Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sehwag Dropped

+5
southindian
confuzzled dude
MaxEntropy_Man
yogi
Captain Bhankas
9 posters

Go down

Sehwag Dropped Empty Sehwag Dropped

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:30 am

that's a shocker. i mean, sehwag isn't batting well, but i thought selectors would give him two more chances. if you look at his and SRT's stats for the last two years, there isn't much difference. if SRT could be given a longish rope, why not sehwag?

harbhajan singh hangs on and that's a surprise.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Sehwag Dropped Empty Re: Sehwag Dropped

Post by yogi Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 am

haha you're joking right? Viru is well past his best and dropping him is the right decision. OTOH Sachin paaji also didn't do well in the preceding series but he went back to ranji and irani matches made changes to his techniques and more importantly scored big runs. what did sehwag do after his dismal performance against England?
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:21 am

Sehwag has been dismal on foreign tracks for the last several years (made me stop short of calling him an all-time great) and that goes against him. but if they had known this all along, and yet selected him for the domestic series against AUS, why not give him the full series? moreover, why couldn't they push him down the order (his preference anyway) and see how he performs? if he had done well there, they could have played him at 6 and dhoni at 7 in SA (i don't think we can afford to play Jadeja in SA).

SRT scored big in domestic even before the ENG series but that did not matter. however, he looks much better in this series than he looked then.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 am

i don't see why harbhajan is in the team while sehwag has been dropped. they both suck equally.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 am

Damn! Dravid, If he was lobbying for him to drop down the order he should have communicated that to fellow Marathi speaking Patil in Marathi than writing a column on ESPN in English, see what happened now, total miscommunication.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:that's a shocker. i mean, sehwag isn't batting well, but i thought selectors would give him two more chances. if you look at his and SRT's stats for the last two years, there isn't much difference. if SRT could be given a longish rope, why not sehwag?

Shewag occupied a spot that needed someone a few more innings before the SA tour and Dravid's mention of this helped selectors in agreement on Shewag exit. Harbhajan is hanging on to his recent couple wicket in recent tests and Ojha is tested and can replace Harbhajan in no time.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
SRT scored big in domestic even before the ENG series but that did not matter. however, he looks much better in this series than he looked then.

He always does man. He did in ENG, AUS and against ENG at home too.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 pm

last 10 matches.. or 11 matches SRT has an average of 22
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:last 10 matches.. or 11 matches SRT has an average of 22

Wait .. What happened here just now?

All along for a few years, I have been saying this about Tenducker and you were singing paeans about him.

Sorry pal.... He just booked his place for another 2 years with his "BIG score" (hopefully, by then Tenducker, Jr will be in the team to save India).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

All along for a few years, I have been saying this about Tenducker and you were singing paeans about him.

Sorry pal.... He just booked his place for another 2 years with his "BIG score" (hopefully, by then Tenducker, Jr will be in the team to save India).

this is just to point out the arbitrary nature of the selection cmte. not to cast aspersions on Tendulkar. SRT at the very least tried to get his form back by playing Ranji/Irani and actually scored centuries. Sehwag brought this upon himself by sitting on his bum and eating parattas. In fact if you look at all the batsmen's average over the last 10 matches it will be very low.

no amount of your name calling or keyboard rants is going to change what SRT brings/brought to the team.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:04 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

this is just to point out the arbitrary nature of the selection cmte. not to cast aspersions on Tendulkar. SRT at the very least tried to get his form back by playing Ranji/Irani and actually scored centuries. Sehwag brought this upon himself by sitting on his bum and eating parattas. In fact if you look at all the batsmen's average over the last 10 matches it will be very low.

no amount of your name calling or keyboard rants is going to change what SRT brings/brought to the team.

