the language on my own.  This has happened to me so often that I am convinced that the image of the Hindi-hating Tamilian is grossly untrue.  Yes, there is a politicization of the language issue, but the common people of Tamil Nadu, I feel reasonably sure, love Hindi.  Not just that, whether in Chennai or Madurai, in Trichy or Coimbatore, Hindi is spoken by surprisingly large numbers of people.  Hindi is also heard in Colombo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta, not to speak of London, Paris, Moscow, Tokyo, New York, and Toronto.  In Pakistan and in Bangladesh large sections of the population understand Hindi.  After all, Hindi and Urdu are sister languages.  In Nepal, Hindi is widely understood because it is so similar to Nepali.  Calcutta has a huge Hindi speaking population.  Hindi is also the lingua franca of Mumbai and Hyderabad.  So, Hindi is widely spoken and used in all our metros, from Amritsar to Thiruvananthapuram.

Though this essay has been mainly a narrative, it does have an implicit argument.  The argument is that Hindi belongs to the vibhashis as much as it does to the Hindi-wallah.  In the last hundred years, it has been promoted by a whole host of protagonists, from Dayanand Saraswati, Mahatama Gandhi, and Vinoba to Pandurang Shastri Athavale, Satya Sai Baba, and Asaram Bapu.  Hindi is not just the language of film songs, but also of bhajans all over India.  Non-native speakers have written nearly half of the best literature of Hindi.  Not just Ajneya, Ashak, Muktibodh, Sahani,Vaid, Sobti, and so on, but a whole nation of Punjabis, Gujaratis, Maharashtrians, Bengalis, Oriyas, and, indeed people from every corner of the land, have enriched and contributed to the language.

My romance with Hindi has not yet reached either its climax or its culmination.  Hindi has become a part of the collective psyche of millions of people like me.  What makes us proud is the we may be vibhashis, but we are still desi, as desi in fact as the cycle-rickshaw puller of Kanpur, the sugar farmer of Meerut, the brass worker of Moradabad, or the pan-walla of Benaras.  All of us togther make both Hindi and India what they are.

http://www.makarand.com/acad/HindiHainHum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Rashmun,
Remove the requirement of Hindi knowlege for Indian gov jobs including banks, LIC etc. Then see how many parents want their kids learn Hindi.

Do you know people studied French in Pondicherry and Portuguese in Goa. How many study these languages there today? Do you know why they don't study? It is the same language. Language did not vhange. Guess what changed

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:23 pm

seven wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

or with you.
Hahaha. I stand for unity in diversity not unity by homogeneity.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:26 pm

>>  In Pakistan and in Bangladesh large sections of the population understand Hindi. 

Rashmun,
Do you know that Bangladesh gov banned Hindi cartoons in their TV? Go and copy and paste in Bangladesh websites

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm

and this bomb threat business is a red herring. central board schools in chennai, including DAV which that one comment in an outlook article that rashmun has latched on to, have been offering hindi for donkey's years, or at least every since i can remember.

it's amazing -- one isolated comment in some obscure outlook article is all it takes for rashmun to proclaim something as the gospel truth. rashmun you are either unbelievably gullible, or so desperately agenda driven that you'd clutch at the most improbable straw if that's what it takes. i can't decide which. aren't you just a little ashamed of yourself?

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:28 pm

>> common people of Tamil Nadu, I feel reasonably sure, love Hindi. 

This is the kind of nonsense Rasmun copies and pastes.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> common people of Tamil Nadu, I feel reasonably sure, love Hindi. 

This is the kind of nonsense Rasmun copies and pastes.

the guy who wrote the article is a maharashtrian. his first language is marathi.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm

rashmun here is a challenge to you -- show me one mainstream publication which reported the bomb threats on account of hindi teaching in chennai schools. if you can't then stop spreading canards based on some random internet comment.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmun,
Remove the requirement of Hindi knowlege for Indian gov jobs including banks, LIC etc. Then see how many parents want their kids learn Hindi.

