Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linguistics and genetics meet

3 posters

Go down

Linguistics and genetics meet Empty Linguistics and genetics meet

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 pm

and estimate the period when Homer's Iliad was written.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Linguistics and genetics meet Empty Re: Linguistics and genetics meet

Post by Petrichor Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Would be good to apply to Ramayana and Mahabharata as someone recommended.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Would be good to apply to Ramayana and Mahabharata as someone recommended.

Didn't they do that already with The Vedas?

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:59 am

Looks like evolutionary-linguistic phylogenetic statistical methods can only be applied if there is sufficient sample of writings or language from the period under consideration. If you have links to cognates studies of the Vedas, Ramayana or Mahabharata, please post them.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:02 pm

I thought the vedas are roughly chronologized based on the language used, the contents described in it, etc. The language has evolved from the rig veda until the atharva veda. And also the mention of the river Saraswati (in rig veda and i think in yajur too) which once existed, but dried up and ceased to exist also gave a rough idea when the vedas could've been composed. The mention of horses is also another indicator, i believe. Horses were not from the current day india. the ancient traces of horse bones were found in pak. Based on that and other indicators, it was assumed that the rig vedas were composed by ppl of the swat valley, which is in the current day pakistan. I don't remember the name of the book that I read the above stuff in. It was a long time ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm

The Mahabharata in itself is 10 times the length of the Iliad and Odyssey combined, and was probably written by several individuals over a period of centuries. It was broadly the same period when all the major works of Buddhism and Jainism were written in Sanskrit and Pali, so there is a pretty large body of literature from that time (~2,000 years ago) and place (the plains around the Sindhu and Ganga rivers).
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down