Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

indian supreme court delivers a body blow to novartis

4 posters

Go down

indian supreme court delivers a body blow to novartis Empty indian supreme court delivers a body blow to novartis

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/business/global/top-court-in-india-rejects-novartis-drug-patent.html

major news story on NPR today.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

indian supreme court delivers a body blow to novartis Empty Re: indian supreme court delivers a body blow to novartis

Post by Rishi Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:22 pm

The judgement

http://www.scribd.com/doc/133343411/Novartis-patent-Judgement

It has technical details as well.

Looks like judge Aftab Alam is a smart man.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

indian supreme court delivers a body blow to novartis Empty Re: indian supreme court delivers a body blow to novartis

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Unlike the other Pharmaceutical companies, Novartis (Ciba-Geigy) right from the beginning had a research and development center in India. The Indian center was responsible for discovering some of Ciba-Geigy's well known compounds (anti-epileptics, for example). Some of those working at the Indian unit (the late Joy David, for example) published in international journals and were known internationally.

Hopefully, Novartis won't decide to wind down their India research center. Natco and Cipla won in this battle but they are not research-driven outfits. They make their money in the generic market.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Rishi wrote:The judgement

http://www.scribd.com/doc/133343411/Novartis-patent-Judgement

It has technical details as well.

Looks like judge Aftab Alam is a smart man.

too much detail to digest but thanks for posting. i have a friend, a senior from college who is the CTO for a biosimilars company in india. he told me the reason india is so successful in the generics industry is because they have incredibly talented synthetic chemists who are churned out by the indian universities by the dozens. they don't have the wherewithal to do original research, run clinical trials etc., but give them an organic compound and they'll figure out a way to synthesize them and the chemE's who work with them will figure out a way to scale up the process. they're like magicians.

aside: did you see my new post on your calculus thread? there is no need to use reverse chain rule etc. it's much simpler. and i got misled by your first post because of your initial misplaced brackets.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm

aside: did you see my new post on your calculus thread? there is no need to use reverse chain rule etc

I saw your answer.

Thanks.

But the exercise was given as a practice to use reverse chain rule to find the anti-derivative.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 pm

Rishi wrote:aside: did you see my new post on your calculus thread? there is no need to use reverse chain rule etc

I saw your answer.

Thanks.

But the exercise was given as a practice to use reverse chain rule to find the anti-derivative.

i see. are these online courses in calculus any good? i'm thinking of having my daughter look into it over the summer. let me know how you like it as you progress. incidentally, this is one the best introductory single variable calculus texts i have ever come across. very friendly and conversational. it's a really old book, but has stood the test of time (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283). you might like it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:50 pm

The one I am taking at Coursera.org is pretty good. Dr. Jim Fowler of Ohio State teaches it. He really does a good job explaining the conceps. And he is full of energy. Plenty of practice exercises. That is what I am taking. I think you can get a lot out of these courses if you keep doing the hw, quiz and their practice exercises.

Another question. How many iterations may Newton's method to require to approximate a root of polynomial to within 1/100?

My answer was two. You stop when you get two successive approximations within the thousandth digits same.

Was I right?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i have a friend, a senior from college who is the CTO for a biosimilars company in india. he told me the reason india is so successful in the generics industry is because they have incredibly talented synthetic chemists who are churned out by the indian universities by the dozens. they don't have the wherewithal to do original research, run clinical trials etc., but give them an organic compound and they'll figure out a way to synthesize them and the chemE's who work with them will figure out a way to scale up the process. they're like magicians.

ummm.. sounds like pharma version of [code] coolies

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down