Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trash free picnic

Go down

Trash free picnic Empty Trash free picnic

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Didn't imagine as a kid that such a day will be challenging. Note from son's school teacher below.

Btw. This new office does not keep plastic spoons, paper bowls, cups, etc. all the time. So I keep steel spoon and fork, and ceramic bowl and mug in my drawer for needs. And I bring my reusable water bottle. I even reuse the plastic bag that I bring my lunch in, for as many days as I can keep it clean. So I guess I am pretty earth friendly even if not by choice. But still, no cloth napkins. Can't do so much.

In celebration of Earth Day, our class will be wearing green and participating in a “Trash-Free Picnic” on xxxxx.  Please try to send your child to school with a lunch that produces NO trash.  (No paper lunch bags, plastic bags, plastic or foil wrappers, disposable drink containers, paper napkins, plastic utensils, etc.)  Great ideas for our lunch include reusable/washable plastic or Tupperware containers, cloth napkins, silverware and reusable lunchboxes/nylon bags.  If your child must buy lunch on that day, please send in a reusable plastic plate to be used rather than the lunch tray. If the weather does not cooperate, we will be having an indoor picnic.
We will be comparing the amount of trash we produced from an ordinary day’s lunch with the amount we are capable of not producing if we set our minds to it. 
                Thank you for your help.

Back to top Go down

Trash free picnic Empty Re: Trash free picnic

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Didn't imagine as a kid that such a day will be challenging. Note from son's school teacher below.

Btw. This new office does not keep plastic spoons, paper bowls, cups, etc. all the time. So I keep steel spoon and fork, and ceramic bowl and mug in my drawer for needs. And I bring my reusable water bottle. I even reuse the plastic bag that I bring my lunch in, for as many days as I can keep it clean. So I guess I am pretty earth friendly even if not by choice. But still, no cloth napkins. Can't do so much.
]

Wait....u mean your school has been bought over by a Desi trust ?

BTW, if you think about it aren't we asked to do what our grandparents did ? Cloth bag, no plastic trash, car pooling, public transportation, blah blah... In this land of immigrants, this will never work. Immigrants come to this country to drive alone, throw things, waste food, and live like the "Americans"

As for me, my standard statement to the Whities is that I already paid upfront on my environmental premiums during my first 20 years, and I have earned my right to live the way I want.

P.S. Of course, I just want to have THAT right and actually don't use it at all.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down