Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you agree with this theory about pariahs and the brahmins?

+2
Kris
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Do you agree with this theory about pariahs and the brahmins? Empty Do you agree with this theory about pariahs and the brahmins?

Post by Rishi Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 pm

I might remark that the Paraias of South India (yes, those whence the English language has borrowed the word pariah) form a borderline case: they certainly are known for ecstatic drumming and dancing to achieve controlled spirit possession. Their distinctive tradition stands out against Vedic Hinduism as much closer to Shamanism. Till recently, they were kept at a distance by Brahmin priests as “untouchables” not because they were despised (though they may have been that too) but because they were feared, viz. for carrying with them the world of the spirits and the dead.

http://centreright.in/2013/03/koenraad-elst-witzel-myths/#.UT_s7dZ_CSp

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Do you agree with this theory about pariahs and the brahmins? Empty Re: Do you agree with this theory about pariahs and the brahmins?

Post by Kris Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Rishi wrote:I might remark that the Paraias of South India (yes, those whence the English language has borrowed the word pariah) form a borderline case: they certainly are known for ecstatic drumming and dancing to achieve controlled spirit possession. Their distinctive tradition stands out against Vedic Hinduism as much closer to Shamanism. Till recently, they were kept at a distance by Brahmin priests as “untouchables” not because they were despised (though they may have been that too) but because they were feared, viz. for carrying with them the world of the spirits and the dead.

>>> This is giving too much credit to Brahmins in suggesting they had some rationale for untouchability. It is more a case of unquestioned bigotry. Incidentally, the hierarchical view of people by birth is not limited to just a few castes. It permeates hinduism and to some extent even certain christians and muslims..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Do you agree with this theory about pariahs and the brahmins? Empty Re: Do you agree with this theory about pariahs and the brahmins?

Post by Uppili Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 am

Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:I might remark that the Paraias of South India (yes, those whence the English language has borrowed the word pariah) form a borderline case: they certainly are known for ecstatic drumming and dancing to achieve controlled spirit possession. Their distinctive tradition stands out against Vedic Hinduism as much closer to Shamanism. Till recently, they were kept at a distance by Brahmin priests as “untouchables” not because they were despised (though they may have been that too) but because they were feared, viz. for carrying with them the world of the spirits and the dead.

>>> This is giving too much credit to Brahmins in suggesting they had some rationale for untouchability. It is more a case of unquestioned bigotry. Incidentally, the hierarchical view of people by birth is not limited to just a few castes. It permeates hinduism and to some extent even certain christians and muslims..

To be PiC: it extends to Christianity, Islam, Budhism, Sikhism, Whites, hispanics, blacks, Japs, Chinkus, Koreans, and everyone.

Evidence: the story of the recently dead Princess Lilian of Sweeden, who was isolated all through her life for belonging to ordinary folks.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 am

Uppili wrote:
Kris wrote:

To be PiC: it extends to Christianity, Islam, Budhism, Sikhism, Whites, hispanics, blacks, Japs, Chinkus, Koreans, and everyone.

Evidence: the story of the recently dead Princess Lilian of Sweeden, who was isolated all through her life for belonging to ordinary folks.

>>>Sure, but the passage quoted above pertains to brahmins. If you want to draw a parallel, it would be like suggesting that apartheid was partly based on the afrikaaner worry about christianity becoming influenced by native religions.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 am

Kris,

1. First, I posted the passage in which the author theorized as to why brahmins shunned pariahs.

2. You said it was pure bigotry. An then said "Incidentally, the hierarchical view of people by birth is not limited to just a few castes. It permeates hinduism and to some extent even certain christians and muslims.."

3. Then Uppili expanded on your last statement and said "it extends to Christianity, Islam, Budhism, Sikhism, Whites, hispanics, blacks, Japs, Chinkus, Koreans, and everyone".

4. Then you turn around and tell him "but the passage quoted above pertains to brahmins".

Does it make sense?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 am

Rishi wrote:Kris,

1. First, I posted the passage in which the author theorized as to why brahmins shunned pariahs.

2. You said it was pure bigotry. An then said "Incidentally, the hierarchical view of people by birth is not limited to just a few castes. It permeates hinduism and to some extent even certain christians and muslims.."

3. Then Uppili expanded on your last statement and said "it extends to Christianity, Islam, Budhism, Sikhism, Whites, hispanics, blacks, Japs, Chinkus, Koreans, and everyone".

4. Then you turn around and tell him "but the passage quoted above pertains to brahmins".

Does it make sense?

>>Yes, in that I am addressing the author's presumable (partial) explanation of the brahmin attitude. I am not saying other people don't have any prejudices. They do. If the author was telling us that S.African whites were worried about Christianity being diluted and that maybe partly accounts for the implementation of apartheid, my argument would have been similar. Incidentally, in this case, I was also referring to hierarchical views migrating to christianity and islam in India from Hinduism. Perhaps, that was a bit harsh in that other societies are not completely free of it. The West is perhaps the one refreshing exception here in that it is capable of self-questioning and correction, even though the transformation may be slow at times.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Koenraad Elst: making up excuses for untouchability, violence, and anything else, as long as it is done by and in the name of Hinduism. His "theory" reminds me of a theory my guruvu-gaaru once came up with to "explain" untouchability, using the germ theory of disease. Elstji should meet Sevaji and my guruvu-gaaru; together they can save Hinduism from all the ignorant youngsters who think there may be some bad elements in Hinduism.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Trofimov,
the germ theory is actually a version of the popular cleanliness is the cause of varna theory. This was stated in Britannica Encyclopedia. Whether it is right or wrong that is the belief.
There is science in daily bath, keeping the house clean etc. Have you heard of sprinkling herbally spiced water in the frond yard( kallapi jallu)?
I do not agree untouchability started because of bigotry. It probably started with some corelation between certain types of jobs and cleaniless associated with them and may even have elements of fact based observations. However it was certainly sustained by bigotry in later centuries. It is a shame that hinduism cannot shake it off in 21 st century with widely available scientific knowledge about cleanliness.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 pm

trofimov wrote:

Koenraad Elst: making up excuses for untouchability, violence, and anything else, as long as it is done by and in the name of Hinduism. His "theory" reminds me of a theory my guruvu-gaaru once came up with to "explain" untouchability, using the germ theory of disease. Elstji should meet Sevaji and my guruvu-gaaru; together they can save Hinduism from all the ignorant youngsters who think there may be some bad elements in Hinduism.

Pariahs were due to "Give it to Mikey ... he can take any shit!" theory. Nobody wants to clean toilets so it became Pariah's. Then to add more cruelty, he was called an untouchable. An example of casteism at its worst.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down