Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quiz 4/9/13

+2
Idéfix
Mosquito
6 posters

Go down

Quiz 4/9/13 Empty Quiz 4/9/13

Post by Mosquito Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 pm

These questions are from the quiz club I am a part of. Do not google.

1. X was one of the most important composers of his time, his music has influenced many composers including Bach. But he died impoverished and was completely forgotten after his death. Interested in X was revived by Y when he tried pass his concerto as X's. Name X & Y.

2. Who are X & Y?

X: "Suppose that you succeed in destroying superstition. With what will you replace it?"
Y:" I like that. When I deliver humanity from a ferocious beast which devours it, can I be asked what I shall put in its place."

This a famous spat over religion.

3.X was known for knocking his colleagues doors at the middle of the night and saying "My brain is open". He loved epsilons and had some beef with the Supreme Fascist.

4.400 Blows is considered a path breaking film has introduced French new wave to the world. There are also 2 Indian films with very similar store lines. One was made a year before 400 blows. Name the film and the director.

5.He could not attend a premiere of his film at Cannes in 2010 citing that he had issues of Greek proportions. Some say that the film was prophetic about European financial crisis. While widely regarded as one of the most innovative film makers, he was considered by boring by likes of Ingmar Bergman. Who is he?

6. X was invited to perform at White house correspondents dinner. Response to his performance was lukewarm at its best. But the video has become a huge sensation on the internet for his roasting the president. It also made him the mod googled person that day. Who is X.

7.This actor is known for bad films. No matter how they bad they are, they always profitable. There are also a lot of jokes about this actor, which are mostly rehashed Chuck Norris jokes. However he won the national ward for the best actor for his first hindi film. Name the actor & film.

8.Which artist was the only one to perform at both major venues (Wembley and Philadelphia) during Live Aid in 1985, thanks to a Concorde flight?

9.The following passage is by someone describing a meeting/occasion. You have to identify the person behind the passage and X. Can be worked out since there are plenty of clues in the passage.

The Prime Minister, arm-in-arm with X and followed by his entourage, started to lead him into the room. I switched on my floodlights; a surprised X growled, “What’s this, what’s this?” No one had the courage to explain. I timorously stepped forward and said, “Sir, I hope I will be fortunate enough to make a portrait worthy of this historic occasion.” He glanced at me and demanded, “Why was I not told?” When his entourage began to laugh, this hardly helped matters for me. X lit a fresh cigar, puffed at it with a mischievous air, and then magnanimously relented. “You may take one.” X's cigar was ever present. I held out an ashtray, but he would not dispose of it. I went back to my camera and made sure that everything was all right technically. I waited; he continued to chomp vigorously at his cigar. I waited. Then I stepped toward him and, without premeditation, but ever so respectfully, I said, “Forgive me, sir,” and plucked the cigar out of his mouth. By the time I got back to my camera, he looked so belligerent he could have devoured me. It was at that instant that I took the photograph.

10.In one of his cases, by analyzing its remnants at scene of crime, Holmes is able to figure out the murderer's usage of an Indian city product.

Name the city and its product.

Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Quiz 4/9/13 Empty Re: Quiz 4/9/13

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 pm

2. Y is Voltaire. Don't remember who X was.

6. Stephen Colbert?

7. Mithun Chakravarty, Mrigayaa

9. Winston Churchill?

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Pope Francis wrote:These questions are from the quiz club I am a part of. Do not google.

1. X was one of the most important composers of his time, his music has influenced many composers including Bach. But he died impoverished and was completely forgotten after his death. Interested in X was revived by Y when he tried pass his concerto as X's. Name X & Y.

X is vivaldi?

3.X was known for knocking his colleagues doors at the middle of the night and saying "My brain is open". He loved epsilons and had some beef with the Supreme Fascist.

paul erdős

4.400 Blows is considered a path breaking film has introduced French new wave to the world. There are also 2 Indian films with very similar store lines. One was made a year before 400 blows. Name the film and the director.

a ritwik ghatak movie - dunno the name.