I am glad that you are back in your elements.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Pushing him down in the batting order would have been an option but MP sirji refuses to vacate his spot. Maybe a clean sweep and a century will inspire MP sirji to go out on a high at the end of this series. Sehwag can then be brought back as a middle order bat. He has expressed his desire to go back to the middle order a while ago. I think he deserves at least one chance to do so.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:38 pm

sehwag certainly has performance problems, but his dropping also has a political element to it. i don't think he got along well with dhoni at all. there is not reason to dump him while also carrying even more of a non-performer, harbhajan, in the team.

the dhoni-srinivasan cabal runs indian cricket any way they want these days. here is an article about indian cricket's #1 fanboy:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/622703.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sehwag certainly has performance problems, but his dropping also has a political element to it. i don't think he got along well with dhoni at all. there is not reason to dump him while also carrying even more of a non-performer, harbhajan, in the team.

the dhoni-srinivasan cabal runs indian cricket any way they want these days. here is an article about indian cricket's #1 fanboy:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/622703.html

People forget one thing about the "Butcher" He was a middle order batsman to begin with and came into the team as one. He became an opener by chance when the selectors were trying several openers - remember Dhoni as an opener? Also, for his type of swish and slash style, he needs a few overs with less swing. Middle order is an ideal spot for him. Once set, no bowling makes any difference to him and even a second new ball will be jijubi to him.

I think he still should go to SA and as a standby middle order and/or opener.

P.S. I thought he played Ranji for Delhi this season and scored one or two big scores?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm

southindian wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:that's a shocker. i mean, sehwag isn't batting well, but i thought selectors would give him two more chances. if you look at his and SRT's stats for the last two years, there isn't much difference. if SRT could be given a longish rope, why not sehwag?

Shewag occupied a spot that needed someone a few more innings before the SA tour and Dravid's mention of this helped selectors in agreement on Shewag exit. Harbhajan is hanging on to his recent couple wicket in recent tests and Ojha is tested and can replace Harbhajan in no time.

his name is not shewag, but sehwag. this is a northindian name, so why do northindians make this consistent mistake pronouncing (or spelling) his name? there was a poster by the handle name vivek at sulekha who also used to write his name as shewag.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:59 pm

the aussie press is writing him off:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/winning-indians-axe-sehwag-for-remaining-tests-20130307-2fotz.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:

his name is not shewag, but sehwag. this is a northindian name, so why do northindians make this consistent mistake pronouncing (or spelling) his name? there was a poster by the handle name vivek at sulekha who also used to write his name as shewag.

The Pami bait...

You too Max? Too bad Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:21 am

nevada wrote:Pushing him down in the batting order would have been an option but MP sirji refuses to vacate his spot. Maybe a clean sweep and a century will inspire MP sirji to go out on a high at the end of this series. Sehwag can then be brought back as a middle order bat. He has expressed his desire to go back to the middle order a while ago. I think he deserves at least one chance to do so.

i don't see that happening. SRT owes it to Indian cricket (as manjrekar said) to tour SA with the relatively inexperienced batting lineup and try to put some runs on the board. remember, SRT has 4 centuries in the last 6 tests he has played against SA (two in SA and two in IND). moreover, he has recently hit a double and a 100 (in WC) against SA attack in ODIs. if the board feels that SRT could add some value to India's batting on our tour to SA, they have a point.

Player tests in SA hundreds avg

SRT 15 5 46
RSD 11 1 29
VS 8 1 25
RP 11 3 46
BCL 9 2 46
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:54 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
nevada wrote:Pushing him down in the batting order would have been an option but MP sirji refuses to vacate his spot. Maybe a clean sweep and a century will inspire MP sirji to go out on a high at the end of this series. Sehwag can then be brought back as a middle order bat. He has expressed his desire to go back to the middle order a while ago. I think he deserves at least one chance to do so.

i don't see that happening. SRT owes it to Indian cricket (as manjrekar said) to tour SA with the relatively inexperienced batting lineup and try to put some runs on the board. remember, SRT has 4 centuries in the last 6 tests he has played against SA (two in SA and two in IND). moreover, he has recently hit a double and a 100 (in WC) against SA attack in ODIs. if the board feels that SRT could add some value to India's batting on our tour to SA, they have a point.

Player tests in SA hundreds avg

SRT 15 5 46
RSD 11 1 29
VS 8 1 25
RP 11 3 46
BCL 9 2 46

How many of those centuries resulted into wins needless to say I wouldn't count those 100s made in India when discussing about touring SA.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 am

Sehwag doesn't have a strategy to adapt himself or change. He's a 'hit or a miss' person and such players normally don't go too far. He has been in the team mainly due to support from other players. SRT has successfully adapted his game according to conditions and body response.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am

southindian wrote:Sehwag doesn't have a strategy to adapt himself or change. He's a 'hit or a miss' person and such players normally don't go too far. He has been in the team mainly due to support from other players. SRT has successfully adapted his game according to conditions and body response.