Do you know people studied French in Pondicherry and Portuguese in Goa. How many study these languages there today? Do you know why they don't study? It is the same language. Language did not vhange. Guess what changed
It's irritating that the Hindi speakers keep pushing their agenda down the throats of non-Hindi speakers; and even more irritating is that they do it using public funds and publicly owned companies. LIC is an example along with Indian Railways for constantly indulging in this practice. Karunanidhi along with others condemned it last year.

ChennaiA controversial circular issued by the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India asking its employees in Tamil Nadu to sign in Hindi on Mondays has come under fire. DMK Chief M Karunanidhi has condemned it. Referring to the anti-Hindi agitation in Tamil Nadu during the 1930s and 60s, he said it was a similar order that triggered those protests.

Wondering if the Centre would do the needful, the DMK Chief asked, "whether Jawaharlal Nehru's promise that Hindi would not be imposed on non-Hindi speakers has been forgotten."

In Coimbatore, members of the Periyar Dravidar Kazhagam protested outside the LIC's branch office and attempted to paint in black over Hindi writings on name boards. Around 40 people were detained by the police.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/lic-s-hindi-imposition-in-tamil-nadu-karunanidhi-fumes-245785

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 pm

there is so much crap posted by rashmun on this thread that we should probably employ one of UP's throngs of nightsoil carriers to clean it up.

note that the above comment should be read in conjunction with this comment of mine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:44 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is so much crap posted by rashmun on this thread that we should probably employ one of UP's throngs of nightsoil carriers to clean it up.

note that the above comment should be read in conjunction with this comment of mine.
LOL! If the statistics indicate that 63% of UPites defecate in public they obviously don't give a crap about crap; and the last thing we can expect of them is to clean up after Rashmun's mountaneous heaps of feces in SuCH.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rashmun here is a challenge to you -- show me one mainstream publication which reported the bomb threats on account of hindi teaching in chennai schools. if you can't then stop spreading canards based on some random internet comment.

If i give such a reference do you promise to make a post with the following sentence: "I condemn anti-Hindi fanaticism in Tamil Nadu".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

we have to look at the bigger picture. just coz some of us are against it, we cannot compromise national unity.

our leaders believe its important for national unity that we all spoke at least one common language. not all of us have to agree with it but majority wins. 
 Well said. Here is an example of a separatist organization opposing Hindi (because it knows Hindi unites the people):

GUWAHATI: Myanmar-based Ulfa hardliners led by Paresh Baruah have issued a diktat to artistes of the state to refrain from singing Hindi songs while performing during the Rongali Bihu celebrations that kick off from April 14 and stretch for more than a month.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the outfit stated that it will keep a close watch on all Bihu functions in the state and should any artiste sing a Hindi song, its cadres will raise protests at the function itself.

"We are asking the artistes to sing local folk songs instead along with Bihu songs but not Hindi numbers," the outfit stated in the statement.
The anti-talks Ulfa faction's diktat is similar to that of Manipur-based rebel outfit People's Liberation Army, whose ban on playing of Hindi songs and screening of Hindi movies has been in force in that state for over a decade now.

Rongali Bihu celebrations are marked by a large number of makeshift stage performances across the state where along with Bihu performances, the state's diverse cultural richness is showcased. Cultural troupes from neighbouring states also perform at some venues. The Bihu celebrations continue till the end of May when Bohagi Bidai (farewell to Bihu) functions are held.
Well-known artistes in the cultural fraternity refused to comment on the Ulfa diktat saying that they would rather not accord importance to the directive by commenting on it.
A security source said that every festival in the state gets the security forces on a high alert and when the state celebrates its biggest festival, Rongali Bihu, the security arrangement is tighter than ever. "We do not take chances. The anti-talks faction may down but they're not out. Ignoring them completely may cost us dearly," the source said, adding that there will be plainclothes policemen positioned at every function.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-04-11/guwahati/38462396_1_rongali-bihu-paresh-baruah-anti-talks-ulfa-faction

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rashmun here is a challenge to you -- show me one mainstream publication which reported the bomb threats on account of hindi teaching in chennai schools. if you can't then stop spreading canards based on some random internet comment.

