Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruth Prawer Jhabvala passes on..

+3
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Rishi
Kris
7 posters

Go down

Ruth Prawer Jhabvala passes on.. Empty Ruth Prawer Jhabvala passes on..

Post by Kris Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:48 am

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/04/ruth-prawer-jhabvalas-stories.html

I rather liked her work from what I remember, back when fiction was my cup of tea. Anyway, interesting woman, german-jewish ancestry, schooled in England, married to a Parsi Indian who moved to india and later to the US. The Indian stories were from her personal perspective, nothing more, nothing less, and she really blossomed with the merchant -ivory team.

RIP

Kris

Back to top Go down

Ruth Prawer Jhabvala passes on.. Empty Re: Ruth Prawer Jhabvala passes on..

Post by Rishi Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:33 pm

She was married to an Indian. And she hated India. She did not wanted to be there. In an introduction to one of her books, she said that India was backward which is a fact. She also opined that the spirituality and backwardness kept mutually reinforcing each other.

The only thing that kept her there she said was her love towards her Indian husband. It looks she paid a heavy price for that. If the place is a hellhole then you should not be hanging around there because your spouse does not want leave it.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Rishi wrote:She was married to an Indian. And she hated India. She did not wanted to be there. In an introduction to one of her books, she said that India was backward which is a fact. She also opined that the spirituality and backwardness kept mutually reinforcing each other.

The only thing that kept her there she said was her love towards her Indian husband. It looks she paid a heavy price for that. If the place is a hellhole then you should not be hanging around there because your spouse does not want leave it.
i don't think he ever left. i think he was an architect.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Rishi wrote:She was married to an Indian. And she hated India. She did not wanted to be there. In an introduction to one of her books, she said that India was backward which is a fact. She also opined that the spirituality and backwardness kept mutually reinforcing each other.

That is why she stayed in India for such a long time. And felt miserable.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 pm

**yeah, he never "passed on."

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm

** well, what was she to do - run to the big apple and go speed-dating and hook up with a nice jewish man? not possible, not with those interesting looks. yes, yes, i know the elite will find something very attracrtive and intiguing about her looks. but i can tell you, that's not what gets you the "sexy beast award" or the "premium dating pass."
** i also don't know why she passed on into the elements. she's like any normal person, she finally "died." i hate pc-speak. i just found out you can't call anyone "illegal" anymore - listen, kids, they're called "undocumented persons." baby, when can we have people classified as "taxpayers" and "non-toxpayers?"
** anyway, getting back to this woman: one reason to be pervasively sad is a parent who commits suicide. so don't blame it on india. india is where she found her husband, and he gave her a pretty good life. she lived as any upper crust woman would, she got tons of respect and nice clothes and good kids. she had freedom of speech and lived a very good life. and if she didn't like that life, she wouldn't have liked any life.
** i also think such is the only place where random story-tellers are deified. news for rishi and kris: every day that ruth lived, she passed 2-3 liters of flatus.
thank you for your time, boys and have a good day.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:33 pm

** well, what was she to do - run to the big apple and go speed-dating and hook up with a nice jewish man? not possible, not with those interesting looks. yes, yes, i know the elite will find something very attracrtive and intiguing about her looks. but i can tell you, that's not what gets you the "sexy beast award" or the "premium dating pass."
** i also don't know why she passed on into the elements. she's like any normal person, she finally "died." i hate pc-speak. i just found out you can't call anyone "illegal" anymore - listen, kids, they're called "undocumented persons." baby, when can we have people classified as "taxpayers" and "non-toxpayers?"
** anyway, getting back to this woman: one reason to be pervasively sad is a parent who commits suicide. so don't blame it on india. india is where she found her husband, and he gave her a pretty good life. she lived as any upper crust woman would, she got tons of respect and nice clothes and good kids. she had freedom of speech and lived a very good life. and if she didn't like that life, she wouldn't have liked any life.
** i also think such is the only place where random story-tellers are deified. news for rishi and kris: every day that ruth lived, she passed 2-3 liters of flatus. thanks for passing, ruth.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