I agree for the most part but he is the most successful opener since Gavaskar, and for crying out loud he is not even a natural opener. What else is a best example of adapting oneself than this. He failed in a couple of matches and is gone. It is a known fact that Dhoni and he don't get along well which probably has contributed to this.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:26 pm

As a 'hit or a miss' player Sehwag has failed more, just as he has also succeeded in making big scores.

Dravid supported him 5 years ago during a lean patch, but this time Dravid's article questioning his inclusion despite failures, did it for Sehwag.

southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm

sehwag is the most exiting player to play for India in India. he is a flat track bully but he is the best there is. yuvraj and dhoni are behind. his brand of play goes with the risk of failures and its consequences.
confused may have a point. his relationship with dhoni may have hurt his chances. also his behaviour gives the impression of lack of interest in what is going around.
he could have taken some risk out of the game to contribute to the team in difficult times. he failed to deliver. overall this is not a bad decision.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm

So a 40+, past his prime Tendulkar is going to be our savior in SA. Just like he was during the England and Aus series. Doesn't he have an excellent record in Eng and Aus too?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:31 pm

time for srt to take rest. need to give young ones a chance. sa. will test India and the young team should learn to cope.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:26 pm

southindian wrote:As a 'hit or a miss' player Sehwag has failed more, just as he has also succeeded in making big scores.

Dravid supported him 5 years ago during a lean patch, but this time Dravid's article questioning his inclusion despite failures, did it for Sehwag.

Averaging ~50 as an opener over 70+ tests/8500 runs is a bit too much for a hit or miss player, isn't it? India has been through how many openers since entering test match arena, and how many of them averaged 50 or even 40.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 pm

In 15 games post the World Cup, Sehwag has registered three ducks and has five scores of less than 10. These are all 'misses', despite high average.

How long does India want to persist with these scores from an opener?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:44 pm

southindian wrote:In 15 games post the World Cup, Sehwag has registered three ducks and has five scores of less than 10. These are all 'misses', despite high average.

How long does India want to persist with these scores from an opener?

Stats since world cup, enough said

Player Mat In Runs HS Ave 100s 50s

Sachin 19 33 1054 94 32.93 0 8
Sehwag 17 30 892 117 29.73 1 5

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
How many of those centuries resulted into wins needless to say I wouldn't count those 100s made in India when discussing about touring SA.

do you think the board might consider a draw better then a loss? if yes, then check this and this. although not a hundred, check this as well. note the number of deliveries played in the last one.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 am

nevada wrote:So a 40+, past his prime Tendulkar is going to be our savior in SA. Just like he was during the England and Aus series. Doesn't he have an excellent record in Eng and Aus too?

that's what the board may think. the board may prefer him to the likes of nohit sharma and ajinkya rahane.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
nevada wrote:So a 40+, past his prime Tendulkar is going to be our savior in SA. Just like he was during the England and Aus series. Doesn't he have an excellent record in Eng and Aus too?

that's what the board may think. the board may prefer him to the likes of nohit sharma and ajinkya rahane.

If Rohit is given 15 test matches I'm sure he would average a healthy 30.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

do you think the board might consider a draw better then a loss? if yes, then check this and this. although not a hundred, check this as well. note the number of deliveries played in the last one.

Oh! my my we had to go back to Kapil's playing days for a few examples, that tells us something, doesn't it?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Oh! my my we had to go back to Kapil's playing days for a few examples, that tells us something, doesn't it?

his 146 didn't come when kapil dev was playing.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 am

confuzzled dude wrote:If Rohit is given 15 test matches I'm sure he would average a healthy 30.

i am sure nohit sharma will average a healthy 6.5 even after 50 tests. look at his impressive ODI scores in the last 15 games.

10, 33, 15, 0, DNB, 4, 68, 5, 0, 0, 4, 4, 4, 83, 4

this special talent will play steyn, morkel and abott? okay then!
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down