Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comments from the Public Editor

+2
Hellsangel
Petrichor
6 posters

Go down

Comments from the Public Editor Empty Comments from the Public Editor

Post by Petrichor Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:52 pm

The general quality of debate in such has shown significant improvement over such a year ago, and definitely over Sulekha forums.

There is a general appreciation for evidence-based reasoning and cautious and conservative laying out of positions as opposed to sweeping generalizations and poorly inferred logic.

So, to newbies and crusty old dogmatix, I say this - go forth and multiply the number of MOOC's you are enrolled in - including those that have the words epistemology, big data, pattern recognition and social justice in them.

Note: To HA who is itching to find an example of my own perfidy, good luck!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Comments from the Public Editor Empty Re: Comments from the Public Editor

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Ha ha ha ha.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Who is dogmatix? I was thinking of that for my next handle name!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Newbies? Who are the newbies here? I think EVERYONE here is an older Sulekhar or Sukekhini than me. And that's saying something!

This is just an incestuous echo chamber with the same old people. I was quite surprised to see people still posting stuff here.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Dogmatix could be plural for the dogs that haunt this forum with fiats on issues big and small, asserting bland statements as incontrovertible proofs, with certainty, while post-docs slave away cautiously before declaring anything anywhere near the dogmas that are spouted here. Dogmatix could have been a character in Asterix. I vote for a little less certitude and a little more circumspection, all around.

ps. but then, it would be a very bland forum indeed :p

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Dogmatix could be plural for the dogs that haunt this forum with fiats on issues big and small, asserting bland statements as incontrovertible proofs, with certainty, while post-docs slave away cautiously before declaring anything anywhere near the dogmas that are spouted here. Dogmatix could have been a character in Asterix. I vote for a little less certitude and a little more circumspection, all around.

ps. but then, it would be a very bland forum indeed :p

haha. that's not the way things are usually done. bold unproven hypotheses have often produced great strides in many fields after they have been properly vetted. i know program managers at government agencies who complain that research in certain areas has stalled and generally become insipid because people lack the balls to put forward imaginative and bold hypotheses.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bold unproven hypotheses have often produced great strides in many fields after they have been properly vetted.

You are welcome to keep hoping but I am not holding my breath for "great strides" in any field to emerge from this forum Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:49 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:The general quality of debate in such has shown significant improvement over such a year ago, and definitely over Sulekha forums.

Yeah. It's getting boring. But what to do? There's only so much of insults you can dish out. Beyond that is acceptance of the other party's basic idiocy / insincerity (Exhibit A: https://such.forumotion.com/t12076-actions-taken-by-narendra-modi-to-control-the-riots-following-godhra-train-massacre).

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:There is a general appreciation for evidence-based reasoning and cautious and conservative laying out of positions as opposed to sweeping generalizations and poorly inferred logic.

Very true. We're all getting old.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down