If i give such a reference do you promise to make a post with the following sentence: "I condemn anti-Hindi fanaticism in Tamil Nadu".

i cannot condemn that which doesn't exist. on the other hand you really need to do this because right now you either look like an idiot or a charlatan.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:59 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

i cannot condemn that which doesn't exist. on the other hand you really need to do this because right now you either look like an idiot or a charlatan.

oh an another thing, the best evidence that there is no hindi fanaticism in TN are your many posts over the years on sulekha and here that tamilians are taking to hindi like fish to water. i suggest you go back and read your own posts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

oh an another thing, the best evidence that there is no hindi fanaticism in TN are your many posts over the years on sulekha and here that tamilians are taking to hindi like fish to water. i suggest you go back and read your own posts.

There is no (or very little) anti-hindi fanaticism in TN *now* but this was not the case in the 1960's. Furthermore although the person who claimed his school in Tamil Nadu had received bomb threats because it was offering hindi does not give any dates he does mention that this took place at the height of the anti-hindi agitation in TN. It is reasonable to conclude that he is talking about the 1960's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 am

Rashmun wrote:
 There is no (or very little) anti-hindi fanaticism in TN *now* but this was not the case in the 1960's. Furthermore although the person who claimed his school in Tamil Nadu had received bomb threats because it was offering hindi does not give any dates he does mention that this took place at the height of the anti-hindi agitation in TN. It is reasonable to conclude that he is talking about the 1960's.

Then dump Maulana Merlot and go after KV - who also speaks about 1960s, and lives in the 60s world.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am

what happened in the 60s was a strident expression of protest against the thoughtless imposition by the central govt. i refuse to characterize something my father participated in proudly, which resulted in the central govt changing its policy, as fanaticism.

i have never heard that bomb threats were part of that, but if they were that's regrettable. i doubt it very much though. by contrast what did happen was people immolating themselves for the cause.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am

Rashmun wrote:

I will post that if you show evidence from within last 10 years.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Well said. Here is an example of a separatist organization opposing Hindi (because it knows Hindi unites the people):
Only an idiot would claim that Hindi unites people. When you equate the knowledge of one language of India to patriotism you are creating division not unity among Indians.

To claim that India's defense and national security hinges on the knowledge of Hindi is asinine. And those who resist the imposition of Hindi are not separatists or anti-India.

There is a reason why Hindi is not the medium of communication between pilots and air traffic controllers throughout India. It is fundamentally because of human safety. English is the medium not just for international flights but also for domestic hops. Imposing Hindi would leave blood on the hands of Hindians.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:22 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Only an idiot would claim that Hindi unites people. When you equate the knowledge of one language of India to patriotism you are creating division not unity among Indians.

To claim that India's defense and national security hinges on the knowledge of Hindi is asinine. And those who resist the imposition of Hindi are not separatists or anti-India.

There is a reason why Hindi is not the medium of communication between pilots and air traffic controllers throughout India. It is fundamentally because of human safety. English is the medium not just for international flights but also for domestic hops. Imposing Hindi would leave blood on the hands of Hindians.

English is the language of communication for pilots and air traffic controllers because many of the pilots flying around India are foriegners who do not know hindi. When Kumble told Ishant Sharma to bowl another over to Ponting (after Sehwag's suggestion) he was talking in hindi as was Sehwag when he spoke to Kumble. The common language of the cricketers of the Indian cricket team is evidently Hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Hindustani has evolved as a common language over a period of several centuries. It is a useful tool for communication and it is silly and petulant for anyone to reject this tool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next