7.This actor is known for bad films. No matter how they bad they are, they always profitable. There are also a lot of jokes about this actor, which are mostly rehashed Chuck Norris jokes. However he won the national ward for the best actor for his first hindi film. Name the actor & film.

rajnikanth?

10.In one of his cases, by analyzing its remnants at scene of crime, Holmes is able to figure out the murderer's usage of an Indian city product.

trichinopoly cigar in "a study in scarlet (not pink)"

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

In art there is nothing good or bad- only you like it or you don't.

and err...what sells.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 pm

[quote="Pope Francis"]These questions are from the quiz club I am a part of. Do not google.

>>>>Mozart and Salieri

2. Who are X & Y?

X: "Suppose that you succeed in destroying superstition. With what will you replace it?"
Y:" I like that. When I deliver humanity from a ferocious beast which devours it, can I be asked what I shall put in its place."

>>>>Marx and the Pope? Wild guess

X was known for knocking his colleagues doors at the middle of the night and saying "My brain is open". He loved epsilons and had some beef with the Supreme Fascist.

>>>>Einstein?

5.He could not attend a premiere of his film at Cannes in 2010 citing that he had issues of Greek proportions. Some say that the film was prophetic about European financial crisis. While widely regarded as one of the most innovative film makers, he was considered by boring by likes of Ingmar Bergman. Who is he?

>>>>Woody Allen?

>>>>Rajnikanth

8.Which artist was the only one to perform at both major venues (Wembley and Philadelphia) during Live Aid in 1985, thanks to a Concorde flight?

>>>>Geldof

9.The following passage is by someone describing a meeting/occasion. You have to identify the person behind the passage and X. Can be worked out since there are plenty of clues in the passage.

The Prime Minister, arm-in-arm with X and followed by his entourage, started to lead him into the room. I switched on my floodlights; a surprised X growled, “What’s this, what’s this?” No one had the courage to explain. I timorously stepped forward and said, “Sir, I hope I will be fortunate enough to make a portrait worthy of this historic occasion.” He glanced at me and demanded, “Why was I not told?” When his entourage began to laugh, this hardly helped matters for me. X lit a fresh cigar, puffed at it with a mischievous air, and then magnanimously relented. “You may take one.” X's cigar was ever present. I held out an ashtray, but he would not dispose of it. I went back to my camera and made sure that everything was all right technically. I waited; he continued to chomp vigorously at his cigar. I waited. Then I stepped toward him and, without premeditation, but ever so respectfully, I said, “Forgive me, sir,” and plucked the cigar out of his mouth. By the time I got back to my camera, he looked so belligerent he could have devoured me. It was at that instant that I took the photograph.
>>>x=Churchill - don't know the rest

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am

No more takers?
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 pm

1. X is Vivaldi?
5. Is it the guy who made Inside Job?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Pope Francis wrote:7.This actor is known for bad films. No matter how they bad they are, they always profitable. There are also a lot of jokes about this actor, which are mostly rehashed Chuck Norris jokes. However he won the national ward for the best actor for his first hindi film. Name the actor & film.
PI posed this question?

Answer: mithun chakravorty & mrigaya.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Idéfix wrote:2. Y is Voltaire. Don't remember who X was.

Yes, Y is Voltaire.

6. Stephen Colbert? -Yes

7. Mithun Chakravarty, Mrigayaa - Yes

9. Winston Churchill? X is Winston Churchill. Who is the other guy?

Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm

bw wrote:
Pope Francis wrote:These questions are from the quiz club I am a part of. Do not google.

X is vivaldi?

Yes X is Vivaldi. Who is Y?

paul erdős

Erdos it is.

a ritwik ghatak movie - dunno the name.

It is a Ritwik Ghatak Film. Need the name too.

rajnikanth?

Nope.

trichinopoly cigar in "a study in scarlet (not pink)"

Yes.

Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm

[quote="Kris"]

>>>>Mozart and Salieri

No.