** i also think such is the only place where random story-tellers are deified. news for rishi and kris: every day that ruth lived, she passed 2-3 liters of flatus. thanks for passing, ruth.

you talk this trash afterif you get married, you're getting two, not one black eyes in the first year

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

you talk this trash afterif you get married, you're getting two, not one black eyes in the first year

whoa! you have come a long way CJ -it used to be Reddy leather belt and now punching in the face.. what next, very low pH or high octane ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:36 am

>>>I don't remember much by way of specifics from her works, but I didn't find her to be intellectually dishonest. There are two things I vaguely recall. One was about Indians' ability, including her husband and daughters, to sit around shoot the breeze for hours on end, which she couldn't do. The secon was the stages a westerner goes though in India- somehting along the lines of initial excitement, irritation and fatalistic acceptance. I think I have the order right:). On staying on in India, I think that is a generational thing where wife's put their preferences below that of the husbands back in the day.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:40 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

>>>Angst ? Misanthropy? I am not able to put my finger on it..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:43 am

>>>>I believe he was. I assumed maybe he moved with her to NY, but I guess not. The husband had something unusual about his name-4 initials or some such thing. I am too lazy to google now..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:45 am

rishi, what you're talking about are people's private lives. if jhabvala said that india was backward, she meant it, because she was honest, and had the courage to speak honestly. you have no sure way to know how she felt about india and why. given her writings and screenplays, one can be fairly sure that her feelings about india were more nuanced than can be described as "hate."

according to wikipedia,

"While living in India during the 1950s, Jhabvala began to write novels about her new life there: To Whom She Will (1955), Nature of Passion (1956), Esmond in India (1957), The Householder (1960) and Get Ready for the Battle (1962). Her literary output would be steady and of a consistently high quality.

Her view of India is different from that of V. S. Naipaul or E. M. Forster. Jhabvala, unlike Naipaul, wasn't drawn to India by ancestry or, as in Forster's case, by a desire to move beyond a complacent Western liberalism. She was in Delhi, as she wrote, only because her husband was there, and she was interested not in India but in herself in India. In any case, what matters is that she managed to transmute her personal experience, however narrow, into art. Often her stories are seen from the point of view of an outsider. Some Indian critics have labelled her authorial detachment as a sign of old-fashioned Western attitudes toward India."

in other words, jhabvala's life in india and her early writings about india represent an intellectual artist's self-exploration and journey of discovery.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:53 am

Kris wrote:

>>>I don't remember much by way of specifics from her works, but I didn't find her to be intellectually dishonest. There are two things I vaguely recall. One was about Indians' ability, including her husband and daughters, to sit around shoot the breeze for hours on end, which she couldn't do. The secon was the stages a westerner goes though in India- somehting along the lines of initial excitement, irritation and fatalistic acceptance. I think I have the order right:). On staying on in India, I think that is a generational thing where wife's put their preferences below that of the husbands back in the day.

>>> I meant wives...not wife's

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:58 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:in other words, jhabvala's life in india and her early writings about india represent an intellectual artist's self-exploration and journey of discovery.
concatenate random hifalutin words and phrases to sound intellectual? ensure?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:25 am

Kris wrote:

>>>>I believe he was. I assumed maybe he moved with her to NY, but I guess not. The husband had something unusual about his name-4 initials or some such thing. I am too lazy to google now..

here's more about jhabvala from a current blog in the new yorker for which she wrote many times. an excerpt:

...starting in the seventies, she split her time between New York and New Delhi. But, in fact, that understates her geographical range...

Ruth went on to live an international life. She earned a degree in English Literature at Queen Mary College, London University, and in 1951 she married Cyrus Jhabvala, an architect. Together, they moved to Delhi, where they raised three daughters, who are now married to an Indian, an American, and an Englishman. She had never felt quite settled in India, and eventually she moved to New York.