2. Who are X & Y?

>>>>Marx and the Pope? Wild guess

No.

X was known for knocking his colleagues doors at the middle of the night and saying "My brain is open". He loved epsilons and had some beef with the Supreme Fascist.

>>>>Einstein?

No.

>>>>Woody Allen?

No.

>>>>Rajnikanth

No.

>>>>Geldof

No.

>>>x=Churchill - don't know the rest
X is Churchill.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Idéfix wrote:1. X is Vivaldi?

Yes. But who is Y?

5. Is it the guy who made Inside Job?

Nope.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 pm

2. The other guy is Casanova I think.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Updates with hints.

X is Vivaldi, who is Y?

Y was one of the greatest violinists of his time, and is considered among the all time greats. Vivaldi was not the only guys whose name he used.

2. Who are X & Y?

Y is Voltaire. X is the tricky part. X is very well known. He is not known for philosophy but something else.

It is a film made by Ritwik Ghatak. Need the name.

Hint: His prime time was in 60s.

Hint: Well known artist. He is British.

X is winston churchill. The photograph is most quoted and most copied in the history.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Idéfix wrote:2. The other guy is Casanova I think.

Yes! It is Casanova. When I asked this question at the quiz. No one got it.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:20 pm

5. Jean-Luc Godard?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Idéfix wrote:5. Jean-Luc Godard?

Yes.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:52 pm

2. Paul Erdos
7. Rajnikanth
9. Churchill

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:02 pm

indophile wrote:2. Paul Erdos-yes
7. Rajnikanth-no
9. Churchill-no
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Mosquito wrote:Updates with hints.

X is Vivaldi, who is Y?
Y was one of the greatest violinists of his time, and is considered among the all time greats. Vivaldi was not the only guys whose name he used.

paganini??

mick jagger or eric clapton?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 pm

bw wrote:

X is Vivaldi, who is Y?

paganini??

No for both. for 1, Originally European but died American.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Mosquito wrote:
bw wrote:

X is Vivaldi, who is Y?

paganini??

for #1, is he a 20th century artist or an earlier one?

why 'mosquito'?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 pm

bw wrote:
Mosquito wrote:
bw wrote:

X is Vivaldi, who is Y?

paganini??

20th Century.

why 'mosquito'?

Want to be annoying.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Mosquito wrote:
bw wrote:
Mosquito wrote:
bw wrote:

X is Vivaldi, who is Y?

paganini??

20th Century.

why 'mosquito'?

Want to be annoying.

isn't mosquito 'doma' in telugu?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 pm

kreisler, i guess.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:41 pm

bw wrote:kreisler, i guess.

Kreisler it is.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 am

Is 8 Phil Collins?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 am

Idéfix wrote:Is 8 Phil Collins?

Yes!
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:15 am

Mosquito wrote:These questions are from the quiz club I am a part of. Do not google.

X-Vivaldi, Y- Fritz Kreisler

2. Who are X & Y?

X:Casanova Y: Voltaire

Paul Erdos.

Ritwik Ghatak - Bari Take Paliye English Title is The Runaway. Another version is Kitab made by Gulzar.

Jean-Luc Godard. The film is Filme Socialisme.

6. X was invited to perform at White house correspondents dinner. Response to his performance was lukewarm at its best. But the video has become a huge sensation on the internet for his roasting the president. It also made him the mod googled person that day. Who is X.

Stephen Colbert.

Mithun Chakraborty. He won it for Mrigaya mae by Mrinal Sen based on Mahashweta Devi's short story.

Phil Collins.

X is Winston Churchil. Photographer is Yousuf Karsh.

Trichinopoly Cigar. The story is A study in scarlet.

Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 am

bw wrote:
Mosquito wrote:
bw wrote:
Mosquito wrote:
bw wrote:

paganini??

20th Century.

why 'mosquito'?

Want to be annoying.

isn't mosquito 'doma' in telugu?

yes.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down