In a 1979 lecture, Jhabvala spoke about her rootlessness. She shared her admiration for writing that emerged from a sense of tradition and landscape, but she herself felt rootless: "...blown about from country to country, culture to culture, till I feel—till I am—nothing." And yet, she said, this was one of her strengths. Many of her stories are about a kind of inner travel: feeling rootless, her protagonists find new ways to feel at home in the worlds they happen to inhabit.

i see shades of rushdie in the last paragraph. there's a 1979 photograph of her in the blog in which she appears to be wearing a poTTu.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:03 am

Kris wrote:

here's more about jhabvala from a current blog in the new yorker for which she wrote many times. an excerpt:

...starting in the seventies, she split her time between New York and New Delhi. But, in fact, that understates her geographical range...

Ruth went on to live an international life. She earned a degree in English Literature at Queen Mary College, London University, and in 1951 she married Cyrus Jhabvala, an architect. Together, they moved to Delhi, where they raised three daughters, who are now married to an Indian, an American, and an Englishman. She had never felt quite settled in India, and eventually she moved to New York.

In a 1979 lecture, Jhabvala spoke about her rootlessness. She shared her admiration for writing that emerged from a sense of tradition and landscape, but she herself felt rootless: "...blown about from country to country, culture to culture, till I feel—till I am—nothing." And yet, she said, this was one of her strengths. Many of her stories are about a kind of inner travel: feeling rootless, her protagonists find new ways to feel at home in the worlds they happen to inhabit.

i see shades of rushdie in the last paragraph. there's a 1979 photograph of her in the blog in which she appears to be wearing a poTTu.

>>>> I may go back and re-read some of her works again. I must have missed the broader theme of displacement the first time around and just saw them as individual stories. Looks like they may have a more positive tilt than Naipaul's narratives of displacement. Some of those are quite jarring, like the one where indentured laborers not making the return passage to India after several years of work in trinidad and being people of the street, with no one to speak for them. Now that I think about it, I remember a story by Jhabvala ( I think) where an English girl marries into an indian joint family and the family dynamics. She steels herself to make it work. The time frame must have been set in the 60's.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:in other words, jhabvala's life in india and her early writings about india represent an intellectual artist's self-exploration and journey of discovery.

I have to be honest here.

JM did what he himself accused TBT of doing.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

roffle roffle

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Rishi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

I have to be honest here.

JM did what he himself accused TBT of doing.
Yeah. Who knew that the old waste of tax payer money was such a hypocrite!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 am

Kris wrote:

** i actually don't understand her self-pity. lots of us have spent time on different continents with people of different cultures and we're all doing fine. india is a fantastic place for a jewish woman, i'm sure there was less prejudice against her there than even in manhattan or brooklyn in those times. i think writers tend to be self-absorbed so i can't see myself praising them. it's a leisurely life.
** also, while india is a backward country, i think the indian pre-occupation with spirituality and dharma was what prevented them from killing each other. they had an outlet for their sorrows and explanation for their poverty and ill-luck. it also allowed them to be a multi-racial and religiously diverse nation in spite of the caste system. this is a jewish woman from germany, she could've easily made a happy home in india but it looks like she just spent her time cigarette in one hand, lamenting about this and that. it's not like she gave back to the country. i don't know what the fuss is about.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:54 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

** i actually don't understand her self-pity. lots of us have spent time on different continents with people of different cultures and we're all doing fine. india is a fantastic place for a jewish woman, i'm sure there was less prejudice against her there than even in manhattan or brooklyn in those times. i think writers tend to be self-absorbed so i can't see myself praising them. it's a leisurely life.
** also, while india is a backward country, i think the indian pre-occupation with spirituality and dharma was what prevented them from killing each other. they had an outlet for their sorrows and explanation for their poverty and ill-luck. it also allowed them to be a multi-racial and religiously diverse nation in spite of the caste system. this is a jewish woman from germany, she could've easily made a happy home in india but it looks like she just spent her time cigarette in one hand, lamenting about this and that. it's not like she gave back to the country. i don't know what the fuss is about.
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:10 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>> I am not sure it is so much a matter of self-pity as it is a narrative of her experiences. I did think she made a happy home in india- seems to have had a long marriage and raised her kids in India.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down